PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: Lockout could aid Steelers

PSU_dropout43
03-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Tomlin: Lockout could aid Steelers
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NEW ORLEANS -- Lockout? What lockout? Mike Tomlin's routine as coach of the Steelers hasn't changed much since the Super Bowl, and he's spent little time worrying whether it will.

As a matter of fact, even he believes a long, protracted lockout might give the Steelers a competitive edge, provided the NFL winds up playing football in 2011.

How? He has a veteran team and a veteran coaching staff that played through the Super Bowl on Feb. 6 and would not be doing much anyway right now.

"The better we do at making the irregular regular, I think is going to increase our chances of winning," Tomlin explained. "So you know that's going to be our mentality in Pittsburgh."

While a division rival like Cleveland must contend with a new head coach and staff, and another in Cincinnati where the veteran quarterback has vowed never to play again for the Bengals, the Steelers remain consistent in both personnel and in coaching.

That could provide a big edge if the NFL owners' lockout continues into the summer, along with it the inability of coaches to even speak with their players, never mind institute new systems.

Tomlin said his players also know what it's like to prepare in the offseason, even if they cannot do so at the Steelers' training facility or under supervision from the staff.

"We have a veteran laden group with really good leadership,'' Tomlin said during a coaches breakfast this morning at the NFL meetings here. "A little extra is required when you're trying to find a winning edge, a winning formula and that is something our guys embrace."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11081/11 ... z1HMAMG8C1 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11081/1133875-100.stm#ixzz1HMAMG8C1)

Oviedo
03-22-2011, 03:32 PM
All true except our SECONDARY WILL STILL SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to get some young players in and getting ready. Ooooops....my bad. I forgot LeBeau was still the DC.