PDA

View Full Version : Meet Muhammed Wilkerson

steelerkeylargo
03-18-2011, 04:27 PM
I know I have been slacking on getting these up everyday. Inlaws have been in town :HeadBanger

http://thenationalfootballreport.com/20 ... wilkerson/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/03/18/2011-nfl-draft-profile-muhammed-wilkerson/)

hawaiiansteel
03-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Potential Steelers Draft Pick Profiles: Muhammed Wilkerson, DE, Temple

by big_jay71 on Mar 18, 2011

Given the age of Brett Keisel (32), Casey Hampton (33), Aaron Smith (34), Chris Hoke(34), and even Nick Eason (30) it's not at all beyond the realm of possibility that the Steelers could target a defensive lineman with the 31st and/or the 63rd picks in the upcoming 2011 NFL Draft. They do have a great building block for the future in Ziggy Hood but they'll need to continue to seek out future stars to pair with him, and it's with that in mind that I give you a player profile on Temple DT/DE Muhammed Wilkerson.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/568082/muhammad-wilkerson_medium.jpg

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 315lbs.
40 time: 4.99secs
Bench: 27 reps
Arms: 35.25in
2010 stats: 70 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 1 blocked kick

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/568098/muhammad-wilkerson-temple_medium.jpg

Pros: To this point in his career Wilkerson has made his living being a one-gap penetrator. When facing an offensive tackle one on one he has enough agility and speed to reach the backfield. In the pass-rush he shows a good club and rip move. At 6'4" and 315lbs. he carries his size very well and could easily add some more bulk to his frame without sacrificing and of his speed or agility. As he stand right now though he's big enough to hold the point of attack without giving up ground. One of the biggest bonuses is that regardless of his size he doesn't seem to wear down as the game progresses and always gives maximum effort on every play.

Cons: While is size is a definite attribute he doesn't always use it to its fullest advantage. He needs to spend some time in a major strength and conditioning program as he struggles with double-teams. He also needs to play with more aggression and develop a nasty streak. Wilkerson also needs to do a better job tackling. All to often he uses his size to basically lay on a ball-carrier instead of making a sound wrap-up. Playing in the MAC conference against inferior opponents it's also questionable how good Wilkerson will be against top competition.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/568090/Muhammad_Wilkerson_medium.jpg
Draft Stock: Muhammed Wilkerson's draft stock has been climbing and climbing especially since he put on a strong showing at the NFL combine. Because of his versatility, projecting as both a 5-technique in a 3-4 or as a one-gap penetrator, he's become a hot prospect to be taken as early at the mid-1st round. On most draft boards he's rated as the 4th or 5th best 3-4 DE prospect behind Cameron Jordan and J.J. Watt, and basically neck and neck with Cameron Heyward. As a 4-3 tackle I believe he's surpassed Corey Liuget to be the 3rd best behind Marcell Dareus and Nick Fairley. Depending on how the top half of the draft shakes out he could go as early as 17th or 18th to New England and San Diego respectively, or to the ravens at 26 or the Jets at 30. However it is most likely that he should be available for the Steelers at 31.

NFL Player Comparison: Pittsburgh Steelers DE Evander "Ziggy" Hood
Much like Ziggy Hood before him, Muhammed Wilkerson will need time to adjust playing in an entirely different system, with entirely different responsibilities. He spent his whole college career shooting the gap and he'll need to learn to fend off double-teams at the next level before he can become a consistent starter in the NFL.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/568215/jersey_medium.jpeg

Final Word: The age of the defensive line, coupled with the free agency of both Nick Eason and Chris Hoke, make the selection of a D-line prospect a must. With the Steelers eye always on the future they could draft Wilkerson now and allow him to follow the same path as Ziggy Hood. While it certainly wouldn't fill a more pressing need drafting him would be the best available option if the usual suspects, i.e. Pouncey, Taylor, Harris, Etc., are all gone. He's far from a finished product be has the potential to be a very valuable asset in the near future.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/3/18/2058391/potential-steelers-draft-pick-profiles-muhammed-wilkerson-nfl-draft-projections#storyjump)

Oviedo
03-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Seems like a definite Roud 1 Candidate, but I would love to see JJ Watt fall into our laps if we were going DL.

Chadman
03-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Hs level of competition flies in the face of the Colbert/Tomlin selection system of years past.

Chadman doubts this selection heavily.

As a 4-3 tackle I believe he's surpassed Corey Liuget to be the 3rd best behind Marcell Dareus and Nick Fairley

If this is true, Corey Luiget is a far better Tomlin/Colbert 'fit'.

Shawn
03-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Seems like a definite Roud 1 Candidate, but I would love to see JJ Watt fall into our laps if we were going DL.

I have been thinking about what skl was saying about the Steelers moving up in the draft. I was wondering, if that's the truth who would it be for?

The three most likely guys are

JJ Watt
Mike Pouncey
Sherrod

All three of these guys fit the profile, and are IMO as sure of a thing as they come.

Of those three, I don't see them moving up for a Guard...even for Mike. Watt is a big time player in a big time program, and has every intangible the Steelers look for in a player. But, would the Steelers move up to grab a guy who might not be a starter for 3 seasons? I mean Keisel seems to only get better with age. I would love Watt...very much. Possible but not as likely as Sherrod.

Sherrod must have the Steelers drooling. He cures many problems instantly. He can play right or left tackle, get Cannon in the second and our OL problems are over.

hawaiiansteel
03-20-2011, 04:35 PM

I have been thinking about what skl was saying about the Steelers moving up in the draft. I was wondering, if that's the truth who would it be for?

JJ Watt
Mike Pouncey
Sherrod

the Steelers are bringing DE Cameron Jordan in for one of their 30 official visits and we would have to trade up to get him...this leads me to believe the Steelers would go DE in the 1st round if Cameron Jordan were within "Troy Polamalu" striking range.

as for JJ Watt, I don't see how he gets past New England* at #17...I hope he goes earlier to another team so he doesn't end up with the Pats*.

RuthlessBurgher
03-21-2011, 01:32 PM

JJ Watt
Mike Pouncey
Sherrod

All three of these guys fit the profile, and are IMO as sure of a thing as they come.

Of those three, I don't see them moving up for a Guard...even for Mike. Watt is a big time player in a big time program, and has every intangible the Steelers look for in a player. But, would the Steelers move up to grab a guy who might not be a starter for 3 seasons? I mean Keisel seems to only get better with age. I would love Watt...very much. Possible but not as likely as Sherrod.

Sherrod must have the Steelers drooling. He cures many problems instantly. He can play right or left tackle, get Cannon in the second and our OL problems are over.

But our secondary problems are still glaring. To move from #32 to #25 to get Santonio, we gave up our 3rd and 4th. If we made a similar trade to get Sherrod, then took Cannon in round 2, we wouldn't have a shot to add a DB until round 5 (which is where we got the likes of Crezdon Butler and Joe Burnett...in other words, any DB that we draft in a "trade up for Sherrod then draft Cannon to fix the OL" scenario would be no better than what we already have.)

Shawn
03-21-2011, 06:32 PM

JJ Watt
Mike Pouncey
Sherrod

But our secondary problems are still glaring. To move from #32 to #25 to get Santonio, we gave up our 3rd and 4th. If we made a similar trade to get Sherrod, then took Cannon in round 2, we wouldn't have a shot to add a DB until round 5 (which is where we got the likes of Crezdon Butler and Joe Burnett...in other words, any DB that we draft in a "trade up for Sherrod then draft Cannon to fix the OL" scenario would be no better than what we already have.)

We're not going to fix all our holes with one draft. I won't suggest our secondary is stellar but it is the same secondary that we had going to the SB. A repaired OL might be exactly what the doctor ordered.

The thing is this...our chances of picking up a quality starter in the first at DB is slim. I don't think Harris is a Steeler type, Williams is very raw. I believe Burton could contribute at #2 in a season or two. Overall, I'm not impressed with this class of DBs. Hopefully, Lake can develop the talent we have.

Am I suggesting ignoring the secondary? No. But, I wouldn't be shocked (if they sign Taylor) if they ignored the secondary until the mid rounds. There is some serious OL talent in this draft. I will disagree with some others. I think there are several tackles who can be elite, Cannon could be a pro bowl Guard. I just don't see that with the DBs. Peterson is the only one I truly think is a sure thing.

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Am I suggesting ignoring the secondary? No. But, I wouldn't be shocked (if they sign Taylor) if they ignored the secondary until the mid rounds.

I would be shocked and disappointed if the Steelers didn't select a DB within the first three rounds.

Shawn
03-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Am I suggesting ignoring the secondary? No. But, I wouldn't be shocked (if they sign Taylor) if they ignored the secondary until the mid rounds.

I would be shocked and disappointed if the Steelers didn't select a DB within the first three rounds.

