PDA

View Full Version : My first post and my Roger Goodell thoughts

CoachCrusader
03-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Cheers, fellow Steeler fans! Some of you might recognize me from some of the other boards, I have posted at. I can't wait to have some friendly discussions about the state of our team and the direction of the league. Some of you might even learn a thing or two from me!!

After all, I played RB in the MAC and I was an OC there for 6 years. I've won a few state championships as a HS football coach as well. Right now I am employed as a professional mentor/life skills coach at all levels of football. I have several clients in the NFL as well. I would say this makes me more then a little qualified to talk football don't you? But enough of the small talk.

I can't stay silent any longer!! I hate it, that a man of great integrity such as Roger Goodell gets slammed by the uninformed and ignorant alike. Goodell is a man of action, a man who had the courage to do something about the drug problem, discipline problems and safety of the players. No other commissioner has done so much and that my friends is the bottom line. Cheers!!!

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2011, 07:56 PM
I was going to welcome you to this Board until I read your post... :D

Iron Shiek
03-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Haha, don't expect the welcome wagon to be rolled out. Not many Bad-dell fans here.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Welcome Coach-

I've found this site to be generally respectful and friendly, although disagreeing adimately on occasion. Glad to have your "actual football expertise" on board.

As for Roger Goodell, I completely disagree with your opinion. (welcome to the site lol).

I think he is completely two-faced and incredibly inconsistent in his policies. He says he wants to hold the NFL to a higher standard of conduct, behavior, and ethics. And then when a team gets caught blatantly cheating, using a tactic he had just warned them not to do in a league wide memo, he destroys the evidence and gives them a slap on the wrist. He picks certain athletes to serve as whipping boys, then lets others off scott free for doing the exact same thing (or in some cases even worse). He says he wants to improve the game but I don't think he sees the game of football the same way that fans or players do, or has either of their best interests at heart with his policies. I believe he is trying to eliminate the physical nature of the game as much as possible and help offenses score more points (which is very similar to arena football IMO). He fancies himself as a champion for player safety, yet it appears to be only for certain players in certain situations (like franchise QB's and WR's). He would ban head shots, but will not ban inferior head protection equipment. He sees no problem exposing players to additional injury through additional regular season games as long as they are paid more money. I think he is the owners puppet (which that's fine if that's what they want) but to paint him as a man who is fair and just and seeking to do what's right is a huge stretch. I believe Roger is more of a "politician" than either a "business man" or a "football man". I don't believe a lot of the things he says in interviews. He sounds like a lying senator to me. I delight that the players are finally taking a stand against his nonsense and calling him out as a liar.

That's just my take.

Chadman
03-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Never realised we needed a CV to be able to be considered 'qualified' to post about the Steelers....

Discipline of Steel
03-21-2011, 11:44 PM
The fact that you are a die-hard Goodellian, it calls into question your claims of experience. I would find it more reasonable to beleive that you are either an NFL schill running damage control, or possibly a common troll writing unsubstantiated garbage just to get a rise out of the crowd. Maybe you are Ol Rog himself because you seem to think we are all ignorant and uninformed. Well, Sir Roger did inform us of his thoughts in his letters to the Players, and the Fans, and anyone who isnt sick of listening to him by now. Nobody bought it and nobody wants to see his face anymore. Ask Mike Vrabel.

Rant over, schill ignored.

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 09:13 AM
I used to think Goodell was on the right track when it came to punishing repeat offenders for stupidity but he has gone overboard.

All the rule changes and snap decisions are a turn off... but once again, this guy represents the owners and our owner walked him up to the throne.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Never realised we needed a CV to be able to be considered 'qualified' to post about the Steelers....

Blokes who refer to themselves in the third person are excempt. :wink:

Djfan
03-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Goodell, huh?

Let me give you some of my credentials:

I am a die hard fan since '72. I have started two fan clubs (one was actually a chapter of a national one already established), expanded the membership in the State of California to third in the nation for members, posted on many boards, and way better looking than you ever were. I love me more than you love you.

Still, I work hard with at-risk kids, make very little money, and struggle each day to make ends meet, while I pray like crazy that my van doesn't die.

That qualifies me to tell you the truth. Goodell is the worst thing to happen to this league since Kent Graham. His knee-jerk, unbalanced, inconsistant, pussification of this Euro-centric league is a pathetic representation of where it might be going. I hope he loses his job and we get a football man (or woman) in there who will represent the history and tradition of smashmouth football. If not, many fans, myself included, will probably be long gone from the sport.

He's a tool.

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Let me give you some of my credentials:

I love me more than you love you.

:lol:

grotonsteel
03-22-2011, 10:32 AM
I think CoachCrusader = BADall...err...i mean KraftSucker

Trying to improve his image...i think he is the most hated commish of all American Sports right now...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-22-2011, 11:26 AM
IMO Goodell is all about trying to handle outcry, and not about what is best for the league itself.

My example - Big Ben is accused for a second time of misconduct. The media goes hard with it and Rog acts swiftly to take control of the situation despite the fact that no charges are ever brought.

Perrish Cox is arrested and charged with felonious sexual assault. This carries a sentence of ten to life if convicted. The media barely whispers about it and the league does nothing about it.

