PDA

View Full Version : Cortez Allen, CB, Citadel

PSU_dropout43
03-19-2011, 12:16 AM
rumoured visit to the south side.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-tracker/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/09/2011-draft-visits-and-workouts-tracker/)

Cortez Allen (14)
Height: 6012
Weight: 197
40 Yrd Dash: 4.50
20 Yrd Dash: 2.50
10 Yrd Dash: 1.48
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'09"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.01
3-Cone Drill: 6.76
Arm: 32 1/4
Hand: 8 5/8

hawaiiansteel
03-19-2011, 01:09 AM
Citadel's Allen sets bar high at NFL combine

BY JEFF HARTSELL

Through the luck of the alphabetic draw, Cortez Allen found himself going first in his group in all the drills at the NFL Scouting Combine last week.

First among the defensive backs to be prodded by a panel of doctors. First to bench press 225 pounds. And first to experience what might be the most important 4-point-something seconds of an NFL prospect's life, the 40-yard dash.

http://postandcourier.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2011/03/08/CORTEZ_ALLEN_t180.JPG?370a03faaa4bde2115f371a02430 eb3e6a451be5

Michael Conroy/AP

Citadel defensive back Cortez Allen's broad jump of 10-9 was tops among cornerbacks at the NFL combine, as was his 60-yard shuttle time of 10.87 seconds.

"When I first saw that, I was like, 'Wow, I'm first at everything, I hope I don't mess up,' " Allen said. "But I tried to look at it like, I've got a chance to set the bar. I'm the first one up, the first one to get looked at. And as the days went by, it was cool that I was the first. I was the guy who set the standard."

The former Citadel cornerback set a fairly high standard at the combine, enhancing his rep as a small-school prospect, much like former Bulldogs teammate Andre Roberts. The 6-1 1/2, 197-pound Allen earned solid reviews for his performance in Indianapolis, and he might have earned middle to late-round money in the process.

In fact, he will reportedly work out for the New England Patriots today.

"(The combine) is a job interview like one you will never have again in your life," said Allen, a native of Ocala, Fla., who earned All-Southern Conference honors during his career at The Citadel. "But you are not just interviewing with one company. There are 32 different companies who are hiring. You are doing it all at once, and you have one chance to make your impression. It's pretty crazy."

Allen went in well prepared for this job interview. A good week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game in Orlando helped him earn an invitation to the NFL combine. And he trained for months with other athletes from XAM Sports, the agency that represents Roberts, who just finished his rookie season with the Cardinals.

"Andre's advice has been invaluable for me," Allen said. "He's been very helpful in this whole process. He told me, 'You are as good or better than everybody there. Just have faith in yourself and go all out.' "

Defensive backs were among the last groups to hit the field at the Colts' Lucas Oil Stadium for the bulk of their combine drills last Tuesday. But there was plenty for Allen to do before that, beginning with the doctors.

"As soon as you get off the plane in Indy, you go to your hotel room and then you are right back on the shuttle bus to the hospital," Allen said. "Blood, urine samples, MRIs, X-rays -- every test you can think of."

Doctors were particularly interested in the knee injury Allen suffered as a freshman at The Citadel, but everything checked out well. The second day brought a complete physical exam.

"You've got five doctors pulling your shoulders, legs, knees, making sure everything is stable," Allen said. "They check your vision, flexibility, everything."

Coaches and scouts from NFL teams were just as inquisitive. Allen estimated he spoke with about 25 teams.

"They want to know how and where you grew up, do you have any red flags like a criminal history or suspensions in high school," he said. "Some talk more about you as a person, some want you to go in there and talk about the defenses you've played, what you would do against this kind of route, to make sure you know the game."

The third day brought the bench press (Allen did 18 reps at 225 pounds) and the infamous Wonderlic test, a battery of 50 questions in 12 minutes.

"They don't tell you the score," he said. "But I wouldn't say the questions are hard. I feel like I did pretty well."

Last Tuesday was the big day for DBs, highlighted by the 40-yard dash. Allen was timed as low as 4.45 seconds, though his official time was recorded at 4.51.

His broad jump of 10 feet, 9 inches was tops among cornerbacks, as was his 60-yard shuttle time of 10.87 seconds. His 20-yard shuttle (4.01 seconds) and three-cone drill (6.76) were very competitive.

A report on SI.com included Allen among players who improved their stock at the combine:

"The small-school corner, who received a late invitation to the combine, proved his worth on the field," the report said. "His 40 times were solid, averaging 4.50 seconds and his position work was outstanding. Allen quickly moved in reverse displaying NFL caliber footwork and smooth hips. He looked athletic in all the routines and proved himself worthy of a middle-round selection."