I would be more disappointed if they reached. I hope they let the draft come to them and let the chips fall where they may. Me personally, I know this team can be very competitive next season if we don't add anyone. So, in order not to mortgage the future to try to make a splash next season...I hope that they take BPA whoever that is...WR, TE, OL, DL or DB. If the best guy happens to be a DB great...even better.

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2011, 10:37 PM

I would be more disappointed if they reached. I hope they let the draft come to them and let the chips fall where they may. Me personally, I know this team can be very competitive next season if we don't add anyone. So, in order not to mortgage the future to try to make a splash next season...I hope that they take BPA whoever that is...WR, TE, OL, DL or DB. If the best guy happens to be a DB great...even better.

I know what you're saying, but...sure looks like the Steelers are targeting a CB in the first couple of rounds.

Ike Taylor, Willie Gay and Anthony Madison are UFAs and there's no guarantee that we will be able to re-sign any of them and even if we can we won't know that until after the draft is completed.

the Steelers interviewed Brandon Burton, Rashad Carmichael and Johnny Patrick at the Combine and are bringing in Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown for two of our 30 official visits. I'll be very surprised if we don't draft one of these CBs knowing that we only have BMac, Keenan Lewis, Crezdon Butler and Donovan Warren under contract going into the draft.

Chadman
03-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Here's Chadman's question- If the Steelers resign Ike & Willie Gay, with Butler, Lewis & Donovan Warren in the wings- where does a rookie CB fit?

Is drafting a high-round CB 'giving up' on Lewis & Butler?

Can Donovan Warren become a legit NFL CB? His college career, and his draft scouting write up suggest he was one of the elite CB's of his class, but played through injury & came out too early.

Essentially, the Steelers have 3 CB's with what has to be decent qualities on the roster- all young. Does adding another one make the squad better?

Are the likes of Brandon Burton, Rashard Carmichael, Johnny Patrick, Davon House and Ras-I Dowling any better prospects that what is currently on the roster??

And once you've done that evaluation, consider instead the depth & strength of the Safeties on the Steelers roster. Is Safety a bigger need?

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Here's Chadman's question- If the Steelers resign Ike & Willie Gay, with Butler, Lewis & Donovan Warren in the wings- where does a rookie CB fit?

Can Donovan Warren become a legit NFL CB? His college career, and his draft scouting write up suggest he was one of the elite CB's of his class, but played through injury & came out too early.

Essentially, the Steelers have 3 CB's with what has to be decent qualities on the roster- all young. Does adding another one make the squad better?

Are the likes of Brandon Burton, Rashard Carmichael, Johnny Patrick, Davon House and Ras-I Dowling any better prospects that what is currently on the roster??

And once you've done that evaluation, consider instead the depth & strength of the Safeties on the Steelers roster. Is Safety a bigger need?

in my opinion, the Steelers had the worst 2-4 CBs in the NFL in Bmac, Willie Gay and Anthony Madison. Keenan Lewis has shown nothing so far except a propensity to commit stupid penalties and Crezdon Butler couldn't get on the field...an upgrade is definitely needed here and the Steelers seem to agree. (see post about how Steelers are bringing in Curtis Brown for a visit).

I for one hope that Anthony Madison never again sees the field as a CB and we simply need to do better than BMac and Willie Gay as our #2 and #3 CBs...

Chadman
03-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Are you suggesting a rookie might start at CB? It would seem...unlikely...given the Coaching staff's history.

How did B-Mac play before he injured his hip? Chadman seems to remember he was at worst, adequate.

Not saying the Steelers CB's are good, just that they may have already invested in the young CB's required. Is it time for a Veteran instead?

And would drafting a guy like Quinton Carter out of Oklahoma, to be the back-up FS, be such a bad idea in the 2nd? Could he play in Nickle/Dime packages?

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Are you suggesting a rookie might start at CB? It would seem...unlikely...given the Coaching staff's history.

How did B-Mac play before he injured his hip? Chadman seems to remember he was at worst, adequate.

Not saying the Steelers CB's are good, just that they may have already invested in the young CB's required. Is it time for a Veteran instead?

And would drafting a guy like Quinton Carter out of Oklahoma, to be the back-up FS, be such a bad idea in the 2nd? Could he play in Nickle/Dime packages?