This is an apples to apples comparison and the commish proved that he is more interested in allowing the media to determine severity of penalty than the actions of the players themselves.

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 11:44 AM
IMO Goodell is all about trying to handle outcry, and not about what is best for the league itself.

My example - Big Ben is accused for a second time of misconduct. The media goes hard with it and Rog acts swiftly to take control of the situation despite the fact that no charges are ever brought.

Perrish Cox is arrested and charged with felonious sexual assault. This carries a sentence of ten to life if convicted. The media barely whispers about it and the league does nothing about it.

This is an apples to apples comparison and the commish proved that he is more interested in allowing the media to determine severity of penalty than the actions of the players themselves.

Here we go again...

If Ben and Cox are supposed to get the same treatment then Cox should get the same pay as Ben.

I know I will get hated on but suspended Ben was a case of Goodell doing what was best for the league.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-22-2011, 11:55 AM
If Ben and Cox are supposed to get the same treatment then Cox should get the same pay as Ben.

I know I will get hated on but suspended Ben was a case of Goodell doing what was best for the league.

Why should Cox receive the same pay as Ben? One thing has nothing to do with the other. Are you saying that better football players should be held to a different legal standard of behavior? I'm not talking about Santonio throwing a drink at a bar. I'm not talking about Vince Young getting in a punch at a bar. Those are both minor incidents.

I am talking about false accusations + media outcry vs. arrests + no media outcry.

Or, how about this question.....if there was no media outcry over the Ben false accusation would or should there have been the same penalty?

grotonsteel
03-22-2011, 12:16 PM

Why should Cox receive the same pay as Ben? One thing has nothing to do with the other. Are you saying that better football players should be held to a different legal standard of behavior? I'm not talking about Santonio throwing a drink at a bar. I'm not talking about Vince Young getting in a punch at a bar. Those are both minor incidents.

I am talking about false accusations + media outcry vs. arrests + no media outcry.

Or, how about this question.....if there was no media outcry over the Ben false accusation would or should there have been the same penalty?

Cox was charged after 5 months of investigation and BADall did not open his trap till that time. A player is charged after investigation and he is playing in NFL as if nothing happened.

His double standards are disgusting. He is a scumbag.

Djfan
03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
His double standards are disgusting. He is a scumbag.

He has the football passion of a Girl Scout den mother, and the back bone of my ex-wife's new husband.

The vision he has for the league is a media product, driven by pretty boys who are too fragile to play mano-y-mano. The days of Decon Jones and Jack Lambert are gone under this fairy.

drprwnap
03-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Cheers, fellow Steeler fans! Some of you might recognize me from some of the other boards, I have posted at. I can't wait to have some friendly discussions about the state of our team and the direction of the league. Some of you might even learn a thing or two from me!!

After all, I played RB in the MAC and I was an OC there for 6 years. I've won a few state championships as a HS football coach as well. Right now I am employed as a professional mentor/life skills coach at all levels of football. I have several clients in the NFL as well. I would say this makes me more then a little qualified to talk football don't you? But enough of the small talk.

I can't stay silent any longer!! I hate it, that a man of great integrity such as Roger Goodell gets slammed by the uninformed and ignorant alike. Goodell is a man of action, a man who had the courage to do something about the drug problem, discipline problems and safety of the players. No other commissioner has done so much and that my friends is the bottom line. Cheers!!!

You're kidding, right???? If not, you're a bigger jerk than Bad el

drprwnap
03-22-2011, 12:35 PM

Here we go again...

If Ben and Cox are supposed to get the same treatment then Cox should get the same pay as Ben.I know I will get hated on but suspended Ben was a case of Goodell doing what was best for the league.

That is a totally asinine statement. :HeadBanger What the fu#k does pay have to do with it??? Say you and I work for the same company. You are accused of violating a company policy and get suspened with loss of pay. I am caught violating that same policy and get no punishment. Where does salary fall into the above example? Do you know of ANY COMPANY that has a double standard policy???? Sexual harrassment laws / policies are not written differently because of salary. "The conduct policy is the conduct policy."

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 01:04 PM

Here we go again...

If Ben and Cox are supposed to get the same treatment then Cox should get the same pay as Ben.I know I will get hated on but suspended Ben was a case of Goodell doing what was best for the league.

That is a totally asinine statement. :HeadBanger What the fu#k does pay have to do with it??? Say you and I work for the same company. You are accused of violating a company policy and get suspened with loss of pay. I am caught violating that same policy and get no punishment. Where does salary fall into the above example? Do you know of ANY COMPANY that has a double standard policy???? Sexual harrassment laws / policies are not written differently because of salary. "The conduct policy is the conduct policy."

If we both get DUI's and my name is on the front page because I'm well known and your name is on page 25 because you aren't well known... then hell yeah I will get a harsher punishment.

The crimes are the same but the damage is not...

this is why I bring up pay.... there is a reason Ben gets paid what he does and his actions carry more consequences.

You guys know this but you refuse to acknowledge it. All men are not created equal.

grotonsteel
03-22-2011, 01:46 PM

Here we go again...

If we both get DUI's and my name is on the front page because I'm well known and your name is on page 25 because you aren't well known... then hell yeah I will get a harsher punishment.

this is why I bring up pay.... there is a reason Ben gets paid what he does and his actions carry more consequences.

You guys know this but you refuse to acknowledge it. All men are not created equal.

How are crime same??? One is charged after 5 months of police investigation and another one is merely accused.

Even Vick got less punishment from NFL than Ben.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-22-2011, 01:46 PM

Here we go again...

So what you are saying is that you have no concern about personal conduct, but are only concerned about PR.

So you have just put the media in charge of all disciplinary action in the NFL......personal conduct is irrelevant.

Being falsely accused of rape is worse than being charged with rape in your NFL if the media only runs with one story.

If a player murders another and gets off on a technicality then the severity of his punishment is determined by how many reporters cover his trial. :roll:

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 02:12 PM

So what you are saying is that you have no concern about personal conduct, but are only concerned about PR.

So you have just put the media in charge of all disciplinary action in the NFL......personal conduct is irrelevant.

Being falsely accused of rape is worse than being charged with rape in your NFL if the media only runs with one story.

If a player murders another and gets off on a technicality then the severity of his punishment is determined by how many reporters cover his trial. :roll:

From a business stand point? Yes...

Let's keep it 100. The NFL is in the business of making money and the media/TV deals are the bulk of their business.

Now surely, player conduct is relevant but in all honesty it's only as relevant as the media makes it out to be. Look at the Bengals a few years ago... they were crime central. However, the Chargers had the same number of arrest that year and you barely heard a word about them.

The Bengals had the whole country joking them... but San Diego got off easy. The media plays a big role in the NFL and it's naive to think other wise.

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Here we go again...

How are crime same??? One is charged after 5 months of police investigation and another one is merely accused.

Even Vick got less punishment from NFL than Ben.

The DUI crimes in my example are the same.. the punishment handed down would be different.

Vick paid his "debt" in jail. Stop acting like Vick missed 2 games. He lost 100 million, a year or 2 and had to start over.

Ben missed 4 games and besides a few jokes he has pretty much put this behind him. If he never received punishment I guarantee you Ben would have 5X the hate he has now.

grotonsteel
03-22-2011, 02:50 PM
The DUI crimes in my example are the same.. the punishment handed down would be different.

Vick paid his "debt" in jail. Stop acting like Vick missed 2 games. He lost 100 million, a year or 2 and had to start over.

Ben missed 4 games and besides a few jokes he has pretty much put this behind him. If he never received punishment I guarantee you Ben would have 5X the hate he has now.

Vick went to jail because he violated federal laws. Not because he violated code of conduct. 2 years jail time was between FBI and Vick.

What did NFL do to Vick to book him?? Sorry spending 2 years in jail is not a punishment for violating code of conduct.

Vick should have got additional punishment just for giving NFL a bad name.

Again Cox is charged based on 5 months of Police Investigation and NFL has done nothing about it.

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Vick went to jail because he violated federal laws. Not because he violated code of conduct. 2 years jail time was between FBI and Vick.

What did NFL do to Vick to book him?? Sorry spending 2 years in jail is not a punishment for violating code of conduct.

Vick should have got additional punishment just for giving NFL a bad name.

Again Cox is charged based on 5 months of Police Investigation and NFL has done nothing about it.

I know why Vick went to jail... but the reality is "HE WENT TO JAIL" lol....

Vick lost it all.... and had to play for peanuts when he returned. Vick got a ton of punishment IMO....

I honestly didn't think Vick would get punished at all when he got out due to his time away from the game.

As far as Cox goes... I haven't heard a word about his charges. The only reason I know about most NFL charges is because Crash reported each one in a thread. 8)

However... if he is punished no one on here will care and most will point out how it wasn't done in the same fashion as Ben.

The reality is different players are held to different standards and this is why they are paid differently. Vick wasn't the first athlete caught in a dog fighting ring, he wasn't the first NFL player to get caught in a dog fighting ring... he was just the first franchise QB caught in a major dogfighting ring. If he was the 53rd player on the Falcons the sentence, fines, media etc. would have been minimal.

BackwoodsSteeler
03-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Not this guy again. I have read his postings before and no, he is not joking. He is as big a wind bag as he appears to be.

SteelCrazy
03-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Here we go again...

I dont think anyone is arguing the obvious point of one who is well known and one not so much, pay different levels of consequences. Back to the OP......I hope this is your last post. Respect is earned and you just tried to force it on everyone. I played CB and S in high school and I have Ryan Clarks autograph, so that gives me more than enough experience to tell you this, I think you're smug.

ramblinjim
03-23-2011, 01:17 PM
That qualifies me to tell you the truth. Goodell is the worst thing to happen to this league since Kent Graham. -- DJ Fan...

I nearly spit diet coke out my nose when I read this.

Djfan
03-23-2011, 03:56 PM
That qualifies me to tell you the truth. Goodell is the worst thing to happen to this league since Kent Graham. -- DJ Fan...

I nearly spit diet coke out my nose when I read this.

Thanks. No charge for this one.