PDA

View Full Version : Let's Go Pitt?

flippy
03-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Anyone else out there rooting for Pitt's first NCAA tourney win?

I stayed out of every bracket this year. I've been picking Pitt to win it all every year we've had Jamie Dixon as our coach.

Maybe changing my strategy will get Pitt over the hump.

Louisville losing already makes me worry the Big East is overrated again....ugh.

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2011, 05:46 PM
I normally end up picking 1 or 2 top seeds, a 2nd or 3rd seed, and a 4th or 5th seeded "surprise" team to make the Final Four. This year, though, the chalk got the better of me. I picked every #1 seed to make it to the Final Four...except for Pitt. So there goes that. At least I'm not as much of a front-runner as Obama picking all 4 top seeds to advance to make it to Houston.

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm rooting for Pitt, they are winning this game handily and should be able to get past Butler in their next game.

Go Pitt Panthers! :tt2

feltdizz
03-17-2011, 07:14 PM

I stayed out of every bracket this year. I've been picking Pitt to win it all every year we've had Jamie Dixon as our coach.

Louisville losing already makes me worry the Big East is overrated again....ugh.

The Big East isn't over rated... Faried is a beast on the boards.

More teams in the tourney means more chances to lose. I think VCU will beat Gtown tomorrow too.

proudpittsburgher
03-19-2011, 11:43 AM

The Big East isn't over rated... Faried is a beast on the boards.

More teams in the tourney means more chances to lose. I think VCU will beat Gtown tomorrow too.

Nice pick . . . I actually had USC beating VCU and picked them over Gtown as well. Either way, I knew gtown wasn't advancing.

feltdizz
03-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Jamie Dixon = Wanny

hawaiiansteel
03-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Ron Cook: Pitt's players lost this one

Sunday, March 20, 2011

WASHINGTON -- Go ahead, blame the officials all you want. They didn't beat Pitt Saturday night. Pitt beat Pitt.

Don't the Panthers always seem to do that this time of year?

This early flameout from the NCAA tournament hurt more than any of the others in the past decade. Pitt was a No. 1 seed, the class and champions of the powerful Big East Conference. It was taken down by No. 8 seed Butler, 71-70, at the Verizon Center in just its second tournament game. It was the biggest upset of the first three days of the first weekend of the tournament. So much for that long-awaited trip to the Final Four. So much for the national championship that the Pitt players talked about so openly. National championship? There's not even going to be a trip to New Orleans next weekend for the Southeast Region semifinals.

Shame on the Panthers.

You just can't lose your second game when you're a No. 1 seed.

There were plenty of reasons Pitt lost long before the controversial foul call on Nasir Robinson on a rebound attempt under the Pitt basket with 0.8 seconds left that enabled Butler's Matt Howard to make the winning free throw. In no particular order: The 12-point hole Pitt dug in the first half with yet another slow start. Its inability to stop Butler's Shelvin Mack from scoring 30 points. Its inability to stop Butler in general from making 12 3s, seven by Mack. Its inability to get more than two shots in the second half for top scorer Ashton Gibbs. Its failure to close the game out after leading by five points with 10 1/2 minutes left. Its inexcusable shot-clock violation with 9.2 seconds left and a 69-68 lead. Its defensive breakdown that allowed Butler's Andrew Smith to score a wide-open layup with 2.2 seconds left for a 70-69 lead when center Gary McGhee pulled off Smith to help stop a driving Shawn Vanzant. Senior Gilbert Brown's failure to make a second free throw with 1.4 seconds left after hitting one for a 70-70 tie. Robinson's foul on the rebound after Brown's miss.

As I watched Howard make the deciding free throw, I thought about something Pitt senior Brad Wanamaker said before the tournament. "We've got a hungry chip on our backs again." Maybe he didn't say it quite right, but everyone knew what he was talking about. The Pitt players -- especially the seniors -- so badly wanted a long run in this tournament. They wanted to leave their lasting mark on the Pitt program. I'm convinced that's what led Robinson to go so hard after that rebound and give the officials a reason to make the foul call. It wasn't a smart play by any stretch. There was no way Butler would have scored and the game would have gone to overtime. But it's hard to knock Robinson's effort. He's played harder than any Pitt player all season.

