Noel Devine out of WVU

College Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Vs_FLVF3E

High School Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vHcOI7uxQU&feature=fvst

PSU_dropout43
03-11-2011, 04:53 AM
NO! mountaineers are weak.

http://media.al.com/birmingham-news-sports/photo/pat-white-0103jpg-2629ff358300adf8_large.jpg

steelblood
03-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Our 3rd down back is primarily a blocker who must be able to take on DE's and 3-4 OLBs. Devine is simply too small to do so effectively.

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Our 3rd down back is primarily a blocker who must be able to take on DE's and 3-4 OLBs. Devine is simply too small to do so effectively.

Thats an incorrect statement if I ever heard of one. Our 3rd down back primarily CHIPS a DE and goes out on a route. See Mewelde and Mendenhall. You underestimate Devines strength.

Oh by the way he is an exceptional blocker and deceptively strong as he benched 225 at the combine 26 times (3 times more than Heisman winner Mark Ingram)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Steelers are interested in him. Just don't label him as a 3rd down back because he is not that. Label him as a change of pace back. And yes, he will see the field on 3rd down but it will be to create personel mismatches. "Arians plan"...How unusual.

Having Redman & Devine hit the field on 3rd medium in a 20 personel will draw nickel with the threat of run. Redman is your guy who stays in and Devine coming out of the backfield is a mismatch. Now basicly you have 4 wide going against a nickel. If the defense counters 20 with Dime then audible to a draw, sweep out of shotgun, or screen.

Now, 3rd & short coming out in 21 or 22 personel with Redmen & Devine in the backfield could draw base or if they want to commit suicide even goaline. Lets see a LB or S stay on Devine 1 on 1. Remember, even though the voice from above said "more dedicated to the run game" we have seen that BA still likes to play a chess game when you think he will "flex the muscle" of the offense on 3rd & short.

Devine stature is slight but he is not afraid to run between the tackles. The kid is put together, he did 24 reps of 225 at the combine. When you have a kid at 5'8" who probably has 4.4 or better speed even on the field...Will probably show a 3.9 on his 20s & below 6.5 on his cone....When a LB loses him behind the OL & DL for that split second...That is all he needs to get his shoulders square when he hits the corner. I for one would love to see him on the team but I think it will take our 3rd to get him. I think he goes somewhere in the 4th before we pick and if things don't happen the way the Steelers want early, they might not even have a 3rd or still be looking for a CB or DL. So he may be a luxury the Steelers can't afford come draft time.

Maybe he has a poor proday and things change. :wink:

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Most excellent post bro :tt1

The Sodfather
03-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Just think Darren Sproles. Speed, speed, and more speed is what the game is about now.

However, there will be times he needs to stick his nose in and pick up a LB or DB in pass pro.

Oviedo
03-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Not interested in Amos Zereoue II

Devine had major character issues coming out of HS and I'm not sure he has put all that behind him.

If we are looking at another RB, which I don't think we are, look at Mario Fannin out of Auburn.

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 09:31 AM

Devine had major character issues coming out of HS and I'm not sure he has put all that behind him.

If we are looking at another RB, which I don't think we are, look at Mario Fannin out of Auburn.

Devine is NO famous Amous. What character issues did he have coming out of HS?

Those issues were that he had 2 or 3 kids. The kid had a tough life (Lost both parents to death)

He had zero "character issues" at WVU

If he did have some then please list them.

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 09:33 AM
The Steelers feel like I do about him as they have interviewed him several times. So much for those "character issues"

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-11-2011, 09:34 AM

An underachiever who put up measureables at the combine? Not a good choice. At least not head to head for a 3rd or 4th. But if you want to burn a 6th or 7th on him...I'm all in. The Auburn staff is still scratching theirs heads why Fanin never lived up to his potential and that would be a concern for me as well.

Flasteel
03-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Noel Devine was a punk of epic proportions coming out of N. Ft. Myers High. Deion Sanders took him in and the kid wound up robbing him, stealing his car, and returning here. Sure he's talented (despite the fact that we shut him DOWN his senior year in the playoffs), but I would dig very deep into this young man's psyche before burning any pick on him. I hope he's turned it around, but he wouldn't be the first WVA player to escape from Morgantown and begin unleashing their thuggery on society.

steelblood
03-11-2011, 09:46 AM

Thats an incorrect statement if I ever heard of one. Our 3rd down back primarily CHIPS a DE and goes out on a route. See Mewelde and Mendenhall. You underestimate Devines strength.

Oh by the way he is an exceptional blocker and deceptively strong as he benched 225 at the combine 26 times (3 times more than Heisman winner Mark Ingram)

On 3rd down, our back's primary focus is on blocking. If there is a blitz, it is his responsibility to find it. It has been that way for 3-4 years. Now, if there is no blitz, he may chip and release.

As Nasty said, Devine isn't a true 3rd down back. Devine will be a KR and change of pace guy. He is strong and tough, but 180 pound guys will be taken advantage of as pass blockers. He can see the field on some third downs, but he just isn't build for the job.

Finally, our field is not a good match for Devine's skill set. He'd be great in a dome or on fast field turf.

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Its mighty ironic that Sanders wanted to adopt him in HS.

Its mighty funny Sanders is still close to the youngman as Devine admitted at the combine.

Sensationalism will get you nowhere

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 09:50 AM

On 3rd down, our back's primary focus is on blocking. If there is a blitz, it is his responsibility to find it. It has been that way for 3-4 years. Now, if there is no blitz, he may chip and release.

As Nasty said, Devine isn't a true 3rd down back. Devine will be a KR and change of pace guy. He is strong and tough, but 180 pound guys will be taken advantage of as pass blockers. He can see the field on some third downs, but he just isn't build for the job.

Finally, our field is not a good match for Devine's skill set. He'd be great in a dome.

Uh The Steelers agree with ME and not you as they are very high on the guy and have interviewed him several times. But like me, what do they know? LOL

Oviedo
03-11-2011, 09:52 AM

An underachiever who put up measureables at the combine? Not a good choice. At least not head to head for a 3rd or 4th. But if you want to burn a 6th or 7th on him...I'm all in. The Auburn staff is still scratching theirs heads why Fanin never lived up to his potential and that would be a concern for me as well.

I wouldn't consider Fannin before Round 6. We don't need a RB before then.

Flasteel
03-11-2011, 09:54 AM

Its mighty funny Sanders is still close to the youngman as Devine admitted at the combine.

Sensationalism? The kid has a very troubled past and I would look into it very carefully if I was considering throwing a ton of cash in his direction. That's it.

I've seen him on coaches tapes and in person and he's an explosive talent. He's also got a potentially explosive personal life.

Oviedo
03-11-2011, 09:55 AM

Sensationalism? The kid has a very troubled past and I would look into it very carefully if I was considering throwing a ton of cash in his direction. That's it.

I've seen him on coaches tapes and in person and he's an explosive talent. He's also got a potentially explosive personal life.

I see the potential for Pac Man II

Chadman
03-11-2011, 10:07 AM
The Steelers feel like I do about him as they have interviewed him several times. So much for those "character issues"

Wow....that one interview at the combine turned into several?

Chadman thinks that you may be prone to sensationalism to prove a point..

calmkiller
03-11-2011, 10:08 AM
I have watched every game that Devine has play in college. He was never used the way a 3rd down back would be used in the NFL. He almost never stayed in to pick up a blitzer. I mean he has, but that wasn't his primary function. He was capable, but it will be an area that he needs to work on for the next level.

Injuries will be a concern at the next level, but his ability with the ball in his hands should never be questioned.

calmkiller
03-11-2011, 10:11 AM

What character issues? The fact that he stole a car from Deion Sanders when he was 17? He had no character issues at WVU. Your concerns have no concrete backing IMO on this one. If we were talking about Jock Sanders I would agree with you 100%. But since Noel came to WVU he has been fine. Both of his parents died from AIDS before he was 12. He had no place to live. If those are character concerns then God help you.

Chadman
03-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Of course- there is one other solution to the Steelers RB situation...you could resign Mewelde Moore, who IS a good 3rd down back, use Redman as the back-up & have Dwyer as the reserve...

OR...you could draft a midget.

Oviedo
03-11-2011, 10:18 AM

What character issues? The fact that he stole a car from Deion Sanders when he was 17? He had no character issues at WVU. Your concerns have no concrete backing IMO on this one. If we were talking about Jock Sanders I would agree with you 100%. But since Noel came to WVU he has been fine. Both of his parents died from AIDS before he was 12. He had no place to live. If those are character concerns then God help you.

Really. Nothing at WVU. How about "no contest" plea to battery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3292510

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm good with Mendenhall as our #1, Redman as our #2, and Dwyer as our #3. Any RB we draft would likely be inactive on gameday.

Although it would be funny to reunite Wes Lyons and Noel Devine:

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/7783/noeldevineqq8.jpg

Just kidding...here is the real pic:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eZa4sRb2u1m2/340x.jpg

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-11-2011, 10:20 AM

I wouldn't consider Fannin before Round 6. We don't need a RB before then.
I agree. I don't see any point of drafting a RB higher than the 6th. If Devine or Fanin dropped, I would have no problem because they would be the best on the board.

calmkiller
03-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Really. Nothing at WVU. How about "no contest" plea to battery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3292510

Ah I stand corrected. I had completely missed Devine was a part of that group. I thought it was Sanders and Defensive backs. My fault.

Devine was only 3 months old when his father died in 1988 of complications from AIDS,[25] and 11 years old when his mother also died of AIDS.[25] Custody passed to his maternal grandmother, but the two were not compatible. Eventually, Noel moved in with Liz and Robert Harlow Sr, parents of one of Noel's friends.[26] Devine himself is the father of two children by two different women.[27] He was also witness to a shooting in late 2004, in which one of his friends, 15 year old Rashard Patterson, was killed by a shotgun blast to the chest.

