PDA

View Full Version : NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell Writes Letter to Fans

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2011, 10:52 PM
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell Writes Letter to Fans

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell posted the following letter to NFL fans on http://www.nfl.com on Friday after labor talks ended:

Dear NFL Fan,

When I wrote to you last on behalf of the NFL, we promised you that we would work tirelessly to find a collectively bargained solution to our differences with the players' union. Subsequent to that letter to you, we agreed that the fastest way to a fair agreement was for everyone to work together through a mediation process. For the last three weeks I have personally attended every session of mediation, which is a process our clubs sincerely believe in.

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that earlier today the players' union walked away from mediation and collective bargaining and has initiated litigation against the clubs. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, our clubs offered a deal today that, among other things, was designed to have no adverse financial impact on veteran players in the early years, and would have met the players' financial demands in the latter years of the agreement.

The proposal we made included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee a reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

It was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players and guaranteed the long-term future for the fans of the great game we all love so much. It was a deal where everyone would prosper.

We remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached, and call on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

While we are disappointed with the union's actions, we remain steadfastly committed to reaching an agreement that serves the best interest of NFL players, clubs and fans, and thank you for your continued support of our league. First and foremost it is your passion for the game that drives us all, and we will not lose sight of this as we continue to work for a deal that works for everyone.

Yours,

Roger Goodell

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42039898/

Crash
03-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Dear Roger,

You had a deal that Dan Rooney called the best labor deal in sports and the owners still opted out of it.

Get bent, then resign.

Regards,

Crash

grotonsteel
03-11-2011, 11:00 PM
When does his 1 dollar salary kicks in???

I hope they make him work for a dollar a year.

fordfixer
03-12-2011, 12:30 AM

He would still be over payed

Blockhead
03-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Dear Roger,

You had a deal that Dan Rooney called the best labor deal in sports and the owners still opted out of it.

Get bent, then resign.

Regards,

Crash
I'm sure it was the best deal for the "labor."

hawaiiansteel
03-12-2011, 01:34 AM
NFL Issues Summary Of Proposal Rejected By NFLPA

by Michael Bean on Mar 11, 2011

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/944343/gyi0063904007.jpg

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 11: (L to R) New York Giants owner John Mara, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, and Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney II walk together as they depart after failing to reach an agreement in labor talks at the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service building March 11, 2011 in Washington, DC. Representatives from the National Football League (NFL) and National Football League Players' Association (NFLPA) continue to negotiate a labor dispute as a deadline looms at the end of a 7 day extension of talks. (Photo by Jonathan Ernst/Getty Images)

Again, it couldn't be more important to note who is issuing this very amalgamated summary. Just like the official statement released by the league this afternoon, the following summary of proposal filed by the league's impressive communications wing is packaged in a way that intentionally makes the league look in the right. More importantly than that though, a 10 bullet point summary of all that has been negotiated contentiously is clearly not a complete picture of the myriad numbers and minor details that are in play and clearly not yet mutually agreed on.

With all that said, let's take a look at the summary, which you can read in its entirety here.

1. We more than split the economic difference between us, increasing our proposed cap for 2011 significantly and accepting the Union's proposed cap number for 2014 ($161 million per club).

2. An entry level compensation system based on the Union's "rookie cap" proposal, rather than the wage scale proposed by the clubs. Under the NFL proposal, players drafted in rounds 2-7 would be paid the same or more than they are paid today. Savings from the first round would be reallocated to veteran players and benefits.

3. A guarantee of up to $1 million of a player's salary for the contract year after his injury - the first time that the clubs have offered a standard multi-year injury guarantee.

4. Immediate implementation of changes to promote player health and safety by:

Reducing the off-season program by five weeks, reducing OTAs from 14 to 10, and limiting on-field practice time and contact;

Limiting full-contact practices in the preseason and regular season; and
Increasing number of days off for players.

