PDA

View Full Version : Meet Lance Kendricks

steelerkeylargo
03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
http://thenationalfootballreport.com/20 ... kendricks/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/03/14/2011-nfl-draft-profile-lance-kendricks/)

Oviedo
03-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Size ia concern and wonder if he can block the way a Steelers TE is expected.

I might be a little more interested in Virgil Green from Nevada later in the draft and I would not rule out Kyle Rudolph at #31 as the Best Player Available. Could you imagine having two Heath Millers? It would be tough to match up to.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2011, 01:08 PM
I don't see Rudolph as being another Heath Miller.

Heath was a value pick falling to us at #30. If not for the sports hernia injury, he likely would have been off the board in the top 20.

Rudolph is merely the best option in a subpar TE class. I see him a mid-2nd round value, even if his hamstring injury heals up enough for a solid workout. I think he would be a reach at #31 (and a mistake for a team that misuses the TE's they already have, and have much greater needs elsewhere).

Oviedo
03-14-2011, 01:12 PM

Heath was a value pick falling to us at #30. If not for the sports hernia injury, he likely would have been off the board in the top 20.

Rudolph is merely the best option in a subpar TE class. I see him a mid-2nd round value, even if his hamstring injury heals up enough for a solid workout. I think he would be a reach at #31 (and a mistake for a team that misuses the TE's they already have, and have much greater needs elsewhere).

I don't disagree, but history has shown that Colbert will take who he believes the best player available is. I'm just not sure when you look at who else might be there thare aren't alot of players like Rudolph who are early to mid-Round 2 guys. Question is who do they deem to be the BPA. They rarely go for a perceived need pick in Round 1.

grotonsteel
03-14-2011, 01:32 PM

I don't disagree, but history has shown that Colbert will take who he believes the best player available is. I'm just not sure when you look at who else might be there thare aren't alot of players like Rudolph who are early to mid-Round 2 guys. Question is who do they deem to be the BPA. They rarely go for a perceived need pick in Round 1.

I don't think Colbert will be willing to spend money on a Rd 1 TE. I don't think Steelers want to tie up so much money on a TE position. Apart from money I think it might even create issues in team environment with two Rd 1 TE.

hawaiiansteel
03-25-2011, 04:34 AM
Closer Look At The Steelers 2010 Redzone Woes

March 24

One thing that stuck out on me when looking at the success of the Patriots in the redzone success they had was how they used their two, newly drafted tight ends. Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez were both exceptional inside the redzone. They were targeted a total of 28 times by my count and caught 21 of those passes. 15 of these were for touchdowns. Combining the Patriots wide recivers and tight ends in 2010, the Patriots had 45 redzone receptions. 23 of those receptions came from the tight ends. The extra 2 coming from Alge Crumpler. That is over 50% of the redzone catches of those two positions combined.

Could the Steelers be just one good tight end way from solving their redzone problems? Matt Spaeth is regarded as a blocking tight end and we saw this first hand during the first meeting against the Jets when Miller was sidelined. That makes a pretty strong argument for the Steelers perhaps drafting Wisconsin tight end Lance Kendricks somewhere around round 3 or 4. Kendricks is perhaps the best all-around tight end the draft that best matches what the Steelers need a tight end to do in their two tight end offense. He would surely be an upgrade over Spaeth. Just keep that thought filed away.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/cl ... zone-woes/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/closer-look-at-the-steelers-2010-redzone-woes/)

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2011, 12:34 AM
N.F.L. Draft: Lance Kendricks, Fourth-Ranked Tight End

By MATT WALDMAN
April 3, 2011

Matt Waldman is the author of The Rookie Scouting Portfolio, an 859-page testament to his depraved obsession with film analysis of rookie prospects at quarterback, running back, wide receiver and tight end. This series counts down his top five draft prospects at each position.

No. 4 Lance Kendricks, Wisconsin (6-2, 243)

If Kendricks had the frame of Notre Dame tight end Kyle Rudolph, he would give Rudolph a run for his money as the best all-around tight end in this class. Iím impressed with Kendricksís run-blocking skills. He gets his hands on a defender and has enough dexterity and strength to keep them there while generating a push. In the games I watched, Kendricks repeatedly funneled defenders away from runners with his initial punch and hand placement.

When heís patient enough, he can also deliver a good cut block.

This is pretty much what one would expect from a tight end who played at Wisconsin, which is why Owen Daniels, Travis Beckum and Garrett Graham were all viable N.F.L. prospects despite their H-back size. And Kendricks belongs on this list for the same reasons. As a receiver, he has the initial burst off the line and the ability to use his hands and feet to avoid a jam to get downfield. He demonstrates the flexibility in his hips to change direction sharply at the top of his route into his break. He also works back to the quarterback and gets his hands up early.

Kendricks catches the ball with his hands and demonstrates the concentration to catch the ball after contact. He has the agility and power to break the initial wrap or run through a tackle to his legs for additional yardage.

Although he should hold his own against safeties and some linebackers, Kendricks lacks the size and strength to sustain blocks against most ends and linebackers in an N.F.L. run game. Heís best used as a reach blocker or at angles where he can eliminate the leverage of a bigger defender to funnel the opponent away from the flow of the play.

Kendricks has good but not great speed and quickness for the pro level, and heís not as fluid as a runner after the catch as a top move prospect like Virgil Green. I think Kendricksís upside is pretty close to its ceiling, which makes him a future contributor for an N.F.L. team that needs a move-T.E., but not a top-end starter.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011 ... ss&emc=rss (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/n-f-l-draft-lance-kendricks-fourth-ranked-tight-end/?partner=rss&emc=rss)

hawaiiansteel
04-11-2011, 03:45 AM
check out these Lance Kendricks YouTube highlights, I'll bet Bruce Arians would love to use this guy in his various TE packages:

http://youtu.be/YCAuwm3OG6k

NJ-STEELER
04-11-2011, 07:04 PM
nice high light package. looks like the kid can move. he can cause some big time match up problems.

playing in wisconsin...he's also used to the cold, so that wont effect him.

gonna have to change my mock around to include him

papillon
04-11-2011, 09:45 PM
He was always wide open and that's good, except in NFL you aren't going to get open that easy all the time. He had to hand fight for one catch and he made it. I'd like to see more highlights where he had to go and highpoint the ball or battle a defender for it.

He did look good running with it once he caught it and he got north and south (like Heath).

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
04-11-2011, 10:36 PM
except he gets north and south about twice as fast as heath

The Sodfather
04-12-2011, 08:20 AM
If he gets to #63 the Steelers will be on it like a hobo on a ham sammich, IMO.

Doubt he makes it that far though.