Now that the combine is over, the work doesn't stop for Allen. His pro day is set for March at The Citadel, where former teammates such as Demetrius Jackson and Erik Clanton will also work out. Then there are individual workouts and interviews with interested teams in advance of the NFL draft, set for April 28-30.

"There's no slack-off after the combine," he said. "But it's all worth it to get where you want to go."

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011 ... l-combine/ (http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/mar/09/citadels-allen-sets-bar-high-at-nfl-combine/)

steelblood
03-19-2011, 07:48 AM
does he have a military commitment?

steelerkeylargo
03-19-2011, 11:12 AM
I watched Cortez quite a bit at the week of East/West Shrine practices. He is pretty raw as a football player, but is a very good athlete. I was talking with Chad Reuter about him and the comparison that came to mind was Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie. I simply havent seen enough tape on the guy to make a definitive call on him, but I would be comfortable with a 4th rounder on him.

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Citadel cornerback Cortez Allen to visit Steelers in the first week of April

Tue, Mar 22nd, 2011 by DePaoli

The Pittsburgh Steelers intend to bring in at least 5-to-6 cornerbacks for official draft visits over the next month.

The team to this point has officially scheduled two visits for cornerbacks.

As previously reported on Monday, Texas cornerback Curtis Brown, a projected second round pick, will be in town for a two-day visit on March 30-31.

Citadel's Cortez Allen, a projected mid-round pick, is scheduled for a draft visit for the first week of April, Inside Pittsburgh Sports has learned.

Allen like Curtis Brown, has excellent size at 6-foot-1, 197-pounds. In the Steelers scheme, they eye corners with good size and the ability to be run stoppers.

Allen is coming off a strong combine, running a 4.50 forty-yard dash. His draft stock is said to be on the rise and many scouts have him projected as a 4th-5th round pick.

The Steelers have two cornerbacks under contract for next season, in Bryant McFadden and Crezdon Butler.

Ike Taylor and William Gay are free agents.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... ril/36333/

Oviedo
03-23-2011, 08:10 AM

He unlikely has a military commitment. Both at Citadel and the Virginia Military Institute (my alma mater and the much better of the two schools) all students are required to take four years of ROTC. In general you are told "if offered a commission, you will accept." However with the drawdown in the military in the 1990s the reality is that there is much less of need for trained officers. If he has any commitment it would be in the reserves but it is easy to avoid or defer those commitments too if you want to.

steelblood
03-23-2011, 02:41 PM

He unlikely has a military commitment. Both at Citadel and the Virginia Military Institute (my alma mater and the much better of the two schools) all students are required to take four years of ROTC. In general you are told "if offered a commission, you will accept." However with the drawdown in the military in the 1990s the reality is that there is much less of need for trained officers. If he has any commitment it would be in the reserves but it is easy to avoid or defer those commitments too if you want to.

My cousin was at VMI from 1989-199? When were you there?

Oviedo
03-23-2011, 03:11 PM

My cousin was at VMI from 1989-199? When were you there?

I was "Old Corps" and gradutated in 1979.

Chadman
03-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Crezdon Butler, Keenan Lewis, Ike Taylor, Ricardo Colclough...

The Steelers have a history of selecting mid-round 'athletes' to play CB for them. Perhaps Cortez Allen is next?

Knowing that a rookie CB will likely only see the field in Nickle/Dime packages at best, is there any greater advantage to drafting a 1st/2nd round, polished CB over the mid-round 'un-polished' athlete? Won't they both contribute equally? (i.e.- very little if at all).

Keenan Lewis was close to getting the starting CB job last season before he had a meltdown. As has been discussed, Lewis' problem seemed to stem somewhat from trying too hard, then getting frustrated. Sure- he hit Tomlin's doghouse as a result. But the coaches felt he had enough in him to keep him over board-favourite Joe Burnett.

If Willie Gay exits through FA, here's betting Keenan Lewis moves into the 3rd CB spot. McFadden will be retained, and will start- he knows the playbook & injuries to his hip really seemed to be the key contributing factor in his struggles. Steelers will be unlikely to lose Ike. If they do, however, here's betting the FO brings in a Vet to start- not rely on a rookie to fix things.

There might be more polished CB's in the early rounds, but this is a DEEP draft for CB's- and players like Cortez Allen could provide the best 'bang for your buck' as far as draft selections go, in the 4th round.

hawaiiansteel
03-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Former Bulldogs star Andre Roberts paves way for Citadel prospects

BY JEFF HARTSELL
Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Andre Roberts was not in attendance Monday at The Citadel's pro day for NFL scouts, but his presence was definitely felt.

