PDA

View Full Version : Hines looks great on DWTS

kindlecatsb'ng
03-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Wow! He did a great job for the first night.

Vote for Hines: 1-800-868-3403

Did you see the Terrible Towels and Franco Harris was there, too.

Way to go Hines. :Bow

Kindle

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Dancing With The Stars 2011 Results, Scores: Hines Ward Tops Wendy Williams, Ties Chelsea Kane

Mar 21
by Jason Kirk

http://steeleraddicts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Hines-Ward-Dancing-with-the-Stars-268x300.jpg

Hines Ward made his Dancing With The Stars debut by earning 21 out of 30 points for his cha-cha with partner Kym Johnson. Judges called the former Georgia Bulldogs WR’s performance “clean,” “crisp,” and “sparkly” while complimenting his buttocks.

Franco Harris was spotted waving a Terrible Towel in the crowd, and Ndamukong Suh was shown laughing after that comment about Ward’s a$$.

During his intro video Ward broke out the John Wall and the running man while wearing a neon pink bowtie. The training scene featured him accidentally spearing Johnson into the floor after being talked out of another round of running man.

Before Ward came on, super perky Chelsea Kane, apparently some sort of Disney actress, was all right and merited a 21. Next, New York City radio ranter Wendy Williams just kind of walked around buxomly, earning a 14. The TV is telling me the lowest scores will be up for elimination during next Tuesday’s results show, and I’ll be amazed if anybody can lose to Williams.

Well, not really amazed, but whatever. I’m gonna stop paying attention to this now.

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/georgia-bul ... elsea-kane (http://atlanta.sbnation.com/georgia-bulldogs/2011/3/21/2064614/dancing-with-the-stars-2011-results-scores-hines-ward-wendy-williams-chelsea-kane)

spyboots
03-22-2011, 01:07 AM
Yep, he "done good."

flippy
03-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Daniel Laruso's gonna fight? Daniel Laruso's gonna fight!!!!!!! Looks like Danny boy is at the top of the leader board.

And Kirstie Ally was graceful for a big girl. If someone could photoshop KoolAid girl into Kirstie dancing, that'd be classic.

I have a feeling Kelly Pickler, or whatever the Disney girl's name is, should win, but she may not have such a big fan base which could hurt her.

Hine did alright. He has good feet, but lacks posture and rhythm. Posture can be fixed, but his lack of rhythm is gonna be hard to overcome. Why didn't they have Lynn Swann instead? Hopefully Ward will stay on the show a long time so we can see other Steelers like Franco waving their Terrible Towels.

Wonder which Steelers will show up? If I were him, I'd pay for Troy to be there every week. That'd make him a lock for the finals. I'd get Terry in the crowd too. And Mean Joe drinking a Coke.

Ben would be smart to show up with his fiance to help his image.

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 10:20 AM
damn... this is sad.

I can picture Crash in his garage with 10 phones on speed dial voting for everyone but Hines

proudpittsburgher
03-22-2011, 12:41 PM
damn... this is sad.

I can picture Crash in his garage with 10 phones on speed dial voting for everyone but Hines

What's sad is that flippy watched and is versed enough in the show/dancing that he could gve that long of a critique. :wft

NC Steeler Fan
03-22-2011, 01:02 PM
I have been watching DWTS for quite a while and have seen many "stars"
either improve or falter as their training progresses.

I thought Hines did a fantastic job for the first night out and for, as someone
already said, someone who doesn't dance well to begin with and has no
natural rhythm.

What he needs to continue to work on is stage presence too. He worried me
beforehand because he looked so stiff and deadpan in the opening introductions.
I thought he looked somewhat terrified.

But, he showed a lot of expression on the dance floor which tells me he's at least
committed and listening to what his instructor tells him to do during the dance.

If he can get over the nerves and learn to shake his money maker a bit more it would help. :lol:

I am eager to see how he will do in the ballroom dance piece. Last night he did
more of a latin dance or cha cha I believe. His posture and "grace" will be in the spotlight during a waltz, quick step or fox trot, so we shall see.