5. Commit that any change to an 18-game season will be made only by agreement and that the 2011 and 2012 seasons will be played under the current 16-game format.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... d-by-nflpa (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/3/11/2045457/nfl-issues-summary-of-proposal-rejected-by-nflpa)

grotonsteel
03-12-2011, 01:37 AM

:lol:

Discipline of Steel
03-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Dear Roger,
I would reduce your public exposure and hire some spokesperson to do it for you. Just seeing your globular, politicians face make me want to reject anything the league has to say.
Yours

Jooser
03-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Dear Roger,

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv300/morgennxtears/eat****bitches.jpg

Crash
03-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Dear Roger,

:tt1

hawaiiansteel
03-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Statement from Art Rooney II

I am very disappointed that we were not successful in reaching an agreement with the Players Association in the round of mediation that the Players Association walked away from on Friday. The NFL Owners put a very fair offer on the table that we felt provided the framework for completing an agreement.

The NFL is willing to negotiate an agreement that is fair to the players, our teams and our fans. We do not believe the decertification of the Players Association is a legitimate bargaining tactic, and we have asked the National Labor Relations Board to review the conduct of the Players Association.

I can assure our fans that we are committed to negotiating an agreement that will allow us to get back to football as soon as possible. I remain optimistic that eventually cooler heads will prevail and we will be back at the bargaining table in the near future.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 9ef75f55cd (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Statement-from-Art-Rooney-II/43e2d244-5cb2-43a1-a34d-529ef75f55cd)

Blockhead
03-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Dear Roger,

Anyone blaiming Roger = CLUELESS

Blockhead
03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
NFL Issues Summary Of Proposal Rejected By NFLPA

by Michael Bean on Mar 11, 2011

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/944343/gyi0063904007.jpg

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 11: (L to R) New York Giants owner John Mara, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, and Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney II walk together as they depart after failing to reach an agreement in labor talks at the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service building March 11, 2011 in Washington, DC. Representatives from the National Football League (NFL) and National Football League Players' Association (NFLPA) continue to negotiate a labor dispute as a deadline looms at the end of a 7 day extension of talks. (Photo by Jonathan Ernst/Getty Images)

Again, it couldn't be more important to note who is issuing this very amalgamated summary. Just like the official statement released by the league this afternoon, the following summary of proposal filed by the league's impressive communications wing is packaged in a way that intentionally makes the league look in the right. More importantly than that though, a 10 bullet point summary of all that has been negotiated contentiously is clearly not a complete picture of the myriad numbers and minor details that are in play and clearly not yet mutually agreed on.

With all that said, let's take a look at the summary, which you can read in its entirety here.

1. We more than split the economic difference between us, increasing our proposed cap for 2011 significantly and accepting the Union's proposed cap number for 2014 ($161 million per club).

2. An entry level compensation system based on the Union's "rookie cap" proposal, rather than the wage scale proposed by the clubs. Under the NFL proposal, players drafted in rounds 2-7 would be paid the same or more than they are paid today. Savings from the first round would be reallocated to veteran players and benefits.

3. A guarantee of up to $1 million of a player's salary for the contract year after his injury - the first time that the clubs have offered a standard multi-year injury guarantee.

4. Immediate implementation of changes to promote player health and safety by:

Reducing the off-season program by five weeks, reducing OTAs from 14 to 10, and limiting on-field practice time and contact;

Limiting full-contact practices in the preseason and regular season; and
Increasing number of days off for players.

5. Commit that any change to an 18-game season will be made only by agreement and that the 2011 and 2012 seasons will be played under the current 16-game format.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... d-by-nflpa (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/3/11/2045457/nfl-issues-summary-of-proposal-rejected-by-nflpa)
And the owners get the blame. $161 million cap in 2014 and still not good enough?

Crash
03-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Dear Roger,

Anyone blaiming Roger = CLUELESS

Goodell is garbage, the lockout is just the last straw of what a joke the league has become under his "leadership".

Blockhead
03-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Goodell is garbage, the lockout is just the last straw of what a joke the league has become under his "leadership".

This is the common view of the uninformed and those who lack basic business knowledge.

You don't see any owners complaining today, do you? Who's Roger work for?

grotonsteel
03-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Who's Roger work for?

Roger should be working for league not the owners.When you don't do your job you suck. Period.

He should have been working on this way before as Dan Rooney mentioned in his interview. But his pompous ar$e wanted a last minute deal.

Blockhead
03-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Who's Roger work for?

Roger should be working for league not the owners.When you don't do your job you suck. Period.

He should have been working on this way before as Dan Rooney mentioned in his interview. But his pompous ar$e wanted a last minute deal.

The owners and their survival and profitability IS THE LEAGUE. The owners aren't complaining and some have already stated they are glad the players turned down the last offer as they didn't want to offer that much.

The players are contracted employees, nothing more.

Crash
03-12-2011, 03:43 PM
The owners are locking out the players but they aren't complaining?

:roll:

Blockhead
03-12-2011, 03:51 PM
The owners are locking out the players but they aren't complaining?

:roll:

It's called negotiating. The union is attempting to de-certify, a clear sham. The owners are protecting themselves against financial harm and exposure to liabilities.

Again, anyone with an ounce of business sense knows this. The owners have made several attempts and counter offers. The players offered none and spent their time preparing a 58 page de-certification fraud lawsuit. They clearly had no intention of ever making a deal. Lawsuit was their only intention. Typical when you hire a idiot lawyer looking for face time to advance his political aspirations.

grotonsteel
03-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Who's Roger work for?

The owners and their survival and profitability IS THE LEAGUE. The owners aren't complaining and some have already stated they are glad the players turned down the last offer as they didn't want to offer that much.

The players are contracted employees, nothing more.

Again what has that got to do with the BADall job duties???

Crash
03-12-2011, 03:53 PM
It's called negotiating.

They had a deal. The owners opted out. Thus they were complaining.

Blockhead
03-12-2011, 03:56 PM
It's called negotiating.

They had a deal. The owners opted out. Thus they were complaining.

That was fully their right and they have given reasons as well as 10 years of team by team P + L statements to show those reasons.

They negotiated that right because they had these fears when they signed the original agreement.

Again, I urge you to read the CBA and educate yourself and stop guessing at the issues.

hawaiiansteel
03-12-2011, 03:59 PM
You don't see any owners complaining today, do you? Who's Roger work for?

http://www.pittsburghsportstavern.com/ArticlesGraphics/Jerry_Puppetmaster_Goodell.jpg

Crash
03-12-2011, 04:02 PM
This is the common view of the uninformed and those who lack basic business knowledge.

"The game is ruined"

-Ryan Clark Nov 2010

If you Cowher pole smokers are going to use Colbert's words as iron clad fact then you must do the same for Ryan Clark.

Blockhead
03-12-2011, 04:10 PM

"The game is ruined"

-Ryan Clark Nov 2010

If you Cowher pole smokers are going to use Colbert's words as iron clad fact then you must do the same for Ryan Clark.
It's pretty clear most of the players are un-informed or too stupid to digest facts.

The NFLPA statement, which is comical as they shouldn't be issueing statments as a union as they are "supposedly" not a union any longer. :insert laugh track here: Anyway, it says the players would go back to 2007 salaries when in reality the cap was agreed to rise to $161 million by 2014 and they turned it down. The cap was nowhere near even $120 million in 2007.

The players and their idiot "union" leader is attempting a sad PR campaign. The uniformed and those without an ounce of business sense are believing it.

Crash
03-12-2011, 05:09 PM
The cap was nowhere near even $120 million in 2007.

I would say that $109 mil in pretty close to $120 mil, no?

You're opinion means little, Ryan Clark says the game is ruined, so, the game is ruined.

You will hold yourself to the same standards you hold others to.

Blockhead
03-12-2011, 05:54 PM
The cap was nowhere near even $120 million in 2007.

I would say that $109 mil in pretty close to $120 mil, no?

You're opinion means little, Ryan Clark says the game is ruined, so, the game is ruined.

You will hold yourself to the same standards you hold others to.
I'd call it $11 million dollars, not close. Besides, the NFL's proposal had the cap in 2014 set to be $161 mill. Players said more, more, more. Almost 10% of the overall cap in 2007 is what it is.

As I said, learn the issues. You're ill-equipped to debate until you do so.

msp26505
03-12-2011, 09:39 PM
If I was a member of the owners camp, one of the first things I would do is start guerrilla warfare tactics by planting trolls on NFL team message boards to try and sway the opinions of the fans.

Ladies and Gentlemen, meet Blockhead.

hawaiiansteel
03-12-2011, 10:06 PM

Roger Goodell, Jeff Pash follow through on vow to slash salary to $1

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 12, 2011

In January, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and chief negotiator Jeff Pash promised to cut their pay to an annual salary of $1 during a work stoppage. They’ve followed through.

The Associated Press reports that Goodell, who makes about $10 million a year, and Pash, who makes about $5 million, are both going down to $1 until the lockout is over.

But Goodell and Pash are far from the only ones: Everyone who works at the league office in New York, at NFL Films, at NFL Network and at NFL.com is getting a 12 percent pay cut. Those folks make a lot less than $5 million a year.

I’m not sure how exactly a $1 salary works: Will Goodell and Pash get paychecks for two cents each week while the lockout is going on? Furthermore, I’m not sure how relevant the $1 annual salary really is: The owners may give Goodell and Pash a nice fat bonus check if they’re able to resolve the labor situation in a way that is good for the owners’ bottom line.

So this sounds more like a PR move than a real sacrifice.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... lary-to-1/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/12/roger-goodell-jeff-pash-follow-through-on-vow-to-slash-salary-to-1/)

Blockhead
03-12-2011, 10:08 PM
If I was a member of the owners camp, one of the first things I would do is start guerrilla warfare tactics by planting trolls on NFL team message boards to try and sway the opinions of the fans.

Yes, because the owners care or recognie one bit message boards? That's funny. They couldn't care less about what message boards are saying/have said/will say.

Steelgal
03-12-2011, 10:16 PM

Actually I thought maybe that was ole Rodge himself. He obviously has nothing better to do since he's already taken down America's #1 sport by his ineptness.

Blockhead
03-12-2011, 10:18 PM

Actually I thought maybe that was ole Rodge himself. He obviously has nothing better to do since he's already taken down America's #1 sport by his ineptness.
Taken it down? By helping the owners assure their ability to sustain and grow as a future?

Wow, I see we have another completely uninformed fan.

Steelgal
03-12-2011, 10:23 PM

Taken it down? By helping the owners assure their ability to sustain and grow as a future?

Yes, that's what ole Rodge has done....

Nevermind the fact that he has ZERO accountability when handing out fines/punishments for offenders. Nevermind that the league has so many new rules in place to protect the offense and hinder real defenses, that the game is now more like an arena-type atmosphere than it ever has before. Nevermind the fact that the officials who are suppose to police the game are as inconsistant as they come. And nevermind the fact that when caught cheating, instead of giving the Pats** a real punishment, they destroyed the tapes and gave them a slap on the wrist.

This commissioner is as big of a joke as you are. Now you go on ignore so I don't have to waste my time with your stupid babble.....

Blockhead
03-12-2011, 10:26 PM

Nevermind the fact that he has ZERO accountability when handing out fines/punishments for offenders. Nevermind that the league has so many new rules in place to protect the offense and hinder real defenses, that the game is now more like an arena-type atmosphere than it ever has before. Nevermind the fact that the officials who are suppose to police the game are as inconsistant as they come. And nevermind the fact that when caught cheating, instead of giving the Pats** a real punishment, they destroyed the tapes and gave them a slap on the wrist.

This commissioner is as big of a joke as you are. Now you go on ignore so I don't have to waste my time with your stupid babble.....
Spoken like a completely uninformed fan who lacks even the slightest clue of business knowledge.

Steelgal
03-12-2011, 10:54 PM

Spoken like a completely uninformed fan who lacks even the slightest clue of business knowledge.

Wow, that hurt...... Guess that 4 year degree I received in Business- Finance has let me down. You're clearly more of a astute business man that I am :Clap

hawaiiansteel
03-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Dean Spanos laments lockout, blames union

Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2011

Plenty of NFL teams have had plenty to say about the events of the Friday, and we’ve been sharing all of them with you, right here.

What the hell else are we going to talk about?

The latest to arrive in our “in” box comes from Chargers president Dean Spanos, one of the ten men who tried to negotiate a new labor deal.

“I’m extremely disappointed in the Union’s decision to decertify, which led to the League’s difficult but necessary step to lock out, something we tried hard to avoid,” Spanos said. “The most efficient way to get a new deal done is through mediation and negotiation; not through litigation. The lawyers are the only winners in litigation. The fans, players and teams all lose. Unfortunately this action by the Union only delays the process.”

We disagree with a couple of things Spanos said in that initial paragraph. Though the decision to decertify chronologically led to the decision to lock the players out, it didn’t causally lead to the lockout. With or without decertification and litigation, the league most likely would have implemented the lockout at midnight on March 12. The union’s actions merely give the league someone to blame other than the league itself.

“I’m disappointed for the fans who care about the Chargers and this game we all love. I feel badly for our players. They’re good men that just want to play football and win a championship, but they’re caught in the middle,” Spanos added.

We wonder whether Spanos will say the same thing after he moves the team to Los Angeles.

“I’m most disappointed in the actions of the Union’s leadership that is supposed to be representing all of our players. They clearly were not negotiating in good faith right from the beginning. I believe their intention all along was to decertify and bring us to litigation,” Spanos said.

Yes, but the union leadership believes that decertification and litigation will help the players get the best possible deal. This isn’t about DeMaurice Smith trying to max out his profile; not decertifying and taking a lockout would have done that. The players pursued the course of action that they thought would deliver the best outcome, and the league will do the same.

“The Chargers will continue to do everything within the League rules to prepare to win a championship,” Spanos said, implying a level of aggressiveness that no team can really employ, since there’s no envelope to really push when the players are locked out. “Currently we’re preparing for a very important draft and will be ready to take advantage of all opportunities to improve our team.” (During a lockout, the draft is the only opportunity to improve the team.)

“We will get through this,” Spanos said. “There will be a new agreement and we’re looking forward to playing football this season. In the end, the final result will be an agreement that is good for the fans, fair for the players and teams, and will allow this game to grow and prosper in San Diego.”

It’s way too early for Spanos to suggest that football will be played this season. “If the NFL manages to shoot down the decertification in court, the lockout will remain in force until the union caves in to the league’s demands. And if it means missing games, then games will be missed.

And then all the teams will issue statements expressing regret, and blaming the union for forcing the league’s hand.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... mes-union/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/12/dean-spanos-laments-lockout-blames-union/)

Blockhead
03-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Wow, that hurt...... Guess that 4 year degree I received in Business- Finance has let me down. You're clearly more of a astute business man that I am :Clap
No, no, you're clearly smarter than everyone, including those running NFL teams.

But, yeah, clearly.

hawaiiansteel
03-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Wow, that hurt...... Guess that 4 year degree I received in Business- Finance has let me down.

what's wrong with your degree? my 4 year degree in Business/Finance has never let me down, I pretty much am always right about everything... :D

Steelgal
03-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Wow, that hurt...... Guess that 4 year degree I received in Business- Finance has let me down.

what's wrong with your degree? my 4 year degree in Business/Finance has never let me down, I pretty much am always right about everything... :D

Nice read to start off my day :lol:

I don't know why I even tried to have a conversation with blockhead. He obviously knows all there is to know about the current NFL situation and I'm just an uninformed fan :lol:

Blockhead
03-13-2011, 11:30 AM

Nice read to start off my day :lol:

I don't know why I even tried to have a conversation with blockhead. He obviously knows all there is to know about the current NFL situation and I'm just an uninformed fan :lol:
Judging by your comments, I highly doubt you have even read the CBA.

Having a degree is only as good as what you do with it. If you truly have a degree, are a business owner and knew the issues at hand, you wouldn't have your position.

SteelTorch
03-13-2011, 11:32 AM

Now now now....we got to give ol' Roger credit for the great things he has accomplished to improve the league - like moving the Pro Bowl to before the Superbowl. :lol:

Scarletfire1970
03-13-2011, 12:25 PM

Spoken like a completely uninformed fan who lacks even the slightest clue of business knowledge.Please educate us on your superior business knowledge. This CPA would greatly appreciate your expertise on this subject. Thanks in advance.

msp26505
03-13-2011, 03:12 PM

Yes, because the owners care or recognie one bit message boards? That's funny. They couldn't care less about what message boards are saying/have said/will say.

Good thinking. Try to convince us that the owners aren't the problem by insulting the intelligence of the folks who pay to see your product.

Well...I've been a fan since 1975, but this bastardized version of the game I once loved is not worth me caring whether you resolve this quickly or even at all.

So go ahead and continue to overplay your hand and let the whole thing fall apart...I effin' dare you.

I once cared about baseball, too.

Blockhead
03-13-2011, 04:11 PM
I once cared about baseball, too.
Goodbye

hawaiiansteel
03-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Now now now....we got to give ol' Roger credit for the great things he has accomplished to improve the league - like moving the Pro Bowl to before the Superbowl. :lol:

yeah, thanks a lot Rog...thanks to your brilliant idea I didn't get to see any Pittsburgh Steelers in the Pro Bowl this year. :moon

DukieBoy
03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Dear Roger,

Dick Lebeau
Dick Lebeau
Dick Lebeau

Dayum!

Anyway, I was hoping for a letter of resignation and all I got was this piece of ****. (Goodell's letter, that is).

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2011, 03:19 AM
Blame for mess NFL finds itself in must start with Goodell

By Mike Freeman
CBSSports.com National Columnist
March 13, 2011

It was December, and the clock was still ticking. Yes, remember when there was still a labor clock? There was hope Laborgeddon could be avoided. Roger Goodell met with a small group of fans in Foxborough, Mass., and was asked if peace could be brokered.

"I think it's critically important to avoid" a work stoppage, Goodell said in remarks to the media after his talk with fans. "We need to have a system that works for everybody, but I think everybody would agree that what's most important is football, and that we should work very hard to avoid that."

When Goodell took over for Paul Tagliabue as commissioner in September of 2006, his sole job in many ways was to avoid the disastrous circumstances the league faces today. Obviously, he failed.

It's not a coincidence the NFL is experiencing its first work stoppage in nearly a quarter of a century during the Reign of Goodell.

Goodell is a good man with solid intentions. But his reputation for heavy-handedness with the players over the past few years -- the excessive punishments, the harsh suspensions -- led to a level of distrust that carried into negotiations, several players say.

The distrust in Goodell has been building for years -- not weeks -- and the failed talks were a symptom. As Goodell suspended players for entire seasons, union player reps watched. As Goodell sometimes displayed an attitude that he was a king and they were serfs, players watched. As Goodell and the owners asked for a cool $1 billion refund without giving a detailed explanation why a league swimming in an orgy of cash was suddenly broke, they watched some more. When Carolina owner Jerry Richardson was condescending in meetings with the players they ... watched.

After the bungled attempt to use television money as a lockout fund became public, anger and distrust, building for some time in the player ranks, mixed into a highly volatile brew, several players said in interviews with CBSSports.com over the past week. The distance between Goodell and some players may in fact now be impossible to close.

There was one example of that anger after mediation collapsed. In a news conference, league lawyer Jeff Pash stated a litany of things owners were said to have offered the players. One person close to the players association responded bluntly: "Pash lies and Goodell isn't doing [expletive] about it." A player added: "Pash is standing there saying things he knows aren't true, and Roger is right there, not stopping it."

"Jeff Pash lied," NFLPA lawyer Jim Quinn said. "Jeff Pash lied to the players, he lied to the fans."

Criticism of Goodell is mostly muted in the press, because unlike Tagliabue, the current commissioner has an extraordinarily friendly relationship with many in the football media.

In fairness to Goodell, it does take two to get a deal done. But Goodell and the owners clearly took the hard-ass route, and doing so with a bunch of athletes who compete for a living, failing to realize their testosterone levels would rise considerably, was a huge mistake.

This doesn't mean Goodell should have caved. It just means he took a different approach from Tagliabue, and it didn't work.

NFLPA leader DeMaurice Smith is different from predecessor Gene Upshaw and Goodell is different from Tagliabue, so it's difficult to compare one set of leaders to another. Still, Tagliabue was adept at keeping the anger and distrust at minimal levels when dealing with the union. One former union rep compared Tagliabue to Bill Clinton (minus the bimbo eruptions) in that Tagliabue could get almost anyone to listen to his viewpoint.

The odd thing about Tagliabue's legacy (he should be in the Hall of Fame) is that the media portrayed him as a cold automaton. Privately, he was anything but. Tagliabue gained Upshaw's trust while Goodell never truly earned Smith's.

Tagliabue accomplished two things Goodell couldn't. First, Tagliabue didn't try to steamroll the players. Second, he kept the angry owners away from the process. Most of the meetings with Upshaw involved small groups of negotiating teams. There was more communication. There was also more give and take.

I'm absolutely convinced that if Tagliabue was commissioner, a deal would've been consummated. There's no question about it.

Now, everything moves to the court system. It should have never gone this far and hasn't for many years. But here we are. Here we go. There is plenty of blame, but Goodell's primary mission was to stop this.

And he failed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1480 ... th-goodell (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14807250/blame-for-mess-nfl-finds-itself-in-must-start-with-goodell)

Oviedo
03-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Goodell was public enemy #1 this past season but Demarcus Smith has now secured that position as the one person who will do the most to destroy the NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Tagliabue > Goodell

Upshaw > Smith

Tags and Gene worked together toward what was best for the health of the league as a whole. Once upon a time, they were partners working together toward a common goal.

Rog and Dee butt heads to the point that neither side trusts anything the other side says. Now one side locks the other out, who responds with a lawsuit and a court date.

Both sides are at fault here...they each share a considerable portion of the blame for the mess we are in right now.

To use a common PlanetSteelers football analogy, saying that it is all the union's fault (or all the owner's fault, for that matter) is sort of like laying the blame for a loss solely at the feet of Bruce Arians while completely ignoring a leaky secondary, for instance.

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Goodell: NFL's CBA offer might not stay on table

Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Owners haven't talked about using replacement players if the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987 stretches on, Commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday, and the league might not keep its last contract offer on the table if bargaining doesn't resume soon.
"We have not had any discussions or consideration of replacement players," Goodell said at a news conference closing the annual owners meetings. "It hasn't been discussed, it hasn't been considered, and it's not in our plans."

He also said the Miami Dolphins and four other teams have been fined or been told the NFL is investigating them for violating offseason rules prohibiting contact with players. Goodell was asked specifically about the Dolphins; he did not reveal other teams involved.

NFL general counsel Jeff Pash said the violations aren't related to the league's lockout of players, which began March 12, hours after negotiations with the players broke off, and the union dissolved. Even during normal offseasons, from the end of one season until around March 15, NFL rules bar teams from holding organized workouts, practice or meetings, and don't allow position coaches to supervise players.
"It's a 'go home and relax' period," Pash said.

Since the lockout began, no contact between the league's 32 clubs and players has been allowed. Players don't get paid and can't negotiate new contracts; they aren't allowed to use team facilities.

Goodell said he hasn't spoken to NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith since March 11, when talks ended after 16 days of federal mediation.

Owners made a proposal that day that included an increase in their 2011 salary cap offer from $131 million to $141 million; the players had been seeking a $151 million cap for that year, plus a chance to earn a percentage of any higher-than-projected revenues above a certain threshold.

"Every day that goes by," Goodell said, "makes it harder and harder to keep the elements in that proposal."

Six days after that proposal was made, Goodell outlined some of the specifics in an e-mail sent to all active players.

Some players complained about Goodell's letter, saying it was meant to divide them. They also objected to the letter's suggestion that players push their "union to return to the bargaining table" _ the NFLPA renounced its status as a union and says it is now a trade association. That, in turn, permitted players to sue the league in federal court under antitrust laws. A hearing is scheduled for April 6.

Asked Tuesday why he sent that letter, Goodell replied: "What the ownership wanted to make sure is that the players knew what their leadership had walked away from in the mediation process. So we sent that directly to the players. As you know, they're claiming not to be a union, but we think it was important to send that so the players understood what the owners had offered."

The NFL hasn't lost games to a work stoppage since 1987, when a strike shortened the season and some games included nonunion replacement players.

Goodell said owners want to have a complete 2011 season, and repeated his hope that negotiations will resume _ perhaps before the draft begins April 28.

The "primary focus" of the two days of meetings in New Orleans, Goodell said, was "our labor dispute and our planning and preparation on that."

"We are certainly planning on having a full season," he said. "That's our objective, and we're going to work as hard as we can to make that become a reality."

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steel ... 142ab.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/goodell-nfl-s-cba-offer-might-not-stay-on-table/article_cddf8966-30fd-5651-bca6-d81049b142ab.html)

feltdizz
03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Goodell was public enemy #1 this past season but Demarcus Smith has now secured that position as the one person who will do the most to destroy the NFL.

Goodell is and will always be enemy #1. Whoever was in Smith's position would look like a hard azzzz because he has to deal with the hardest azzzz of all. Goodell.

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Goodell is and will always be enemy #1. Whoever was in Smith's position would look like a hard azzzz because he has to deal with the hardest azzzz of all. Goodell.

That old British dude on Dancing with the Stars thought Hines had a hard azzzz. :wink:

hawaiiansteel
03-24-2011, 02:57 PM
And now, a message from Al Davis

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 24, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/al-davis.jpg?w=145

Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune wrote such a nifty post on Wednesday that we wanted to pass it along.

He relayed a story from Bill Parcells, who was asked what he learned from Al Davis.

“Nobody cares,” Parcells said. “Nobody cares about your injuries or your problems. All they want to know on Monday is if you won.”

That message can absolutely applied to the current labor situation. Fans don’t care about the league’s problems. Or the players’ problems.

Let’s face it: They are the problems of a sport that doesn’t have real financial problems. They are good problems.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell seems to understand this. In a story relayed by Peter King in Monday Morning Quarterback this week, Goodell made a phone call to a faithful caller “Benny” of SIRIUS radio. (Goodell often contacts fans directly that contact the league.)

Goodell’s message: “He told me, ‘Don’t take sides,”’ Benny said.

It’s a great message we’d like to hear more. For the majority of fans, every word that comes from the players or owners until an agreement happens is just noise.

Nobody cares about the the owners or players’ problems. We just want a win.

In this case, that’s an agreement.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -al-davis/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/24/and-now-a-message-from-al-davis/)

Discipline of Steel
03-26-2011, 06:31 AM
Ah, so the Creepshow Ghoul finally chimes in with some actual common sense. Nobody cares about your perspective, just get it done. (I also think he resembles the world's ugliest dog...photoshop please!)

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Jags owner thinks league will win April 6 hearing

Posted by Mike Florio on March 27, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/wayneweavergetty-e1301281019897.jpg?w=219

We’ve sensed over the past week a strong reluctance by the NFL to engage the players in settlement talks, and we think it flows from a sudden and strong sense of confidence that the owners will prevail in the April 6 hearing on the motion to lift the lockout while the Brady antitrust case unfolds.

Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver has confirmed our suspicions.

“The reality of that is we think we’ll win, but if we don’t, we’re still going to get back to the negotiating table,” Weaver recently said, according to Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union. “It’ll just be how soon and when. Once we get back to the negotiating table, we all know that we have to play football in 2011. That’s our bottom line.”

Weaver also referred to the players who have given their names to the class action against the league as the “gang of 10,” and Weaver referred on several occasions to the decertification of the union as a “sham.”

Still, Weaver thinks the parties eventually will be talking again.

“It’s obvious there will be some leverage to whichever side prevails,” Weaver said. “But I don’t think it will keep from getting a deal done that’s fair to both sides. I think the offer that was on the table when the union decertified, I thought it was an extremely fair offer. Did it have all the tweaks that the players wanted? Probably not. We should’ve stayed at the negotiating table until those things got ironed out.”

The two sides can get back to the table right now, if they want. In our view, the owners don’t want to do it, because the owners think they’ll win the April 6 hearing, and that this will give them more leverage when the time comes to talk again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 6-hearing/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/27/jags-owner-thinks-league-will-win-april-6-hearing/)

birtikidis
03-28-2011, 12:06 AM
I think they're both a$$holes, so, in disagreeing with you, realize that I agree with you. but how do you become the #1 a$$hole? Take over a league where the CBA has been opted out on and not make any effort to do anything but change the game. Since God became the commish all he's done is prod the players. Fine the hell out of them with inconsistent rules interpretations and vilify them. The players were backed in a corner from day one with the opting out of the CBA and ever since the league has tried to strong arm them with fines.

feltdizz
03-28-2011, 09:29 AM
I think they're both a$$holes, so, in disagreeing with you, realize that I agree with you. but how do you become the #1 a$$hole? Take over a league where the CBA has been opted out on and not make any effort to do anything but change the game. Since God became the commish all he's done is prod the players. Fine the hell out of them with inconsistent rules interpretations and vilify them. The players were backed in a corner from day one with the opting out of the CBA and ever since the league has tried to strong arm them with fines.

exactly... I find it odd that a commish that everyone thinks is the worst ever is somehow not representing the owners wishes and is this lone wolf.

Goodell is the face of the owners and they are screwing up a perfectly good product so they can grab all the money.

Not to get political but corporations are making the highest profits EVER while unemployment numbers are through the roof. The NFL isn't hurting... they aren't in the red. They just want more and more because it's what billionaires do. They hoard cash.