PDA

View Full Version : Prospects unlikely to attend draft, interview w/ NFL Network

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Sources: NFLPA orders draft boycott
By Adam Schefter
ESPN
Updated: March 14, 2011, 2:54 PM ET

An offseason turned upside down will continue to get odder.

The NFL Players Association is putting into place a plan that would prevent each top college prospect from attending next month's draft in New York, according to multiple league sources. The NFLPA already has contacted 17 top prospects that ordinarily would have received an invitation to attend the draft and informed them not to go.

Thus, when NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announces the name of the first player selected, the player will not walk on to the stage at Radio City Music Hall as has been the custom. And the player will not be there to do interviews with ESPN or NFL Network. The draft will go on, but not in the manner in which it has been conducted before.

"As of right now, this is 100 percent happening," said one source familiar with the Players Association's thinking. "This is going down."

The Players Association even has gone so far as to consider placing the players on another competing network to do post-pick interviews, though no final decisions have been made. Another source said that, in this day and age, it's possible that the top prospects also could appear on a social media network platform, only.

"We plan to invite the 15-20 top prospects and their families to New York as we normally do for this once-in-a-lifetime experience. And, as always, it is the decision of the players and their families as to whether they attend," league spokesman Greg Aiello said in response to the report.

While the NFL has always paid the expenses for the invited players and their immediate family to attend the draft, the league said it would not pay players a fee in an attempt to have them present this year.

Last Friday, the union decertified, meaning it declared itself out of the business of representing players. In exchange for giving up their rights under labor law, the players are able to take their chances in court under antitrust law.

Although it no longer represents players, the NFLPA still exists "as a professional trade association with the mission of supporting the interests and rights of current and former professional football players," it said after decertifying.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6216135

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2011, 03:15 PM
fine with me, maybe now the draft will move along a little faster...ESPN will simply adjust and show more video highlights of the player being drafted.

Sugar
03-14-2011, 03:16 PM
So, what if a kid went to NY anyway?

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2011, 03:17 PM
So, what if a kid went to NY anyway?

I doubt he would now, that would be considered akin to crossing the picket line.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
I love this. Not like. LOVE.

calmkiller
03-14-2011, 04:26 PM
There is no NFLPA so they can't tell anyone what to do. It is for each individual to decide what they want to do. If I were a top 10 pick I wouldn't let them tell me what to do. That is just me though.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-14-2011, 04:30 PM
There is no NFLPA so they can't tell anyone what to do. It is for each individual to decide what they want to do. If I were a top 10 pick I wouldn't let them tell me what to do. That is just me though.

And rookies don't "have to" carry the veteran's pads. But there is a lot of goodwill to be gained by playing along.

Sugar
03-14-2011, 04:47 PM
In other words, these kids will be bullied into not getting a trip to NYC for them and their family because the want to "get along."

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2011, 04:56 PM
In other words, these kids will be bullied into not getting a trip to NYC for them and their family because the want to "get along."

yes, that pretty much sums it up.

DeMaurice Smith is depriving these kids and their families of the experience of a lifetime.

Oviedo
03-14-2011, 05:05 PM

So the union that is about to sell the rookies down the river with a reduced rookie salary pool wants the rookies to support them against the NFL and miss out on one of the most exciting moments in their lives.

Yeah---unions are really caring about their future members. What a crock!!!!

birtikidis
03-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Hey, they can just go bag groceries or whatever other skill they learned from college. They don't have to play in the NFL. But if there is a CBA, they will be represented by the union. But then, you'd probably want the union to get a crappy deal just for a trip to NYC. I think the NFLPA should set up something in Hawaii and do a show on a competing network.

Chadman
03-14-2011, 05:50 PM
If it's going to be that petty, then Chadman guesses we have the answer to what the Union's angle has been all along.

These rookies won't get this opportunity again. Wonder if they'll regret it next year when they see the #1 pick up on stage, in front of the crowd, holding his new jersey proudly showing what his achievements have brought him.

phillyesq
03-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Seems to me this hurts the union's argument that it actually decertified, and bolsters the league's argument that decertification is a sham.

It's a shame for the kids involved, but even though I'm an avid watcher of the draft, this isn't really going to change my enjoyment of it.

papillon
03-15-2011, 06:39 AM
Football is a physically demanding sport and these guys have been playing and practicing since they were kids. Everyday in the weight room since high school and some, since junior high, two-a-days in August, practice five days a week since high school, attending college classes and practicing, rehabbing from injury and Smith is requesting that they don't go and see the fruits of this labor unfold? :wft

I'd tell him to shove it up his a$$ and go to New York to shake the commissioners hand and put the baseball hat on for the team that selected me.

I wonder why he didn't ask them not to participate in the combine or their Pro days? Smith is an @ssclown; he must be a Browns fan.

