PDA

View Full Version : Tyron Smith Falls Right into Steelers Lap….

Dee Dub
03-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Everyone has a mock draft. And most, come April 28, won't mean much.
But prior to the big show in New York City, there are 32 draft boards that really do matter. Those are the projections made in team war rooms that can guide how far a club thinks it needs to trade up to get a player, and how far it believes it can deal down without really regretting it.
With that in mind, I thought it would be interesting to seek out a college scout to put together his own mock draft. And one I know from an AFC team was nice enough to take on the task.
Here is his take on how the first 32 picks could shake out:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d ... ule=HP_cp2 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81ec96b7/article/elite-defensive-players-go-early-in-scouts-mock-draft?module=HP_cp2)

Dee Dub
03-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Wow!! An AFC Scout thinks Rahim Moore is a first round pick? Hmmmmmmm?? Interesting.

PICK NO.
24--RAHIM MOORE
S
UCLA

The Saints address a big need with the best safety in the draft.

Oviedo
03-17-2011, 01:28 PM
I have the same concern with Tryon Smith as I do with Rodney Hudson. They have "fattened up" for the beauty contests leading up to the draft but I'm not sure either can maintain a weight of over 300lbs for an entire season. In a conference loaded with big DTs that would be a major liability. Both players are lean in build and not sure either could keep another 20-30lbs of "good weight" on them.

birtikidis
03-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Wow!! An AFC Scout thinks Rahim Moore is a first round pick? Hmmmmmmm?? Interesting.

PICK NO.
24--RAHIM MOORE
S
UCLA

must be a bengals scout.

Dee Dub
03-17-2011, 01:37 PM
I have the same concern with Tryon Smith as I do with Rodney Hudson. They have "fattened up" for the beauty contests leading up to the draft but I'm not sure either can maintain a weight of over 300lbs for an entire season. In a conference loaded with big DTs that would be a major liability. Both players are lean in build and not sure either could keep another 20-30lbs of "good weight" on them.

Well this anonymous AFC scout does. And just a suggestion... try to get your head around how a guy actually plays on the field once in a while. Not so much how much they weigh. :wink: Tyron Smith played lights out at RT. He is the epitome of a pass blocking tackle. What he gives up in size and run blocking he compensates in protecting the QB.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Everyone has a mock draft. And most, come April 28, won't mean much.
But prior to the big show in New York City, there are 32 draft boards that really do matter. Those are the projections made in team war rooms that can guide how far a club thinks it needs to trade up to get a player, and how far it believes it can deal down without really regretting it.
With that in mind, I thought it would be interesting to seek out a college scout to put together his own mock draft. And one I know from an AFC team was nice enough to take on the task.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d ... ule=HP_cp2 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81ec96b7/article/elite-defensive-players-go-early-in-scouts-mock-draft?module=HP_cp2)
If Tyron Smith makes it to the Steelers, the Commisioner will remain at the podium after anouncing the 30th pick because the Steelers card will be there before he says, "The Steelers are on the clock." I have actually seen drafts where he is the 1st OT off the board followed by Costanza. He has the highest ceilng at LT than any other prospect but not enough college snaps at that position.

Dee Dub
03-17-2011, 01:48 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":3mim8x2u]Everyone has a mock draft. And most, come April 28, won't mean much.

If Tyron Smith makes it to the Steelers, the Commisioner will remain at the podium after anouncing the 30th pick because the Steelers card will be there before he says, "The Steelers are on the clock." I have actually seen drafts where he is the 1st OT off the board followed by Costanza. He has the highest ceilng at LT than any other prospect but not enough college snaps at that position.[/quote:3mim8x2u]

Agreed!! Wow...you and I agree on something. :D

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2011, 03:05 PM
USC OT moving up ?? … Southern California OT Tyron Smith, arguably the top prospect at the position for the 2011 draft, reportedly has scheduled visits to Dallas and Minnesota, which have the 9th and 12th picks respectively in this year’s opening round.

http://www.gbnreport.com/index.htm

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2011, 03:19 PM
USC OT moving up ?? … Southern California OT Tyron Smith, arguably the top prospect at the position for the 2011 draft, reportedly has scheduled visits to Dallas and Minnesota, which have the 9th and 12th picks respectively in this year’s opening round.

http://www.gbnreport.com/index.htm

Yeah, I don't foresee Smith falling down to #31 at all. I mocked him to Detroit at #13 (first OT off my board).

steelblood
03-17-2011, 03:43 PM
I'd take that in a second!

Unfortunately, I believe Tyron will be the first or second tackle off the board. He probably has the best left tackle natural skill set in the draft. Yeah, he'll need a little time to make the transition. But, he has a huge ceiling. Castonzo is very good, but limited atheltically and Solder has some holes in his games and may be too tall to be effective against strong bull rushers. Carimi is likely a RT. Sherrod may be a LT but he doesn't have Smith's athleticism or toughness.

steelerkeylargo
03-17-2011, 05:41 PM
College Scouts are assigned a section of the country to scout. Therefore this scout hasnt even watched 80% of the players in the draft. Take this mock with a grain of salt.

Shawn
03-17-2011, 05:44 PM

PICK NO.
24--RAHIM MOORE
S
UCLA

I believe keylargo also knows scouts who believe he is no better than a 3rd. In my most recent readings they had him as a third round talent as well. It seems like there is a wide varied opinion on the guy. I personally have a feeling that he will go high to mid second.

Chadman
03-17-2011, 06:15 PM
I have actually seen drafts where he is the 1st OT off the board followed by Costanza.

It's the Summer of George!!

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Anthony Castonzo is going to spend the time between the combine and the draft reading a book (from beginning to end...in that order) and is then going to frolf.

Chadman
03-17-2011, 07:22 PM
George: Listen to me. We're always sitting here. I'm always helping you with your girl problems, you're always helping me with my girl problems. Where do we end up?

Jerry: Here.

George: Exactly. Because neither one of us can handle a woman all by ourselves.

Jerry: I'm trying.

Jerry: Can you believe she expected me to squire her around town while the dude sits at home in swaddling clothes?

George: Do they make swaddling clothes for adults?

Jerry: It's like she's split the job of boyfriend into two jobs. Except the dude's playing the showroom and I'm stuck doing food and beverage

Jerry: So, has the summer of George begun? Or are you still decomposing?

George: Decompressing

Kramer: (to the group at Sardi's) So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title! The Life of a Salesman. That's what people want to see!

steelz09
03-17-2011, 08:04 PM
If Hotel is sticking around for 1 yr or so and Colon is not resigned then Smith is a good option.

I would rank tackle inline with NT if Colon is not resigned. My only concern is that NT is typically hardest to replace especially in a 3-4.