PDA

View Full Version : BPA Likely To Be Steelers Draft Plan In 1st Round Of Draft

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Best Player Available Likely To Be Steelers Draft Plan In 1st Round Of 2011 Draft

The days of March are clicking off the calender and there are only 44 days now until draft day. The Pro Days are also winding down and the Steelers will soon be entertaining draft prospect visitors down at the South Side later this month and into April. In my recent post about 1st round tackles drafted from 1995-2010 I showed how just because you might need a tackle while drafting late in the first round, it might very well not be the best course of action.

Without a doubt, we can pretty well safely assume the Steelers will at least spend a pick on both on an offensive lineman and a corner somewhere in the upcoming draft, but to lock them into definitely drafting either position in the 1st round is pretty foolish. When you pick late in drafts, you have to let the draft come to you. The Steelers are notorious for neglecting a perceived need by us, the fans, and we have often seen instances where it appears they have taken what they considered the best player on the board as it relates to scheme and overall need.

Let's look at the 2009 draft for example. The Ziggy Hood pick surprised a big majority of Steeler Nation, me included. Now we knew a quarterback, running back and tight end would not likely be their number one pick and you could possibly even throw in the linebacking position as well when you look at the state of the team at that time. Most of Steeler Nation was clamoring for an offensive lineman and cornerback in the first round of that draft. What a surprise. They did however draft two linemen and two corners in that draft.

Was defensive end a need in that draft? Somewhat, sure. The Steelers certainly needed some depth at the position behind Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. When you look back at that draft board and who was selected, Hood was the 2nd true defensive end off the board after Tyson Jackson was picked 3rd overall by the Chiefs. Now some might argue about Aaron Maybin, Brian Orakpo and Robert Ayers, but these players were all transformed into outside linebacker types by the teams that drafted them. Peria Jerry was projected 3-technique guy as well. Hood by most accounts was primed for being a 5-technique guy and a perfect fit for the Steelers 3-4 defense. Considering the defensive scheme and the somewhat need the Steelers had, Hood was easily the best player available on the board for the Steelers with that pick.

Too often as fans we get caught up looking at what we deem are the biggest needs for the team and instantly try to correlate that with the mock drafts and player rankings. Too many times we overlook the big picture as well of what player fits what scheme. This is done quite a bit with defensive players more than offensive players, but offensive line blocking schemes and types of offenses certainly play a role as well in matching best fits.

Let's go back to just last year. The Steelers probably had a little easier time in narrowing down there first round big board as they were picking 18th overall. Guess who the first center/guard type that was that drafted in 2010? Yep, Maurkice Pouncey. Now the Steelers had likely envisioned him as a guard first with the idea of eventually moving him to center. We all know how that ended up. They got a guy who could play both positions and play them well. Can you say best player off the board that also met a need? Jackpot. Would the Steelers had the success they had in 2010 with Justin Hartwig playing center? Probably not and you probably agree.

As I eluded to in my underclassman cornerbacks post, that is a mighty risky thing to do based off history. I'll admit that Brandon Harris sure looks impressive in not only his combine work, but also his play on the field with Miami. He might even climb further up the draft board come April. If you look at the top 5 tackles and cornerbacks this year with perceived first round grades, the top 3 if not 4 might very well be off the board by the time the Steelers pick if they do not trade up. Would the Steelers draft the 5th best tackle or 5th best cornerback on the board if that were the case? Are the Steelers tackle and cornerback positions such a dire need that you just take the best of the rest in round 1? I think the answer is no. It is also highly unlikely that a first round tackle or corner could come in and contribute instantly even if that were the case. Especially the corner position in a D!ck LeBeau defense.

Now just because best player available is the talk here does not mean that the Steelers should draft running back Mikel LeShoure, who could still be on the board when the Steelers pick. He also is considered the 2nd rated running back in this years draft. It also does not mean that they should draft Jake Locker should he fall. There is a place where BPA (best player available) meets a team need, especially when a first round pick is concerned. I expect the Steelers to once again to use that strategy unless they trade up. No reason to think otherwise.

So what position would BPA meet some need with the Steelers at 31? Guard perhaps? Although old for a rookie, Danny Watkins could likely be had there at 31. By many accounts he is the 2nd best interior lineman in the draft. He could likely even contribute in his rookie season at right guard at some point. What about linebacker Martez Wilson? His skill set is pretty amazing and he could cut his teeth on special teams early on. There is a chance he could be on the board at 31 as well. Those are just two off the cuff examples.

As you move forward now with your draft expectations, I think you will see that the Steelers certainly could disappoint those that have tackle and corner as an automatic position the Steelers will draft in the 1st round. Put your Kevin Colbert hat on for a few days and measure the other team needs against best player available method along with the skill set of the players in relation to the Steelers offensive and defensive schemes. You will likely see the bigger picture and method of the Steelers draft madness as it relates to the best player available and overall team need.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/be ... 011-draft/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/best-player-available-likely-to-be-steelers-draft-plan-in-1st-round-of-2011-draft/)

Oviedo
03-15-2011, 06:23 PM
BPA could be a TE. Not sure we would take him but by the time we get to #31 there is a high probability we are looking at Kyle Rudolph or Rahim Moore.

Then again I guess it depends on the definition of BPA. Highest ranked at a position or best athlete regardless of position.

flippy
03-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Young, athletic, raw talent from a big program. I feel Tomlin/Colbert will be bold with their pick and swing for the fences to make the team better in round 1.

I have a feeling there's gonna be plenty of WTFs?

calmkiller
03-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Get outta here with your Non Pouncey talk. Your being rational and I DON'T LIKE IT.

Dee Dub
03-15-2011, 08:22 PM
BPA could be a TE. Not sure we would take him but by the time we get to #31 there is a high probability we are looking at Kyle Rudolph or Rahim Moore.

Then again I guess it depends on the definition of BPA. Highest ranked at a position or best athlete regardless of position.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh….yeah….that’s what I’m talkin’ about. That has been my whole reasoning behind the drafting of Rahim Moore. Fills a need and will probably be BPA at 31. :Cheers

Dee Dub
03-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Also I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Phil Taylor...who I see playing not at NT but as a 5-technique ala Hiloti Ngata.

Taylor--Hampton--Hood

papillon
03-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Also I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Phil Taylor...who I see playing not at NT but as a 5-technique ala Hiloti Ngata.

Taylor--Hampton--Hood

A rookie isn't replacing Keisel in the starting lineup this year or next year, but it would be nice to have his replacement and someone to take a series or two during each game for the next couple years.

Just my opinion, Keisel may have had his best year as a pro this past year.

Pappy

Chadman
03-15-2011, 10:35 PM
As talented as Taylor is, his charcter might be enough to hold him out of consideration in the 1st.

Corey Luiget however...

Oviedo
03-16-2011, 08:40 AM

Taylor--Hampton--Hood

A rookie isn't replacing Keisel in the starting lineup this year or next year, but it would be nice to have his replacement and someone to take a series or two during each game for the next couple years.

Pappy

The lack of appreciation for Kiesel continues. He is one of the best 3-4 DEs in the NFL. He gets better pressure on the QB than A. Smith.

Pappy is right...Kiesel will be in the starting line up for the next couple of years.

grotonsteel
03-16-2011, 10:34 AM

Taylor--Hampton--Hood

Pappy

The lack of appreciation for Kiesel continues. He is one of the best 3-4 DEs in the NFL. He gets better pressure on the QB than A. Smith.

Pappy is right...Kiesel will be in the starting line up for the next couple of years.

I thought Kiesel the Diesel was the Steelers best D-lineman last season.

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 11:22 AM

Taylor--Hampton--Hood

Pappy

No disrespect to Keisel but see it for what it really is. He only played in 11 games last year. Had 33 tackles and 3 sacks. As much as we appreciate him…to be honest that is pedestrian at best. Me personally…I sure would want better if there is a chance to get better. But that’s just me.

papillon
03-16-2011, 12:23 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":3377avic]Also I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Phil Taylor...who I see playing not at NT but as a 5-technique ala Hiloti Ngata.

Taylor--Hampton--Hood

Pappy

No disrespect to Keisel but see it for what it really is. He only played in 11 games last year. Had 33 tackles and 3 sacks. As much as we appreciate him…to be honest that is pedestrian at best. Me personally…I sure would want better if there is a chance to get better. But that’s just me.[/quote:3377avic]

Phil Taylor isn't better and won't be for a couple of years. If they drafted him, he would have the luxury of learning behind two of the best 3-4 DEs in the history of the game. When his turn comes, he may be better and he may not, but he isn't better right out of the gate. Dick Lebeau will not start a rookie when he has veterans still performing at a high level.

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
03-16-2011, 03:21 PM
keisel made the pro bowl

gay, mcfadden, clark did not

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 03:28 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":3p6uwyh7]Also I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Phil Taylor...who I see playing not at NT but as a 5-technique ala Hiloti Ngata.

Taylor--Hampton--Hood

Pappy

No disrespect to Keisel but see it for what it really is. He only played in 11 games last year. Had 33 tackles and 3 sacks. As much as we appreciate him…to be honest that is pedestrian at best. Me personally…I sure would want better if there is a chance to get better. But that’s just me.

Phil Taylor isn't better and won't be for a couple of years. If they drafted him, he would have the luxury of learning behind two of the best 3-4 DEs in the history of the game. When his turn comes, he may be better and he may not, but he isn't better right out of the gate. bad word Lebeau will not start a rookie when he has veterans still performing at a high level.

Pappy[/quote:3p6uwyh7]

You dont know that Pap. Taylor could be really special. And since Tomlin took over things have been slowly changing with the Steelers. Tomlin wants to win and if it means playing a rookie on defense he will do it.

Personally at 33 next year and having had a history of injuries...I doubt very seriously if Keisel will hold up for a whole season again.

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 03:30 PM
keisel made the pro bowl

Give me a break. He was like a 3rd alternate that got the nod because of others who couldn’t go. And at 33 tackles and 3 sacks in all of 11 games played it wasn’t because of his play. It was because of the overall success of the Steelers. Keisel is not a pro bowler by first choice...only by default.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2011, 03:42 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":2ok1g9qx]keisel made the pro bowl

Give me a break. He was like a 3rd alternate that got the nod because of others who couldn’t go. And at 33 tackles and 3 sacks in all of 11 games played it wasn’t because of his play. It was because of the overall success of the Steelers. Keisel is not a pro bowler by first choice...only by default.[/quote:2ok1g9qx]

But guys like Gay, McFadden, and Clark wouldn't make the Pro Bowl even if it got down to the 20-something alternate.

NJ-STEELER
03-16-2011, 05:08 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":12sm2p3s]keisel made the pro bowl

Give me a break. He was like a 3rd alternate that got the nod because of others who couldn’t go. And at 33 tackles and 3 sacks in all of 11 games played it wasn’t because of his play. It was because of the overall success of the Steelers. Keisel is not a pro bowler by first choice...only by default.

But guys like Gay, McFadden, and Clark wouldn't make the Pro Bowl even if it got down to the 20-something alternate.[/quote:12sm2p3s]

bingo

i dont think keisel is great by any stretch, but he certainly holds his own.

the others i mention...not so much

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 05:11 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":27fyclqq]keisel made the pro bowl

But guys like Gay, McFadden, and Clark wouldn't make the Pro Bowl even if it got down to the 20-something alternate.[/quote:27fyclqq]

Ruthless....I never said anything about Gay, McFadden, or Clark. That was NJ-Steeler. Not me. But I agree with you.