Oh, and you go girl Kirstie Alley!! She looked great!

Also, as someone else said, some of the "better" 'dancers on DWTS have not made it
far because they just didn't have the fan vote to back up the judges' scores. I
suspect Hines will stay on the show a lot longer than his skills may merit because
of the fan vote...but then again, we are part of that equation so it counts too!

I have never voted and neither has my mom, but we both tried last night and could
never get through on the Hines/Kim phone number...a good sign!!

Seeing Franco Harris in the audience waving a Terrible Towel was awesome! :tt2

AngryAsian
03-22-2011, 03:39 PM
For those of us on Facebook, are resident poster Armpit, was lobbying for Hines. I told him that his ManCard was revoked. I'm typing this while I can, because I'm sure the next time I see him, he'll crush my esophagus and roll me up into a won ton and use me as a punching bag (the guy's bicep is as big as my torso :shock: ).

flippy
03-22-2011, 04:01 PM
damn... this is sad.

What's sad is that flippy watched and is versed enough in the show/dancing that he could gve that long of a critique. :wft

What's sad is all the stupid tv I watch with my wife. :lol:

But I have to admit, I was excited to see Ward last night and told my wife, this is the first time we're watching DWTS and I'm interested. I convinced myself I was watching something football related and was scoping Hines competition.

When you finally get past what you are actually doing and think of this as a sport, it's probably in line with MLB or the NBA. Not quite NHL, NFL, NCAA Football or basketball quality. But definitely in that second rung of sports.

They should put this show on ESPN or something to ease some of yinz into it.

The best part is how out of shape most of the participants are. Besides Hines, Sugar Ray, and Chris Jericco everyone else was pretty much winded after 2 minutes of dancing. I was shocked Kirstie Ally didn't have a heart attack or something - she couldn't even talk way after she was done dancing - it made me nervous watching. This might actually be a decent workout, so I'd probably agree to take a class with my wife if she ever asked. Crossing my fingers that she doesn't cause it is kinda gay. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2011, 09:30 PM
I didn't see the dancing show live last night (Pens and Wings were on...c'mon now...really), but I found that you can watch it online. Here is the link:

http://abc.go.com/watch/dancing-with-the-stars/SH559050/VD55118621/week-1-part-1

I guess he did a good job getting all 7's from the 3 judges for his first ever dance (but I didn't bother watching the other contestants to see how he compared). Watching that old British chap tell Hines that his bottom was the tops was a bit too creepy for my taste.

http://cdn.media.abc.go.com/m/images/image-util/624x351/633be8213160136ced64fe96a2665cd5.jpg

http://cdn.media.abc.go.com/m/images/image-util/624x351/565956425fdd41eecfb4435c4897fd70.jpg

http://cdn.media.abc.go.com/m/images/image-util/624x351/5b366aad80bc8f72b690f982a401336c.jpg

http://cdn.media.abc.go.com/m/images/image-util/624x351/f72b9ad4b37b20986fb598fbaf60639a.jpg

http://cdn.media.abc.go.com/m/images/image-util/624x351/9617480d0914001e2dbb1b1c9d6fb4cf.jpg

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Watching that old British chap tell Hines that his bottom was the tops was a bit too creepy for my taste.

http://cdn.media.abc.go.com/m/images/image-util/624x351/5b366aad80bc8f72b690f982a401336c.jpg

I like Kym Johnson's bottom better...

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Watching that old British chap tell Hines that his bottom was the tops was a bit too creepy for my taste.

I like Kym Johnson's bottom better...

With those suspenders pulling his pants up to grandpa-level, especially in this particular pose, it looks like he could be doing the Urkel:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HOfBMX4cgNU/TKqH8MWWX-I/AAAAAAAAAZc/Dn5ShKqRe0s/s1600/urkel.jpg

Or at least the Jerry Jones:

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_experts__1/ept_sports_nfl_experts-497477415-1204222344.jpg?ymA.UrADDSfEVvzs

Scarletfire1970
03-23-2011, 06:20 AM
I have been watching DWTS for quite a while and have seen many "stars"
either improve or falter as their training progresses.