"Nas was just trying to make a play," an emotional Brown said afterward. "Everything could have been avoided if I make a free throw."

Give Pitt coach Jamie Dixon, Brown, a sobbing Robinson and the other players a lot of credit for one thing. This had to be the toughest loss by a Pittsburgh team since the New York Islanders' David Volek beat the Penguins in the 1993 hockey playoffs, maybe even since Sid Bream beat Barry Bonds' throw to the plate to break the Pirates' hearts in the 1992 baseball playoffs. But Dixon and the others refused to blame the game on the Robinson foul call even though they repeatedly were baited to do so during the postgame interviews. They showed a lot of class. Or maybe they were just honest enough with themselves to know the hard truth.

"I wouldn't say that," McGhee said when asked if he felt the officials determined the game more than the players. "It came down to making plays at the end. They made more than we did."

"We lost the game in the first half with mental lapses on defense," Brown said.

"We didn't lose on one play," Dixon said. "We lost throughout the entire game. We've got to take care of business the whole way through. We just weren't able to close it out."

So it ended for the Pitt seniors, McGhee, Brown and Wanamaker. They finished their superb careers with 111 wins, but it will be their 29th loss that they'll always remember.

And so it ended for Dixon this season, his eighth at Pitt, without, again, a trip to the Final Four. Many in Pitt's fan base will blame him -- they'll say he always seems to find a way to lose the big tournament games -- but I refuse to go there. Players win and lose games. Butler's players won this one even though they have a lesser team. Pitt's players lost it.

When last seen Saturday night, Dixon slowly was walking up a long hallway, dragging his garment bag, headed to the team bus for what surely was a brutal ride home. His path took him right by the Butler locker room. Howard still was outside the door, talking about the unlikely ending, his winning free throw, the big win and Butler's trip to New Orleans to play Wisconsin Thursday.

It should be Pitt's trip.

Blame only the Pitt players that it is not.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11079/11 ... z1H6v9sgqA (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11079/1133417-291.stm#ixzz1H6v9sgqA)

flippy
03-20-2011, 10:46 AM
This was as bad as I've seen Pitt play since Jamie Dixon's been coaching. Time for a new coach.

I don't get how you only play defense below the 3 pt line.

They wasted so much talent this season. If they'd only play defense outside the 3pt arc, they'd have blown out Butler. My high school team could have beat Pitt last night if someone was shooting 3s well.

I feel a bit ill after watching that game.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Pitt brings the suck like no other every year at tournament time. I also think the Big East is overrated.

feltdizz
03-20-2011, 12:27 PM
The big east has good competition across the board so they get a ton of love. The problem is their teams rarely get NBA talent so the tourney exposes their flaws when one player on a team has a hot night.
The big east is a bunch of role players. Same thing with football. You get a Baldwin or Fitz at Pitt but but the QB throwing to them is usually a JV talent.

Dixon is an awful game day coach. Sure Pitt can win the big east but time and time again you see pitt with no answer for one guy. Hot from 3, cover the 3 right? Nah... Up one and he calls time out after letting 22 seconds run off the shot clock. WTF?

I'm done... I will root for, VCU for now on. Its the school I graduated from and regardless of the coach they exceed expectations more times then not. I'm done giving emotion to the home town who keeps losing to lesser competition and always says next year.

SteelStallion
03-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Wow, just wow. The manner in which they lost is profound. I've never seen a university the size of UPitt have so much trouble catching a break in sports. At least their basketball is nationally relevant, sort of. Thr football program is not even relevant.

Dixon reminds me a lot of Bill Cowher, the conservatively-oriented, defensive-minded, systems-oriented-no-adjustment type that wins a lot in regular season but underperforms in the post season. I think they're at a plateau. Problem is they've never been better in basketball so I don't think they'll tinker much. Hopefully it gets better. As for the players- these are seniors making thses mistakes?- just incredible. Definitely don't have a lot of great players at Pitt. Hopefully that gets better too.

NJ-STEELER
03-21-2011, 01:45 AM
They're actually not all that talented. They rebound and try to play tough D. BUT IF SOMEONE CAN SHOOT THE 3 vs them... They always have trouble

Haywood and Mack are the 2 best players on the floor last night and I think they would likely split of they played 10 games against each other. Gibbs is the only guy that can shoot consistently on that team.

As another coach playing pitt. Who are you scared of?? Cover gibbs and let the other guys shoot bricks (wannamaker)
Their inside game consisted of a 6'5 guy in Robinson who played really well before th foul but can't be counted on in the long run at that size

I think this team was severly overrated and the big east as a whole is overrated

Next year they get to bring in a big recruit with some legit talent in birch. Dixons's other
5 star recruit (Blair) got them within a lay up of the final 4. This guy is said to be top 5-
10 recruit overall
I'm not gonna trash Dixon when he doesn't have legit talent on the roster. He usually turn
chicken chit onto chicken salad

frankthetank1
03-21-2011, 07:58 AM
They're actually not all that talented. They rebound and try to play tough D. BUT IF SOMEONE CAN SHOOT THE 3 vs them... They always have trouble

Haywood and Mack are the 2 best players on the floor last night and I think they would likely split of they played 10 games against each other. Gibbs is the only guy that can shoot consistently on that team.

As another coach playing pitt. Who are you scared of?? Cover gibbs and let the other guys shoot bricks (wannamaker)
Their inside game consisted of a 6'5 guy in Robinson who played really well before th foul but can't be counted on in the long run at that size

I think this team was severly overrated and the big east as a whole is overrated

Next year they get to bring in a big recruit with some legit talent in birch. Dixons's other
5 star recruit (Blair) got them within a lay up of the final 4. This guy is said to be top 5-
10 recruit overall
I'm not gonna trash Dixon when he doesn't have legit talent on the roster. He usually turn

i agree 100%. dixon is one of the best recruiters in the country. pitt gets more nyc products than any program in the country. pitt hasnt had a great team the last two years but they continue to dominate the big east in the regular season. that loss to butler was awful and it was the wors officiated game i have ever saw. howard was flopping all game and getting the calls and then a foul with 0.4 left on the clock? i have seen a lot worse fouls not called in that situation

feltdizz
03-21-2011, 08:47 AM

10 recruit overall

i agree 100%. dixon is one of the best recruiters in the country. pitt gets more nyc products than any program in the country. pitt hasnt had a great team the last two years but they continue to dominate the big east in the regular season. that loss to butler was awful and it was the wors officiated game i have ever saw. howard was flopping all game and getting the calls and then a foul with 0.4 left on the clock? i have seen a lot worse fouls not called in that situation

excuses....

and more excuses....

sure PITT doesn't get the NBA talent but neither does George Mason, VCU, Richmond, Butler, etc.

those teams found ways to beat better teams the last few years so why can't PITT beat lesser teams? Pitt didn't lose to UNC or Duke... they lost to Butler.

The Big East is indeed over rated and the coaching is horrible. Look around... 11 Big East teams and Morehead State, FSU, Butler and VCU stomped mudholes in them.

It's the coaching. Dixon is the "BA" of basketball... he refuses to adjust and anytime his team gets a run he calls time out after a basket. They lost 3 games due to switching on the high pick and role... he just doesn't adjust well in games.

Like Wanny, Dixon just can't seem to get his teams to play above and beyond when it matters most.

I'm done.. I'll check in on them but my heart has to go with my Alma Mater... VCU may never get to the FF but I the last few years they have beat Duke, lost to UCLA by 1, lost in OT to PITT and now they are on a major run. At least VCU plays better than expected. It would be nice to see PITT do that once before I die in the tourney.

frankthetank1
03-21-2011, 09:36 AM

10 recruit overall

excuses....

and more excuses....

sure PITT doesn't get the NBA talent but neither does George Mason, VCU, Richmond, Butler, etc.

those teams found ways to beat better teams the last few years so why can't PITT beat lesser teams? Pitt didn't lose to UNC or Duke... they lost to Butler.

The Big East is indeed over rated and the coaching is horrible. Look around... 11 Big East teams and Morehead State, FSU, Butler and VCU stomped mudholes in them.

