PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Could Steelers Move Down, Out of First Round?

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Ed: Could Steelers Move Down, Out of First Round?

MONDAY, 21 MARCH 2011 09:06 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Welcome back. Not a bad spot to return to work after a week off, New Orleans. As you can see, talked to Kevin Colbert here yesterday.

He says he might be interested in moving down in the draft and I said if he did, he’d be making Steelers history. He drafts at the No. 31 spot so unless he swaps places with No. 32 Green Bay, he would trade right out of the first round.

The Steelers have had a first-round pick since the 1960s when they traded most of them away. Every year since Chuck Noll drafted Joe Greene in 1969, the Steelers have had a first-round draft pick, including two in 1989 when they traded holdout linebacker Mike Merriweather to Minnesota for the Vikings’ first-round pick. They drafted Tim Worley and Tom Ricketts on the first round that year.

That prompted them to trade down in the first round for one of only two times that I remember, in 1990 when they traded with Dallas to move down because the Cowboys wanted a running back and the Steelers already had their running back in Worley. The Cowboys drafted Emmitt Smith with that pick and he went on to win Dancing With the Stars. The Steelers drafted Eric Green.

The only other time I know that they’ve traded down in the first round came when they drafted Casey Hampton.

So, the odds are against Colbert trading down and out of the first round. But he’s snapped some previous norms around the Steelers, so why not now?

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... irst-round (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108787-ed-could-steelers-move-down-out-of-first-round)

tiproast
03-22-2011, 12:22 AM
I could see it happening. If a QB like Jake Locker or Ryan Mallet looks like they might slide out of the first round, then a QB hungry team might want to get back in the first round.

Something like what Cleveland did when Brady Quinn started to slide in the first round two years ago.

Makes sense if there are still a number of players available that the Steelers have on their board with late 1st round/early 2nd round grades.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2011, 12:42 AM
The Cowboys drafted Emmitt Smith with that pick and he went on to win Dancing With the Stars.

Douchette made a funny! :lol:

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2011, 01:08 AM
I could see it happening. If a QB like Jake Locker or Ryan Mallet looks like they might slide out of the first round, then a QB hungry team might want to get back in the first round.

Something like what Cleveland did when Brady Quinn started to slide in the first round two years ago.

Makes sense if there are still a number of players available that the Steelers have on their board with late 1st round/early 2nd round grades.

the Steelers have a definite need at CB, and there seem to be an abundance of CBs that would provide good value in Round 2 such as Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams, Curtis Brown, Ras-I Dowling, Brandon Burton, Rashad Carmichael and Davon House.

and for a Super Bowl team, we have a lot of holes to fill so we could use the extra draft choices this year.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-22-2011, 01:45 AM
I appreciate Ed's effort here, but saying that Colbert "might be interested" is no real news. Every GM "might be interested" if the deal is right. Now if Ed confirmed that Colbert had discussed a proposed trade with the Redskins to trade our 1st rounder for their 2011 second rounder plus next year's second, "that" would be news.

Having said that, I think Colbert is far more likely to trade up this year than trade down. The Steelers have plenty of journeymen and depth players. What they need is sure fire, ten year starters, with pro-bowl potential. There should be a couple of those in that 1.23-1.27 range. Hmmm...

flippy
03-22-2011, 09:12 AM
The Cowboys drafted Emmitt Smith with that pick and he went on to win Dancing With the Stars.

Douchette made a funny! :lol:

I really liked that one too.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-22-2011, 12:01 PM
With Colbert's track record in the second round, he's better keep his first round pick.

papillon
03-22-2011, 12:36 PM
With Colbert's track record in the second round, he's better keep his first round pick.

But, with two tries at it in the 2nd round his odds of hitting are better. :P

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
03-22-2011, 12:36 PM
ed drunk on boubon street

thats a really bad visual

hawaiiansteel
03-24-2011, 02:52 AM
from Dale Lolley's blog:

Draft taking shape

TUESDAY, MARCH 22, 2011

With the way the draft is taking shape, it could behoove the Steelers to trade down out of the first round and acquire more picks.

Because this draft is so heavy on defensive line prospects – many scouting services have 13 or 14 defensive linemen in their top 35 – there could be good value had in acquiring a player at that position in the second round.

There are also so few top-notch players at the positions the Steelers need the most - defensive back and guard - that moving up to grab one of the top guys will likely cost too much.

Teams that have similar needs and higher first-round picks will surely gooble those players up early.

So instead of taking a chance on cornerbacks Brandon Harris or Aaron Williams in the first round – both have flaws – why not move back 10 or so slots, assuming you can find a partner, and take Curtis Brown, Ras-I Dowling or Rashad Carmichael instead?

Or maybe a talented defensive lineman – Cameron Heyward – is still on the board and you take him and grab a corner later in the second round.

They have flaws as well, but you're not spending first-round money on them to acquire second-tier talent.

And any additional picks you acquire can be used to possibly move up in the third round to add some offensive line talent.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

steelblood
03-24-2011, 08:44 AM
This is a good draft for about 4 rounds. I'd like another 3rd or 4th rounder.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-24-2011, 09:24 AM
I am beginning to believe more and more that my two favorite players in this draft will cost more than a simple 3rd to obtain. I believe both Pouncey & Taylor will be off the board inside the Top 22. More clear is that it is hard to believe either will drop to the Steelers. SUCKS! To complicate things more, I do not like any of the remaining players at the two positions of need that will be left. I do not want Watkins at #31 and I don't like Harris or Williams at #31 either.

So if they can't trade up, I would rather they try to move out. But of course, need a partner. We could hope one of the Top 10 teams pass on a QB early and like one enough still on the board to try and jump back into the bottom of the 1st to get him. Trading back into the early part of round 2...I like alot of players there including ones that fill a need like Williams, Harris, Watkins, etc.

I look at the draft and feel it is "meaty" around the middle. There seems to be a "cliff" right around the 22-25 spot. Then it's just one big bowl of raw talent. Stick your hand in and hope you pull out a winner. It should be "up or out" for the Steelers. If they can't get up, get out & position yourself right in the middle of the "meaty" rounds 2-4 with 4 picks. This draft is deep at DL & CB right in that range and that's where they should set their table to eat. If they do end up with two 2nds, they could very easily come out of the 2nd with both a CB & G who could see the field early. Could come out of round 2 with a CB (Harris, Williams, House, Burton, Dowling, or Brown) and a OL (Sherrod, Watkins, Ijalana, or Cannon). I would be very pleased with a combination of any 2 off of these lists. Also wouldn't have a problem taking the top rated guys at their position early round 2 with guys like Wilson, Moore, or Rudolph. Simple value if they were still on the board would out weigh need if those names were still on the board.

Shawn
03-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Depending on who falls it might make serious sense to trade back. It would allow them the possibility of obtaining two very good DBs...Harris and Burton would be a nice start to the draft.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Hmm...Harris & Burton "Just might" cures what ails us. If their targets are gone...I think trading back and starting the draft off with CBs back to back could be a good idea. You might be able to get a "pick two" in this group of: Williams, Harris, Burton, Brown, House, or Dowling. Then still have 3 picks in round 3 & 4 to address OL & DL. That could definately grow on me.

Djfan
03-26-2011, 12:34 PM
There also is the advantage of the salary cap being less impacted by not having a first round pick.

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2011, 12:00 AM
2011 NFL Draft: Could Steelers Trade First-Round Pick?

Mar 29
by Charlie Wilmoth

It’s not especially likely that the Steelers could trade their first-round pick in the upcoming 2011 NFL Draft, but over at Behind The Steel Curtain, big_jay71 is doing a good job describing possible scenarios like that one, even though he acknowledges that they’re unlikely.

In my opinion the new draft format implemented last year, where the draft is broken down into three days, will aid the Steelers in getting more value in return for their draft pick. Teams looking to trade up because they are targeting someone specific will be too impatient to wait another day to get him. With the Patriots holding onto the first pick of the second day (pick 33), and knowing they’ll trade it to the highest bidder, some team will get nervous enough to offer the Steelers more than pick 31 is worth to jump ahead of the pick 33 auction for someone they are dying to have.

Jay thinks this is possible for quarterbacks in particular, and that the Steelers could trade their No. 31 overall first-round choice to get a pick around No. 40 overall (which they’d use to select someone like Virginia cornerback Ras-I Dowling, who doesn’t project as a first-rounder) and an additional pick or two later in the draft. It’s an interesting idea, and it could allow the Steelers to add additional picks late in the draft (where they do a pretty good job getting value) while sacrificing little in terms of the quality of their first selection. It probably won’t happen, but it’s worth thinking about.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsbur ... s-steelers (http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2011/3/27/2075910/2011-nfl-mock-draft-picks-steelers)