PDA

View Full Version : Boycott the NFL

birtikidis
03-16-2011, 07:58 PM
All this crap over money. The rules changes. The uneven discipline. I will not be putting ANY money toward the sport next year. I will be watching all my games at a Steeler bar and rather than support the greedy NFL, I'll support my local businesses.

jj28west
03-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Its arguably the greatest entertainment product out there IMO but what are we now going to have 5 minute long TV timeouts to squeeze more of the quality/integrity of the game?

hawaiiansteel
03-16-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm gonna find myself another hard-hitting full contact sport to watch instead...

http://www.clevescene.com/images/blogimages/2010/10/21/1287684652-lingerie-football.jpg

birtikidis
03-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Its arguably the greatest entertainment product out there IMO but what are we now going to have 5 minute long TV timeouts to squeeze more of the quality/integrity of the game?
exactly, I'd rather find a dive bar that shows the game and drink some beers and eat some grub with my fellow football fans than pay for some package just so the NFL can squeeze every cent out of us.

hawaiiansteel
03-20-2011, 10:38 PM
An #NHL Fans' Reaction to the #NFL Lockout

Sunday, 20 March 2011 11:29 | Written by Justin Murphy

How should I react to an NFL lockout? Of course I am a NFL fan, but I am more of an NHL fan. Does this make a difference? Maybe. Think about it. The salaries in football are getting ridiculous considering they only play 16 games a season that matters in the standings. There are players that are making over $2 million or so a game. Is any one person that good at their trade? Do they deserve that much? I don't think so, but they are providing our entertainment and it does cost a lot to keep a team running, but should it cost us that much per game? The reason it has ballooned to these level is because of us. We payed the prices, we paved the way. Will I continue to support the Steelers? Of course. Why? Because they are one of the few honorable franchises left in the league. What will it do for hockey? Hopefully a ton.

I love hockey, but I don't believe the sport gets enough respect in terms of overall toughness. I consider one NHL game equivalent to one NFL game. The difference is that the players in the NHL have to be in much better shape, and this is a constant thing. The NFL season has 17 weeks and 16 games. The NHL covers about 8 months and 82 games. that is over 4x as many games. The Penguins played 13 games in 28 days in February. The Steelers played 4 in December. In my opinion, that says a lot. There is constant hitting in the NHL, there is the constant cold, there is the minute to a minute and a half shifts totaling 20+ minutes in a game. NFL players may get a total of 30 minutes out of a 60 minute game, but they get a short break in between plays. The NHL players may only get 3-4 minutes in between shifts. I consider the NFL game and the NHL game on equal ground.

In terms of money, the NFL has exploded in terms of money made. Take the rookie contract aspect. The rookies in the NHL have a set amount that they can make in the first few years, unlike the NFL, where the sky is the limit. I feel the NHL players have to earn their right by playing their due time in the AHL, a lower level professional league, this is something the NFL needs, but doesn't have. They are a league of teams where the NHL draws their players from when a player gets injured, trade, or something of the sort. The NFL banks on the fact that these players will stay healthy. This makes the players try even harder to play injured or causes the other teams' players to try to get an injury, subconsciously, out of their opponent. I don't want to hear that it doesn't happen, because we all know it is out there. This league makes players play smart and safer because they know they can take their time to heal before coming back in the game.

The NFL's big threat is one player hitting another player at full speed or getting stepped on. The NHL has the same hitting issue, just at faster speeds. If an NHL player gets stepped on, there are razor sharp blades on each of their feet. You also have to look at the little, frozen puck they fire at a guy at a rate of 90-100 mph. Think about that.

So, what is my point? Why am I sitting here ranting about how much tougher the NHL is? Because they did have a lockout a few seasons ago. They did fix the salary cap, the rulebook, and redesigned the game. Is it more exciting than before? Without a doubt. Is it faster than before? Without a doubt. Is it more financially acceptable? Without a doubt. So what is the NFL going to do with their lockout? Are they going to redesign the game so it is better for the fans, safer for the players, and cheaper on the pocketbook? I will tell you no. That isn't their goal. They are just trying to figure out how each individual owner, ownership group, and players can make more money out of the extreme budget they already have. Am I ok with this? Absolutely not.

I want to see a better version of the same game. Where the salaries aren't too over the top, there is equality in the league, and it is safe so you know your players will make it through a whole season and also know that they can take their time to heal. I want, as a fan, to see an outcome similar to the NHL. I want excitement, I want speed, I want to know that a single player isn't making more money in a game that my city is in a year. I also want to see the NHL step it up in terms of broadcasting. I want to see the passion of the NFL fans bleed into the passion for the NHL. I want to see the NHL build off of this opportunity to grow in fan base. Yeah, the seasons do not overlap right now, but if the lockout extends to next season, it could be big. The NHL officials have plenty of time to figure things out and draw in people.

This is just a fans' plea for something better. I want ESPN games, I want better exposure, I want everyone to realize that hockey is as great as I think it is. Good luck with that.

http://www.everythingpittsburgh.net/blo ... &Itemid=60 (http://www.everythingpittsburgh.net/blog/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=141:an-nhl-fans-reaction-to-the-nfl-lockout&catid=34:penguins&Itemid=60)

chiken
03-21-2011, 12:52 PM
I have been doing the sports dive thing for years now.. Actually has added to the experience.. even got me a season seat and everything :Steel

grotonsteel
03-21-2011, 01:33 PM
I watch almost all the NFL games on internet unless it is on CBS/ESPN/NBC. Going to Hooters is a far better option than buying NFL Sunday Ticket.

Its Billionaire vs Millionaire. I don't have any sympathy for players and the owners. Screw them and screw BADall.

RuthlessBurgher
03-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Going to Hooters is a far better option than buying NFL Sunday Ticket.

Yeah, but when the Steelers are on, I actually want to watch the game.

:Boobs

ikestops85
03-21-2011, 05:58 PM

What would distract you from watching?

http://www.intentionalfoul.com/images/hootersgirl2.jpg

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/Hooters_narrowweb__300x333,0.jpg

http://callmemr.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/hooters-girls-19.jpg

http://angrywhitedude.com/wp-content/uploads2/2010/11/hooters1.jpg

Oh, I think I understand now. :moon

RuthlessBurgher
03-21-2011, 06:21 PM

What would distract you from watching?

Breasts...

thighs...

legs...

...all my favorite parts of the chicken. :wink: