PDA

View Full Version : Awesome draft trade scenario

D Rock
03-26-2011, 12:04 PM
So I've been checking out the points on the trade value chart, and thinking about which team might be looking to jump to the end of round 1 for a QB (Locker or Mallet should be available, as well as Ponder, Kaepernick, or Dalton if a team really likes on of those guys)...

Jacksonville is an option, and they pick in the middle of the round. The Steelers pick at 1(31) is valued at 600. Jacksonville has picks 2(49) and 3(80) for values of 410 and 190. Looks like a matched made in heaven to me.

That would leave the Steelers with:

2(49)
2(63)
3(80)
3(93)
4(127)
5(159)
6(191)
7(223)

As far as filling in the mock draft, I'll leave that to some of you folks who study up more.

birtikidis
03-26-2011, 12:12 PM
I'd rather go with quality then quantity.
I'd rather give up a third and fourth to get a guy like pouncey then to trade back.
I wouldn't mind Pouncey in the first and Dowling in the 2nd. work a trade out to get back into the third and take Fua (or however you spell it).

D Rock
03-26-2011, 12:26 PM
I'd rather have Pouncey too.

To jump Seattle and Baltimore they would need to move up to 24...that would probably take our 3rd and maybe 5th or 6th.

I don't think they would have the firepower left to get back into the third without giving something up from next year's draft. That would leave it looking something like this...

1 - Pouncey
2 - Dowling/Burton
4 - NT?
5/6 - TE?
7 - Oline?

I just don't know if that is enough to fill the wholes on this team that exist now and in the near future.

birtikidis
03-26-2011, 12:32 PM
I'd rather have Pouncey too.

To jump Seattle and Baltimore they would need to move up to 24...that would probably take our 3rd and maybe 5th or 6th.

I don't think they would have the firepower left to get back into the third without giving something up from next year's draft. That would leave it looking something like this...

1 - Pouncey
2 - Dowling/Burton
4 - NT?
5/6 - TE?
7 - Oline?

I just don't know if that is enough to fill the wholes on this team that exist now and in the near future.
D, I wouldn't be unhappy with that. I'm a big supporter of Foster as a Tackle, I really think he could be the future on the Right side. I'd rather grab a second corner in the 5th for depth. I could see a need for a safety too just because troy and ryan are getting up there.. maybe a guy in the 5th or 6th. Te? nah, I don't see a need there. I don't mind Spaeth as the number 2 guy. I think it's more with playcalling when it comes to our TE's...

D Rock
03-26-2011, 12:39 PM
They could also then package their 4,5, and 6 to get into the early 4th round for one last solid prospect...probably somewhere around pick 103 or so.

That's 5 picks in the top ~100. I'd feel good about that.

2(49) - Marcus Cannon, OG
2(63) - Ras-I Dowling/Brandon Burton, CB
3(80) - Sione Fua, NT
3(95) - Robert Sands, S
4(103) - Taiwan Jones, RB
7(223) - Alex Henery, K/P

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2011, 02:21 PM
[quote="D Rock"
Jacksonville is an option, and they pick in the middle of the round. The Steelers pick at 1(31) is valued at 600. Jacksonville has picks 2(49) and 3(80) for values of 410 and 190. Looks like a matched made in heaven to me.

That would leave the Steelers with:

2(49)
2(63)
3(80)
3(93)
4(127)
5(159)
6(191)
7(223)
[/quote]

I like this trade scenario, although dropping down to Jacksonville's spot at #49 is a long way to drop...but the Steelers do have a lot of holes to fill and I would love to see them pick up some extra picks in what is a very deep draft.

D Rock
03-26-2011, 02:28 PM
I agree it's a long way to drop, but I don't really like any of the players likely to be available at 31 enough to draft them there. If Pouncey or someone of similar ability isn't within reach to go up and get, or drops to 31, then I see most other players left to draft at that spot and in a position of need for the Steelers as only being worth the 49th pick anyways. Might as well get the 49th pick and an extra one on top of it and use it to draft a player of that level later.

steeler_george
03-28-2011, 02:10 AM
I am a big fan of this, better yet if we could manage to trade back up in the second round again, having a total of 3 second rounders. Not sure if trading one of our 3rds with the fourth would be enough. Now having a draft like this should sure up our DBs and OL for the now and future.

2a) Moore S
2b) Cannon G
2c) Burton/Dowling DB
3) Orlando Franklin G /Jason Pickston G/T/ Marcus Gilbet G/T
5) BPA in LB/RB/DL/TE
6) BPA in LB/RB/DL/TE
7) BPA in LB/RB/DL/TE

Shawn
03-28-2011, 02:17 AM
I'd rather give up a third and fourth to get a guy like pouncey then to trade back.
I wouldn't mind Pouncey in the first and Dowling in the 2nd. work a trade out to get back into the third and take Fua (or however you spell it).

