PDA

View Full Version : Next Man Up - Steel Life's Mock

Steel Life
03-27-2011, 01:53 PM
As April rolls into view with the draft on the horizon, it's time to start putting my proverbial drafting cards on the table. As we all know, there's so many ways to go with this draft depending on where one sees the immediate area of need. So after discarding earlier versions where I had seven consecutive OL picks, then another with seven consecutive DB picks, I finally settled on a draft where I focused on the biggest needs - nothing but kickers, punters, back-up QBs & fullbacks...& then I sobered up & put this one together. I really struggled with this as it was hard to determine the direction & team tendencies, such as whether to go with the OL Sheppard or a blue-chipper like the DL Heyward. But in the end Sheppard is an over-aged prospect & while Heyward has the pedigree, there's so much depth at DT that it was imperative to address the one area where we continually find our beloved Steelers at a disadvantage, so with the 31st pick, the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

1. CB Aaron Williams, 6-2, 200, Texas - No explanation necessary, everybody knows why we need this kid, a good all-around CB with the tools to be better than Ike.

2. OL Marcus Cannon, 6-5, 358, TCU - Whether at guard or right tackle, he's got the raw strength to handle the POA & better mobility than you'd think for a guy his size.

3. DL Lawrence Guy, 6-4, 305, Arizona St. - A nod to Aaron Smith slipping & the fact all our DLineman are 30+, this kid is big, strong, athletic & tailor-made for our DL scheme.

4. OLB Greg Romeus, 6-5, 270, Pitt - Worilds was picked to back-up Harrison, this year brings Woodley's back-up. He's got the talent, they'll find a way to get his motor running.

5. TE Andre Smith, 6-5, 269, Va. Tech - Spaeth is a FA & just can't block the way that 2nd TEs need to. Smith is like having a extra OT & the brass seems to like VT kids.

6. CB Byron Maxwell, 6-0, 202, Clemson - A safety in the pros & ST contributor, this kid can run & was one of the ACC's hardest hitters , let him learn from Ryan Clark & he could surprise.

7. OL Willie Smith, 6-5, 310, ECU - A LT project for Kugler. Has size, good feet & athleticism, but as a former DL, he needs coaching.

UDFA:
- P/K Chas Henry, 6-3, 219, Florida - A big-legged punter who can kick-off & kick FGs in a pinch.
- NT Anthony Gray, 6-0, 330, S. Miss. - Short, but a brute in the middle who put up 33 reps & had a 31.5" vertical - at 330 lbs. Two-down player only but worth developing.
- QB Scott Tolzein, 6-2, 218, Wisconsin - Smart, solid cold-weather QB, with a decent arm & play-action skills. Accurate in the middle of the field & check-downs.
- TE Jerrod Johnson, 6-5, 250, Texas A&M - An athlete who played QB & TE. Big arm but inconsistent, but has size & speed to develop as a TE in the Gates mold.
- RB Darren Evans, 6-0, 226, Va. Tech - A hard runner with speed who's still not all the way back from knee surgery, think Arian Foster.
- WR Andre Holmes, 6-4, 208, Hillsdale - A Nate Washington-like prospect with good measurables.
- OLB Bruce Miller, 6-2, 259, UCF - OLB/FB Prospect with good speed & tackling ability.

grotonsteel
03-27-2011, 06:47 PM
I like your draft.

I would go with Fua in Rd 3 instead of Lawrence Guy. I am more worried about Steelers NT position than a DE. I don't think Steelers are going to need a starting DE in 2-3 years atleast. Ziggy will be the starter next season and Brett Kiesel is best D-lineman Steelers have. Aaron SMith, Nick Eason and Steve McLendon can play as backup.

I like Greg Romeus pick. Because of his injury he is off the radar but he has a great motor.

I don't know much about OL Smith from ECU.

birtikidis
03-27-2011, 07:46 PM
I like your draft.

I would go with Fua in Rd 3 instead of Lawrence Guy. I am more worried about Steelers NT position than a DE. I don't think Steelers are going to need a starting DE in 2-3 years atleast. Ziggy will be the starter next season and Brett Kiesel is best D-lineman Steelers have. Aaron SMith, Nick Eason and Steve McLendon can play as backup.

I like Greg Romeus pick. Because of his injury he is off the radar but he has a great motor.

Fua is very intriguing. Not sold on CB in the first round.. see another Chad Scott with ALL those late first round guys (and y'all smoke too much crack if you think Harris is worth it there, he's the troy edwards of cb's this year).

grotonsteel
03-28-2011, 10:03 AM
I like your draft.

Fua is very intriguing. Not sold on CB in the first round.. see another Chad Scott with ALL those late first round guys (and y'all smoke too much crack if you think Harris is worth it there, he's the troy edwards of cb's this year).

Fua is an interesting prospect and i think he would atleast replace Hoke.I like Hoke but he is like 36 years old.

