PDA

View Full Version : "What I think the Steelers are Thinking" Mock

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Disclaimer: What I am actually hoping for is in my sig. I'm willing to trade up for Pouncey, since all indications are that there should be no way he falls near 31, since everyone seems to love the kid. But this thread is not necessarily what I am hoping for...it is what I think that the Steelers may be thinking at this time. If I had to create a mock based on what I think they might do at this point, it might be something like this:

I think Colbert will look at the strengths of the draft, and will choose as such. This is an absurdly deep draft for the d-line in the first round, but the well may run dry by the time we get to our pick in the second round. While we may have a more immediate need in the secondary, the strength there is not with first round prospects, but rather with a good deal of solid prospects with a second round grade.

In the first, while the top 3-4 DE prospects like J.J. Watt and Cam Jordan should be long gone, there is still a possibility of guys like Muhammad Wilkerson or Cam Heyward being available in the late first. Since Wilkerson's stock may be rising to the point that he may go in the 20's now, Ironhead Jr. may be the pick.

In the second, candidates include Ras-I Dowling, Curtis Brown, Davon House, and Brandon Burton. I think there is more of a dropoff from Peterson/Amukamara to Smith/Harris/Williams than there is from Smith/Harris/Williams to Dowling/Brown/House/Burton. The Steelers have seemed to show the most interest in Burton so far.

In the third, Bruce Arians has a fit because we've taken 2 defensive players and no offensive players. We've had luck drafting pass catchers in round 3 in the last couple of drafts (Wallace and Sanders) and not OL (Kraig Urbik), plus Arians seems obsessed with adding a TE. Although I prefer the Jason-Witten-like Luke Stocker, he could be snatched up in the 2nd or earlier in the 3rd, so we may go with the Dustin-Keller-like Lance Kendricks.

In the fourth, they finally address the o-line. While I am intrigued by Will Rackley from small PA school Lehigh (could be similar to Pro Bowl former 4th round pick Jahri Evans from small PA school Bloomsburg a few years ago), I think the team is obsessed with players who have positional flexibility on the OL, and therefore could take DeMarcus Love from big school Arkansas instead.

In the fifth, I think they address the secondary a second time (the 5th seems to be for taking CB's lately...Gay, Burnett, Butler). They will probably prefer another big CB who could potentially move to safety if things don't work out on the corner, like Stanford's Richard Sherman, even though I think we should try a smaller, quicker guy from a small school like Buster Skrine instead.

In the sixth, I think they jump on Alex Henery if he is available. He's accurate on FG's, should be able to get us touchbacks regularly from the 35, and gives us a backup option at punter if Sepulveda's injury problems linger.

In the seventh, they seem to be looking at late-round potential replacements for Mewelde Moore as a third-down back. Guys that they have been looking at so far like Taiwan Jones, Noel Devine, and Dion Lewis may already be off the board this late in the final round. Someone like Arizona's Nic Grigsby may fit the bill.

1. Cam Heyward, DE, Ohio State
2. Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
3. Lance Kendricks, TE, Wisconsin
4. DeMarcus Love, OG'OT, Arkansas
5. Richard Sherman, CB/FS, Stanford
6. Alex Henery, K/P, Nebraska
7. Nic Grigsby, RB, Arizona

steelerkeylargo
03-28-2011, 02:19 PM
I think you are pretty spot on in this assessment. I think this is a reasonable evaluation of how it will pan out. Except for the D. Love pick. I think he is a marginal player who won't be a starter in the NFL for years. I doubt Colbert thinks very much of him and could probably draft a guy just as good in the 6th round. I would put a guy like Chris Hairston, Zach Hurd or Jah Reid in that slot.

NJ-STEELER
03-28-2011, 02:33 PM
if they like the kicker, then dont risk it and draft him in the 5th.

not risking a whole lot by passing a CB there...we've seen what late 5th round corners produce

Oviedo
03-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Disclaimer: What I am actually hoping for is in my sig. I'm willing to trade up for Pouncey, since all indications are that there should be no way he falls near 31, since everyone seems to love the kid. But this thread is not necessarily what I am hoping for...it is what I think that the Steelers may be thinking at this time. If I had to create a mock based on what I think they might do at this point, it might be something like this:

I think Colbert will look at the strengths of the draft, and will choose as such. This is an absurdly deep draft for the d-line in the first round, but the well may run dry by the time we get to our pick in the second round. While we may have a more immediate need in the secondary, the strength there is not with first round prospects, but rather with a good deal of solid prospects with a second round grade.

In the first, while the top 3-4 DE prospects like J.J. Watt and Cam Jordan should be long gone, there is still a possibility of guys like Muhammad Wilkerson or Cam Heyward being available in the late first. Since Wilkerson's stock may be rising to the point that he may go in the 20's now, Ironhead Jr. may be the pick.

In the second, candidates include Ras-I Dowling, Curtis Brown, Davon House, and Brandon Burton. I think there is more of a dropoff from Peterson/Amukamara to Smith/Harris/Williams than there is from Smith/Harris/Williams to Dowling/Brown/House/Burton. The Steelers have seemed to show the most interest in Burton so far.

In the third, Bruce Arians has a fit because we've taken 2 defensive players and no offensive players. We've had luck drafting pass catchers in round 3 in the last couple of drafts (Wallace and Sanders) and not OL (Kraig Urbik), plus Arians seems obsessed with adding a TE. Although I prefer the Jason-Witten-like Luke Stocker, he could be snatched up in the 2nd or earlier in the 3rd, so we may go with the Dustin-Keller-like Lance Kendricks.