I don't think he has any character concerns, even with the bar fight.

Shawn
03-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Yeah Devine was on my latest mock, so I wholeheartedly agree. I think this kid will be special at the next level.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I believe that was Devine's freshman year when he was part of that incident. Could be a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people (Jock). So if I look at that and he learned from that incident and did not get in trouble again...Maybe this is a sign of maturity.

Things that happened when he was a teenager are also discussed and should be. There are many prospects with issues in their chilhoods that are brought up during the interview process. Teams are more concerned with the maturity level of the player as he enters the NFL and if those issues are in the past. It is all part of the process. Steelers have been very efficient in reviewing characters in this process. We will only know if he is selected how they really feel. Blount was interviewed last year and the Steelers showed an interest. Blount went undrafted but the Steelers decided to go with Dwyer. Does that mean they felt he wasn't matured enough or Steeler material? We will never know.

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 11:28 AM

You SAY THAT but you havent provided any proof

LINK PLEASE

LOL

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 11:30 AM
He has better Character than Ben Roethlisberger but Ben gets a pass.

I GET IT

LOL

Chadman
03-11-2011, 11:38 AM

I GET IT

LOL

Got any proof of that? Link?

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 11:41 AM

I GET IT

LOL

Yes sir. Read and weep

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5121614

Chadman
03-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Excellent. A link to Ben's suspension.

Can you please point to the spot that shows where Noel Devine has better charachter than Ben? You know- that 'proof' bit?

No charges laid against Mr Roethlisberger.

All I see in conjecture & heresay- not proof.

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Uh Ben was suspended for his bad character and abuse of the Conduct code.

Has Devine been suspended?

Present your proof if you are truthful.

Nice semantical spin though

LOL

Chadman
03-11-2011, 11:51 AM

LOL

As far as I'm aware, Noel Devine is not, and has never been, an NFL player. So to compare NFL suspensions is kind of irrelevant, wouldn't you say?

Can you also point to the section where it says 'you can be suspended for being of bad character' ?

And once you have done that- please point to the 'proof' that Noel Devine is, as you claim, of better character than Ben Roethlisberger. Not OPINION, but PROOF. You know the meaning of that word, don't you?

Flasteel
03-11-2011, 12:04 PM

I GET IT

LOL

Yes sir. Read and weep

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5121614

http://images.craigslist.org/3na3k23me5V65T65Q1b23eae7945ce13312cf.jpg

Jooser
03-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Devine would be a good pickup for us in the 3rd round or later. He would be an excellent change-of-pace back. He had no issues getting into trouble at WVU. People can change.

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 12:27 PM

LOL

As far as I'm aware, Noel Devine is not, and has never been, an NFL player. So to compare NFL suspensions is kind of irrelevant, wouldn't you say?

Can you also point to the section where it says 'you can be suspended for being of bad character' ?

And once you have done that- please point to the 'proof' that Noel Devine is, as you claim, of better character than Ben Roethlisberger. Not OPINION, but PROOF. You know the meaning of that word, don't you?

Devine was at the NFL COMBINE dont NFL players go there? How come College elgible players were not present? DO TELL LOL

NFL suspension or ANY suspension shows a pattern of behavior and since you cant site ANY suspension for Devine renders you DEFEATED in your quest to say he has bad character.

Ben has been suspended and Devine has NOT

PROOF

LOL

Eddie Spaghetti
03-11-2011, 12:38 PM
being invited to the combine doesn't make you an NFL player.

that is just absurd.

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 12:42 PM
I NEVER said it did. I merely said that how come college elgible players cant go? Do tell.

Its called the NFL COMBINE for NFL PLAYERS. Present at the combine were NFL COACHES, SCOUTS, GM'S AND DOCTORS

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Eddie Spaghetti
03-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Devine was at the NFL COMBINE dont NFL players go there?

this is what you said.

and its absurd.

Oviedo
03-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Devine was at the NFL COMBINE dont NFL players go there?

this is what you said.

and its absurd.

Don't engage the TROLL

The only way to get rid of them is to ignore them

they are attention-whores who just stir up things to get a rise out on members of the board.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-11-2011, 01:01 PM
:Cheers

msp26505
03-11-2011, 01:06 PM
You probably know by now that I'm a WVU guy.

Devine's character is not a worry for me. While he may not have a spotless record, he's gotten his act together for the most part in college. That's not the issue.

The issue is that he has always had way more speed than the defenders he was trying to beat. As a result, he never learned (and under the weak Bill Stewart regime, apparently was never TAUGHT) how to hit the hole quickly. He dances around while he will occasionally break the big run, more often than not will get tackled for a loss.

On the next level, he won't be able to outrun the defenders, either.

I'd pass.

And PSU_dropout, :moon