I thought Hines did a fantastic job for the first night out and for, as someone
already said, someone who doesn't dance well to begin with and has no
natural rhythm.

What he needs to continue to work on is stage presence too. He worried me
beforehand because he looked so stiff and deadpan in the opening introductions.
I thought he looked somewhat terrified.

But, he showed a lot of expression on the dance floor which tells me he's at least
committed and listening to what his instructor tells him to do during the dance.

If he can get over the nerves and learn to shake his money maker a bit more it would help. :lol:

I am eager to see how he will do in the ballroom dance piece. Last night he did
more of a latin dance or cha cha I believe. His posture and "grace" will be in the spotlight during a waltz, quick step or fox trot, so we shall see.

Oh, and you go girl Kirstie Alley!! She looked great!

Also, as someone else said, some of the "better" 'dancers on DWTS have not made it
far because they just didn't have the fan vote to back up the judges' scores. I
suspect Hines will stay on the show a lot longer than his skills may merit because
of the fan vote...but then again, we are part of that equation so it counts too!

I have never voted and neither has my mom, but we both tried last night and could
never get through on the Hines/Kim phone number...a good sign!!

Seeing Franco Harris in the audience waving a Terrible Towel was awesome! :tt2You can vote online. That is what I did. I don't watch the show, but I didn't need to watch him dance. He was getting my vote anyway.

rpmpit
03-23-2011, 09:29 AM
For those of us on Facebook, are resident poster Armpit, was lobbying for Hines. I told him that his ManCard was revoked. I'm typing this while I can, because I'm sure the next time I see him, he'll crush my esophagus and roll me up into a won ton and use me as a punching bag (the guy's bicep is as big as my torso :shock: ).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come on, you know I'd never hurt you...probably :twisted:

I voted 11 times (max per phone #) for Hines. Mrs. Armpit voted 11 times too. It was cool seeing him on there and I think he did great. Seeing Franco and some other audience members with Terrible Towels was also pretty cool. I was a little annoyed that the hosts didn't mention Franco. But whadda ya gonna do???

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2011, 12:41 PM

I voted 11 times (max per phone #) for Hines. Mrs. Armpit voted 11 times too. It was cool seeing him on there and I think he did great. Seeing Franco and some other audience members with Terrible Towels was also pretty cool. I was a little annoyed that the hosts didn't mention Franco. But whadda ya gonna do???

Especially since it was just a few days after St. Patty's Day, you'd think they would have acknowledged the great Irishman Frank O'Harris. :mrgreen:

flippy
03-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Especially since it was just a few days after St. Patty's Day, you'd think they would have acknowledged the great Irishman Frank O'Harris. :mrgreen:

Oh Frankie Boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling....

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Hines Ward hopes both sides realize the lockout is ridiculous

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 26, 2011

It’s too bad Hines Ward is spending his offseason on Dancing With the Stars instead of at the forefront of the labor battle, because he comes across as one of the most sensible players in the NFL when it comes to issues related to the lockout.

At a time when many players are saying that the 18-game season isn’t even an option on the table, Ward sounds willing to listen to the owners’ case for 18 games — as long as the owners are willing to deal with the players’ concerns about injuries by improving health care.

And in a radio interview to promote Dancing With the Stars, Ward said about the lockout what a lot of fans are thinking: It’s absurd that a multibillion-dollar industry that’s doing better than ever can’t figure out a way to make things work between management and labor.

“This whole lockout thing is getting crazy,” Ward said on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “But you know what, this keeps my mind off football. I’m still getting in shape, I’m having fun, I’m enjoying my offseason.”

Dancing With the Stars will only last a couple months, however, and Ward just hopes that by the time he’s done with his offseason activity, there’s an NFL for him to go back to.

“I still know this lockout thing is still looming,” Ward said. “It’s still early. Hopefully the closer it gets to training camp, both sides will realize that this is ridiculous, let’s get something solved. But right now it’s just a total mess.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... idiculous/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/26/hines-ward-hopes-both-sides-realize-the-lockout-is-ridiculous/)

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2011, 01:16 PM
I didn't see the show, but it looks like Hines done good again. I may try to catch his routine online when I get home later.

Ward again impresses on 'Dancing With the Stars'

By Dan Stefano
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Last updated: 12:02 pm

Excitable "Dancing With the Stars" judge Bruno Tonioli suggested last night a possible post-football career for Hines Ward.

The bubbly Italian gushed that the Steelers wide receiver was a "full-time dancer" following Ward's show-closing Quickstep to the tune of "Part-time Lover."

Ward and partner Kym Johnson tied for the best score of the night with a 23, receiving eights from Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba and a seven from Len Goodman.

Ward and Johnson's score matched rapper Romeo Miller and partner Chelsie Hightower and WWE wrestler Chris Jericho and Cheryl Burke. Through two weeks, Ward has scored 44 out of a possible 60 points.

The first results show is at 9 tonight on ABC, but Ward and Johnson appear to be safe from elimination.

"That was amazing," said Inaba, "your posture, your technique, your hold, the way you changed direction with ease and grace and control."

In the introduction clip before Ward's routine, the Super Bowl XL MVP joked, "Why did I sign up for this?" upon learning the nuances of the Quickstep, a dance that combines elements of several other dances.

But his performance with Johnson went off with few hitches. Sporting a black suit, matching tight-fitting fedora and a red tie -- a relatively conservative-but-classy outfit for the show -- Ward earned a large applause following the dance.

The introduction also showed some humorous bits with Ward teaching the Australian Johnson some snippets of American slang. "What's up shawty?" and "Let's get krunk" were some highlights.

But, apparently, Johnson has had an effect on Ward, too.

"I've got a great teacher," Ward said following his dance. "I never in my wildest dreams think I'd be able to cha-cha and Quickstep, so I'm just happy I got through it."

Read more: Ward again impresses on 'Dancing With the Stars' - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1I0f9iY45 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_729679.html#ixzz1I0f9iY45)

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-03-29/123935_8658_fulward-a.jpg

flippy
03-29-2011, 01:21 PM
He lacks rhythm. But he's as good as anyone on the show. And since there's no trained dancers on the show this season, he's probably got a legit shot at winning this thing.

He seems really committed to working at this to be good. I have a suspicion he really wants to win.

NC Steeler Fan
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Yep, he looked great last night! :tt2

He had a moderately complex routine too! Bruno noted that he did some backwards steps that are higher in difficulty than most and did them well!

I am really looking forward to his first waltz when his technique and posture will be very
important and one of the racier Latin routines like a Mamba or something when his booty
shaking and fluidity will be the kicker. I feel that is when we'll find out if he's a contender.

Chris Jericho really surprised me last night. It looked like once he got past opening
night jitters he's really been pouring it on!

And, Romeo was very impressive. It sounded like he's had a bit of an epiphany to break
out of his mold as just a rap star. I heard him say something like he wanted to be a
role model for kids "because if Romeo can learn to ballroom dance, anything is possible".

flippy
03-29-2011, 01:35 PM
I'd place my bet on the Disney girl winning this season.

feltdizz
03-29-2011, 02:01 PM

He had a moderately complex routine too! Bruno noted that he did some backwards steps that are higher in difficulty than most and did them well!

I am really looking forward to his first waltz when his technique and posture will be very
important and one of the racier Latin routines like a Mamba or something when his booty
shaking and fluidity will be the kicker. I feel that is when we'll find out if he's a contender.

Chris Jericho really surprised me last night. It looked like once he got past opening

And, Romeo was very impressive. It sounded like he's had a bit of an epiphany to break
out of his mold as just a rap star. I heard him say something like he wanted to be a
role model for kids "because if Romeo can learn to ballroom dance, anything is possible".