I am all for draftin Mike Pouncey in 1st Rd because i think its a value pick especially looking at the players that might be available at 31 but i think Maurkice reputation might have sky rocketed Mike Pouncey draft value.

I find it hard to believe that Mike goes beyond Cheatroits at 17.

Oviedo
03-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I really like the Romeus pick. The guy has become the forgotten man but he could be a real steal if he is healthy and the Steelers should know more than any team.

I also would consider Fua over Guy if my plan was to go after Romeus.

steelblood
03-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Nice work. I think you hit a lot of areas that we need an upgrade and you were practical in your selections and their availability.

Chadman
03-28-2011, 11:06 AM
But where's the Fullback?

focosteeler
03-28-2011, 11:49 AM
i have seen that Romeus wont be able to workout for teams until summer time...would that drop him almost completely out of the draft simply because teams wont know if he can even play?

flippy
03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Am I weird for liking almost every draft scenario at this point of the offseason?

Maybe I'm just dying for football or something.

I can convince myself just about anyone sounds like a good idea.

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Am I weird for liking almost every draft scenario at this point of the offseason?

How about this scenario? Good luck convincing yourself about this crew...

We trade our 1st and 2nd round picks for the 21st overall pick and a 4th rounder.

With that first pick, we take Jigawatts (who else would you take at pick 1.21?)

At 3.95, we take AngryAsian. He looks like Hines Ward, and Hines was drafted in the late 3rd round once upon a time. Plus 95 is Greg Lloyd's number, and he was angry all the time.

With our two picks in the 4th round, we need reinforcements in the trenches...how about RPMpit and Jooser? We know armpit's arms are bigger than Asian's waist, and we know that Joos spends the offseason wrestling with bulldogs, so they should meet the criteria.

The 5th round is where we got Gay a few years ago, so we might as well continue that trend with Queerbait's Friend.

In the 6th round, we take kicker Alex Henery from Nebraska. Either him or Chadman, whichever one is available at that point in the draft.

With our final pick, we need to finish things up with someone who will tell us what a great draft we just had...MeetJoeGreene.

flippy
03-28-2011, 12:45 PM

We trade our 1st and 2nd round picks for the 21st overall pick and a 4th rounder.

At 3.95, we take AngryAsian. He looks like Hines Ward, and Hines was drafted in the late 3rd round once upon a time. Plus 95 is Greg Lloyd's number, and he was angry all the time.

With our two picks in the 4th round, we need reinforcements in the trenches...how about RPMpit and Jooser? We know armpit's arms are bigger than Asian's waist, and we know that Joos spends the offseason wrestling with bulldogs, so they should meet the criteria.

The 5th round is where we got Gay a few years ago, so we might as well continue that trend with Queerbait's Friend.

In the 6th round, we take kicker Alex Henery from Nebraska. Either him or Chadman, whichever one is available at that point in the draft.

With our final pick, we need to finish things up with someone who will tell us what a great draft we just had...MeetJoeGreene.

MJG in the 7 is a steal!!!!!

Dee Dub
03-28-2011, 12:53 PM
3. DL Lawrence Guy, 6-4, 305, Ohio St. - A nod to Aaron Smith slipping & the fact all our DLineman are 30+, this kid is big, strong, athletic & tailor-made for our DL scheme.

Your whole mock goes out the window when you incorrectly list a players school. :lol:

Lawrence Guy went to Arizona State.

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2011, 01:04 PM

MJG in the 7 is a steal!!!!!

He may slip due a poor 40 time and some off-the-field issues. :stirpot :lol:

flippy
03-28-2011, 03:14 PM

I heard he stumbled out of the blocks and Carnell Lake was the only one who noticed and otherwise timed him well.

The off field issues shouldn't be a big deal with guys like Armpit in the lockerroom.

Steel Life
03-29-2011, 07:04 AM
But where's the Fullback?
D@mn your negativity Chadaman! :lol: Oh wait! There's FB prospect in in the UDFA Miller...but he can't play center. :wink:

Steel Life
03-29-2011, 07:06 AM
[quote="Steel Life":1b8avdzg]
3. DL Lawrence Guy, 6-4, 305, Ohio St. - A nod to Aaron Smith slipping & the fact all our DLineman are 30+, this kid is big, strong, athletic & tailor-made for our DL scheme.

Your whole mock goes out the window when you incorrectly list a players school. :lol:

Lawrence Guy went to Arizona State.[/quote:1b8avdzg]
I have no idea what you're talking about :wink: , that was left over from when I was debating having Heyward as the first pick, d@mn you cut & paste!

Steel Life
03-29-2011, 07:11 AM

I heard he stumbled out of the blocks and Carnell Lake was the only one who noticed and otherwise timed him well.

The off field issues shouldn't be a big deal with guys like Armpit in the lockerroom.
I took them all off my draft board after allegations of public drunkeness came to light...I'm sure pictures could be provided by people here to support it. :lol: