PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall backs Adrian Peterson's 'slave' comment

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2011, 01:43 AM
Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 17, 2011

Running back Rashard Mendenhall is drawing attention to himself — and not because of his costly fumble in Super Bowl XLV.

Mendenhall on Wednesday supported Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson's analogy between the NFL and the slave trade.

"It is a lot deep than most people understand," Mendenhall posted on the social networking site Twitter. "Anyone with knowledge of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel each other."

Peterson, a perennial All-Pro, fired the most controversial salvo between players and owners following the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987.

Players decertified as a union Friday after they could not reach a deal with the owners on a new collective bargaining agreement. The owners responded by locking out the players Saturday.

"It's modern-day slavery, you know?" Peterson told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday. "People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money ... the owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money. I understand that; these are business-minded people. Of course this is what they are going to want to do. I understand that; it's how they got to where they are now. But as players, we have to stand our ground and say, 'Hey — without us, there's no football.'

"I don't really see this going to where we'll be without football for a long time; there's too much money lost for the owners. Eventually, I feel that we'll get something done."

Peterson's comments generated heavy criticism, including from some NFL players.

Mendenhall, however, stood behind Peterson in a series of tweets posted late Tuesday and yesterday.

Mendenhall declined an interview requested from the Tribune-Review through his agent, Mike McCartney. McCartney confirmed that Mendenhall authored the tweets that appeared on his official Twitter site.

The Steelers also declined comment.

Mendenhall, who was coming off a second straight 1,000-yard season, is an unlikely player in the firestorm Peterson started. He is generally reserved around the media.

But he did not back off his Twitter comments, firing back at those who were critical of him.

"If you look back and dissect what I said, I didn't say that the NFL was slavery, I said that they parallel each other. Look up the word parallel," he wrote. "I could break down how but that would take an amount of ideology and big words that a lot of you wouldn't understand."

Another Mendenhall tweet said: "Learn to LISTEN before you pass judgement. Because speaking without knowledge of subject is truly ignorant."

Twitter has become popular among professional athletes.

Among the Steelers who have active accounts on Twitter or Facebook, another social media website, include receiver Hines Ward, strong safety Troy Polamalu and outside linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

Professional athletes' use of Twitter became a hot topic in November after Buffalo Bills receiver Steve Johnson dropped what would have been a game-winning touchdown pass against the Steelers. After the Steelers 19-16 overtime win, Johnson sent a tweet blaming God for his miscue.

That drew attention to the drawbacks the immediacy of social media.

Mendenhall is coming off one of the best seasons by a Steelers running back. He rushed for 1,273 yards and 13 touchdowns.

However, he lost a fumble at a critical juncture of last month's Super Bowl.

It came when the Steelers, who had scored 14 unanswered points, were driving in the third quarter against the Green Bay Packers.

The Steelers, who were trailing 21-17 when Mendenhall fumbled, lost, 31-25.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1GpCb4HDo (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_727833.html#ixzz1GpCb4HDo)

Chadman
03-17-2011, 02:28 AM
Oh geez...someone take the freakin' microphones away from the ATHLETE'S before they make themselves look like right knobhead's...

The NFL 'parallel's slaverty' Mendy?

Really?

Because, as Chadman sees it, these 'slaves' are better paid than the common man, allowed to do as they like beyond their contractual agreement with their employer & are free to leave the NFL as they desire.

That, as far as Chadman can figure, is nothing at all like slavery.

"If you look back and dissect what I said, I didn't say that the NFL was slavery, I said that they parallel each other. Look up the word parallel," he wrote. "I could break down how but that would take an amount of ideology and big words that a lot of you wouldn't understand."

Please, oh pretty please...Mr Mendy...can you use'm those big words of yours to explain yourself to us?

The only possible link to 'slavery' is the draft- where players don't dictate their destiny. And as far as Chadman has understood, there is no complaints regarding the draft process from the players.

Of course, free agency basically wipes out or at the least negates this link to slavery, because let's face it- slaves don't really get to choose their destiny now, do they?

Chadman suspects that Mr Mendy is mistaking 'contractual obligation' with 'slavery' & completely bypassing that whole 'free choice' thing he has available to him in order to make a point, so blatantly stupid, that Chadman can only wish that this is badly reported.

steelblood
03-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Slaves were never allowed free speech (twitter), the right to assembly (union), and the ability to take their "owners" to court for better working conditions. As Americans, we are spoiled by our liberties and freedoms. So spoiled, that many of us chose to claim that we are victims even when we are not because it is easier (and more financially rewarding) to blame someone else and paint them as a bad guy than it is to honestly and plainly deal with the reality of the situation. The truth here is that this is ALL about MONEY.

End the "slavery" rhetoric. Your "owners" have taken advantage of you on some level. But, you have never been subjugated and made submissive by them. And, in Mendenhall's case, your ownership family, does have your interests in mind. They don't want a eighteen game season. They care about you personally. They will bring you back here to be honored time and time again if you perform well. But, this is a business in America, you fools! Money is the issue at hand (and frankly it is about the only issue). Realize that and stop trying to compare yourselves to humans who were abused, stripped of their dignity, and FORCED into labor completely AGAINST THEIR WILL.

flippy
03-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Maybe we can send Mendy to the Jets for a 5th round pick....

In all seriousness, while these guys may be emotional right now, there are parallels if you really study the real slavery trade.

Some things you might find interesting if you dig into the history of slavery - many slaves owned their own houses and they were sent to the best schools in europe to become tradesmen, engineers, doctors, artisans, etc.

If you travel to Charleston or Savanah or any other antebellum town, you'll find much of these cities were in fact built by the slaves. Some of the best crafts of the time were created and stand today because of the slaves.

You can learn loads about the history of slavery in Charleston where they had the NASDAQ of slave trading markets. And while many slaves were treated horribly, many were treated great. Less than 3% of people in the south owned slaves. They were the billionaires of their day. And many understood, to get the most out of their investment, they needed to treat their slaves well. Slavery was a business. And the average slave traded for $30K. That was a huge amount of money back then. Just like NFLers get paid huge amounts of money by today's standards.

Many slaves were able to buy their own freedom. But slaves didn't have rights, so many felt it was good to be owned by a benevolent owner who allowed them many personal freedoms.

When you peel back the layers of slavery, it was simply business. And it parallels modern business today. Some owners are good. Some owners are bad. Some employees are good. Others, not so much.

Now calling Smith, Abraham Lincoln may take it a step too far. Clearly Smith isn't trying to emancipate anyone.

But the parallels Peterson and Mendy mention really are there. And it's quite interesting to learn the real history of slavery. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

The thing that really hits me as amazing in all of this is that the average man in the south owned no slaves. Just the mega rich. Yet it was that same average man that fought for the rights of the rich man to own slaves.

I guess it's no different than today. We send babies barely out of high school into war to protect the rich in this country and sell them on the fact that they're protecting everyone's freedom.

In 100 years I wonder how people will look back on us?

steelblood
03-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Maybe we can send Mendy to the Jets for a 5th round pick....

In all seriousness, while these guys may be emotional right now, there are parallels if you really study the real slavery trade.

Some things you might find interesting if you dig into the history of slavery - many slaves owned their own houses and they were sent to the best schools in europe to become tradesmen, engineers, doctors, artisans, etc.

If you travel to Charleston or Savanah or any other antebellum town, you'll find much of these cities were in fact built by the slaves. Some of the best crafts of the time were created and stand today because of the slaves.

You can learn loads about the history of slavery in Charleston where they had the NASDAQ of slave trading markets. And while many slaves were treated horribly, many were treated great. Less than 3% of people in the south owned slaves. They were the billionaires of their day. And many understood, to get the most out of their investment, they needed to treat their slaves well. Slavery was a business. And the average slave traded for $30K. That was a huge amount of money back then. Just like NFLers get paid huge amounts of money by today's standards.

Many slaves were able to buy their own freedom. But slaves didn't have rights, so many felt it was good to be owned by a benevolent owner who allowed them many personal freedoms.

When you peel back the layers of slavery, it was simply business. And it parallels modern business today. Some owners are good. Some owners are bad. Some employees are good. Others, not so much.

Now calling Smith, Abraham Lincoln may take it a step too far. Clearly Smith isn't trying to emancipate anyone.

But the parallels Peterson and Mendy mention really are there. And it's quite interesting to learn the real history of slavery. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

The thing that really hits me as amazing in all of this is that the average man in the south owned no slaves. Just the mega rich. Yet it was that same average man that fought for the rights of the rich man to own slaves.

I guess it's no different than today. We send babies barely out of high school into war to protect the rich in this country and sell them on the fact that they're protecting everyone's freedom.

In 100 years I wonder how people will look back on us?

I could also parallel either Hitler or Ghandi to the Rooneys if I wanted to spin the situation. It is all rhetoric. This is about money, not humanity.

proudpittsburgher
03-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Maybe so, but I am sure . . . if you dig real deep . . . you can find a parallel with the holocost, Hiroshima, etc. It just takes a little common sense to NOT bring attention to those parallels given the situation (financial, mostly) most of these players find themselves in.

Look up the word parallel," he wrote. "I could break down how but that would take an amount of ideology and big words that a lot of you wouldn't understand."
Way to endear yourself to the people who you want to have your back, idiot. :roll:

flippy
03-17-2011, 08:16 AM
The point is, it's always about the money and the power. Slavery, Hitler, the American Revolution, the NFL, whatever.

But people try to make it about something other than money and power.

But we turn history and wars into causes like humanity and freedom to enlist the common man to protect the money and the power of the rich.

Then and now.

I do agree, Mendy is not endearing himself to anyone with his comments.

Notleadpoisoned
03-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Sadly, we now live in a victim-driven society where just about everyone, regardless of class, race, etc. thinks that they're getting screwed over by the man. Our culture sucks.

flippy
03-17-2011, 08:31 AM
I just read some facts about St Patrick and learned he was the first person to speak out against slavery - 14 centuries before the Catholic church decided it was wrong.

I guess the pope needs a disclaimer - I speak for God, subject to change. :)

Sorry for going way off topic, but reading this about Mendy/slavery and seeing slavery come up in a list of facts about St Patrick seemed so odd, I had to share.

The Sodfather
03-17-2011, 08:38 AM
I had no idea Mendenhall was an Irish name.

feltdizz
03-17-2011, 08:47 AM
I think a lot of athletes read the book "Million Dollar Slaves"

I understand what they are trying to say but the millions of dollars make it hard for the average man to see the analogy.

I know it's hard to swallow because people hear the word slavery and automatically think of whips, chains, boats and hardship.

However when you look at the combine and the weigh in these guys are doing the same things they did at slave auctions. They are bought by "owners" if they have the weight, strength and pedigree the team covets. If injured they are replaced, if rowdy they are cut or traded... etc.

I know they make a ton of money so it's not slavery... it's an analogy.

feltdizz
03-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Sadly, we now live in a victim-driven society where just about everyone, regardless of class, race, etc. thinks that they're getting screwed over by the man. Our culture sucks.

That's true... but the owners are also crying victim in this battle and want another BILLION of the top.

birtikidis
03-17-2011, 09:01 AM
I wish I were a modern day slave :(

steelblood
03-17-2011, 09:30 AM

I understand what they are trying to say but the millions of dollars make it hard for the average man to see the analogy.

I know it's hard to swallow because people hear the word slavery and automatically think of whips, chains, boats and hardship.

However when you look at the combine and the weigh in these guys are doing the same things they did at slave auctions. They are bought by "owners" if they have the weight, strength and pedigree the team covets. If injured they are replaced, if rowdy they are cut or traded... etc.

And nightclubs stamp your hands and usher you into a dark, overcrowded room. You COULD make a concentration camp analogy. But, that would be stupid. The slavery analogy is weak and unfounded. If you want to consider yourself a victim, you can always find an angle.

eniparadoxgma
03-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Slaves were never allowed free speech (twitter), the right to assembly (union), and the ability to take their "owners" to court for better working conditions. As Americans, we are spoiled by our liberties and freedoms. So spoiled, that many of us chose to claim that we are victims even when we are not because it is easier (and more financially rewarding) to blame someone else and paint them as a bad guy than it is to honestly and plainly deal with the reality of the situation. The truth here is that this is ALL about MONEY.

End the "slavery" rhetoric. Your "owners" have taken advantage of you on some level. But, you have never been subjugated and made submissive by them. And, in Mendenhall's case, your ownership family, does have your interests in mind. They don't want a sixteen game season. They care about you personally. They will bring you back here to be honored time and time again if you perform well. But, this is a business in America, you fools! Money is the issue at hand (and frankly it is about the only issue). Realize that and stop trying to compare yourselves to humans who were abused, stripped of their dignity, and FORCED into labor completely AGAINST THEIR WILL.

Great post! :Cheers

proudpittsburgher
03-17-2011, 09:38 AM

I certainly have the ability to see what he was doing. I also have the ability to know that when 90 percent of the people read what he and AP said, they say :wft are you serious??? AP got this ball rolling, and you could argue that he said what he said without thinking of the consequences. RM had the luxury of hindsight being 20/20, and chose to support the bad analogy, then put people down who raise the point that it was a crappy analogy. Rashard, that's a you problem. An you didn't have to use a lot of BIG WORDS to show it.

birtikidis
03-17-2011, 09:39 AM

sorry in my view, the combine is nothing more than a resume (where most jobs ask for knowledge, they ask for measurables) with gametape being their work experience.

Oviedo
03-17-2011, 09:43 AM
How can I be a "slave."

Totally ridiculous. You freely choose to go into a profession where the terms of employment are well established. You make better money than 90% of all Americans. But you consider yourself a slave. Stupid people.

If any player doesn't like being a "slave" he can quit the NFL (something slaves can't do) and get a job with the FREE education he got in college (something else slaves don't get).

birtikidis
03-17-2011, 09:49 AM
How can I be a "slave."

Totally ridiculous. You freely choose to go into a profession where the terms of employment are well established. You make better money than 90% of all Americans. But you consider yourself a slave. Stupid people.

If any player doesn't like being a "slave" he can quit the NFL (something slaves can't do) and get a job with the FREE education he got in college (something else slaves don't get).
Dude, I'd be an old school slave, whips and chains and everything, If they were giving me that kind of cash. Hell, at least I'd know my family would never struggle for anything ( we are thrifty :) )

Oviedo
03-17-2011, 09:51 AM
How can I be a "slave."

Dude, I'd be an old school slave, whips and chains and everything, If they were giving me that kind of cash. Hell, at least I'd know my family would never struggle for anything ( we are thrifty :) )

I'd be there with you. Can't be worse than Army Ranger school and been there and done that.

birtikidis
03-17-2011, 09:53 AM
How can I be a "slave."

I'd be there with you. Can't be worse than Army Ranger school and been there and done that.
Just to clarify for the board.. we would not be using whips and chains on each other.

Oviedo
03-17-2011, 09:57 AM
How can I be a "slave."

Just to clarify for the board.. we would not be using whips and chains on each other.

Leather??????????????????????????? :wink:

Chadman
03-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Great...now Chadman has the image of Ovi & birtikidis dressed up in leather, chained up....geez.....

Back on Mendy & Peterson...and Ryan Clark for that matter-

Their managers are supposed to advise them on the best career choices, right? Supposed to offer counsel when required...direct them in the direction that suits the player best...

Where the Hell are the managers right now? Because no matter which way you slice it- recent comments have only made these guys appear...ungrateful...pig headed...not in touch with reality...stupid...

Hardly career enhancing stuff from these guys.

flippy
03-17-2011, 10:03 AM
These guys seem like they're using Gilbert Godfried as their PR man.

flippy
03-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Anyone with $1M or $1B or more is enslaved to something. We are much better off being broke. Being broke seems like it sucks sometimes, but its truly liberating.

At the end of the day, what do we really need? some clean drinking water, a little food, a little healthcare, and a little comfort. everything else we need is free.

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Anyone with $1M or $1B or more is enslaved to something. We are much better off being broke. Being broke seems like it sucks sometimes, but its truly liberating.

So. I guess what you are saying is that "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." :wink:

sentinel33
03-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Nice one, Rashard. One should never draw "parallels" between sports and historical tragedies. It never looks good. Never has and never will. Makes you look weak and pathetic. Like you really are perpetratin a poor me,whoe is me attitude. Completely ridiculous. This whole time I thought Mendenhall was one of those quiet, wise, sage-like players. duped again.

And I hate Twitter.

And I can't stand people who don't use the filter between their brains and their mouths.

Can't tell you how many times I've been ready to hit the SUBMIT button and then re-read what I wrote and hit cancel. Not much real thinking done in the world today and it shows.

Just more unaccountability and irresponsability and more "victims".

Tasteless. This whole thing is tasteless. Top to bottom.

frankthetank1
03-17-2011, 10:18 AM

its an analogy but a very very poor one at that. making comments like this just isnt right. same thing when kellen winslow made the soldier comments that football is war. it makes light of tragic things that shouldnt be made an analogy of

flippy
03-17-2011, 10:26 AM

So. I guess what you are saying is that "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." :wink:

Exactly. The whole world is upside down, so we should do handstands when we want to see clearly.

I better take my meds this morning :)

birtikidis
03-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Great...now Chadman has the image of Ovi & birtikidis dressed up in leather, chained up....geez.....

Back on Mendy & Peterson...and Ryan Clark for that matter-

Their managers are supposed to advise them on the best career choices, right? Supposed to offer counsel when required...direct them in the direction that suits the player best...

Where the Hell are the managers right now? Because no matter which way you slice it- recent comments have only made these guys appear...ungrateful...pig headed...not in touch with reality...stupid...

Hardly career enhancing stuff from these guys.
you damn aussies.
Well to answer the question about the managers.. what do they care? they get paid up front. The only ones that are ticked off are those who have free agents right now.

proudpittsburgher
03-17-2011, 10:51 AM

At the end of the day, what do we really need? some clean drinking water, a little food, a little healthcare, and a little comfort. everything else we need is free.

Actually agree with you, Flippy. My middle class life is really under my control right now, and that is indeed liberating. Of course, I could lose my job which would hurt, but right now I control things.

feltdizz
03-17-2011, 11:52 AM
How can I be a "slave."

one pop from the whip would change your mind. No amount of money could make a person be an old school slave.

I remember a comedian saying people nowadays act like they could never be a slave back then.

Comedian: I'm not picking cotton!

Slave master pops the whip... crack!

Comedian: All I'm saying is I'm not picking all this cotton by myself :wink:

feltdizz
03-17-2011, 11:53 AM
we also have to remember this is the first real job most NFL players have ever had.

ikestops85
03-17-2011, 12:11 PM
we also have to remember this is the first real job most NFL players have ever had.

and it's not even a 'real' job. It's something they have been doing for free up until this point. They rarely, if ever, work 40 hours a week. They have people that take care of all their logistical needs. Nope, I don't think they have a 'real' job yet.

feltdizz
03-17-2011, 12:15 PM

and it's not even a 'real' job. It's something they have been doing for free up until this point. They rarely, if ever, work 40 hours a week. They have people that take care of all their logistical needs. Nope, I don't think they have a 'real' job yet.

I watched Tebow's special and the amount of time these guys put in is way more than 40 hours a week.

I know it's a game to everyone else but it's a profession and only a chosen few have secure positions.

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2011, 03:59 PM
from Gerry Dulac's blog:

Well, I see running back Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings said the NFL’s labor situation is the closest thing to modern-day slavery, which is about all you need to know about Adrian Peterson.

Poor guy, probably making about $8 million a year with the opportunity to make more when the league that employs him as a "slave" allows him to become a free agent.

Of course, if Peterson doesn’t like the way he is being treated by the league, he can always go use his college education and find other employment.

Oh yeah…..did he finish college?

