PDA

View Full Version : UFL gaining momentum, Jerry and Marty???

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Glanville signs with UFL, Schottenheimer may soon follow

By MJD

As the United Football League waits for its chance to capitalize on the NFL lockout, it's stocking up on coaching star power.

Jerry Glanville has been officially tabbed to be the head coach and general manager of the Hartford Colonials, and according to Chris Mortensen, Marty Schottenheimer is on the verge of being named the head coach of the Virginia Destroyers.

Can Marty and Jerry help the fledgling football league? It's likely not a game-changer for television ratings -- I don't think anyone has ever tuned in to see Jerry Glanville or Marty Schottenheimer coach -- but it grabs some headlines, and on some level, it probably does help to add credibility.

Not necessarily among casual fans, but for players out there who are wondering if the UFL is a legitimate option for them in the event of a lockout, it might help to see guys like Schottenheimer and Glanville on board. Well, Schottenheimer, anyway.

The Glanville hiring has more of a sideshow feel to it. When you think about Jerry Glanville's coaching career, what do you think of? Brilliant tactical decisions and a record of unparalleled success? Or the goofball who left tickets at will call for Elvis and encouraged his players to get in a cheap shot or two after the whistle?

He certainly wasn't hired because of his recent coaching brilliance. His last gig was as head coach at Portland State, and he resigned with a record of 9-24. Best of luck, Hartford!

Schottenheimer's reputation, by contrast, is that of a football purist who has always put fundamentals and teaching the game ahead of anything else. If you're a young player who ends up on the roster of the Virginia Destroyers, you can count on being coached by a guy who wants to make you a better player.

If you end up in Hartford, you can count on being coached by a guy with a terrific belt buckle collection.

Djfan
03-22-2011, 12:17 PM
I watched a number of games last year, and genuinely enjoyed them. The guys were there for the love of the game. They are allowed to hit and be physical. Very cool stuff.

I plan to enjoy it again this year.

steelblood
03-22-2011, 12:31 PM
When they actually take players and coaches with real NFL opportunities, then they'll be gaining momentum. Jerry and Marty were unwanted. If the lockout continues, it will happen. But, not yet.

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 12:48 PM
When they actually take players and coaches with real NFL opportunities, then they'll be gaining momentum. Jerry and Marty were unwanted. If the lockout continues, it will happen. But, not yet.

I don't expect anyone from the NFL to jump to the UFL right now but the name recognition is good for the league.

I never heard of the UFL until the Goodell bashing started this year.... I've read 2 stories about the league the last week, I would call that momentum.

Oviedo
03-22-2011, 12:59 PM

UFL= AA/AAA Baseball

NFL = MLB

Totally apples and oranges

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 02:19 PM

UFL= AA/AAA Baseball

NFL = MLB

yeah.. the UFL will never get on the NFL level but they could definitely get a nice share of the TV ratings if the NFL has a stoppage.

That in itself would be huge.

ikestops85
03-22-2011, 02:44 PM

UFL= AA/AAA Baseball

NFL = MLB

and where exactly do the Pirates fit into this model? :lol:

Oviedo
03-22-2011, 03:12 PM

UFL= AA/AAA Baseball

NFL = MLB

and where exactly do the Pirates fit into this model? :lol:

In the big space between line 1 and line 2 :wink:

I'm the eternal optimist with the Pirates. I love going to their games when we are back for our annual pilgimage. IMO This could be the year the ship starts to turn around.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2011, 03:23 PM

UFL= AA/AAA Baseball

NFL = MLB

yeah.. the UFL will never get on the NFL level but they could definitely get a nice share of the TV ratings if the NFL has a stoppage.

I'd guess that college football games would get a boost in viewership before UFL games do.

Oviedo
03-22-2011, 03:27 PM

UFL= AA/AAA Baseball

NFL = MLB

I'd guess that college football games would get a boost in viewership before UFL games do.

You'd be lucky if 20% of the population could even name three UFL teams. Are there three?

College would get the attention, not the UFL. I think the team here in Orlando folded and moved somewhere else after one season.

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 03:30 PM

UFL= AA/AAA Baseball

NFL = MLB

maybe a little... I love college ball but I know NFL fans who have no interest in it at all.

The ratings for college games are tiny in comparison to NFL games... I think a station like Versus would get a huge bump if they showed UFL games.

People don't even know there is a UFL...

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 03:43 PM

UFL= AA/AAA Baseball

NFL = MLB

You'd be lucky if 20% of the population could even name three UFL teams. Are there three?

College would get the attention, not the UFL. I think the team here in Orlando folded and moved somewhere else after one season.

You are sadly mistaken. Yahoo is the #1 website and the UFL is on the front page because the NFL may not have a season next year.

If the UFL keeps adding NFL old heads to coach... and ESPN starts talking about them why wouldn't people tune in to see if they have a decent product?