Pappy

steelblood
03-15-2011, 07:09 AM
From the article above...

Although it no longer represents players, the NFLPA still exists "as a professional trade association with the mission of supporting the interests and rights of current and former professional football players," it said after decertifying.

So it will do everything but negotiate? I'm taking my ball and going home!

Oviedo
03-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Football is a physically demanding sport and these guys have been playing and practicing since they were kids. Everyday in the weight room since high school and some, since junior high, two-a-days in August, practice five days a week since high school, attending college classes and practicing, rehabbing from injury and Smith is requesting that they don't go and see the fruits of this labor unfold? :wft

I'd tell him to shove it up his a$$ and go to New York to shake the commissioners hand and put the baseball hat on for the team that selected me.

I wonder why he didn't ask them not to participate in the combine or their Pro days? Smith is an @ssclown; he must be a Browns fan.

Pappy

That proves that Smith is a sham just like the player's decertification. As I will continue to say this is about Smith and his need to establish his credentials as a bada$$ labor leader. He could care less about the future of the NFL.

Oviedo
03-15-2011, 07:54 AM
From the article above...

So it will do everything but negotiate? I'm taking my ball and going home!

Pretty obvious what a fraud the union is along with their tactics

flippy
03-15-2011, 09:15 AM
College kids aren't NFL players until they sign their first contract. So they are overstepping their bounds here.

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Patrick Peterson wants to go to New York; NFL smiles

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 15, 2011

The NFLPA* reportedly has recommended that incoming rookies not attend the NFL Draft.

It’s a concept that doesn’t appear too popular with NFL fans. Or one top-ranked rookie.

“I heard about that. No one has contacted me to go to New York or not go to New York. I would like to go if possible. That’s what you play football for,” LSU cornerback Peterson told Aaron Wilson of NFP via NFLLabor.com.

“That’s a big moment to go up there and shake the commissioner’s hand and get that jersey and hat. It means a lot. I definitely want to go and no one has told me not to go. So, we’ll see what happens.”

The NFL realizes this is a wedge issue. It could wedge current players from incoming rookies; Peterson’s views are pretty clear. And it will definitely wedge players from fans.

Taking a stand on the draft is within the rights of the players, but that doesn’t mean it is in their best interest. Making a stand here is not seeing the forest for the trees.

Keeping players away from New York won’t really hurt the owners; it may help them. It will only piss off fans and potentially diminish the experience of guys like Peterson.

For many fans, the draft is the next closest thing to the Super Bowl on the entire NFL calendar. Disrupting the draft, however minor, is just another sign the players and the owners say they care about the fans, but they could really care less.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... es/related (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/15/patrick-peterson-wants-to-go-to-new-york-nfl-smiles/related)

papillon
03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
What Union is the NFLPA a part of or are they their own entity? I mean, the AFL-CIO has locals all over the country, the same SEIU, etc, etc... To what union does the NFLPA belong? Because, the next time that union strikes I expect the football players to go stand with their union brothers on the picket line and forgo their paychecks like the guys from other businesses. Here's to the NFLPA :moon they're a sham and there isn't player in the NFL that would go and stand a picket line if the governing body of their union said they were going on strike.

Pappy

Steel Life
03-15-2011, 06:28 PM
There are rumors that the NFLPA might have a party in NYC where they will celebrate the selection of the players along with D. Smith (woohoo! :roll:) & sell the televised rights to another network.

If this is true, I have one question for the players & their leader...how do you expect to get a deal done when you intentionally antagonize your employer & possibly benefit a rival TV network?!? It is the responsibility of each player in the league to either help or at least not hinder the public profile of the league - that is how you get paid...you help build the brand, sell the game. I'm hearing how if these kids attend the draft that it's the equivalent of crossing a picket-line & they'd have trouble looking their veteran teammates in the eye...well how about their employers?!? Don't these knuckleheads realize that what's good for the league is good for them?

Oviedo
03-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Don't these knuckleheads realize that what's good for the league is good for them?

Everyone continues to miss the issue. De Smith only cares about what is good for him and his reputation as a labor leader. In his pinhead mind that obviously means beating the owners no matter what the long term colateral damage and second order effects to the NFL. That is why he wants this decided by courts and not negotiation.

BackwoodsSteeler
03-15-2011, 06:41 PM
College kids aren't NFL players until they sign their first contract. So they are overstepping their bounds here.
I agree. It's a shame that the "union" is trying to take away one of the most important days of these kids lives.

It's like parents getting a divorce....leave the kids out of it.

Chadman
03-15-2011, 07:12 PM
If the Union is going to stand firm on this, or if it's true & pressure has been placed on these young men by the Union/NFL Players that by turning up to the NFL Draft is akin to standing against your teammates- then SHAME ON THE UNION & THE NFL PLAYERS.

Seriously, these are young men that should be in a position to thoroughly enjoy the fruits of their labours over the last few years- an opportunity for them to celebrate their success at the college level transferring over to the professional level.

And yet the Union/Players feel that a unified stance over something that has never effected these kids is more important than being allowed to bask in their glory.

BackwoodsSteeler
03-15-2011, 07:16 PM
If the Union is going to stand firm on this, or if it's true & pressure has been placed on these young men by the Union/NFL Players that by turning up to the NFL Draft is akin to standing against your teammates- then SHAME ON THE UNION & THE NFL PLAYERS.

Seriously, these are young men that should be in a position to thoroughly enjoy the fruits of their labours over the last few years- an opportunity for them to celebrate their success at the college level transferring over to the professional level.

And yet the Union/Players feel that a unified stance over something that has never effected these kids is more important than being allowed to bask in their glory.
Exactly. Why take the day these kids have looked forward to for years, away from them? The trip to the city. The being drafted and walking up on the brightest stage on TV and having your family enjoy that with you......it's pointless. The so-called union gains nothing by doing this other than making themselves look bad.

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Updated: March 15, 2011

Roger Goodell: Draft 'a special moment'

ESPN.com news services

Commissioner Roger Goodell thinks it would be a "shame" if the NFLPA diverts top prospects from this year's NFL draft.

In a Tuesday night interview with ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on "SportsCenter", Goodell responded to the recent revelation that the union may be devising an alternate draft day plan for prospects that would normally be invited to Radio City Music Hall, where the draft will be held April 28-30.

"I think it's a shame for young men that are starting their careers in the NFL, that are having that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to come across the stage, become an NFL player for the first time [to not be able to attend the draft]," Goodell told Schefter. "It's a really special moment and I hope they get to experience it."

Goodell called the chance attend the draft, walk onto the stage and accept a team's jersey after being selected a "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

"It's a special moment for them," Goodell told Schefter. "It's a chance for them to realize their hopes and dreams and become an NFL player. ... I hope they'll be able to continue to do that because it's not only enjoyed by the players, it's also enjoyed by the fans."

Multiple league sources told Schefter on Monday that the NFLPA is putting into place a plan that would prevent each top college prospect from attending the draft. According to the sources, the 17 top prospects who ordinarily would have received an invitation to attend the draft have been contacted and it was recommended that they not attend.

One source told Schefter on Monday that the NFLPA plans to give the prospects the "same experience down the street."

Goodell told Schefter that he has not heard anything from the union about the plan officially, but said it wouldn't be the first time draftees were not in attendance.

"The draft in the past we didn't have players there," Goodell said. "It's just part of our effort to make it more of a fan event, to make it more appealing.

"We had 45 million people watching the draft last year ... people love to see the reaction of these players and that's part of the excitement of this event."

NFL Players Association executive George Atallah said Tuesday that players and their families will be in New York for the NFL draft next month, but the experience might be "different." Atallah made his comments both on Twitter and in an appearance on ESPN's "NFL Live."

Last Friday, the union decertified, meaning it declared itself out of the business of representing players. In exchange for giving up their rights under labor law, the players are able to take their chances in court under antitrust law.

After the players filed their paperwork, the owners initiated a lockout. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for April 6 to consider an injunction request filed by the players to end the lockout.

In a separate interview with NFL Network, Goodell said he doesn't expect labor talks to resume until after that hearing.

In both interviews, Goodell said he would be willing to return to negotiation -- and mediation -- immediately, if the union was willing.

"Uncertainty's not good for anybody," Goodell told ESPN's Schefter. "And that's what we're in, a period of uncertainty. We need to get issues resolved."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6222128

sentinel33
03-17-2011, 09:55 PM
As stated by Steelblood earlier, the NFLPA is only still responseable for "current and former players". these rookies are neither, so Smith has no care as to what happens to them. what they experience. to him, they are pawns.
Once these kids realize that, they will tell him to stick it.
Right now the NFLPA needs all the good publicity they can get, what with the decertification debacle. And now this heinous move against the Rookies.
As much as I dont like Goodell, the Owners made attempts to get a deal into a workable domain, from what I understand. It appears that the Smith/NFLPA element made no real budge to compromise, even when given financial information that was requested. most think that they felt the request would not be met. but still, the owners were bending. the NFLPA did nothing. they did less than nothing. they wasted even more of everybodys time and effort. It looks like they had no intention of reaching any sort of agreement at all. just posturing and BS!
So I hope the Owners can reverse-engineer this SNAFU right back up Smith's A$$ aqnd put a positive spin of trajectory on this. $hits gettin ridiculous now. punishing kids for ones own screwups.