In the fourth, they finally address the o-line. While I am intrigued by Will Rackley from small PA school Lehigh (could be similar to Pro Bowl former 4th round pick Jahri Evans from small PA school Bloomsburg a few years ago), I think the team is obsessed with players who have positional flexibility on the OL, and therefore could take DeMarcus Love from big school Arkansas instead.

In the fifth, I think they address the secondary a second time (the 5th seems to be for taking CB's lately...Gay, Burnett, Butler). They will probably prefer another big CB who could potentially move to safety if things don't work out on the corner, like Stanford's Richard Sherman, even though I think we should try a smaller, quicker guy from a small school like Buster Skrine instead.

In the sixth, I think they jump on Alex Henery if he is available. He's accurate on FG's, should be able to get us touchbacks regularly from the 35, and gives us a backup option at punter if Sepulveda's injury problems linger.

In the seventh, they seem to be looking at late-round potential replacements for Mewelde Moore as a third-down back. Guys that they have been looking at so far like Taiwan Jones, Noel Devine, and Dion Lewis may already be off the board this late in the final round. Someone like Arizona's Nic Grigsby may fit the bill.

I really hope they pass on Heyward. I'd rather see Phil Taylor or a slight overdraft of one of the other potential NTs.

flippy
03-28-2011, 03:09 PM
I wonder if we'll just sit and wait or be aggressive and trade up? I'd like to see us go up and get Watt if we move up in the 1st.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-28-2011, 03:35 PM

Nice write up. I agree that at 1.31 the BPA "might" be Heyward but it's not like he's a "can't miss" "no brainer" "must draft" value. And the position of DE is not even in our top 4 priorities. (OG, OT, CB, NT). I think the coaches are looking at 1.31 the same way we are - "There is no clear cut can't miss prospect in that range as of right now". They can either wait to see if a gem falls. Or trade up/down. This is one of those years I think Colbert is seriously considering a trade (as you mentioned).

CB - I am not convinced the coaches think that either Harris or Williams is good value at 1.31. Neither is very fast (4.5's) or quick. A first round corner should be running in the 4.4's or lower even if his technique needs refinement. i have a sneaky suspicion they are actually shooting for Dowling. He is by far the best fit for what our coaches are looking for. Extremely physical, solid technique, and surprisingly fast (4.45 with a bad hammy). Forget all the shifts in pre-draft ranking, if healthy Dowling is a mid first rounder. Period. It is only his injury that has put him into the second round. This may be a Heath Miller type situation where they draft him, let him heal up, and look like geniuses. We also need a quick footed quick closing nickel back like: Brown, Skrine, or Carmichael. Burton is a smokescreen. That's what I think that I think the coaches are thinking as far as this year's CB's.

OL - I think it's important to really understand how our coaches view "Maurkice" Pouncey. He is the cornerstone/captain of our OL. He has surpassed every expectation they had. If we had a Maurkice clone playing next to him it would solidify our interior OL (both running and pass protecting) for the next ten years. Well he does have a clone. I think Colbert and Co. have a definite number in mind. If Mike Pouncey slips to that point they WILL trade up and get him. Having said that, i predict he goes around 20-22 and we miss him. So where does that leave our "coaches" OL outlook. (assuming the top 5 tackles are gone) I think they will look for a high quality hybrid at the end of round 2, like a James Carpenter or even James Brewer, who have the actual technique and foot speed to pass protect. We already have 4-5 sluggish journeyman/developmental OT's on our roster. (Foster, Essex, Scott, Scott, Hills). Why would we draft another one? We have a huge need at OG but the drop off from Watkins to Legursky is not as much as one might think. What do we really gain there?

I think the coaches will go after our top two priorities early...

(1) Trade up for Pouncey in the first then draft the best available CB with their next pick.

(2) Trade down for Dowling then draft OT in the second.

steelblood
03-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Heyward looked good as a Junior. This season, he was mediocre until the bowl game which he dominated. I can't figure that cat out. D Love will make it in this league, but since the bowl game, his stock has been in freefall (for good reason). He is tough and nasty. Maybe he can be a successful guard. But, he seems to continually be off balance the last few months. Get the kid tested for vertigo?

Overall, I think you did a good job with a Steeler-type draft.

hawaiiansteel
03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Buster Skrine runs a 4.37 40, there's no way he lasts until the end of the 5th round. if the Steelers want him then we'll have to pull the trigger on him in the 3rd round or move up in the 4th.

Oviedo
03-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Heyward looked good as a Junior. This season, he was mediocre until the bowl game which he dominated. I can't figure that cat out. D Love will make it in this league, but since the bowl game, his stock has been in freefall (for good reason). He is tough and nasty. Maybe he can be a successful guard. But, he seems to continually be off balance the last few months. Get the kid tested for vertigo?

Overall, I think you did a good job with a Steeler-type draft.

That's my problem with Heyward. You don't know from play to play whether you'll get a 4-cyl, 6-cyl or 8-cyl engine. Sometimes it appears you may be getting a lawnmower engine.

IMO Love is a BIG risk. When someone looks that disinterested and clueless during the biggest job interview of his life that is a problem. Seems like Ciron Black, OT, LSU was last year.

hawaiiansteel
03-28-2011, 04:54 PM
That's my problem with Heyward. You don't know from play to play whether you'll get a 4-cyl, 6-cyl or 8-cyl engine. Sometimes it appears you may be getting a lawnmower engine.

IMO Love is a BIG risk. When someone looks that disinterested and clueless during the biggest job interview of his life that is a problem. Seems like Ciron Black, OT, LSU was last year.

neither Heyward nor Love seem like Steelers kind of guys...we prefer guys who go hard all the time, not just when they're in the mood to do so.