People watch the NFL on Sundays... they don't watch college football on Sundays...
unless the NCAA moves games to Sunday people won't flock to watch college ball. Saturday is HS football, Pee Wee, etc... and other family activities.

College will see a slight bump but it won't sky rocket. UFL can't lose...the only way the UFL loses out on this NFL stoppage is if these guys are straight up bums. I see practice squad players and guys who just missed out on the NFL going over to the UFL.

Notleadpoisoned
03-22-2011, 05:38 PM

UFL= AA/AAA Baseball

NFL = MLB

Actually, I'd much rather watch a high school football game over of a UFL game if given the choice.

Chadman
03-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Jerry Glanville, Marty, Dennis Green, Jim Fassell....not a bad coaching line-up considering there's only 5 teams.

And if you look at the player rosters...Culpepper, Garcia, McCown, Ricardo Colclough!!, Jason Capizzi!, Michael Clayton, Morlon Greenwood, Ahman Green, Edgerton Hartwell, Grady Jackson, Antwaan Lake, Jermaine Phillips, Marvin Phillip!!, Simeon Rice, Dominic Rhodes, Keiwan Ratliff, Marcel Shipp, Rian Wallace!!, Maurice Clarett...

Ok, not NFL stars, but there is a few years starting experience in that group at NFL level. And that's leaving out some other names that Chadman recognises.

The UFL is not the NFL. But the prices are at the $20 mark- so you get football, played by guys that are/have been/nearly were good enough to play at NFL level, at an affordable price.

In the end, it won't replace the NFL. But it's not a bad compliment to the NFL. And with players getting cut by NFL teams every trining camp & then simply disappearing, this could be their ticket back to pro football.

Hell- we got a starting QB out of the freakin' XFL- the NFL could use the UFL in the future as a better option to sending fringe players to Europe.

Chadman believes that this competition has legs, and so long as it doesn't reach too high too quickly, could end up being a nice little niche on the football world.

http://www.ufl-football.com/

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Jerry Glanville, Marty, Dennis Green, Jim Fassell....not a bad coaching line-up considering there's only 5 teams.

And if you look at the player rosters...Culpepper, Garcia, McCown, Ricardo Colclough!!, Jason Capizzi!, Michael Clayton, Morlon Greenwood, Ahman Green, Edgerton Hartwell, Grady Jackson, Antwaan Lake, Jermaine Phillips, Marvin Phillip!!, Simeon Rice, Dominic Rhodes, Keiwan Ratliff, Marcel Shipp, Rian Wallace!!, Maurice Clarett...

Ok, not NFL stars, but there is a few years starting experience in that group at NFL level. And that's leaving out some other names that Chadman recognises.

The UFL is not the NFL. But the prices are at the $20 mark- so you get football, played by guys that are/have been/nearly were good enough to play at NFL level, at an affordable price.

In the end, it won't replace the NFL. But it's not a bad compliment to the NFL. And with players getting cut by NFL teams every trining camp & then simply disappearing, this could be their ticket back to pro football.

Hell- we got a starting QB out of the freakin' XFL- the NFL could use the UFL in the future as a better option to sending fringe players to Europe.

Chadman believes that this competition has legs, and so long as it doesn't reach too high too quickly, could end up being a nice little niche on the football world.

NFL fans say they won't watch the UFL but if there isn't any NFL to watch people will tune in.

I'd tune in regardless if they were on cable.

Chadman
03-22-2011, 06:42 PM

NFL fans say they won't watch the UFL but if there isn't any NFL to watch people will tune in.

I'd tune in regardless if they were on cable.

Same here. Chadman enjoys the English Premier League (soccer). Doesn't mean he won't watch the Spanish or Italian leagues as a result...

If the UFL can produce good quality, competitive football, what's not to like? It's not as if they are replacing the NFL- just giving another option.

flippy
03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
I'll watch. There's some talent and coaching in this league. And some owners with money.

They could offer shares in ownership to attract mega talent.

How much would it take to sign 5 starting NFL QBs? There's probably network dollars that would support that.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2011, 07:15 PM
YES! Marty Ball is back... :tt2

A typical Marty Ball Game:

Run - Run - Pass - Punt
[Get the ball back]
Run - Run - Pass (1st Down)
Run - Run - QB Sneak - Punt
[Get the ball back]
Run - Run (1st Down)
Run - Run - Screen Pass (1st Down)
Run - Run - Swing Pass (1st Down)
Run - Run - Run (Touchdown)
[Other team scores]
Run - Run - Pass - Punt
[Get the ball back]
Run - Run - Run - Punt (Marty tried to fool them by actually running on 3rd down - that sneaky devil).
[Get the ball back]
Run - Run - Pass - Punt
[Get the ball back]
Run - Run - Run - Field Goal
[Get the ball back]
Run - Run - Take a knee.

Final Score: Marty's Team 10 - Other Team 7

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/646/349/72980420_display_image.jpg?1295370217