Again, weeping for humanity...

hawaiiansteel
03-20-2011, 12:19 AM
NFLPA* needs to drop the draft day double talk

Posted by Mike Florio on March 19, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/kevinmawaefeb2010.jpg?w=250

Given the intense fan reaction to Adam Schefter’s report that the NFLPA* told incoming rookies not to attend the 2011 draft, the NFLPA* quickly backpedaled, adopting the position that the entity with no power to tell anyone to do anything has not told the incoming rookies invited to Radio City Music Hall to stay home and watch TV.

But the NFLPA* has followed that message with a Marie Barone layer of passive-aggressive guilt, wondering aloud why any player would choose to attend an event being staged by the entity that will welcome the rookies with open arms — just before locking them out.

On Friday, NFLPA* Executive Committee member Drew Brees and NFLPA* president Kevin Mawae tried in separate contexts to pull off the “I’m not sayin’, I’m just sayin’” routine.

Said Brees on ESPN: “Each rookie has, if they’ve been invited to New York, they absolutely have the option of going to New York. I think to our point it was, ‘How do you feel about walking across the stage and shaking the hand of the Commissioner who just locked you out?’ And as great an experience as it is to get drafted, which it absolutely is, I think the even greater experience is to play your first game and to have the opportunity to win a championship, and right now that’s being threatened with this lockout.”

Said Mawae on Sirius NFL Radio: “[W]hen it comes down to what’s going to happen on draft day, we know there is going to be a draft. And the guys, the potential draft picks, they’re all men and we’ve treated them as men and they are soon to be equals with us and it’s their decision what to do on draft day. But here’s the thing, why would you want to stand up on a stage with a man that is going to prevent you from making a living, that has called for a lockout, and shined yourself all over the TV screen for the shield when in fact they’re the ones who are locking you out in the first place? That’s just something they’ve got to ask themselves. We have not boycotted. We have not said you can’t go. We’ve done nothing like that. But we do want them to seriously consider the idea that the man that you are going to shake hands with on the day you get drafted is the man that is going to prevent you from making a living.”

We have a ton of respect and admiration for men like Brees and Mawae. But at a time when the players want the owners to realize that the players aren’t stupid, the players need to realize that the rest of us — including the incoming draft picks — aren’t stupid, either. We all know what the players are trying to do. They want to pressure the rookies into not going to the draft, without being accused of pressuring them into not going to the draft.

We’d respect the move a lot more if the players would simply just acknowledge that they’re pressuring the rookies into not going to the draft.

Here’s our take on the situation. Both sides agreed when signing the 2006 CBA that a draft would occur after the ultimate expiration of the agreement, regardless of whether a new agreement was reached. Both sides need to respect that, and both sides need to fully commit to the process.

The players also need to realize that no one watches the draft to see the new players walk across the stage and get a man hug from Roger Goodell. The gesture is for the new players’ benefit, not ours. Fans will still watch the draft, regardless of whether the incoming rookies attend it.

That said, the damage already is done. Any rookie who attends the draft will have a harder time fitting in with some of the harder-headed veterans on his team once the lockout ends. And any rookie who attends the draft also will have to keep his head on an even looser swivel when on the field against opponents who perceive the decision as a betrayal.

And that’s unfortunate. Men like Drew Brees and Kevin Mawae and most of the other players can’t relate to the sacrifice that a handful of rookie have been pressured into making, since they weren’t invited to attend the draft when they were rookies. And what’s really the goal? To send a message that barely will resonate?

At this point, the NFL’s best move possibly would be to invite no rookies to the draft, and to explain that the league doesn’t want to force its newest employees to have to make such a difficult decision in light of the pressure that their future peers are deliberately placing upon them.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... uble-talk/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/19/nflpa-needs-to-drop-the-draft-day-double-talk/)

Chadman
03-20-2011, 10:42 AM
At this point, the NFL’s best move possibly would be to invite no rookies to the draft, and to explain that the league doesn’t want to force its newest employees to have to make such a difficult decision in light of the pressure that their future peers are deliberately placing upon them.

True- very true.

The current crop of NFL players who have thought this 'pressure' up, or have actively mentioned it to team mates, potential draft picks, or the media are proving to be more selfish with every moment.

Disgraceful- regardless of where your beliefs lie in the CBA dispute.

grotonsteel
03-20-2011, 10:55 AM
If i am a college player i would attend draft if BADall is not present at Radio City or NFL should atleast allow helmet to helmet hit on BADall...

If CBA is signed there has to be a clause to can BADall ar$e. He is a liar and is hell bent on changing NFL to flag football...

BTW is there a proposal to cut BADall salary??? If NFL is having trouble with the revenue why not make cut NFL Commish salary? He is not even worth a dollar salary that they are paying now.