It's the coaching. Dixon is the "BA" of basketball... he refuses to adjust and anytime his team gets a run he calls time out after a basket. They lost 3 games due to switching on the high pick and role... he just doesn't adjust well in games.

Like Wanny, Dixon just can't seem to get his teams to play above and beyond when it matters most.

I'm done.. I'll check in on them but my heart has to go with my Alma Mater... VCU may never get to the FF but I the last few years they have beat Duke, lost to UCLA by 1, lost in OT to PITT and now they are on a major run. At least VCU plays better than expected. It would be nice to see PITT do that once before I die in the tourney.

butler is no slouch though. imo they are on the same level as a program like gonzaga. it looks like butler will be a perenial tournament team for years to come. my point about dixon was he doesnt have the best team but they go pretty far with the talent he has. i didnt expect all that much from pitt this year or last. i thought two years ago was their year and they did barely lose to nova in the elite 8 that year.

how do you fault dixon for mghee not switching back after the screen was set and guarding walker on the perimeter? that's on mghee imo. he had ample time to switch from walker to his man and he didnt and got beat badly

NJ-STEELER
03-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Losing by 2 points in the last seconds to a team that was in the finals last year is getting stomped??

Ghost
03-21-2011, 01:31 PM
This loss was a disgrace and an embarrassment. Number #1 should never lose to #8 ( a team that needed a last second shot to beat Old Dominion).

Down by up to 14 in the first half, get back to within 2 and then go in to half back down by 8.

Coming out of a timeout with a 1 point lead and the play is a terrible, lopsided, not that close to the basket jumper. Really? That's the play discussed in the time out? Might as well have talked about what bar to go to after the game as not much basketball was discussed.

How in the F*ck do you let the shot clock expire with less than a minute to go? No points and worse yet, not even a chance at a rebond and a new clock to run the time way down (or get fouled or get a basket). That shouldn't happen in December, much less March. Ridiculous.

And what is Dixon thinking with the game tied and .9 on the clock. PULL EVERY PITT PLAYER BACK TO MID COURT. Who cares if Butler get the rebound. Don't put Robinson or any player in a possition to have a chance to commit a foul. That's bad coaching.

I like Dixon, a lot. But at some point you have to start to question horrific after horrific loss in the big dance. Pitt may not be Duke or OSU, but they sure as hell should have beaten Butler.

feltdizz
03-21-2011, 03:10 PM
This loss was a disgrace and an embarrassment. Number #1 should never lose to #8 ( a team that needed a last second shot to beat Old Dominion).

Down by up to 14 in the first half, get back to within 2 and then go in to half back down by 8.

Coming out of a timeout with a 1 point lead and the play is a terrible, lopsided, not that close to the basket jumper. Really? That's the play discussed in the time out? Might as well have talked about what bar to go to after the game as not much basketball was discussed.

How in the F*ck do you let the shot clock expire with less than a minute to go? No points and worse yet, not even a chance at a rebond and a new clock to run the time way down (or get fouled or get a basket). That shouldn't happen in December, much less March. Ridiculous.

And what is Dixon thinking with the game tied and .9 on the clock. PULL EVERY PITT PLAYER BACK TO MID COURT. Who cares if Butler get the rebound. Don't put Robinson or any player in a possition to have a chance to commit a foul. That's bad coaching.

I like Dixon, a lot. But at some point you have to start to question horrific after horrific loss in the big dance. Pitt may not be Duke or OSU, but they sure as hell should have beaten Butler.

Exactly.... every year it's the same thing. Sure we almost made the FF a few years ago but if anyone followed that tourney Pitt struggled to beat bad teams in the 1st and second round as well. Dixon isn't a great coach... he is a great motivator of lesser talent in the big east.

When you look at the BE this year though I think it's clear the BE is pretty average. Until PITT gets superior guard play they will struggle. The Tourney is all about the guards.

VCU has no big man but they have a bunch of tweeners and a PG who is an actual PG. 11 points and 10 assist.

Pitt needs to get a savvy PG... and I think the NYC ball is killing them. Sure they are great in a brawl but when its time for some fitness they are awful.