The success of the ex-Bulldogs standout, who just finished his rookie season as a wide receiver with the Arizona Cardinals, was one reason scouts from 15 NFL teams turned out on a cold, rainy day to watch some of Roberts' former Citadel teammates go through their paces.

Roberts was a third-round pick of the Cardinals in the 2010 NFL draft after his record-setting career at The Citadel. If cornerback Cortez Allen, who tested well at the NFL combine last month, is drafted this year, it would mark the first time since 1969-70 that The Citadel had players drafted in consecutive years.

Jackson, Allen and defensive end Erik Clanton worked out for the scouts Monday, getting measured, weighed, timed and otherwise thoroughly inspected.

Allen (6-1, 198) did not have to work out after testing well at the NFL combine, but wanted to improve his vertical jump (he jumped 37.5 inches) and run through position drills for the scouts.

"I also wanted to be here for these guys -- my teammates -- and for the school," he said. "I told the guys the same things Andre told me -- this is your chance, just get out there and make the most of it, and show everybody what you can do."

Allen said he already has had one individual workout with a team, and has four more workouts scheduled before the NFL draft, set for April 28-30.

--Former Citadel defensive lineman Terrence Reese is currently playing with the Pittsburgh Power of the Arena Football League.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011 ... fb_proday/ (http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/mar/29/29cidfb_proday/)

Chadman
03-29-2011, 09:39 PM
If the Steelers feel that B-Mac can regain some form, if they can resign Ike, if Butler or Lewis can develop- Allen might provide a tempting mid draft target for them to develop into a starting CB- a la the way they did with the other pure athlete/CB Ike Taylor years ago.

If they need a guy to play now- he is not the target.

If they can afford to let him learn- he might be better value than some of the early CB's.

steelerkeylargo
03-30-2011, 12:46 AM
If the Steelers feel that B-Mac can regain some form, if they can resign Ike, if Butler or Lewis can develop- Allen might provide a tempting mid draft target for them to develop into a starting CB- a la the way they did with the other pure athlete/CB Ike Taylor years ago.

If they need a guy to play now- he is not the target.

If they can afford to let him learn- he might be better value than some of the early CB's.

Chadman. I hate to dis your sig, but, Marcus Gilbert is a 4th rounder and Adrian Taylor will never play 3-4 nose.

flippy
03-30-2011, 08:40 AM
He has the potential to be one of the steals of the draft unless Al Davis drafts him early.

Oviedo
03-30-2011, 09:39 AM

The Steelers have a history of selecting mid-round 'athletes' to play CB for them. Perhaps Cortez Allen is next?

Knowing that a rookie CB will likely only see the field in Nickle/Dime packages at best, is there any greater advantage to drafting a 1st/2nd round, polished CB over the mid-round 'un-polished' athlete? Won't they both contribute equally? (i.e.- very little if at all).

Keenan Lewis was close to getting the starting CB job last season before he had a meltdown. As has been discussed, Lewis' problem seemed to stem somewhat from trying too hard, then getting frustrated. Sure- he hit Tomlin's doghouse as a result. But the coaches felt he had enough in him to keep him over board-favourite Joe Burnett.

If Willie Gay exits through FA, here's betting Keenan Lewis moves into the 3rd CB spot. McFadden will be retained, and will start- he knows the playbook & injuries to his hip really seemed to be the key contributing factor in his struggles. Steelers will be unlikely to lose Ike. If they do, however, here's betting the FO brings in a Vet to start- not rely on a rookie to fix things.

There might be more polished CB's in the early rounds, but this is a DEEP draft for CB's- and players like Cortez Allen could provide the best 'bang for your buck' as far as draft selections go, in the 4th round.

LeBeau will let a rookie CB play when hell freezes over

PSU_dropout43
04-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Steelers are very interested in Cortez Allen.

Cortez Allen The Citadel Bulldogs #13 6:01.4-196

Generally, teams look for cornerbacks that were developed in the major college ranks, but there have been a handful to go on to Pro Bowl careers from the small college level, most notably Arizona’s Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Blessed with the size and hitting ability of Pittsburgh’s Ike Taylor, Allen has received serious mid round consideration by more than a dozen teams looking to upgrade their secondary.

Allen has a tall, well-built, muscular frame with long arms, good bubble, thick thighs and calves. He has a tight abdomen, trimmed upper body and a frame that can carry additional bulk without it affecting his overall quickness. He has smaller than ideal hands, but it does not impede him from securing the ball properly and extending away from his frame when competing for the pass at its highest point.

