PDA

View Full Version : Meet Ras-I Dowling

steelerkeylargo
03-18-2011, 02:30 PM
http://thenationalfootballreport.com/20 ... i-dowling/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/03/18/2011-nfl-draft-profile-ras-i-dowling/)

Oviedo
03-18-2011, 02:34 PM
If not for the numerous injuries would seem like a good fit.

hawaiiansteel
03-18-2011, 02:43 PM
If not for the numerous injuries would seem like a good fit.

Dowling didn't participate at Virginia's Pro Day yesterday because he's still injured and is scheduled to try again at a private workout on April 4th.

however, it looks like there are still plenty of interested teams if he does have a good workout on April 4th...

2011 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia

March 17, 2011
By Cory J. Bonini

http://www.kffl.com/images/media/ras-i-dowling-391x213-20091107.jpg

Virginia cornerback Ras-I Dowling concluded his four-year stint with the Cavaliers and offers his unique skill set to teams in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Dowling missed most of his senior campaign because of injury, but his junior effort illustrated his on-field versatility (58 tackles, 1.0 sack, two forced fumbles and three interceptions).

Strengths

Fluidity
Zone awareness
Good vision
Read-and-react skills
Height (6-foot-1 3/8)
Athletic with very good speed (pulled a hamstring but still produced a 4.40-second 40-yard dash after slowing yards before the finish line)
Physical in run support - big hitter
Very good hands and ball skills
Dedicated worker, respected teammate
Upside

Weaknesses

Recovery speed
Durability (missed most of 2010 with a fractured ankle and other various lower-body ailments; currently battling a hamstring strain)
Appears to be a little thin at 198 pounds
High backpedal
Takes poor angles in run support
Breaks down well in space to make the tackle

Expected Draft Placement

Assuming he checks out fine medically, Dowling should be a second-round selection. There is a premium placed on cornerbacks with his size, speed, experience and instincts, so any reason he falls out of the second stanza is because of health concerns.

Expect the Oakland Raiders (No. 48) to be highly interested in Dowling, especially with Nnamdi Asomugha moving on from the team; Dowling fits Al Davis' mold of a cornerback.

The Detroit Lions (No. 44) are also a possible landing spot for him. Other teams that could be interested include the Philadelphia Eagles, Baltimore Ravens, Atlanta Falcons and Green Bay Packers.

http://www.kffl.com/a.php/127437/192/nf ... --Virginia (http://www.kffl.com/a.php/127437/192/nfl-draft/2011-NFL-Draft-Scouting-Report--Ras-I-Dowling--CB--Virginia)

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2011, 02:42 AM
Ras-I Dowling Performs For NFL Scouts

Posted: Apr 04, 2011

Virginia football star Ras-I Dowling is considered UVA's best pro prospect for the upcoming NFL draft, but the cornerback's stock has dropped over the last year because of injuries.

Dowling missed seven games this past season, wasn't healthy for the NFL combine in February, and missed the Cavaliers pro-timing day last month.

A healthy Dowling held his pro timing day for NFL scouts Monday at the McCue Center, and says he's happy to finally be able to show what he can do.

"It felt good," says Dowling. "It felt good, just to be back out here, to have this opportunity. It's a good experience."

Ras-I Dowling played in just 5 games his senior season, missing time with knee and hamstring injuries, as well as a fractured ankle.

No scouts were able to comment on Dowling's performance after his workout, but the cornerback says they did give him some advice.

"We had a couple of words," says Dowling. "They said things went well, but there were a couple of things I needed to work on, which I already knew. Just my overall. Just everything. I never settle myself for one thing, and try to get better."

Dowling reached 38 inches in the vertical test, leapt 10-feet 8-inches in the broad jump, and did 19 reps at 225 pounds in the bench press.

He ran a 4.4 forty before injuring his hamstring at the NFL combine, and was unofficially clocked even faster Monday.

Dowling says, "I felt good. I'm still rehabbing, so I'm not 100% running yet. I think I ran a good enough time."

Ras-I Dowling will find the answer on April 28th in the NFL Draft.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/14381280/ras ... nfl-scouts (http://www.nbc29.com/story/14381280/ras-i-dowling-performs-for-nfl-scouts)

steelz09
04-05-2011, 01:37 PM
I see Dowling as a big risk with the injury history.

With the NFL typically being a more physical game with bigger, stronger and faster players as well as a longer season, I don't see how this can't be a huge concern. This is addition to the style of defense the Steelers (& the physical North division) play where everybody is expected to hit and support the run as the #1 priority. I wouldn't take him in the 2nd.

Oviedo
04-05-2011, 01:45 PM

With the NFL typically being a more physical game with bigger, stronger and faster players as well as a longer season, I don't see how this can't be a huge concern. This is addition to the style of defense the Steelers (& the physical North division) play where everybody is expected to hit and support the run as the #1 priority. I wouldn't take him in the 2nd.

I would agree. Just too much risk unless he fall into Round 3 or 4. The taking a chance might make sense.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-06-2011, 09:19 AM
I was watching NFLN for a few minutes this morning and the ticker at the bottom was showing Mayock's top 5 at each position.

Up until now, every CB list I saw rated Paterson #1, Amukamara #2, and then any order of Harris, Smith, and Williams.

Suddenly today I see......#3 - Smith, #4 - Dowling, #5 - Harris.

He must have done something really good to see his stock rise this quickly despite the injury concerns.

sentinel33
04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Dowling has been a fringe first rounder since the conclusion of his 2009 campaign. He has the ability, but that means nothing if you cant stay on the field. Suspect durability.
Dissapoionted in Mayocks knee-jerk reaction to his pro day slotting him in at the #4 spot of his top 5 CB's. Your better than that Mike.

I personally hope we can get Curtis Brown. He's a quality DB who could play #2 to Ike. He also was a gunner on Special Teams. Bye bye A. madison. This would be a nice upgrade if we could get him in Rnd. 3, but something tells me he wont slip that far.

RuthlessBurgher
04-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Dowling has been a fringe first rounder since the conclusion of his 2009 campaign. He has the ability, but that means nothing if you cant stay on the field. Suspect durability.
Dissapoionted in Mayocks knee-jerk reaction to his pro day slotting him in at the #4 spot of his top 5 CB's. Your better than that Mike.

I personally hope we can get Curtis Brown. He's a quality DB who could play #2 to Ike. He also was a gunner on Special Teams. Bye bye A. madison. This would be a nice upgrade if we could get him in Rnd. 3, but something tells me he wont slip that far.

I don't think we'll be able to get Curtis Brown even in round 2. I suspect he comes off the board somewhere near the middle part of round 2.

Dee Dub
04-06-2011, 01:54 PM

I dont. I mean we're talking about a second round pick for a top 15 talent. I'll take that risk any day. Reward versus the slight risk of a second round pick is off the charts.

Sign me up!!! He is the perfect 3-4 zone blitz corner.

Dee Dub
04-06-2011, 01:56 PM

Say what?? This time last year Dowling was considered a top 15 pick by many experts. He never had any problems getting on the field until this past year. Dude..this is football. Injuries happen. One year doesnt make a trend.