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... been-worse (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108700-gerry-troys-injury-could-have-been-worse)

feltdizz
03-17-2011, 04:09 PM
from Gerry Dulac's blog:

Well, I see running back Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings said the NFL’s labor situation is the closest thing to modern-day slavery, which is about all you need to know about Adrian Peterson.

Poor guy, probably making about $8 million a year with the opportunity to make more when the league that employs him as a "slave" allows him to become a free agent.

Of course, if Peterson doesn’t like the way he is being treated by the league, he can always go use his college education and find other employment.

Oh yeah…..did he finish college?

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... been-worse (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108700-gerry-troys-injury-could-have-been-worse)

people go to college with dreams of becoming rich and successful. Why the hell would he stay in college for 4 years with all that money.

He can always go back to school too.

I know what Dulac is trying to say but he sounds just as dumb as Peterson.

Shawn
03-17-2011, 05:58 PM

Each employer will use some sort of measure to gauge an applicants ability to do a job. It could be a licensing test...testing knowledge and intelligence, or an interview to gauge communication skills.

While I kinda get the analogy, no guy who works a 9-5 for 40k/yr is going to sympathize. Considering the NFL is indeed a physical job in need of top athletes, measuring those abilities falls well within reasonable treatment and testing. Statements like these will hurt the players more than help. I'm sure most of the members here would allow them to test or measure whatever they wish for a remote chance to play a game they love for free let alone for millions.

So, I think it would behoove Mendenhall to think before he speaks. Biting the hand that feeds you isn't always wise. If he likes his job, his millions of dollars then maybe he should show some gratitude rather than comparing the autrocities of slavery to the NFL combines.

Chadman
03-17-2011, 06:08 PM
The one big downfall to Peterson & Mendenhall's comments, the one word that will eternally make them wrong, the one word that they simpl cannot argue & makes their 'slavery' comment both laughable & disgusting is this..

you ready?....

CHOICE.

These guys don't have to go to the Combine. They don't have to sign contracts. They don't have to take up their college scholarships & in turn play football well enough to get drafted into the NFL.

They CHOOSE to.

Now, go ask the slaves of yesteryear how much CHOICE they were given.

It's a boneheaded, stupid, moronic analogy & ONLY shows these two men to be uninformed, selfish & glorified moaners.

Both of these guys have earned a lowered opinion in Chadman's eyes.

Mark Ingram anyone?

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Choice? So are you saying that Tashard Choice is the only NFL player who isn't a slave? :wink:

feltdizz
03-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Each employer will use some sort of measure to gauge an applicants ability to do a job. It could be a licensing test...testing knowledge and intelligence, or an interview to gauge communication skills.

While I kinda get the analogy, no guy who works a 9-5 for 40k/yr is going to sympathize. Considering the NFL is indeed a physical job in need of top athletes, measuring those abilities falls well within reasonable treatment and testing. Statements like these will hurt the players more than help. I'm sure most of the members here would allow them to test or measure whatever they wish for a remote chance to play a game they love for free let alone for millions.

So, I think it would behoove Mendenhall to think before he speaks. Biting the hand that feeds you isn't always wise. If he likes his job, his millions of dollars then maybe he should show some gratitude rather than comparing the autrocities of slavery to the NFL combines.

All true... but most 40 hr jobs don't "own you and trade you from company to company"

These types of statements won't hurt these players. If Ben , Kobe and Vick can bounce back from off the field problems best believe a football player can survive a statement like this.

One problem I have is the idea that football players should be happy and never complain because they make good money. Tons of players show gratitude by giving back to the community, going to hospitals, etc. The notion that players can't have a negative attitude towards their employer is laughable.

At the end of the day these are football players and 85% of the quotes they give when frustrated aren't anything to get emotional over.

feltdizz
03-17-2011, 07:11 PM
The one big downfall to Peterson & Mendenhall's comments, the one word that will eternally make them wrong, the one word that they simpl cannot argue & makes their 'slavery' comment both laughable & disgusting is this..

you ready?....

CHOICE.

These guys don't have to go to the Combine. They don't have to sign contracts. They don't have to take up their college scholarships & in turn play football well enough to get drafted into the NFL.

They CHOOSE to.