NJ-STEELER
03-16-2011, 05:20 PM
so you would draft a guy #1 who would sit behind

kiesel (above average player)
hampton (very good player)
hood (up and coming good player)
smith (very good player when healthy)
hoke (good back up)

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 05:30 PM
so you would draft a guy #1 who would sit behind

hoke (good back up)

I would draft the best player on the board who fills a need. And then I would trust my scouting department. If he is rated high enough to draft in the first round I would believe that they see him as good enough to start right away. Then I would let the process happen...see what he does in camp. If he shows he is better than those ahead of him, then I start him.

And just a word of advise…I wouldnt hold your hat on the likes of Keisel and Smith . Those two are aging and they have a history of not playing throughout a whole season. Keisel has missed 12 games in the past 3 years and Smith has missed 26 in the past 4 years.

Chadman
03-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Keisel is a better 3-4 DE than Dee Dub makes him out to be....

BUT....

There is only 1 DL plyer at the Steelers under 30 years of age. History & statistics will show that the older a player gets, the more injury prone they become. So an injection of youth along the DL is going to be vital, very soon.

That said, Phil Taylor's character concerns will LIKELY scratch him from the Steelers 1st round targets.

Wonder what the Steelers think of Stephen Paea...

Chadman thinks Corey Luiget is this years Ziggy Hood.

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Keisel is a better 3-4 DE than Dee Dub makes him out to be....

and how do I make him out to be? Are the injuries and missed games the past 3 years on him not true? Are his numbers not average to pedestrian when he does play?

I like him trust me but I can also see what he really is too. He has been a serviceable player but for me...I want more than that. I want a dominator.

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 06:10 PM
That said, Phil Taylor's character concerns will LIKELY scratch him from the Steelers 1st round targets.

I would hope the Steelers brass wouldn’t hold a fight at a fraternity party in 2008 as more important than what Taylor has done with his life the past 3 years.

Gil Brandt likes him. And he says after his personal pro day he improved his stock.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/03/taylor- ... s-pro-day/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/03/taylor-watkins-improve-stock-at-baylors-pro-day/)

NJ-STEELER
03-16-2011, 06:40 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":3iebio88]so you would draft a guy #1 who would sit behind

hoke (good back up)

I would draft the best player on the board who fills a need. And then I would trust my scouting department. If he is rated high enough to draft in the first round I would believe that they see him as good enough to start right away. Then I would let the process happen...see what he does in camp. If he shows he is better than those ahead of him, then I start him.

And just a word of advise…I wouldnt hold your hat on the likes of Keisel and Smith . Those two are aging and they have a history of not playing throughout a whole season. Keisel has missed 12 games in the past 3 years and Smith has missed 26 in the past 4 years.[/quote:3iebio88]

it depends where you think DL falls in line of need for us.

i'd probably rank it no higher then 5th. so yes, i would think there would be someone rated in the area of 31 that addresses a bigger need.

and Defensive Lineman get hurt. period. dont think it matters much if they're under or over 30

how old were pouncey and mendenhall when they were injured in their rookie years

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 06:44 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":35fwm279][quote="NJ-STEELER":35fwm279]so you would draft a guy #1 who would sit behind

hoke (good back up)

And just a word of advise…I wouldnt hold your hat on the likes of Keisel and Smith . Those two are aging and they have a history of not playing throughout a whole season. Keisel has missed 12 games in the past 3 years and Smith has missed 26 in the past 4 years.[/quote:35fwm279]

it depends where you think DL falls in line of need for us.

i'd probably rank it no higher then 5th. so yes, i would think there would be someone rated in the area of 31 that addresses a bigger need.

and Defensive Lineman get hurt. period. dont think it matters much if they're under or over 30

how old were pouncey and mendenhall when they were injured in their rookie years[/quote:35fwm279]

That’s not what I said. I said the “Best Player” on the board that fits a need. I, like the Pittsburgh Steelers, value their rank and where they rate on the draft board. That is more important to me that what is the biggest need. The Steelers generally go BPA and that seems to work for them. I agree with it.

NJ-STEELER
03-16-2011, 07:19 PM
i disagree. they pick based on need, especially in the 1st round

if they have 2 guys rated near each other and a DL is ranked higher but a lower need, they'll go with the other

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 08:03 PM
i disagree. they pick based on need, especially in the 1st round

Ok that is what you would do but that isnt what the Steelers have been doing.

See:

Evander Hood
Rashard Mendenhall
Lawrence Timmons
Santonio Holmes

None of which was the biggest need at the time of those drafts. Needs? Yes but not their biggest needs.

NJ-STEELER
03-16-2011, 08:49 PM
besides maybe hood, the other 3 were definitely top needs of the team. And if you're arguing that DE is a need this year cause of age and injuries, then it certainly was much more of one a couple of years ago before ziggy got here

1. holmes - coming into a season with hines and wilson as starters...Big need
2. timmons- in an offseason where both starting OLBs were let go... big need
3. Mendy - dont know if there was anyone in the message board world out there that didn't want a bigger back to pair with willie. several years of mocks years before he was drafted suggested a top 3 round RB being drafted to go along with him... not as big as a need as the other picks, but certainly one of the top needs

again, i Have trouble putting DL in the top 4 of needs this year

cb (times 2 maybe)
FS
RG
OT

i think i'd even take a receiver before as well if both a DL and a WR slated to go around #31 were there

there will be a playerout of those 4/5 positions that grade at around the #31 mark who they'll draft before taylor. i would be shocked to see us draft a DE/DL at in the 1st round

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers Mock Draft Round Up

Posted on March 16, 2011 by adam

Leading up to April’s draft we’ll take an occasional look around the web and update you on a list of mock drafts and which players people have going to the Steelers. This is the first such update. We’re searching the Internet so you don’t have to…

Pittsburgh Steelers Mock Draft Round Up

Site Pick School (Pos.)

Mel Kiper Danny Watkins Baylor (Guard)
CBS Derek Sherrod Mississippi State (Tackle)
Sports Illustrated Aaron Williams Texas (Cornerback)
Mocking The Draft Martez Wilson Illinois (Linebacker)
Draft Countdown Mike Pouncey Florida (Guard)
Walter Football Martez Wilson Illinois (Linebacker)
NFL Draftdog Muhammed Wilkerson Temple (Defensive Tackle)
MyNFLDraft Benjamin Ijalana Villanova (Tackle)
DraftKing Brandon Harris Miami (Cornerback)
Football’sFuture Brandon Harris Miami (Cornerback)
Shutdown Corner Aaron Williams Texas (Cornerback)
NewNFLDraft Gabe Carimi Wisconsin (Tackle)

To the surprise of no one cornerbacks and offensive line are the consensus pick, with a defensive tackle and linebacker thrown in. And I don’t hate either of those positions. The Steelers are getting long in the tooth on defense, and as good as James Farrior has been on and off the field for the franchise, he is closer to the end of his playing career than he is the beginning. He rebounded nicely in 2010 from what was a down 2009, but he’s still going to be one of the oldest starting middle linebackers in the NFL in 2011. Wilson seems to be the type of athlete the Steelers like, even if he is a bit older (23) than most of their recent top picks. Still, at least he’s not 26 like Kiper’s guy is. Many players hit free agency at 26. Not the draft.

It’s a similar story on the defensive line in terms of age. With the exception of Ziggy Hood and Steve McClendon, everybody manning that position is north of 30 with some of them having durability concerns moving forward. These aren’t positions of immediate need as far as starters are concerned in 2011, but the only positions the Steelers could probably plug in a rookie starter as of this moment are cornerback (depending on what happens with Ike Taylor and William Gay in free agency) and right guard. Given how late right guards seem to be found in the draft across the league, it doesn’t appear to be a position that is in dire need of a first-round selection, unless you absolutely want the Pouncey brothers to be reunited.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/03/p ... ock-draft/ (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/03/pittsburgh-steelers-mock-draft/)

Dee Dub
03-17-2011, 11:45 AM
besides maybe hood, the other 3 were definitely top needs of the team. And if you're arguing that DE is a need this year cause of age and injuries, then it certainly was much more of one a couple of years ago before ziggy got here

1. holmes - coming into a season with hines and wilson as starters...Big need
2. timmons- in an offseason where both starting OLBs were let go... big need
3. Mendy - dont know if there was anyone in the message board world out there that didn't want a bigger back to pair with willie. several years of mocks years before he was drafted suggested a top 3 round RB being drafted to go along with him... not as big as a need as the other picks, but certainly one of the top needs

I will agree they were needs but no way where they the top needs. Timmons was drafted all along to play inside not outside and adding a complimentary back may be a need but never a high priority need.

Shawn
03-17-2011, 07:39 PM

I think Rudolph will indeed be the BPA at 31. I would not be shocked in the slightest if they took a #1 TE.

steelz09
03-17-2011, 07:55 PM

I think Rudolph will indeed be the BPA at 31. I would not be shocked in the slightest if they took a #1 TE.

If we go TE in the first, I will throw my computer through the TV. To me, TE should be ranked just as low as QB.

Chadman
03-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Chadman will throw out the standard 2011 off-season line...

In the Bruce arian's "No Fullback" offense, the #2 TE is a starter. Are YOU comfortable with Matt Speath starting?

:D

ikestops85
03-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Chadman will throw out the standard 2011 off-season line...

In the Bruce arian's "No Fullback" offense, the #2 TE is a starter. Are YOU comfortable with Matt Speath starting?

:D

Which is my biggest problem with Arian. His offense should fit the personnel ... not the other way around.

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2011, 12:25 PM

If we go TE in the first, I will throw my computer through the TV. To me, TE should be ranked just as low as QB.

Yeah, if they want to take a shot at the former basketball player from Portland St. on day 3, I have no problem with that. But on day 1 and day 2, the focus should be on the secondary and big uglies in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Frankly, I don't care all that much if we go DB-OL-DL, OL-DB-DL, DB-DL-OL, OL-DL-DB, DL-DB-OL, or DL-OL-DB, but I'd like to see our first three picks address those 3 needs in some manner (and I'm not overly picky about whether the DB is a CB or S, the OL is an OG or OT, or the DL is a DE or NT either).

They can draft all the TE's, WR's, RB's, QB's, and LB's that they want on day 3 and I won't argue, but unless some ridiculous bargain falls unexpectedly into our laps, not on day 1 or day 2. I also wouldn't argue if they ignored all of those positions entirely and ended up drafting 2 DB (CB and S), 2 OL (OG and OT) and 2 DL (DE and NT) along with a kicker for our 7 picks.

steelz09
03-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Matt Spaeth has typically filled in ok as a pass catcher. That one he dropped in the end zone is a non issue for me as he wouldn't have had a chance to get his feet down anyway.

Arian's does NOT know how to utlize his weapons on offense. He has no clue on how to utilize Heath Miller in the passing game or any other short passing game for that matter including RB's. Heath Miller could be a beast in the passing game and we don't even use him. It's freakin' pathetic.

Likewise, he does not rotate the RB's nearly enough ESPECIALLY with Redman. Redman is a tough guy and is a good change of pace back. Arian's only uses him in the most obvious scenarios and he's still been successful.

So why would we even consider an early round TE when we don't utilize the weapons we already have. The Steelers have enough weapons on offense... that's not the problem. The offensive coordinator and the offensive line have been the problem.

Shawn
03-18-2011, 01:51 PM

Not saying I would want it, but it just wouldn't shock me.

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2011, 03:44 AM
Steelers needs: AFC champs need to bolster line, secondary

By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
March 20, 2011

Pittsburgh is one of the feel-good stories from 2010, a team that overcame a raft of adversity to graduate to Super Bowl XLV.

The surprise, of course, is that the Steelers didn't close the deal. Ben Roethlisberger hadn't lost a Super Bowl, and the organization was six for seven. But lose they did when Roethlisberger failed to recreate the last-minute magic that makes him one of the league's premier quarterbacks.

Now it's up to the front office to make something happen, and there are few teams I trust as much as Pittsburgh when it comes to the draft. The Steelers seldom miss early and always find a contributor at or near the top of their board.

A year ago it was center Maurkice Pouncey. In 2009 it was Ziggy Hood. The year before, Santonio Holmes. I think you get the idea. These guys know talent, one reason the Steelers are one of the most consistent and successful franchises anywhere. In an era where dynasties aren't supposed to exist, the Pittsburgh Steelers continue to excel ... year after year after year.

One reason is that they have a franchise quarterback who knows how to win. Another is they have the league's best defense, headed by the league's most respected coordinator. But the key is the continuity of an organization that believes in a formula, sticks with it and remains one of the most constant and consistent teams out there while others keep changing.

That doesn't mean the Steelers can't make changes. Like everyone else, the club has needs, some of which were apparent in their Super Bowl XLV loss to Green Bay. The difference, of course, is not everyone will fill them as well as Pittsburgh.

QB -- Roethlisberger isn't just a franchise quarterback. He's a franchise quarterback who's been to three of the last six Super Bowls, winning two of them. Not bad, eh? It gets better. He's only 29 and just completed one of his most efficient seasons anywhere. But Roethlisberger absorbs a lot of hits, so it's always good to have a backup around. Charlie Batch turns 37 this season, so a young guy to groom isn't a bad idea.

RB -- The Steelers let Willie Parker walk because they were confident in Rashard Mendenhall, and he rewarded that faith with a personal-best 1,273 yards and 13 TDs. Coach Mike Tomlin wanted to make the Steelers a running team again, and with Mendenhall's help he did. But there's not much behind Mendenhall, unless you consider Isaac Redman a reliable option. So consider running back an option in the second or third days.

WR -- Hines Ward is 35 and on the decline. His numbers last year were down across the board, with Ward producing fewer catches (59) than at any time since 2000 and his yardage at its second-lowest ebb in the past decade. He's still a dangerous go-to receiver for Roethlisberger, but he's not the Steelers' premier pass catcher. Mike Wallace is. Not only did he lead the club in receptions and receiving TDs, he averaged a whopping 21 yards a catch. More significant, when Roethlisberger had to make a play on fourth down in the closing minutes of the Super Bowl it was Wallace, not Ward, he tried. Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown are up-and-comers, but the Steelers could try another wideout to develop as Ward is winding down.

TE -- Ward and Heath Miller are the team's most reliable receivers, and I'll be honest: I was puzzled Roethlisberger didn't dial either on that failed fourth-down pass that ended the Steelers' Super Bowl run. While Miller's receptions dropped considerably from his 2009 total (72) they were consistent with other seasons. Plus, he was used more as a blocker and missed two games. Anyway, the bottom line is this: He's solid, and he's a weapon. Matt Spaeth is OK as a backup, used primarily to block.

OL -- This was a landmine all season. First, it was right tackle Willie Colon who was injured. Then it was Max Starks, with the Steelers plugging in former Dallas starter Flozell Adams at right tackle and Jonathan Scott at left. Somehow, the Steelers managed to survive, and don't ask me how. Adams turns 36 this spring and was supposed to have little left, while Scott was a part-time starter who didn't last in Buffalo or Detroit.
Nevertheless, Pittsburgh found a way to make it work, and now that Starks and Colon are healthy the Steelers have a dilemma -- namely what do they do with Colon? Do they re-sign him? Do they let him walk and take their chances? How concerned are they about his ability to recover from an Achilles injury? The offensive line in general must be upgraded, with the Steelers starting here. Look for them to spend an early draft choice -- maybe its first -- on a tackle because they absolutely, positively must improve their depth at the position. Basically, the Steelers must get better at tackle and guard -- with tackle the more urgent need -- to regain their spot atop the AFC. Roethlisberger is one of the top quarterbacks in the business, but he takes way too many sacks, and, yeah, part of that has to do with him extending plays by holding on to the ball. But part of it has to do with the offensive line, too. It needs help.

DL -- The good news is that former first-rounder Ziggy Hood had a breakout season, and the guy just turned 24. The bad news is that everyone else of consequence here is over 30, including starter Aaron Smith, who turns 35 this season. Now let's be honest: This isn't exactly an area of need, not with Smith returning to a line that features Hood, Brett Keisel and Casey Hampton, but it is a line that's growing old. Hampton is not the dominant presence he has been and turns 34 this season, while Keisel turns 33. Plus, the Steelers failed to produce much, if any, pressure on Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers with their front three -- or front seven -- in Super Bowl XLV. If you're looking to pad yourself for the future, start here. The Steelers are fine for now, but they could use another young body to develop as a future starter.

LB -- James Harrison was the only Steelers' linebacker named to the Pro Bowl, but the club believes it has the best group in the business -- and it may be right. But it also has age, with Harrison turning 33 in May and James Farrior turning 36 two months ago. Both are productive, with Farrior having one of his best seasons ever last year, but the Steelers can start grooming replacements. Inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons is not only solid; he led the team in tackles and was a tackling machine. With 10 sacks, outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley nearly matched Harrison's team-best 10.5. Woodley is young, terrific and here for years, and if you're looking for someone to replace Harrison in case of injury, Timmons can play outside with Larry Foote filling in the middle.

DB -- Ike Taylor is the best the Steelers have to offer at cornerback, but his contract is up -- and there's no guarantee where he'll be next season. Bryant McFadden started opposite Taylor, but after a promising start last season he started to unravel with a hip injury. William Gay played capably but seems better suited to a backup role.