If we only got Pouncey and Burton...I would be ok with that draft.

Shawn
03-28-2011, 02:18 AM
I agree it's a long way to drop, but I don't really like any of the players likely to be available at 31 enough to draft them there. If Pouncey or someone of similar ability isn't within reach to go up and get, or drops to 31, then I see most other players left to draft at that spot and in a position of need for the Steelers as only being worth the 49th pick anyways. Might as well get the 49th pick and an extra one on top of it and use it to draft a player of that level later.

If a guy like Heyward is there he would be tough to pass on...need or no need.

steeler_george
03-28-2011, 02:38 AM

If a guy like Heyward is there he would be tough to pass on...need or no need.

Sort of agree with you, I would love to have DL stud pick in the waiting ala Hood, but I don't see where they would get playing time over a rotation of Kiesel, Hood, Smith, Eason, in the next 2-3 yrs. That position for me is pretty deep for the time being, compared to our Safeties for example.

Some are making it as Smith and Kiesel are too old. Kiesel had his best year and Smith played to his high standard Yea, they both got injured last year for significant time but having a ration of Kiesel, Hood, and Smith, would reduce snaps keeping them fresh and injury free. In addition, Eason held his own.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-28-2011, 04:30 AM

If we only got Pouncey and Burton...I would be ok with that draft.

I gotta agree with you, Shawn. We don't need an OG and a CB. We need a "top tier, potential pro-bowl" OG and a "starting" #2 CB with great speed. This team needs talent, not bodies. Look at our last ten years of drafting. How many 3-7 rounders even crack our starting line up? The 2010 draft was a pleasant exception. Usually you only get one starter out of that whole range. We can afford to trade some of those picks to go get our guy(s).

With proper trading, we should be able to get Pouncey, a starting CB, and a nickel CB.

steeler_george
03-29-2011, 06:40 AM
I agree with a lot what you are saying, I am sick of the quantity of mediocre in our OL and CB position, I want talent. I am not looking for superstars, or even verge of being stars, I want a steady solid group. I would love to get Pouncey.

I think the upgrading the OL would do more wonders for this team, then picking up a CB to play in the nickle or dime this year. With an upgrade along the OL, our O will be off the roof. No more panic on 3rd and 1. No more red zone scoreing woes. More time for Arians's slow plays to develop. More holes for Mendy. With the talent in the Skill set our O should be scoring in the mid 30s ever game.

Now this is where the question marks start falling, is there much drop off from Pouncey to Watkins (regard his age), Cannon, Hudson? All those players, I think could start day 1 and upgrade RG for us.

If we do trade up, does a RG have more value than say T?

I think there is more value trading back into the second and grabbing one of those guards listed in the second. I am even thinking, select the BPA at 31, (Heyward, Wilson, Williams, etc) and then trade up into the second to get one of those Guards I listed.

flippy
03-29-2011, 11:34 AM
I like trading back better every day I look at this.

steelz09
03-29-2011, 12:12 PM
I'd rather lose a pick or two for a stud player. I haven't been impressed with our mid round picks and their contribution to the team. We've had better success with UDFA.

If I had to sacrifice a pick or 2 for the likes of Pouncey II then I say pull the trigger.

D Rock
03-29-2011, 12:27 PM
If Pouncey 2 is legitimately within reach then do it.

But the trade back, and adding the likes of Dowling and Cannon, with the option to even move some other picks (both thirds?) to get an extra 2nd on top of those for maybe someone like Rahim Moore or even another OL or CB is a dream scenario to me.

Adding 3 players in the first two rounds gives quality and quantity, both of which are needed.

steeler_george
03-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Adding 3 players in the first two rounds gives quality and quantity, both of which are needed.

Amen brotha! best way to put it

I am definitely down to trade back. I am no expert, but from the mocks and player reviews, I don't see much of a significant difference in Pouncey and Cannon, or Williams (as Safety) to Moore or Williams (as CB) to Harris.

birtikidis
03-30-2011, 04:42 PM
[quote="D Rock":3ii3wnxz]Adding 3 players in the first two rounds gives quality and quantity, both of which are needed.

Amen brotha! best way to put it

I am definitely down to trade back. I am no expert, but from the mocks and player reviews, I don't see much of a significant difference in Pouncey and Cannon, or Williams (as Safety) to Moore or Williams (as CB) to Harris.[/quote:3ii3wnxz]
Instead of looking at mocks, you should simply watch gametape.

D Rock
03-30-2011, 06:50 PM
I've been watching what I can find of the CBs on youtube. there are some partial game breakdowns with them highlighted available. I haven't been blown away by any of them, but I liked Aaron Williams and Dowling the best. That is just 1 game tho, and not every play.