PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin & Colbert visit LSU pro day

PSU_dropout43
03-14-2011, 11:44 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

As the whispers of Patrick Peterson being worth the No. 1 overall draft pick get louder, teams are definitely taking notice of LSUís standout cornerback ó beginning with, who else, but the Carolina Panthers.

The Panthers, who hold the top selection, made their presence known at LSUís pro day, sending head coach Ron Rivera and general manager Marty Hurney to watch the Tigersí workout Monday indoors on FieldTurf.

In fact, all 32 teams were present in some form, including Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert, Saints coach Sean Payton and general manager Mickey Loomis, and Cardinals general manager Rod Graves.

After watching Peterson put on a show again on Monday (as he did at the NFL Scouting combine), the Denver Broncos, who pick No. 2 overall, have scheduled a private workout with Peterson at a date and time to be determined.

You canít go wrong with Peterson. Whoever drafts this guy is getting a stud. A lot of people call him the safest player in the draft, and I would agree with that. He has size (measured in at 6-foot-0 3/8, 218 pounds on Monday), he has height, he has return ability. He basically has everything it takes to be a shutdown corner, which everybody is looking for in todayís NFL.

Peterson just might end up being the first defensive back ever taken No. 1 overall. Heís definitely worth it.

Among the other notables to work out at LSUís pro day:

LB Kelvin Sheppard (6-2, 250) ó He ran 4.70 and 4.71 seconds in the 40-yard dash, and kept his numbers on everything else at the combine. He also re-did the 3-cone drill in 7.25 seconds. Sheppard is an ideal inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

DL Drake Nevis (6-0 5/8, 298) ó He ran 4.92 twice in the 40 and did the 3-cone drill in 7.76, which was not as good as his combine time. He also did position drills.

WR Terrence Toliver (6-4, 211) ó He ran 4.54 in the 40 and pulled his right hamstring, but before that he had a vertical jump of 33 Ĺ inches and did a 10-2 broad jump. Somehow, Toliver recovered enough to do position workouts, and he was outstanding. He caught everything thrown his way and put on a great, gutsy performance.

DL Pep Levingston (6-3 ĺ, 286) ó He ran 4.92 and 4.89 in the 40 and 7.39 in the 3-cone drill. He had a 31-inch vertical, but kept his broad jump and short shuttle from the combine. He bench pressed 225 pounds 20 times and did position workouts.

RB Stephen Ridley (5-11 3/8, 230) ó He ran 4.67 and 4.66 40s, a 4.17 short shuttle and a 6.78 3-cone drill. He didnít do the vertical or the broad jump, and did 21 lifts in the bench press.

- Gil Brandt

Chadman
03-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Interesting...who were they there to see? Peterson will be way out of their reach...Drake Nevis perhaps?

NJ-STEELER
03-15-2011, 12:48 AM
where are sheppard and tolliver projected to go.

i wouldnt mind either later on in the draft

StarSpangledSteeler
03-15-2011, 01:45 AM

Tolliver 5th-6th round

Sheppard 3rd-4th round

If Sheppard drops to us in the 4th, he presents good value in an area of need, but I don't think he does in the 3rd. I like his size and quality of competition (SEC), the question is... Is he capable of taking over Farrior's role? Or would we slide Timmons into Farrior's spot and then let Sly and Sheppard battle it out? Sheppard is more of a downhill thumper. I just don't know if he has the quickness and agility in coverage, which is where we really need the most help defensively.

Here's my problem with Tolliver... Where do we use him? We already have a deep threat in Wallace. Is Tolliver a good route runner/separation guy? Not really. Is he a great slot/possession receiver? Not really. The spot we have "need" of is a tough, physical, over the middle, crossing route, in traffic type WR. Can he be that guy?

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2011, 03:58 AM
Interesting...who were they there to see?

Steelers Six From Around The Web Ė Tuesday March 15th

Yesterday we informed you that Mike Tomlin was present for the LSU Pro Day and Gil Brandt notes that Kevin Colbert was also with Tomlin in Baton Rouge. Linebacker Kelvin Sheppard could be the man getting the Steelers eyeballs and Brandt thinks he is an ideal inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

http://www.vikingsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Kelvin-Sheppard.jpg

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/st ... y-edition/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/steelers-six-from-around-the-web-tuesday-march-15th-chatty-manny-edition/)

steelblood
03-15-2011, 07:15 AM
WARNING WARNING!:
Do NOT overdraft Kelvin Sheppard. You may love his toughness, but he is a liability against the pass.

Do NOT draft Tolliver! He fears contact.

Sheppard is fine in round 4 (maybe 3)
Levingston and Ridley are okay late rounders.

Oviedo
03-15-2011, 07:50 AM

Tolliver 5th-6th round

Sheppard 3rd-4th round

If Sheppard drops to us in the 4th, he presents good value in an area of need, but I don't think he does in the 3rd. I like his size and quality of competition (SEC), the question is... Is he capable of taking over Farrior's role? Or would we slide Timmons into Farrior's spot and then let Sly and Sheppard battle it out? Sheppard is more of a downhill thumper. I just don't know if he has the quickness and agility in coverage, which is where we really need the most help defensively.

Here's my problem with Tolliver... Where do we use him? We already have a deep threat in Wallace. Is Tolliver a good route runner/separation guy? Not really. Is he a great slot/possession receiver? Not really. The spot we have "need" of is a tough, physical, over the middle, crossing route, in traffic type WR. Can he be that guy?

We need to get another speed guy opposite Wallace to draw away some of the over the top coverage he got this past season. Ward, Sanders and brown all all essentially slot receivers. I like a guy with some size and speed opposite Wallace since all our WRs are 6' or less. Tolliver and Sweed can battle for the spot.