Bottom line: The Steelers couldn't make the key stops in Super Bowl XLV because they weren't good enough in the secondary, and, yeah, Troy Polamalu's injury had something to do with that, but the cornerbacks are nothing more than adequate. That must change. Polamalu is the star of the secondary, but his aggressive, physical play makes him an injury waiting to happen. At the other safety spot, Ryan Clark was outstanding -- often called on to make plays in the absence of Polamalu.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1483 ... ondary/rss (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14837293/steelers-needs-afc-champs-need-to-bolster-line-secondary/rss)

Oviedo
03-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Steelers needs: AFC champs need to bolster line, secondary

By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
March 20, 2011

Pittsburgh is one of the feel-good stories from 2010, a team that overcame a raft of adversity to graduate to Super Bowl XLV.

The surprise, of course, is that the Steelers didn't close the deal. Ben Roethlisberger hadn't lost a Super Bowl, and the organization was six for seven. But lose they did when Roethlisberger failed to recreate the last-minute magic that makes him one of the league's premier quarterbacks.

Now it's up to the front office to make something happen, and there are few teams I trust as much as Pittsburgh when it comes to the draft. The Steelers seldom miss early and always find a contributor at or near the top of their board.

A year ago it was center Maurkice Pouncey. In 2009 it was Ziggy Hood. The year before, Santonio Holmes. I think you get the idea. These guys know talent, one reason the Steelers are one of the most consistent and successful franchises anywhere. In an era where dynasties aren't supposed to exist, the Pittsburgh Steelers continue to excel ... year after year after year.

One reason is that they have a franchise quarterback who knows how to win. Another is they have the league's best defense, headed by the league's most respected coordinator. But the key is the continuity of an organization that believes in a formula, sticks with it and remains one of the most constant and consistent teams out there while others keep changing.

That doesn't mean the Steelers can't make changes. Like everyone else, the club has needs, some of which were apparent in their Super Bowl XLV loss to Green Bay. The difference, of course, is not everyone will fill them as well as Pittsburgh.

QB -- Roethlisberger isn't just a franchise quarterback. He's a franchise quarterback who's been to three of the last six Super Bowls, winning two of them. Not bad, eh? It gets better. He's only 29 and just completed one of his most efficient seasons anywhere. But Roethlisberger absorbs a lot of hits, so it's always good to have a backup around. Charlie Batch turns 37 this season, so a young guy to groom isn't a bad idea.

RB -- The Steelers let Willie Parker walk because they were confident in Rashard Mendenhall, and he rewarded that faith with a personal-best 1,273 yards and 13 TDs. Coach Mike Tomlin wanted to make the Steelers a running team again, and with Mendenhall's help he did. But there's not much behind Mendenhall, unless you consider Isaac Redman a reliable option. So consider running back an option in the second or third days.

WR -- Hines Ward is 35 and on the decline. His numbers last year were down across the board, with Ward producing fewer catches (59) than at any time since 2000 and his yardage at its second-lowest ebb in the past decade. He's still a dangerous go-to receiver for Roethlisberger, but he's not the Steelers' premier pass catcher. Mike Wallace is. Not only did he lead the club in receptions and receiving TDs, he averaged a whopping 21 yards a catch. More significant, when Roethlisberger had to make a play on fourth down in the closing minutes of the Super Bowl it was Wallace, not Ward, he tried. Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown are up-and-comers, but the Steelers could try another wideout to develop as Ward is winding down.

TE -- Ward and Heath Miller are the team's most reliable receivers, and I'll be honest: I was puzzled Roethlisberger didn't dial either on that failed fourth-down pass that ended the Steelers' Super Bowl run. While Miller's receptions dropped considerably from his 2009 total (72) they were consistent with other seasons. Plus, he was used more as a blocker and missed two games. Anyway, the bottom line is this: He's solid, and he's a weapon. Matt Spaeth is OK as a backup, used primarily to block.

OL -- This was a landmine all season. First, it was right tackle Willie Colon who was injured. Then it was Max Starks, with the Steelers plugging in former Dallas starter Flozell Adams at right tackle and Jonathan Scott at left. Somehow, the Steelers managed to survive, and don't ask me how. Adams turns 36 this spring and was supposed to have little left, while Scott was a part-time starter who didn't last in Buffalo or Detroit.
Nevertheless, Pittsburgh found a way to make it work, and now that Starks and Colon are healthy the Steelers have a dilemma -- namely what do they do with Colon? Do they re-sign him? Do they let him walk and take their chances? How concerned are they about his ability to recover from an Achilles injury? The offensive line in general must be upgraded, with the Steelers starting here. Look for them to spend an early draft choice -- maybe its first -- on a tackle because they absolutely, positively must improve their depth at the position. Basically, the Steelers must get better at tackle and guard -- with tackle the more urgent need -- to regain their spot atop the AFC. Roethlisberger is one of the top quarterbacks in the business, but he takes way too many sacks, and, yeah, part of that has to do with him extending plays by holding on to the ball. But part of it has to do with the offensive line, too. It needs help.

DL -- The good news is that former first-rounder Ziggy Hood had a breakout season, and the guy just turned 24. The bad news is that everyone else of consequence here is over 30, including starter Aaron Smith, who turns 35 this season. Now let's be honest: This isn't exactly an area of need, not with Smith returning to a line that features Hood, Brett Keisel and Casey Hampton, but it is a line that's growing old. Hampton is not the dominant presence he has been and turns 34 this season, while Keisel turns 33. Plus, the Steelers failed to produce much, if any, pressure on Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers with their front three -- or front seven -- in Super Bowl XLV. If you're looking to pad yourself for the future, start here. The Steelers are fine for now, but they could use another young body to develop as a future starter.