Oh well... another year another PITT disappointment.

and while the score was close PITT was stomped buy a team who made the finals LAST YEAR. They weren't that good this year and PITT should have handled them easily when they were up 5 with about 6 minutes to go but we know the story... please sir, shoot the 3 because surely you won't make it since you have been on fire all night.

Steelerphile
03-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Butler is not a less talented team than Pitt. They definitely shoot better from the outside. They probably have more ballhandlers. They did not have as much brawn and strength underneath the basket. But overall, I think the teams were comparable depth-wise.

Dixon is a great coach. He takes talent that is not superior talent and coaches them to Big East championships and great records year after year. if Pitt was going to advance in the tournament they were going to have to win the close games. They were not going to blow anybody out after the 1st round. When you take it down to the wire, the last shot can either go your way or against you. If Brown makes the 2nd free throw, Pitt advances. In this case, he didn't.

Pitt was in trouble offensively because their big man, McGhee has minimal offensive skills. He is strictly a rebounder and defender. I've never seen him take an 8-15 ft jump shot or jump hook. They try to pass it to him underneath and he cannot put the ball on the floor and make an offensive move and get his own shot. He can only execute tips or dunks if he is alone underneath. This puts mucho pressure on the rest to score.

I think the call on Robinson was a semi-makeup call because the ref blew the whistle against Butler with 1.9 secs and gave Pitt a chance to seal the win. If he didn't do that I think the Robinson play was a no-call.

feltdizz
03-21-2011, 05:16 PM
The foul on Pitt was horrible and the ref doesn't call that 99.9% of the time.

Butler doesn't have the talent of PITT by a long shot... they have the coaching and the discipline but talent wise they aren't in the same room with PITT. Mack carried Butler...

PITT isn't a better outside shooting team but they have superior athleticism and strength.

McGhee isn't the difference in this game... look around the tourney and the big man isn't really the deciding factor in most games. It's the guard play and the 3. Brown had an outstanding game but where was Gibbs and Wannamaker? Wannamaker had an awful game.

The sad fact is the Big East really is an average league with the same number of teams in the sweet 16 as the city of Richmond.

Imagine how the tourney would look if they added mid majors instead of every Big East team?

papillon
03-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Pitt is built for the Big East regular season and that doesn't translate into a one and done tournament. You need to have a player that make a one-on-one play to get points when they are needed. Pitt plays good defense (although not against Butler) and rebounds, their offense is typically created out of their defense and rebounding.

As constituted they are not a good tournament team, but they are a good team. It would be nice to get a "go to" offensive player that you can lean on.

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
03-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Thats definitely what they're missing PAP. On the last play they designed for wannamaker to drive to the hoop. When that was taken away, he had no clue what to do with he ball. I really havent seen Gibbs take anybody off the dribble either

When they had Blair, they're outside shootin was suspect. This year their shooting was improved but didn't have the inside presence

PS. still haven't seen anyone say who on pitt is better then flopwood or Mack?
IMO they had the 2 best players in the game... Not hard to u derstand why they lost. That's all u need most times in college BB

papillon
03-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Thats definitely what they're missing PAP. On the last play they designed for wannamaker to drive to the hoop. When that was taken away, he had no clue what to do with he ball. I really havent seen Gibbs take anybody off the dribble either

When they had Blair, they're outside shootin was suspect. This year their shooting was improved but didn't have the inside presence

IMO they had the 2 best players in the game... Not hard to u derstand why they lost. That's all u need most times in college BB

Too difficult to judge one player versus another. The Butler guards played much better than the Pitt guards and that was the difference in the game. The statistics all favor Pitt in the game except turnovers and foul shooting.

Pitt took six less shots and had four more turnovers that pretty much is the difference in the game. Pitt for some reason refused to guard Mack outside the arc and it cost them a trip the sweet 16.

Pitt didn't do what they do best (defend) and create offense. They rebounded like they usually do, but Butler got back on defense for the most part and didn't let Pitt get too many easy buckets on the break.

Like I said, they're built for the rough and tumble Big East season not a one and done tournament where one guy can carry a team and win games.

Pappy

The Sodfather
03-22-2011, 06:39 AM
They're built for the Thugball Big East. When they get out of there and have to rely on actual basketball skills they are in trouble.