I'm all for drafting a safety as well. Will Allen is definitely replaceable, Ryan Clark is a liability in coverage at times, Ryan Mundy is adequate at best and Troy is often injured.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2011, 12:39 AM
If this lockout drags on through the summer, and rookies have no contact with coaches, no minicamps, no OTA's, no playbooks to learn, and possibly even no real training camp (at least not to the extent we are used to), then there is no way a rookie corner would be a candidate to start on this team, no matter how poor our other options might be. We already know how difficult it tends to be for rookie DB's to see the field when everything is normal...add in a possible extended labor mess, and rookies will be essentially getting a redshirt year. The Joe Greene Award could potentially go to another special teamer like the year Patrick Bailey won the thing.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think Mike Pouncey would be the sole exception to this, since he would be living and training with his brother, would could teach him the playbook and guide him through the offseason to prepare him for his rookie year. He's the only guy who would have a full time tutor like that, which is another reason why I don't have a problem trading up for him.

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2011, 01:13 AM
If this lockout drags on through the summer, and rookies have no contact with coaches, no minicamps, no OTA's, no playbooks to learn, and possibly even no real training camp (at least not to the extent we are used to), then there is no way a rookie corner would be a candidate to start on this team, no matter how poor our other options might be. We already know how difficult it tends to be for rookie DB's to see the field when everything is normal...add in a possible extended labor mess, and rookies will be essentially getting a redshirt year. The Joe Greene Award could potentially go to another special teamer like the year Patrick Bailey won the thing.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think Mike Pouncey would be the sole exception to this, since he would be living and training with his brother, would could teach him the playbook and guide him through the offseason to prepare him for his rookie year. He's the only guy who would have a full time tutor like that, which is another reason why I don't have a problem trading up for him.

I would have no problem with trading up for Mike Pouncey, but it will most likely require our 3rd round pick to do so.

as long as I knew we were going to be drafting a Bruce Davis or Kraig Urbik with our 3rd round selection instead of a Mike Wallace or Hines Ward with that 3rd round pick, of course. :)

StarSpangledSteeler
03-22-2011, 05:20 AM

You bring up some interesting points/questions. I don't know that anyone on this board can answer them for sure. Only the Steelers coaching staff know what skills they see day in and day out from our current CB's. I will tell you what I have seen from watching (like many others here) the Steelers play each week.

1) The types of patterns that seem to be most effective against our 2-6 CB's are: short outs/turnarounds and quick slants/crossing routes. That's not to say we don't get beat on other routes as well, that's just how most teams attack us. I think the reason they do so is first because of scheme but also because none of our CB's have that quick back pedal and quick forward break to stop them. I believe Harris, Brown, Carmichael, Skrine, (among others) have that skill set.

2) I think sometimes we as fans get to know our own team's players so well we lose the ability to evaluate them objectively. Who do we have on our current roster who can legitimately run with top WR's? Get their head around? And make a play on the ball? I contend there is no one (except possibly Ike Taylor). I know that McFadden cannot. I know that Gay cannot. I know that Madison cannot. I see no real risk in getting rid of them to give a young draftee a chance. We have nothing to lose by cutting those three.

3) As far as Lewis, Butler, and Warren go - You have to assume our coaches are watching their skill sets every day in practice. If they are "clearly" better than the current starters they are going to see the field. I have to assume they are not.

4) With the way teams are attacking us with 4-5 wide, we need 6 CB's on our roster. Taylor, Butler, Lewis, Warren still leaves two roster spots for rookie CB's. Especially those drafted in rounds 1-3 who would potentially have quicker feet than 3 out of our 4 current CB's.

5) I still believe Lewis can play safety, at least as a back up.

6) I believe Carnell Lake can/will do some actual coaching (for a change) and help our young CB's improve, but you still need guys with the talent to execute the plays. I just don't think our current guys can.

Shawn
03-22-2011, 10:41 AM

I know what you're saying, but...sure looks like the Steelers are targeting a CB in the first couple of rounds.

Ike Taylor, Willie Gay and Anthony Madison are UFAs and there's no guarantee that we will be able to re-sign any of them and even if we can we won't know that until after the draft is completed.

the Steelers interviewed Brandon Burton, Rashad Carmichael and Johnny Patrick at the Combine and are bringing in Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown for two of our 30 official visits. I'll be very surprised if we don't draft one of these CBs knowing that we only have BMac, Keenan Lewis, Crezdon Butler and Donovan Warren under contract going into the draft.

I think it's much more likely that the Steelers will move up in the second round to grab Burton. I believe Burton is the guy the Steelers covet. Honestly with the way the draft might play out, it almost makes more sense to trade down in the first, move up in the second, so they can get two high second rounders. They could land Williams and Burton...that would be a very solid start and would likely fall under BPA.