LB -- James Harrison was the only Steelers' linebacker named to the Pro Bowl, but the club believes it has the best group in the business -- and it may be right. But it also has age, with Harrison turning 33 in May and James Farrior turning 36 two months ago. Both are productive, with Farrior having one of his best seasons ever last year, but the Steelers can start grooming replacements. Inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons is not only solid; he led the team in tackles and was a tackling machine. With 10 sacks, outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley nearly matched Harrison's team-best 10.5. Woodley is young, terrific and here for years, and if you're looking for someone to replace Harrison in case of injury, Timmons can play outside with Larry Foote filling in the middle.

DB -- Ike Taylor is the best the Steelers have to offer at cornerback, but his contract is up -- and there's no guarantee where he'll be next season. Bryant McFadden started opposite Taylor, but after a promising start last season he started to unravel with a hip injury. William Gay played capably but seems better suited to a backup role.

Bottom line: The Steelers couldn't make the key stops in Super Bowl XLV because they weren't good enough in the secondary, and, yeah, Troy Polamalu's injury had something to do with that, but the cornerbacks are nothing more than adequate. That must change. Polamalu is the star of the secondary, but his aggressive, physical play makes him an injury waiting to happen. At the other safety spot, Ryan Clark was outstanding -- often called on to make plays in the absence of Polamalu.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1483 ... ondary/rss (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14837293/steelers-needs-afc-champs-need-to-bolster-line-secondary/rss)

Well written. I have to agree with pretty much everything except Gay playing well. Our secondary did cost us the Super Bowl. Unfortunately even if we draft a couple young player we all know it will still be the old guy "who know the system" and the young talent will ride the bench. Some of the old guys are the problem.

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Steelers 1st Round Targets That Could Still Be On The Draft Board At 31

Over the last few weeks a few readers have asked me if I could put together a realistic list of players the Steelers most likely will have a shot at drafting should they stay at the #31 spot where they are currently slated to pick. As the players with first round grades are starting to settle in following their combine performances and the early pro days, it is easier now to get a better picture of the first round. I will do later rounds as we go, but there is so much movement going on still with the mid round guys it would be ludicrous to project past round one for at least a little while longer.

It is too easy to list guys here like Mike Pouncey and Nate Solder as it is pretty obvious in my opinion that if either of those two guys were to somehow drop to 31, the Steelers would snap them up. I just can't see those guys falling. What this post is trying to do is provide a realistic narrowing down of players, who at this point of March, look to have a chance at being on the board when the Steelers pick at 31. These players also fit the biggest overall needs the Steelers have as well. These are in no order:

T Gabe Carimi (Wisconsin) - Carimi is still passing all the sniff test that he can play left tackle in the NFL. Currently he is my 4th rated tackle and could be selected from pick 20 on. He still has a legitimate chance of sliding to 31 still in my opinion.

HGT WGT ARMS HANDS 40 TIME 10 TIME 225 REPS VERT JUMP 20 S 3 CONE
6070 314 35 10 3/8 5.27 1.82 29 31.5 9'1" DNP DNP

DE Cameron Heyward (Ohio State) - A few days away from his private work-out still, but Heyward could be the best 3-4 five technique defensive end in the draft. If he is not selected by the Chargers at 18, he will likely slip all the way down to the bottom of round 1.

HGT WGT ARMS HANDS 40 TIME 225 REPS VERT JUMP 20 S 60 S 3 CONE
6050* 294 34 1/4 10 1/8 DNP DNP 30.0 DNP DNP DNP DNP

DE Muhammad Wilkerson (Temple) - Another 3-4 five technique defensive end that can move around to either side. The more I see of this kid, the more I like. Had a great combine showing and could be on the board at 31. Motor is in good shape.

6041 315 35 1/4 10 4.96 27 26.0 8'10" 4.59 7.31

CB Brandon Harris (Miami) – Harris is a tad bit undersized, but very talented. Probably projects as a nickel back first before trying to move outside. He was the best looking corner in position drills at the combine. Reportedly not a huge character concern. His stock is climbing and he could have already passed Smith as the 3rd rated corner in the draft.

5094 191 30 5/8 8 1/2 4.53 13 35.5 9'5" 4.12 N/A 6.77

ILB Martez Wilson (Illinois) - I mentioned this guy back on a podcast a while ago and also in my best player available post. Since then, everyone is finally giving him respect as a possibility for the Steelers in round one. James Farrior is another year older and free agent Keyaron Fox likely will not be back. Larry Foote is under contract still, but not irreplaceable either. Wilson has a great tool set and could probably play inside and outside if needed. He also could cut his teeth on special teams in year one.

6036 250 34 5/8 9 3/4 4.49 23 36.0 10'4" 4.28 DNP 7.04

NT Phil Taylor (Baylor) - Taylor will likely be the 1st true nose tackle off the board. The Steelers just nailed down Casey Hampton prior to the 2010 season for a few more years and Chris Hoke is currently an unrestricted free agent. It might be one year too early for the Steelers to draft the heir apparent to Big Snack, but I am not ready to cross him off the list of suspects just because of that.

6032 334 34 10 3/4 5.14 31 29.5 8'4" 4.77 7.75

T Derek Sherrod (Mississippi State) - Easily the 4th or 5th best tackle in the draft. Because of that he should be available late and could even slide to the early part of round 2. I still have Solder and Carimi rated ahead of him and Sherrod would likely be better suited on the right side as well. He had a good Senior Bowl showing.

6053 321 35 3/8 11 5.20 23 28.0 8'1" 4.63 7.43

G Danny Watkins (Baylor) - Easily the second best interior lineman on the board, but also easily the oldest guy of the early rounders. Because of his age and the fact he projects as a guard, it would be easy to rule him out as a possibility of being drafted by the Steelers in the 1st round. I am not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet with him, because the talent certainly is there.

