PDA

View Full Version : Quick Hits

SteelCrazy
03-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Some thoughts and observations before leaving the Big Easy…

-- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he is “hopeful” that a new Collective Bargaining Agreement will be in place before the draft.

But it is hard to imagine a scenario in which that happens. A federal judge in Minnesota won’t hear the anti-trust lawsuit filed by 10 players against the NFL until April 6. Even after Susan Nelson makes a ruling -- and who knows how long that might take -- there is certain to be an appeal.

The worst thing that could have happened was this labor impasse ending up in the courts.

-- Assuming a CBA is reached at some point and there is free agency, look for Ike Taylor to re-sign with the Steelers.

The reason? Simple. The veteran cornerback wants to stay in Pittsburgh and the Steelers want him back.

-- Don’t be surprised if the Steelers go defensive, not offensive, line with their first-round draft pick. The draft is flush with defensive linemen, meaning a very good one could fall to the Steelers at No. 31.

They hit with Ziggy Hood at No. 32 two years ago, and they still need to get younger along their defensive line.

-- Reiterating what Steelers president Art Rooney said Monday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league has not talked about or considered the possibility of using replacement players if there is still a work stoppage in the fall.

-- It is March. I Wonder if Goodell and the owners will re-consider if it is late July and a new labor deal is not on the horizon.

-- Anyone else have a problem with Bill Belichick blowing off the media breakfast that every other NFL head coach attended?

Not that Belichick would have been the life of the breakfast like Rex Ryan was but just he just provided another example as to how his arrogance knows no bounds.

A Boston reporter asked Tomlin about the no-show and whether it was an affront to him.

“I don’t compare myself to any of these men," he said. "The battle I fight is man versus himself battle. That’s the way I approach my job.”

Tomlin then added, “I’m sure he’s not losing any sleep over the fact it’s bothering you.”

triblive.com