PDA

View Full Version : Flippy Mock 1.0

flippy
03-28-2011, 10:50 AM
1. Martez Wilson - LB

Fits the mold of a Mike Tomlin pick. 250lb athlete that'll bring the splash plays to our defense.

2. Stephen Paea - NT

This kid is an ox. And lucky for us, he's got a knee injury to drop him into round II. The heir apparent to Big Snack. It's fitting he set the combine record for bench pressing. He can be the future corner stone of our 3-4.

3. Davon House - CB

Ike Taylor II. This big, physical corner looks like a Steelers CB to me. He's got perfect size. And he should be able to support the run.

4. Cortez Allen - CB

Ike Taylor III. House and Allen just look like Steelers corners to me. Big, fast, and can cover. A small school gem. Potential to be the steal of the draft.

5. Rob Housler - TE

Big, fast, athletic receiving threat. I've wanted a receiver at the TE position for years to compliment the complete Miller. We don't have room on the roster for a big WR, so let's grab a TE that can be that big WR.

6. Dion Lewis - RB

The best RB in the draft. This kid is gonna be a steal. If he had better size, he'd be a sure fire first rounder. Lucky for us he's projecting to go so low. Dion will keep the wheels from falling off Rashard.

7. Alex Henery - P/PK

Let's kill 2 birds with one stone. Mike Tomlin loves positional flexibility. And why carry a punter and kicker like everyone else? The kid has a strong and accurate leg. And we've got ?s at both punter and kicker. So lets do this. As long as we don't draft him in the 3rd round, let's go for it.

Oviedo
03-28-2011, 10:55 AM
I think you have to replace Wilson and Lewis with an OL to make the draft reasonable. While I think the OL is not as bad as many make it ourt to be, no way we totally ignore OL in this draft.

Chadman
03-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Wait....what?

The OG/OT Angry Mob are waiting for you outside...

steelblood
03-28-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't like Wilson too much. Stiff and questionable diagnosis ability. But, the rest is good. Thanks. House and Allen would be good picks. Not sure Alex Henry makes it to the 7th. I'm thinking he'll be gone by the 5th as he is the best kicker in the draft. His ability to punt makes him even more valuable.

flippy
03-28-2011, 11:40 AM
I was thinking I was gonna take 2 CBs, 1 NT, 1 DE, 1 FS, 1 OG/OT, and 1 ILB.

But then when I started looking closer at who might be there when we pick, I ended up going a little different direction. And I will admit, my 7th round pick was entirely whimsical.

If you have a 7th round OG/OT prospect I'm all ears. I just figured a K might have a shot to really make the roster and contribute.

I think we're in better shape with our line than we've ever been. And we can always pick up a UDFA or sign someone via FA. Koogs is the key. And I can live with Max - Kemo - Pouncey - Bronko - Scott as our starting lineup worst case scenario for a year and wait a year to look to upgrade the unit.

I knew this wouldn't be popular, but I didn't mind the way the draft played out in my head :)

birtikidis
03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
I think you have to replace Wilson and Lewis with an OL to make the draft reasonable. While I think the OL is not as bad as many make it ourt to be, no way we totally ignore OL in this draft.
you're absolutley right. Our qb is not the most sacked qb in the NFL how many years running... our short yard run game is amazing. we have all day to make plays. we are nearly #1 across the board on offense in all categories. Why fix it?
we can't cover steven hawking with our secondary. can't stop the guy from Kids (I have no legs) wtih our run defense. give up TONS of points...
umm... ok.

steeler_george
03-29-2011, 06:13 AM
I have been reading that Wilson is value is falling and not worthy of a 1st round grade. In the Tuesday, March 29, 2011 Walterfootball mock they have falling to #44. From what I read about him he seems like a good pick for us, regardless of need.

If he is there at 31, do you take him?

Or trade back and hopes of taking him in the early second? Wilson and extra 3rd/4th? This might work, in addtion of getting him and extra picks in a deep 2-3 draft.

Or aggressively trade up in round 2 to get him? Our pick at 31 minus a our 2nd with a combo of a 3rd/4th rounder. Is he worth the cost, considering that is what it might cost us to trade up for Pouncey in the first.

Steel Life
03-29-2011, 07:22 AM
I would love to have House but I don't think he makes it to us in the 3rd. Paea is another I'd like to have too as I just don't think Fua has the upside to be be more than a 2-down player at best & just isn't the beast we need in the middle. It is curious though that you don't have any O-lineman though...if not for the talent-level issue, then just for the fact that a number of our guys are FAs.

