PDA

View Full Version : Ramblin Jim's Draft Thoughts

ramblinjim
03-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm having some trouble formulating a mock draft this year, not that I've ever been good at it, so I'm formulating some thoughts here.

If there's no trades, I could see something like this:

1. Martez Wilson - ILB Illinois. Wilson is an athletic freak of nature that didn't have a great person coaching him up at Illinois. He could learn for a year or so behind Potsie and become the next great Steelers LB. Wilson is fast, can cover just about any tight end and big enough to thump in the middle of the defense. He's also young, comes out of the Big 10 and could hang out with a fellow alum in Rashard Mendenhall.

2. Davon House, CB New Mexico. We need a Corner and House fits our mold of corners, big, tall, fast and not afraid to tackle. His workup says that he's solid in both man coverage and in zone coverage, has never missed a game due to injury and has started every game since he entered college in 2007.

3. Chris Culliver, FS South Carolina. Culliver missed much of last year due to injury but we need speed in our secondary and Cullivers 4.36 40 yard dash is pretty darn impressive to go with his decent size at 6ft even and about 200 pounds. His writeups say he doesn't have great hands but interestingly he was recruited out of HS as a wide receiver and was one of the SEC's leaders in kick and punt returns while he was in college.

4. DeMarcus Love, T - Arkansas. Love started 37 games for the Razorbacks, was all first team all SEC his senior year and finished his degree before his senior playing season. Love is probably going to have to switch to Right Tackle in the NFL but with Colon as a Free Agent and Flozell almost as old as I am, Love looks like a pretty good pick if we can get him here in the 4th Round.

5. Cortez Allen, CB - Citadel. Our secondary is what kicked our butts last year and with House, Culliver and Allen in the mix, we are looking at an explosive upgrade in talent. Allen showed big strides at the Combine, has good 4.5 / 40 speed and is a solid wrap-up tackler. At 6-1, 195 he has the size to compete with Lewis, Butler and Clark to work the middle of our secondary.

6. Tory Gurley, WR - South Carolina. Ben wants a big receiver with good hands, this kids a 6'4" monster with good strength and decent 4.5/40 speed and good down field blocking. 6th round pick? Why not?

7. Noel Divine, RB - West Virginia. Divine at 5'8, 179 pounds could be our mix it up scat back 4.3/40 speed, to spell Mendy and Redman.

ramblinjim
03-23-2011, 01:57 PM
this doesn't do much for us o-line wise and for those wanting a tight end, so I still have some work to do.

There just seems to be some rock solid value in rounds 2-4 and if Colbert could figure out a way to trade out of the 1st and pick up a mid second and third, we could stockpile some pretty d@mn good players.

grotonsteel
03-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Not a big fan of ILB in Rd 1.

I like the positions from Rd 2 - Rd 5. DAvon House would be a nice pick.

I am not a fan of Chris Culiver after what i read about him by few SC Alum on other Steelers Message Board. I have read he is a knuckle head/stupid and has 0 football IQ. They would prefer Anthony Smith over him.

His wonderlic score was single digit. Now i don't know how important that is for say a FS position but he may not be the smartest thing around.

He might be a great athlete but is he a good football player?? I have not watched him much but i take the opinion of SC alums who watched him every Saturday.

Rd 4 - Rd 7 is really nice. Love would be a OG in NFL IMO. Noel Devine at 7 would be a steal.

Gurley and Allen are also great pick at Rd 5 and Rd 6.

Apart from Rd 1 and Rd 3 i like your draft.

Oviedo
03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Don't like #1 or #3 in your draft. I would rather go OL or DL in Round 1 and just too much bad press on Culliver.

I'm really torn on Love. He played very well in the toughest conference in colege but in the post season bowls and Combine he has looked downright horrible. He seems to be following the path that Ciron Black, OT form LSU followed last year in going from a potential high pick to vanishing from the draft all together.

ramblinjim
03-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Alright, so I've ben doing some thinking more and more about the draft, probably because I'm tired of hearing about labor strife. And I'm starting to think maybe D-line in round 1 again and I heard someone talking about the DE from Illinois, Liuget. Being from the great state of Illinois I follow Illinois football and I'm just not sold on him. The Illini defense stunk last year, I think Michigan scored 70 on them in one game if I'm not mitaken. So even though I could see them taking Wilson in the first round, I'm just not a fan of the pick.

Here's what I've come up with, I'm still not thrilled with this:

1.) Steven Paea - DT Oregon State 6'1 - 303. This kid may be our Casey Hampton replacement in a couple of years. He's massively strong and has a low center of gravity like a good NT. I'd take him over Liuget in a heart beat.

2.) Davon House - CB New Mexico State 6'1, 200 4.4/40. Nice measurables, excellent starter for New Mexico State. We need an influx of talent in our secondary and this young man could be our first piece.

3.) Clint Boling - OG Georgia 6'5 308. Boling won an award for his dedication to strength and conditioning, we need a guard and with Pouncey off the board at 31, maybe this kid will be on the board in the third round and we'll get a good one.

4.) Rick Elmore - DE Arizona 6'5, 255. Elmore was a sack machine at Arizona and could be a nice OLB project for us or we could put some meat on his bones and he becomes an exellent defensive end.

5.) Joe Lefeged - SS Rutgers, 6'1, 210 4.4/40. We need speed in our secondary and this young man is fast, has a solid reputation at Rutgers and is a good tackler. I also like Buster Skrine and the kid from Citadel here too.

6.) Chris Hairston - OT Clemson 6'6 326, 33 reps. Hairston is a beast, graded out really well at Clemson and seems to be an excellent pass blocker that may still be here in the 6th because he's rehabbing from an ankel surgery.

7.) I like the idea of Noel Divine here from West VA as our new scat back. I also like th is kid AJ Jefferson the CB from Fresno state with 4.4 speed and is 6', 193 pounds.

If we just can't seem to get the speed we need earlier in the draft the kid Demarcus Van Dyke from the U, will probably be around here also.

I'm still working this out but I like my first round pick here better than my last one.

steelerkeylargo
03-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Alright, so I've ben doing some thinking more and more about the draft, probably because I'm tired of hearing about labor strife. And I'm starting to think maybe D-line in round 1 again and I heard someone talking about the DE from Illinois, Liuget. Being from the great state of Illinois I follow Illinois football and I'm just not sold on him. The Illini defense stunk last year, I think Michigan scored 70 on them in one game if I'm not mitaken. So even though I could see them taking Wilson in the first round, I'm just not a fan of the pick.

Here's what I've come up with, I'm still not thrilled with this:

1.) Steven Paea - DT Oregon State 6'1 - 303. This kid may be our Casey Hampton replacement in a couple of years. He's massively strong and has a low center of gravity like a good NT. I'd take him over Liuget in a heart beat.

2.) Davon House - CB New Mexico State 6'1, 200 4.4/40. Nice measurables, excellent starter for New Mexico State. We need an influx of talent in our secondary and this young man could be our first piece.

3.) Clint Boling - OG Georgia 6'5 308. Boling won an award for his dedication to strength and conditioning, we need a guard and with Pouncey off the board at 31, maybe this kid will be on the board in the third round and we'll get a good one.

4.) Rick Elmore - DE Arizona 6'5, 255. Elmore was a sack machine at Arizona and could be a nice OLB project for us or we could put some meat on his bones and he becomes an exellent defensive end.

5.) Joe Lefeged - SS Rutgers, 6'1, 210 4.4/40. We need speed in our secondary and this young man is fast, has a solid reputation at Rutgers and is a good tackler. I also like Buster Skrine and the kid from Citadel here too.

6.) Chris Hairston - OT Clemson 6'6 326, 33 reps. Hairston is a beast, graded out really well at Clemson and seems to be an excellent pass blocker that may still be here in the 6th because he's rehabbing from an ankel surgery.

7.) I like the idea of Noel Divine here from West VA as our new scat back. I also like th is kid AJ Jefferson the CB from Fresno state with 4.4 speed and is 6', 193 pounds.

If we just can't seem to get the speed we need earlier in the draft the kid Demarcus Van Dyke from the U, will probably be around here also.

I'm still working this out but I like my first round pick here better than my last one.

Boling is overrated. Elmore is a 6th rounder. I like Hairston in the 6th, however, I would not use the term "Beast" on a 6th round draft pick.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-26-2011, 09:13 AM
I like Hairston in the 6th, however, I would not use the term "Beast" on a 6th round draft pick.

Chris Kemoeatu is a beast......just not a very smart one. :lol:

MeetJoeGreene
03-26-2011, 07:52 PM
That is truly a well reasoned mock draft that merits laud and much consideration