Romeo? Master P's son Romeo? LOL... He was born with a gold grill in his mouth....

NC Steeler Fan
03-29-2011, 02:18 PM

Romeo? Master P's son Romeo? LOL... He was born with a gold grill in his mouth....

Yeah, that's him. :lol:

He had a bit of an attitude when he first started the lessons and you could tell he
seemed like a fish out of water on the first show. But, last night in the rehearsal
clips after last week he really seemed to get into it. I think his partner relates to
him well, they are the youngest contestants on the show, and she's bringing him
out of his "shell".

Last night he really looked like he was enjoying the dance and did great to be in
a tie for first place this week!

That's what I like about this show...it takes people to places they never thought they
could be in front of a live worldwide audience. It's amazing to see them blossom and
grow right in front of you week after week. It's like they find some new confidence
they never knew they had and you can't help but feel good for them.

Well, that and all the smokin' hot bods on some of men! :D

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2011, 02:13 AM
'Twinkle Toes' Ward impresses dancing judges on TV

Tuesday, March 29, 2011
By Maria Sciullo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201103/20110329hinesweek11_160.jpg

Adam Taylor/ABC

Kym Johnson and Hines Ward appear Monday night on ABC's "Dancing With the Stars."
Move over, Emmitt, there's a new "Twinkle Toes" on the dance floor.

Impressing the "Dancing With the Stars" judges with surprising grace and clever footwork, Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward and partner Kym Johnson tied for the top score on Monday night's show.

Judge Carrie Ann Inaba declared that one-time DWTS champion and Dallas Cowboy Emmitt Smith just "had to retire his little title of Twinkle Toes ... [I loved] your posture, your technique, your hold, the way you changed directions with ease and grace and control."

Indeed, Mr. Ward's footwork was excellent. In a filmed segment before the live performance, however, he expressed concern that a multitude of shoulder injuries during his football career could be a problem: "My shoulders are very weak, so to be in that posture for over a minute is very difficult.

"But I'm not going to make excuses for it."

Last week was a gold-trimmed outfit for the black-and-gold star. This week, it was a black velvet jacket and tuxedo pants, with his partner is a 40s-era classic ball gown.

Although season 12 premiered last week with viewer voting and judges' scores, last night was a bonus round that also went toward deciding who stays and who goes. Tuesday night's results show begins at 9 p.m.

Viewers had a 90-minute window to text or phone in votes for their favorites, and Internet voting was allowed until 8 a.m. today.

By now, Mr. Ward is immune to his teammates' jests: "They gave me a lot of flak earlier but I went out and proved them wrong a little bit," he said after the dance. In way of thanks for his fans' votes, he added "So all of Steeler Nation, we love you and we're looking out for you."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201103/20110329hinesweek13_160.jpg

The judges showed they weren't cutting any slack when Disney star Chelsea Kane and partner Mark Ballas came out with a crowd-pleasing, clowns-in-love number that employed some impressive moves but wasn't true to the footwork of the jive.

"It was like Marcel Marceau desperately seeking Lolita in 'A Clockwork Orange,' " noted Bruno Tonioli. They earned 18 out of 30 possible points.

Even Week 1 leaders Ralph Macchio and Karina Smirnoff weren't safe. Their jive was deemed "a bit frenzied here and there" by judge Len Goodman, but they still earned a 21.

Talk show host Wendy Williams, who had one of the lowest judges' scores last week, did only marginally better with partner Tony Dovolani. Working a quickstep and a hot-pink dress, Ms. Williams was still hesitant en route to a 17-point showing.

Mr. Ward and Ms. Johnson, who danced to "Part-Time Lover," tied with professional wrestler Chris Jericho and his partner, Cheryl Burke, for highest point total Monday night.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11088/11 ... z1I3LSpidv (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11088/1135491-67.stm#ixzz1I3LSpidv)