It's a boneheaded, stupid, moronic analogy & ONLY shows these two men to be uninformed, selfish & glorified moaners.

Mark Ingram anyone?

The only serious opinion I have for these guys is when they are running the football.

Do you really think a new RB is going to come in, say all the right things and side with the owners?

Shawn
03-17-2011, 07:17 PM

you ready?....

CHOICE.

They CHOOSE to.

Mark Ingram anyone?

I think Mendenhall would argue, he isn't saying playing in the NFL is slavery. He is saying that the way the owners go about evaluating talent is culturally insensitive. In light of black people and slavery, the owners should be more sensitive about some parallels between the measurements of black men in the NFL and those with the slave trade.

Only reason I bring it up is because I think it's relevant that we debate what Mendenhall was trying to say rather than the way it came out. And while I get the analogy, I do not agree based on my post above yours. And, one must ask why make the comment in the first place. Is his comments going to change the NFL combine? Did he really feel abused when going through the combine? If so, why didn't he say something then, or bail out of the process? See, the problem here is the fact that he feels strongly enough to say something about it, only during a labor dispute, and after he has gotten his paycheck and participated in the optional combine. Any man feeling this strongly about the combine can bail out of the combine. While it might cost him some money, at least his conscience would be clear. But, instead he chose to participate in something he deems derrogatory to his race...and he did so for extra cash. That in of itself negates the effectiveness of his comments. Not to mention the fact, that he forgot many people who make average wages at jobs they hate, enslaved to debt might take his comments as a slap in the face.

It was poor judgment on Mendenhall's part IMO. Doesn't make me dislike the guy. I realize he just doesn't get the big picture.

Chadman
03-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Choice? So are you saying that Tashard Choice is the only NFL player who isn't a slave? :wink:

Yes!!

We should trade Mendy for Tashard Choice...once there's an agreement & player for player trades are allowed again..

Chadman
03-17-2011, 07:36 PM
It was poor judgment on Mendenhall's part IMO. Doesn't make me dislike the guy. I realize he just doesn't get the big picture.

As a player, he's fine.

But Chadman finds the whole angle that the players are using rather disrespectful to the guys that make them millionaires.

The Fans.

feltdizz
03-17-2011, 09:26 PM

you ready?....

CHOICE.

They CHOOSE to.

Mark Ingram anyone?

I think Mendenhall would argue, he isn't saying playing in the NFL is slavery. He is saying that the way the owners go about evaluating talent is culturally insensitive. In light of black people and slavery, the owners should be more sensitive about some parallels between the measurements of black men in the NFL and those with the slave trade.

Only reason I bring it up is because I think it's relevant that we debate what Mendenhall was trying to say rather than the way it came out. And while I get the analogy, I do not agree based on my post above yours. And, one must ask why make the comment in the first place. Is his comments going to change the NFL combine? Did he really feel abused when going through the combine? If so, why didn't he say something then, or bail out of the process? See, the problem here is the fact that he feels strongly enough to say something about it, only during a labor dispute, and after he has gotten his paycheck and participated in the optional combine. Any man feeling this strongly about the combine can bail out of the combine. While it might cost him some money, at least his conscience would be clear. But, instead he chose to participate in something he deems derrogatory to his race...and he did so for extra cash. That in of itself negates the effectiveness of his comments. Not to mention the fact, that he forgot many people who make average wages at jobs they hate, enslaved to debt might take his comments as a slap in the face.

The slavery comparison isn't racial IMO. The white players go through it too and Alan Faneca is a prime example of how players feel about management when they feel slighted.

I'm sure Faneca and guys like Shockey feel the same way but won't use the slavery term for racial reasons.

Players are owned by the FO... No one should be shocked by their opinions.

Shawn
03-17-2011, 11:14 PM

As a player, he's fine.

But Chadman finds the whole angle that the players are using rather disrespectful to the guys that make them millionaires.

The Fans.

Agreed.

Shawn
03-17-2011, 11:23 PM

you ready?....

CHOICE.

They CHOOSE to.

Mark Ingram anyone?

