PDA

View Full Version : Meet Jah Reid

steelerkeylargo
03-24-2011, 01:12 PM
http://thenationalfootballreport.com/20 ... -jah-reid/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/03/24/2011-nfl-draft-profile-jah-reid/)

D Rock
03-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the write-ups SKL. Can you explain why Reid is viewed only as a right tackle, please?

steelerkeylargo
03-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the write-ups SKL. Can you explain why Reid is viewed only as a right tackle, please?

He really isn't athletic enough to play LT. He is a bit heavy legged. Not quite quick enough to cut off the speed rush that will be coming from the blindside. His height also gives him struggles with smaller defenders getting low and under him. He also is raw and has only played RT at the college level. Maybe someday he could play LT but I don't see that happening for years.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-24-2011, 02:15 PM
from what i've seen jah reid is somewhat comparable to demarcus love only weaker and less athletic. he lunges a lot and his balance and technique need a lot of work before he start at the pro level. watch his combine video on nfl.com and you'll see what i mean. i just think if we go OT we need a starter. We already have Jonathan Scott, Tony Hillis, and Trai Essex that fit the jah reid mold. i would prefer one of the top 5 OT's or at least a james brewer/james carpenter type.

steelerkeylargo
03-24-2011, 02:33 PM
from what i've seen jah reid is somewhat comparable to demarcus love only weaker and less athletic. he lunges a lot and his balance and technique need a lot of work before he start at the pro level. watch his combine video on nfl.com and you'll see what i mean. i just think if we go OT we need a starter. We already have Jonathan Scott, Tony Hillis, and Trai Essex that fit the jah reid mold. i would prefer one of the top 5 OT's or at least a james brewer/james carpenter type.

I don't take alot of stock in combine video's. His game tape is what counts. I watched him all week at the East-West Shrine practices. He didn't look good in one-on-one drills, however during scrimmage and games he can play. It was like watching 2 different guys. DeMarcus Love was HORRIBLE at the Senior Bowl week and some scouts wondered why he was even invited. I would take Reid over Love any day. Keep in mind I gave him a 4th round grade. He won't be ready to start for a couple of years.

RuthlessBurgher
03-24-2011, 03:18 PM

I don't take alot of stock in combine video's. His game tape is what counts. I watched him all week at the East-West Shrine practices. He didn't look good in one-on-one drills, however during scrimmage and games he can play. It was like watching 2 different guys. DeMarcus Love was HORRIBLE at the Senior Bowl week and some scouts wondered why he was even invited. I would take Reid over Love any day. Keep in mind I gave him a 4th round grade. He won't be ready to start for a couple of years.

That's what people said about Kraig Urbik once upon a time.

Oviedo was a big time Urbik supporter, and is now a big time Reid supporter.

I'm getting a bad feeling about this... :wink:

birtikidis
03-24-2011, 04:16 PM
if all else fails he can just play guard, like all our other tackles.

NJ-STEELER
03-25-2011, 01:33 AM
jah ya, jah ya, jah ya

steelerkeylargo
03-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Per Gil Brandt:

"One player who was at the combine whose stock is rising is tackle Jah Reid (6-7 1/2, 321). Several teams have worked Reid out, and even though he fully participated at the combine, he insisted on doing all of the drills over again, which left a favorable impression on NFL personnel. Reid ran 5.32 and 5.29 in the 40, had a 29-inch vertical jump, a 9-3 broad jump, a 4.59 short shuttle and a 7.59 3-cone. He also bench pressed 23 reps of 225 pounds."

Oviedo
03-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Per Gil Brandt:

"One player who was at the combine whose stock is rising is tackle Jah Reid (6-7 1/2, 321). Several teams have worked Reid out, and even though he fully participated at the combine, he insisted on doing all of the drills over again, which left a favorable impression on NFL personnel. Reid ran 5.32 and 5.29 in the 40, had a 29-inch vertical jump, a 9-3 broad jump, a 4.59 short shuttle and a 7.59 3-cone. He also bench pressed 23 reps of 225 pounds."

He'd be a good Round 4 pick. Not sure he lasts until the end of the round.

steelerkeylargo
03-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Per Gil Brandt:

He'd be a good Round 4 pick. Not sure he lasts until the end of the round.

I agree I don't think he makes it to us there.

D Rock
03-25-2011, 01:35 PM
That's an interesting sig mock SKL. In the end, it looks good because the Steelers get 4 of the top 100 players, but a couple problems I would have with it the total scenario...

1) what if they don't pull all those trades? Then you are stuck with either:

-3 of the top 68(?) players, and nothing else til the end of the 5th round. I don't like the idea of moving out of the first round and losing overall picks in the process.

-3 of the top 83 players, with a pick in rounds 4-7...essentially trading back in the 1st to move up in the 3rd, a deal I don't like.

2) And with the final breakdown, the team only brings in 5 new players, 4 of which are likely to stay, and a 7th rounder. If they could make that final trade a 4/6/7 for the higher 4th I'd like it a lot better.

steelerkeylargo
03-25-2011, 01:52 PM
That's an interesting sig mock SKL. In the end, it looks good because the Steelers get 4 of the top 100 players, but a couple problems I would have with it the total scenario...

-3 of the top 68(?) players, and nothing else til the end of the 5th round. I don't like the idea of moving out of the first round and losing overall picks in the process.

-3 of the top 83 players, with a pick in rounds 4-7...essentially trading back in the 1st to move up in the 3rd, a deal I don't like.

2) And with the final breakdown, the team only brings in 5 new players, 4 of which are likely to stay, and a 7th rounder. If they could make that final trade a 4/6/7 for the higher 4th I'd like it a lot better.

I see the obvious concerns here. I am just saying that in my (small) world that would be an excellent draft weekend scenario. I would say the likelihood of the Steelers doing 3 draft day trades are small. However I am in the belief that we need fewer than 7 picks. Players that will actually make the team and contribute as opposed to playing on someone elses practice squad.

steelblood
03-25-2011, 02:12 PM

I don't mind the trades except for the one for Stocker. No reason to give up a 3rd and a 4th for Stocker. He'll be a good 2nd TE, but he is not a special receiver or devastating blocker. We could find a FA or resign Spaeth who is almost as good and knows our offense. Other than that (as you suggest), I think the Steelers should look to trade back early (1st or 2nd) and look to trade up in the third and fourth. The talent is deep from 20-50. The players at 40-50 are borderline first rounders in other drafts. Then the next tier goes maybe from 50-80. With a final decent crop of players from 80-110. AFter the fourth round, the talent drops off significantly imho.

I see the obvious concerns here. I am just saying that in my (small) world that would be an excellent draft weekend scenario. I would say the likelihood of the Steelers doing 3 draft day trades are small. However I am in the belief that we need fewer than 7 picks. Players that will actually make the team and contribute as opposed to playing on someone elses practice squad.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Mike Mayock: "The guy I'm intrigued by is Jah Reid. He's a right tackle only, but he's a starting right tackle 2 years from now."

http://walterfootball.com/pathtothedraft2011_0405.php