Since moving into the starting lineup as a sophomore, Allen has allowed just 69-of-197 passes targeted into his area to be completed (35.03%). He has limited his main coverage assignments to 33 of those grabs.

During his career, opponents managed to convert just three of those receptions into touchdowns, as the Bulldog limited his competition to an average of only 4.42 yards per pass attempt. During that same span, The Citadel’s other defensive players have allowed 527-of-767 pass attempts to be completed (68.71%) and gave up 56 aerial touchdowns.

Further evidence of Allen’s “shutdown” ability is the big plays he has consistently produced that killed the oppositions’ scoring drives. His 29 third-down stops vs. the passing game as a junior led all of college football.

Allen produced 63 third-down hits (five vs. the run, 58 vs. the pass) and 15 more on fourth-down action in his last three seasons. The rest of the Citadel defense recorded only 159 third-down tackles and 12 fourth-down stops during that same 39-game span.

Allen’s ability to execute the bump-&-run is almost flawless. On the 128 passes that the opposition failed to complete in his area, the Bulldog rerouted/jammed his main pass coverage assignment on 102 of those incomplete tosses (79.69%) and also recorded 21 passes defended (16 deflections, five interceptions).

Physicality is the “name of the game” for Allen. Having allowed just three touchdown catches by an opponent since the start of the 2008 campaign, the cornerback delivered 21 of his stops inside the red zone. He also excelled on special teams, producing thirteen tackles for the special teams coverage unit (eight on punts, five on kickoffs). All but one of those tackles was a solo effort.

Compares To ... Aeneas Williams, ex-Arizona Cardina ... Allen is a vastly underrated boundary cornerback who has the length and stride in his backpedal to easily stay on the receiver coming out of transition. He does not let his assignments break his cushion and gets on top of those receivers in an instant, evident by rerouting 54 opponents away from catchable throws last year. He opens up laterally or vertically with ease and shows an outstanding burst to recover.

Allen can plant-&-drive with no gather and displays the mirror ability to stay with any receiver he’s matched up against. He consistently makes plays on the ball and is determined to finish when executing the tackle. He might not get a lot of opportunities vs. the running game, but when he does, no other FCS cornerback can do the job of keeping outside containment like Allen. He just might be the most underrated man coverage defender in the collegiate ranks.

Because Allen plays mostly in man coverage, he has had just limited opportunities to make plays in the box, but he is a physical tackler in the open field. He can put a “big hit” on a receiver competing for the ball and is not the type that will just attack “legs” when facing up to a ball carrier. He has effective drag-down strength and can get guys to the ground, but is not regarded as an explosive tackler. He knows how to make adjustments to break down and fit when playing in the open and shows good desire to make the play. He will go low, wrestle the ball carrier down or use his upper body strength to knock his opponent out of bounds.

For a boundary cornerback, Allen does a very nice job of disrupting the receivers before they can get into their patterns. He has that strong hand placement to tie up his man for a long time at the line of scrimmage. He uses his length well to reach around and compete for the ball in flight. He has the speed and burst to run on the receiver’s hip and recover when his man gets behind him.

With his fluid hips and quick change of direction agility, along with excellent anticipation skills, he does better than most corners in attempts to be very active and physical with his hands. He shows sharp plant and drive agility, but will sometimes get sloppy on deep routes and round his angles to the ball. Still, he has outstanding feet and balance when adjusting to the receiver’s moves and can flip his hips, redirect and plant sharply coming out of his breaks without needing to gather.

Teams Showing the Most Interest ... Pittsburgh, Carolina, Baltimore and Oakland ... If the Steelers fail to resign Ike Taylor, cornerback becomes an immediate need for Pittsburgh. Even if Taylor returns, the secondary was exposed enough in the playoffs to warrant multiple picks at this position. Chris Gamble never panned out in Carolina and the Panthers had their most success when they had a big, physical press coverage corner like Ken Lucas starting for them. Allen might fit that mold with a mid round choice. Baltimore has one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. They ranked 21st in the nation in pass defense (224.9 ypg) and their cornerbacks were torched for 19 touchdowns during the regular season. Fabian Washington proved to be a first round bust and was replaced during the course of 2010. Oakland suffered perhaps its greatest loss in recent history when it was announced that Nnamdi Asomugha was declared a free agent. They resigned Stanford Routt and were close to extending Chris Johnson before the lockout, but depth is lacking and neither of those can ever hope of matching Asomugha’s playing level.

SteelStallion
04-25-2011, 02:20 PM

LeBeau will let a rookie CB play when hell freezes over

Tomlin's HC. It's on him.