The slavery comparison isn't racial IMO. The white players go through it too and Alan Faneca is a prime example of how players feel about management when they feel slighted.

I'm sure Faneca and guys like Shockey feel the same way but won't use the slavery term for racial reasons.

Players are owned by the FO... No one should be shocked by their opinions.

I could see that. The thing is this...it's not just an NFL thing. It's a life thing. Very few of us get to experience true freedom. I have responsibilities per contract. I can be sued for not heeding the contract. I think many people feel "owned" or trapped in jobs they do not want. I love what I do but there are times I would like to do less of it. But, unfortunately not only does the company I work for have rights to my time, but the banks do to.

Off subject a bit, but it's why I do not want to go into debt for any more material nonsense. And it is indeed nonsense...pride and little else. As long as your family is healthy, happy and provided for what more can you ask? For me? More time with my family and freedom from those who currently own my time.

hawaiiansteel
03-18-2011, 03:28 AM
from Dale Lolley's blog:

THURSDAY, MARCH 17, 2011

Slaves? Hardly

Earlier this week, Adrian Peterson likened NFL players to slaves. Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall then backed Peterson's comment later this week.

That is hardly the case and is demeaning to the people who actually were slaves.

Slaves were forced to work in their job with no say in what they were doing or how they were doing it. They also received no monetary compensation.

NFL players choose to work in the NFL. There's nothing written anywhere that says college football players MUST play in the NFL.

But they do so because they either enjoy playing the game or enjoy the compensation that comes with being an NFL player.

Yes, they cannot readily change jobs. But that is because they sign a contract to work for a certain team.

Do they have to join the team that drafts them? Nope.

There have been instances where a player has forced a trade rather than play for a team prior to ever playing a down for that club - John Elway being the most famous.

And players hold out in an effort to force their trade or release all the time.

But they are compensated well.

Is it a perfect system? Nope.

But to say that NFL players are slaves borders on the ridiculous.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2011, 09:13 AM
But to say that NFL players are slaves borders on the ridiculous.

It's not bordering on the ridiculous. It's the definition of ridiculous.

PSU_dropout43
03-18-2011, 11:14 AM
We wouldn't have this problem if Republican President Abe Lincoln didn't screw up slavery.
:lol:

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Mendenhall's remarks don't bother Tomlin

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 23, 2011

NEW ORLEANS — Steelers coach Mike Tomlin defended running back Rashard Mendenhall in more ways than one Monday.

Tomlin said he is not concerned that Mendenhall has fumbling issues after the latter lost two during the postseason, including a costly one in Super Bowl XLV. Tomlin also shrugged off Mendenhall supporting Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, who recently compared the NFL to modern-day slavery.

Mendenhall wrote on his Twitter account last week that Peterson had made some good points.

"It didn't surprise me," Tomlin said of the Mendenhall tweets. "Rashard is a deep, philosophical guy. I think all he confirmed were parallels. That's opinion-oriented, and I don't care about those things."

Tomlin said he is not worried about Mendenhall's fumble at the beginning of the fourth quarter in the Super Bowl. He said Mendenhall only lost three fumbles last season — four, actually — despite almost 400 carries, with postseason games included.

Mendenhall rushed 324 times for 1,273 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2010. That was the fifth-most carries by a Steelers running back during the regular season, and Tomlin didn't give any indication that he is considering lessening Mendenhall's workload.

"He's got some unique talents, and we're going to try to build our run game around those talents," Tomlin said of a player who doesn't turn 24 until June. "We're pleased with where he is, but we think he's still a guy in development."

SEPULVEDA ON THE MEND

While coaches are not allowed to contact players during the lockout, Tomlin said punter Daniel Sepulveda, who missed the final seven games of the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, appears to be on track for a full recovery.

"Based on the information we have right now, (the Steelers are) real comfortable with his progress," Tomlin said.

Tomlin said Sepulveda, who has torn the ACL in his right knee two times since joining the Steelers, and Jeremy Kapinos, his replacement last December, are options at punter next season.

The Steelers, Tomlin said, have not ruled out drafting a punter next month.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1HSlYtPHx (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_728667.html#ixzz1HSlYtPHx)