PDA

View Full Version : With the 31st pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Steelers pick

DFlo
03-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Hey guys,

I'm running an interactive mock draft with the fan forums of all NFL teams where the fans get to vote and make the pick for their respective team.

So far the fans have voted:
Carolina - Fairley
Denver - Dareus
Buffalo - Newton
Cincinnati - Green
Arizona - Bowers
Cleveland - Peterson
San Francisco - Von Miller
Tennessee - Blaine Gabbert
Cowboys - Prince Amukamara
Redskins - Julio Jones
Texans - Robert Quinn
Vikings - Ryan Mallett
Lions - Tyron Smith
Rams - Aldon Smith
Dolphins - Mark Ingram
Jaguars - Christian Ponder
Patriots - JJ Watt
Chargers - Cameron Jordan
Giants - Anthony Castonzo
Bucs - Ryan Kerrigan
Chiefs - Phil Taylor
Colts - Derek Sherrod
Eagles - Gabe Carimi
Saints - Cameron Heyward
Seahawks - Mike Pouncey
Ravens - Jimmy Smith
Falcons - Brandon Harris
Patriots - Muhammad Wilkerson
Bears - Corey Liuget
Jets - Justin Houston
Steelers - ???

You can vote for the player you want the Steelers to select in this poll:

http://www.footballdraftnotebook.com/interactivemock

Also, if you write a short 3-sentence description as to why this player should be drafted in this thread, I will pick out the best write-up and post it in the mock draft section along with your name!

***Also for mods, I hope you don't see this as spam. I am just trying to get the right fans to vote for their team, so we get the right mock draft. If you have any problems, please let me know.

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Our most pressing needs are in the secondary and along the o-line. With 4 corners and 4 offensive tackles off the board (plus Pouncey 2.0 gone as well), I see OT Nate Solder as more of a value pick at #31 than CB Aaron Williams or FS Rahim Moore.

Max Starks had surgery on a disc in his neck, Willie Colon had surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon (and he'll also be a free agent when the CBA mess gets done), and Flozell Adams turns 36 this spring.

steelblood
03-23-2011, 02:03 PM
I'd go with Aaron Williams. He'd at least be a good nickel back and future FS if he can't start at CB.

Nate Solder is very overrated imho. He has the quick feet and the great length. But, he is so tall and thin that bullrushers can have their way with him. And, for all of his athleticism, he struggles with double moves. Also, he is not a pile mover of a run blocker. I think he'll tempt GMs with his athleticism, but he is really too tall and thin to be effective against NFL strength/leverage and speed. Perhaps he'll grow into a good LT in a couple of years, but I believe even that is a crapshoot.

If not Williams, I'd go with Ijalana or Cannon before Solder. They can both play 3 positions. Cannon is NFL ready and Ijalana isn't too far off.

I'm not convinced that Rahim Moore is tough, stout and strong enough to take on RBs and TEs in the NFL. But, I do like his pass coverage skills very much. If he can put on 5-10 pounds without losing quickness and toughen up a bit, he'd be a very good FS.

flippy
03-23-2011, 02:38 PM
In this scenario, the Steelers should go with Rahim Moore. He played his best ball under Carnell Lake so why not reunite teacher and student. Ryan Clark is one of my favorite players, but his coverage is suspect. This could be a move that gets the Steelers over the hump and carries them to Lombardi #7.

But what Flippy thinks and what Mike Tomlin does are typically complete opposites. So I expect we'll take Martez Wilson. Mike Tomlin loves 250lb athletes at the LB position. And James Farrior hasn't been making splash plays to keep up with the rest of the talented LB unit. Lebeau's 3-4 is designed to make LBs into super stars. And Martez is the perfect athlete to plug into this defense for the future.

DFlo
03-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Wow, awesome descriptions guys!

So far Solder is in the lead with 13 votes, followed by Aaron Williams at 9 votes

Oviedo
03-23-2011, 02:58 PM
I selected Cannon. He has demonstrated that he is a much better athlete for a man of his huge size than anyone expected. To me he has Flozell Adams like qualities. He has the ability to immediately challenge for the starting job at RG and under the tutoring of Kugler he can develop at a minimum into a very good RT and possibly a very good LT.

IMO Solder and Ijalana are too raw with too many unknowns.

grotonsteel
03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
I voted for Aaron Williams because i think he has more value to say over Nate Solder.

Aaron Williams could easily be a nickel CB and then converted to FS.

I would not mind Nate Solder or Aaron Williams in Rd 1.

DFlo
03-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Going to let it run overnight and tabulate the results in the morning.

So far Nate Solder leads with 20 votes, Aaron Williams in 2nd place with 16, and Marcus Cannon in 3rd place with 8 votes.

Keep voting guys!

D Rock
03-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Can you come back and ask me to vote after I see who is available in rounds 2 and 3?

But really, I voted for Aaron Williams. And it would scare the heck out of me if the Steelers went that direction. CBs in the first round scare me. They miss just as often as they hit...

...and especially when selected by the Steelers, who have shown a vast weakness in selecting CBs. But that is the weakness right now. J. Scott is mediocre, Adams is old, Starks is coming off a serious injury, and Colon is an unknown. Unfortunately, that beats the heck out of what we have at CB. I just feels this team has been exposed too much recently, and on the biggest of stages, not to go for a CB early. Without knowing who will be available in the 2nd round, I would have to take Williams now.

Man I hope it doesn't play out with those as the options. I just want a safe pick who will be on the level of Kendall Simmons (pre-diabetes and injuries) at the worst, Hood-esque would be ok, as good as Pouncey/Miller/Timmons hopefully, and praying for someone like Polamalu.

Here's to hoping Pouncey 2.0 falls or the Steelers go get him.

Chadman
03-24-2011, 02:22 AM
Martez Wilson..

Chadman
03-24-2011, 02:30 AM
But seeing as how he isn't an option...Raheem Moore....

DFlo
03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Thank your RuthlessBurgher for the write up!

The results are updated! You can see who your team selected here:

http://www.footballdraftnotebook.com/fanmockresults

You can see the voting breakdown in the Voting History tab!

And feel free to bookmark that page and continue voting guys - we do one team every day and the next one will start sometime soon! The Green Bay Packers are now OTC.

RuthlessBurgher
03-24-2011, 10:32 AM
http://img.printfection.com/13/29889/kYKsc.jpg

:lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-24-2011, 12:35 PM
That would be a no-brainer with Solder on the board.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-24-2011, 12:37 PM
That would be a no-brainer with Solder on the board.