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2011, 10:07 AM
I would love to have House but I don't think he makes it to us in the 3rd. Paea is another I'd like to have too as I just don't think Fua has the upside to be be more than a 2-down player at best & just isn't the beast we need in the middle. It is curious though that you don't have any O-lineman though...if not for the talent-level issue, then just for the fact that a number of our guys are FAs.

At this point, with the way Davon House's stock is rising, he may not even be there for us in the second round, never mind the third.

grotonsteel
03-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Apart from Rd 1 like your draft. I like the CB you are drafting and Alex in Rd 7 would be awesome for Steelers. Overall a very good draft minus Rd 1.

Wilson had a serious neck injury. I am not sure if he has recovered from that. Also he had a lackluster pro day.

"Illinois ILB Martez Wilson struggled at the Fighting Illini Pro Day according to multiple accounts.
Wilson demonstrated "stiffness," according to Sporting News' Russ Lande, and CBS Sports' Rob Rang heard even more scathing reviews. "Everyone left that workout disappointed with him," said one scout. "His footwork was bad, his hands were bad, even his countenance was bad. ... He didn't look like he wanted to be there." This won't ease concern that Wilson was a workout wonder at the Combine, running the fastest forty among linebackers. "

I would wait till Rd 3-Rd 4 to draft a player like Nate Irving. I would definately want an OG/OT in early rounds of the draft. Mike Pouncey would be ideal if not him then Sherrod.

ramblinjim
03-29-2011, 11:29 AM
My personal opinion is that if Pouncey is available at 1.31, then we should grab him, otherwise I actually agree that if he's healthy, Wilson is a Tomlin type pick (even though I'm obsessed with the fact that Michigan put up 67 points on them last year). Wilson's big, strong and fast. We'll have to teach him many of the fine points though because I just don't think he had good coaching at Illinois.

I like the Smith kid from Colorado but he seems to have enough off the field red flags that we should let someone else deal with him.

I don't see House making it to us in the third, maybe not even the second, Paea would be an excellent pick but I also don't think he'll make it to us in the 2nd. That kid just looks like a nose tackle though and I could see him being our next Big Snack.

flippy
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
I'll probably put an OG in my v2.0 of this draft. I'm not 100% sold on Wilson, but I have a feeling he's the guy Tomlin/Colbert will love out of this draft.

The more I look at this draft, the more I think I'd be ok with trading down unless there's some way we could go get JJ Watt in the 1st.

But I ended up thinking the same thing last year when our pick came up. And I didn't care for the Pouncey pick at the time. But it's worked out ok.

I'm just not sure there's gonna be major value for us when we pick in round 1 and we could get some great talent in rounds 2-3.

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't see any realistic scenario in which we could trade up for Watt. I'm hearing that Dallas may be interested in him up at #9 overall. And if not, I don't see any way he would make it even to the 20's. New England and San Diego pick back-to-back at 17 and 18, and I can't foresee a scenario in which Watt gets past all of those teams into a tradeable range for us.

flippy
03-29-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't see any realistic scenario in which we could trade up for Watt. I'm hearing that Dallas may be interested in him up at #9 overall. And if not, I don't see any way he would make it even to the 20's. New England and San Diego pick back-to-back at 17 and 18, and I can't foresee a scenario in which Watt gets past all of those teams into a tradeable range for us.

Probably no way we can get him. But for some reason, I always seem to love a guy that's just out of our potential reach.

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2011, 01:49 PM

Probably no way we can get him. But for some reason, I always seem to love a guy that's just out of our potential reach.

I always seem to love a guy that's WAY out of our reach (this year it's Patrick Peterson. In past years, it has been guys like Eric Berry, Calvin Johnson, etc.)

ramblinjim
03-29-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm kind of hoping one of the quarterbacks (Mallett?) falls to us down in the first round and another team (Washington?) would like to trade their second and third round pick for our first in order to get him before say Carolina does.

Obviously neither the Steelers or the Packers needs a quarterback. That's my hope.

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm kind of hoping one of the quarterbacks (Mallett?) falls to us down in the first round and another team (Washington?) would like to trade their second and third round pick for our first in order to get him before say Carolina does.

Obviously neither the Steelers or the Packers needs a quarterback. That's my hope.

New England owns Carolina's pick to start round 2.

Shawn
03-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Replace Wilson with Heyward and I would be ok with that draft...OL or no OL.