PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the War Room! You're Colbert!

steelblood
03-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Just imagine that you are Kevin Colbert for a moment. Forget about the hot groupies and local celebrity racquetball games. It is draft weekend! The first round has just ended.

The Following players are off the board by pick 31

CB-Patrick Petersen, Prince Amukamara, Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams, Jimmy Smith
OLB-Von Miller, Aldon Smith
DT-Marcel Dareus, Nick Fairley, Corey Liuget, Muhammed Wilkerson, Stephen Paea, Phil Taylor
DE-DaQuan Bowers, Robert Quinn, J.J. Watt, Ryan Kerrigan, Cameron Jordan,
QB-Blaine Gabbert, Cam Newton
WR-A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Jon Baldwin
RB-Mark Ingram
OG-Mike Pouncey
OT-Tyron Smith, Anthony Castanzo, Gabe Carimi, Nate Solder, Derek Sherrod

In addition Adrian Clayborn is off your draft board after the medical exam reviews came back revealing even more troubles with his weakened arm and palsy condition.

There are no takers for a trade.

Tomlin turns to you and says, "When the rubber meets the road, we need to improve this team. For each of these young men, the tape is their living and breathing resume. It is time to earn your money. These are lonely jobs. Which young man will have to earn a helmet?"

Who do you take and why?

Wait! You aren't done yet. Here Comes Round 2.

The following players are off the board by pick 63

CB-Patrick Petersen, Prince Amukamara, Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams, Jimmy Smith, Ras-I-Dowling, Johnny Patrick, Curtis Brown
S-Rahim Moore,
OLB-Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Akeem Ayers, Brooks Reed, Bruce Carter, Martez Wilson
DT-Marcel Dareus, Nick Fairley, Corey Liuget, Muhammed Wilkerson, Stephen Paea, Phil Taylor, Christian Ballard
DE-DaQuan Bowers, Robert Quinn, J.J. Watt, Ryan Kerrigan, Cameron Jordan, Adrian Clayborn, Justin Houston, Cam Heyward, Allen Bailey, Jabaal Sheard
QB-Blaine Gabbert, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Ryan Mallet, Christian Ponder,
WR-A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Jon Baldwin, Titus Young, Randle Cobb, Torrey Smith, Leonard Hankerson, Jerrel Jernigan
RB-Mark Ingram, Mikel Leshoure, Ryan Williams
TE-Kyle Rudolph
OL-Mike Pouncey, Clint Boling, Marcus Cannon, Tyron Smith, Anthony Castanzo, Gabe Carimi, Nate Solder, Derek Sherrod, Danny Watkins, Orlando Franklin, Rodney Hudson, Ben Ijalana, James Carpenter, Stefen Wisniewski

Tomlin and Art want your recommendation. Who do you take in Round 2 and why?

flippy
03-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Wilson in the 1st and Paea in the 2nd.

We've got to upgrade the aging defense. And these guys will have time to develop behind 2 solid vets.

I have mixed feeling watching Wilson on tape, but he's got great size and athleticism which Tomlin should love. And with his speed, he can help in our zone coverages where Farrior is lacking. He should be able to contribute on 3rd downs in the near term.

And Paea can be the cornerstone of our 3-4 for the future. Stout and powerful guys are hard to find and Paea looks to be built in the mold of the perfect 3-4 NT. I'd consider him in the first round, but I've been reading people are saying he's more likely a 2nd rounder due to injury. I actually wouldn't even be upset if we decided to take him with our 1st round pick. This is the most crucial position on our D. And you just don't find guys this strong

Dee Dub
03-28-2011, 05:59 PM
My signature says it all. And I would have no problem moving up in round two to get Ras-I Dowling. He's a top 15 talent when healthy.

The Steelers secondary is now one of the best it's had in a long time. And that helps everything else out on the D-side of the ball.

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2011, 07:04 PM
C'mon, fellas! You've got to play along! The man specifically stated that there are no takers for a trade, so you have to pick among who steelblood has left for us. You can't have Paea or Dowling in round 2...if you really want either of them, you'll have to bite the bullet and take him at #31.

In this situation, I suppose that I would end up with Cam Heyward at 1.31 and Davon House at 2.63.

focosteeler
03-28-2011, 07:19 PM
C'mon, fellas! You've got to play along! The man specifically stated that there are no takers for a trade, so you have to pick among who steelblood has left for us. You can't have Paea or Dowling in round 2...if you really want either of them, you'll have to bite the bullet and take him at #31.

In this situation, I suppose that I would end up with Cam Heyward at 1.31 and Davon House at 2.63.

I agree i think at 1.31 Heyward would be BPA for our team and im liking House more and more at 2.63

Chadman
03-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Round 1- Cam Heyward DE
Round 2- Quinton Carter FS

birtikidis
03-28-2011, 11:42 PM
If those are the only options we have.. we will be having a very $hitty draft.

hawaiiansteel
03-29-2011, 02:51 AM
seriously, we need to find out if there aren't any other teams who might want to trade up and take Ryan Mallett, Jake Locker or Christian Ponder...

and if we still can't find any trading partners until trying 'til the very last second possible to trade down, I would take:

Round 1: Cameron Heyward DE Ohio St

Round 2: Brandon Burton CB Utah

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-29-2011, 08:34 AM
To stay with your topic if "I" was GM:

1. Martez Wilson
2. Kendrick Ellis

In that situation, who Colbert would pick:
1. Cam Heyward
2. Brandon Burton

Oviedo
03-29-2011, 08:58 AM
#31-Marcus Cannon
#63-Brandon Burton

grotonsteel
03-29-2011, 10:13 AM
I would be surprised if only 2 QB are taken in Rd 1. I would be disappointed if all these players are taken.

My Picks would be:

Rd 1. Marcus Cannon
Immediate starter at RG and can be moved to RT in a year. We get a nasty player who can play multiple position on O-line. He is mauler with a nasty streak.

Rd 2 . Davon House
Crazy ball skills. He plays the ball rather than the receiver. He always go for INT. Steelers don't have CB like him. Below average- Average run support guy and sometime could get beat deep on pump fake but i take him just because he can play press coverage and zone coverage.

flippy
03-29-2011, 11:25 AM

I was trying to play by the rules but didn't see Paea was off the board in round 2.

So I'll switch it up. I like Paea better than Wilson anyways and would have made him my first rounder if people didn't expect him to drop into the 2nd.

And then I'll take House in the 2nd since some don't think he'll last until our 3rd. And I like him and think he fits perfectly in our D. He's at least BMac in our D in a worst case scenario, but hopefully another Ike.

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2011, 12:26 PM

I was trying to play by the rules but didn't see Paea was off the board in round 2.

So I'll switch it up. I like Paea better than Wilson anyways and would have made him my first rounder if people didn't expect him to drop into the 2nd.

And then I'll take House in the 2nd since some don't think he'll last until our 3rd. And I like him and think he fits perfectly in our D. He's at least BMac in our D in a worst case scenario, but hopefully another Ike.

No problem, man. I'm not sure that I see Paea as a 3-4 NT, though. He's strong, but doesn't have the requisite bulk. Seems more like a 4-3 DT to me.

Shawn
03-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Heyward and Burton. I would be very cool with that.

sentinel33
03-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Gotta go with Grotonsteel.

Rnd. 1- Marcus Cannon

Rnd. 2- Davon House

I would be very pleased if the draft played out like this.

Add a DE in Rnd. 3