6033 310 34 1/4 10 1/8 5.40 29 26.0 7'8" 4.62 7.61

CB Jimmy Smith (Colorado) - Physical corner with questions about his character and work ethic. Certainly is talented and fits what the Steelers need. Some reports suggest he did not interview too well at the combine. Certainly has a shot at dropping to 31, but would the Steelers risk it with him? Too early to rule him out just yet as many are trying to do.

6022 211 32 1/4 9 3/4 4.46 24 36.0 10'3" 4.06 6.93

CB/S Aaron Williams (Texas) - Is he a corner or a safety? Not the best of tacklers, but is still raw. Easily the 5th rated corner in the draft if that is what he is deemed. Would probably be a reach for the Steelers in round one, but I am not ready to rule him out as a possibility just yet.

5117 204 31 1/2 9 1/4 4.56 18 37.5 10'7" 4.07 6.72

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/st ... ard-at-31/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/steelers-1st-round-targets-that-could-still-be-on-the-draft-board-at-31/)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-27-2011, 11:46 AM
As I have mentioned in a few other threads, this is the first time that I can remember going into a draft with one need as huge and glaring as our current CB situation. This must somehow be addressed otherwise we cannot be a competitive team next year.

If Ike is not re-signed then we MUST either get one of the top FA CBs, draft a CB in the first, or both!!

BMac, Gay starting with Butler/Lewis/Madison is awful.

Adding Dowling/House/Brown/Burton/Carmichael does not give us much of an upgrade in 2011.

Signing a Chris Carr, Brent Grimes, Chris Houston, Carlos Rogers, Cromartie would give us a starter in 2011 but not a big enough upgrade, and the other corners who would be worthwhile will cost a ton.

So....if we do not re-sign Ike by the draft - or a Joseph or equivalent, then we must grab either Harris or Williams if still on the board.

Shawn
03-27-2011, 12:04 PM
The thing with Williams is I don't know if he is a guy you can plug in from day 1. He lacks the experience and needs some work from what I have seen and read. I think Harris is more NFL ready today. But, I'm not confident he will be there. I believe Harris comes off the board first, and Williams will be a viable option...but not sure he is a real option to start next season.

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2011, 02:48 AM
With the #31 Pick in the 2011 MHR Community Mock Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select DT Corey Liuget, Illinois

by Jeremy Bolander on Mar 29, 2011

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/989923/image001_large.jpg

From General Manager SoCalBroncosFan: It would seem that the Pittsburgh Steelers have more pressing needs in the secondary, sans Polamalu, and the large Steeler contingent at the Texas pro day forced me to strongly consider Aaron Williams. However, the Steelers traditionally draft "Best Player Available" in the first three rounds, and Liuget was just sitting there. He’s arguably the third best DT in this draft and is rated in the top 25 in most Top Draft Prospect rankings I’ve read. He’s tough, very strong, has surprisingly quick feet at 298lbs, and is extremely versatile, having experience with 5-technique, 3-technique, and NT. The Steelers also have a need, albeit less glaring, in their DL ranks, as NT’s Casey Hampton (33) and backup Chris Hoke(35) have contracts expiring in the next two years. Also, DE Aaron Smith (34) missed most of last season with a triceps injury and Brett Keisel will be 33 at the start of the season. The Steelers could use an infusion of talented youth in their front 3. He will likely sub in as a backup in year one, but the Steelers are not afraid to sit 1st round picks, ala Ziggy Hood or Rashard Mendenhall.

Analysis from CBSSports.com:

Pass rush: Tough for many college interior linemen to handle one-on-one in pass protection. Quick enough to beat lesser linemen off the snap at three-tech, uses his hands to free himself from block when there is enough space to do so. Gets his man on skates or pushes through a block (or double) to the quarterback to get pressure. Also strong and quick enough to play on the nose in obvious passing situations. Recovers from strong punch to run through a gap immediately. Does not have elite closing speed, but his hustle and ability to stay low make him difficult to escape within or outside the pocket.

Run defense: Stout defender who plays with a strong base. Penetrates into the backfield with quickness. Lines up at three and five-technique spots. Capable of stack-shed inside or outside. Gets past reach blocks on inside runs with quick feet and strength to keep blocker on his shoulder. Usually keeps his head up to find the ball. Lacks acceleration to keep outside containment as a five-technique. Not consistent defeating cut blocks with his hands.

Explosion: Not elite in his first step, but has enough to be a pass rush and penetrating run-stopper inside. Ball carriers feel every bit of his strength when he tackles them, and blockers are bruised up with his punching and swiping throughout the game.

Strength: His ability to play multiple positions not only comes from his quick feet, but also his strength. Lands a big punch into the chest of his man, swipes with aggression to move the blocker aside. Uses his low center of gravity to his advantage, getting leverage to stack one-on-one and shed to either direction when playing two-gap at nose tackle. Senses zone block, uses blocker's inertia against him with a strong push to get into the backfield. Usually anchors well against single and double blocks, but can get moved by NFL-caliber linemen.

Tackling: Strong upper body, hustle, and good length make him an excellent tackler. Engulfs running backs in the backfield when able to penetrate. Built low to the ground, displays excellent change of direction ability to stay in front of backs cutting against the grain. Hustles 10-15 yards downfield to make or help on tackles. Adds himself to piles when able. Lacks elite closing speed to chase down backs from behind. Tends to run out of steam when playing a lot at the end of games.

Intangibles: Coaches say Liuget is a leader in the locker and meetings rooms. Chose Illinois over southern schools because of head coach Ron Zook. Wished to transfer after two years in Champaign due to home sickness; mother said he would not be welcome home if he transferred.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/3/29 ... pittsburgh (http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/3/29/2079862/with-the-31-pick-in-the-2011-mhr-community-mock-draft-the-pittsburgh)

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2011, 01:42 PM
I like Liuget as a "legit" prospect, but his best fit is at DT in the 4-3. He doesn't seem to be a fit for DE or NT in a 3-4.