They just aren't that talented.

feltdizz
03-22-2011, 08:53 AM

Too difficult to judge one player versus another. The Butler guards played much better than the Pitt guards and that was the difference in the game. The statistics all favor Pitt in the game except turnovers and foul shooting.

Pitt took six less shots and had four more turnovers that pretty much is the difference in the game. Pitt for some reason refused to guard Mack outside the arc and it cost them a trip the sweet 16.

Pitt didn't do what they do best (defend) and create offense. They rebounded like they usually do, but Butler got back on defense for the most part and didn't let Pitt get too many easy buckets on the break.

Like I said, they're built for the rough and tumble Big East season not a one and done tournament where one guy can carry a team and win games.

Pappy

PITT's D this year was reminiscent of the Steelers D in 2009. It wasn't really that good.

feltdizz
03-27-2011, 09:56 PM
bump... anyone watching my alma mater VCU? It's coaching...

eniparadoxgma
03-27-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm watching UK thankyoumuch.

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2011, 10:24 PM
bump... anyone watching my alma mater VCU? It's coaching...

man, you gotta be proud... :Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
03-27-2011, 10:32 PM

I've been watching Pens hockey! Now two points behind Philly for the conference lead, and the Flyers come to the Burgh this Tuesday, when we'll tie 'em up at 100! The fact that the Pens have actually gained ground in the standings since losing 2 of the best players in the world to injury is nothing short of remarkable.

There is basketball going on now? Whoda thunk it?

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2011, 11:48 PM

I've been watching Pens hockey! Now two points behind Philly for the conference lead, and the Flyers come to the Burgh this Tuesday, when we'll tie 'em up at 100! The fact that the Pens have actually gained ground in the standings since losing 2 of the best players in the world to injury is nothing short of remarkable.

There is basketball going on now? Whoda thunk it?

Fleury is playing out of his mind right now, we've actually won the last 3 games while scoring only 2 goals.

papillon
03-28-2011, 06:58 AM

Pappy

PITT's D this year was reminiscent of the Steelers D in 2009. It wasn't really that good.

Their body of work this past year says differently. They only had 6 games (maybe 7) where the opponent scored 70 or more points. That tells me they play defense very well. I'm not sure what happened against Butler, I'll have to watch the game again to see what the Butler offense was doing to get Mack open behind the arc. Maybe, they weren't doing anything special and the Panthers just had a bad night defensively or maybe Mack was just on fire regardless of where he was at on the court or maybe they put an offense in to get him the looks. Their coach is an extremely astute basketball guy and he's young.

Pappy

feltdizz
03-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Pitts D wasn't good this year... the opponents shooting was just awful. There is a reason the majority of the BE was out of the tourney by the second round.

BE can bang but they can't shoot...

flippy
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Pitts D wasn't good this year... the opponents shooting was just awful. There is a reason the majority of the BE was out of the tourney by the second round.

Pitt's defense begins and ends inside the 3 pt arc. A shooter will kill Pitt all day every day beyond the arc.

feltdizz
03-28-2011, 11:39 AM

Pitt's defense begins and ends inside the 3 pt arc. A shooter will kill Pitt all day every day beyond the arc.

it will kill most teams but the problem with PITT is when a guy is killing them from 3 they don't adjust. No box and 1. No mixing up of the D from possession to possession. It's just the same old stubborn Dixon style and we lose due to it every year.

I know hind sight is 20/20 but switching at the end of games killed them EVERYTIME they needed one stop. Calling timeouts after made baskets served no purpose because they never switched up the D after the timeout. No press, no traps.. very Cowher like before we opened it up with Ben in the playoffs.

Doing the same thing every year isn't working and getting a big man won't change a thing. You need guards... a True PG and and 3 point shooters. Until PITT gets some real guards instead of these Ron Artest type guys PITT won't get far in the tourney.

VCU and Butler are prime examples of coaching and good guard play.

flippy
03-28-2011, 03:07 PM
I thought the talent was as good as Pitt has had. And I even thought Ashton Gibbs was the shooter that was gonna get us over the hump.

I guess I feel a little better seeing Butler in the final 4. Hopefully they win it all to take away some of the sting.