PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin & Colbert visit Miami pro day

PSU_dropout43
03-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Virtual Who's Who of NFL expected at Miami ProDay

Though the top Hurricane prospects invited to the Combine -- cornerback Brandon Harris, defensive lineman Allen Bailey, wide receiver Leonard Hankerson, linebacker Colin McCarthy, offensive lineman Orlando Franklin, running back Graig Cooper and cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke, among them -- aren't expected to perform the measurables at today's Pro Day, a virtual Who's Who of NFL personnel is expected to be hand to see them perform their positional drills.

Head coaches Bill Belichick, Jack Del Rio, Tony Sparano, Mike Tomlin and Raheem Morris and high ranking front office personnel Gene Smith (Jaguars), Jeff Ireland (Dolphins), Kevin Colbert (Steelers) and Mark Dominik (Bucs), among many others are expected to attend this morning's workouts, according to Miami's official athletic website . According to Hurricanes' staff, 29 of the 32 NFL teams will be represented, with only the Detroit Lions, Kansas City Chiefs and Tennessee Titans not on the list. The Patriots have the largest contingent in Miami, with no less than seven representatives having checked in.

Interestingly enough, the Ravens and Jets have their wide receiver coaches on hand (Jim Hostler, Henry Ellard, respectively). Each club is thought to be high on Hankerson and may be considering the Miami receiver with their first round pick.

There are also a host of former Miami stars on hand to watch the workout, including Warren Sapp, Bernie Kosar, Willis McGahee, Jimmy Graham, Greg Olsen and DJ Williams.

Chadman
03-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Guess that means Brandon Harris is on the Steelers list...

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Guess that means Brandon Harris is on the Steelers list...

hopefully our coaching staff is checking out every CB eligible for this draft, none of us want to watch Anthony Madison playing pass defense ever again and most of us would love to see someone else starting opposite Ike.

Steelers Mike Tomlin Present For Miami Hurricanes Pro Day

It should be no surprise that Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin is in South Florida today at the University of Miami Pro Day. Tomlin is for sure taking a closer look at cornerback Brandon Harris. Harris had a good showing at the NFL Combine recently and is certainly one of the top 5 corners in this years draft class. Harris most likely would contribute as a nickel corner first for any team that drafts him, with hopes of eventually moving outside. The Steelers most certainly will be in the market for one, if not two corners in the draft depending how free agency shakes out with Ike Taylor and William Gay.

Harris was not the only player the Steelers have their eye on down in Miami as senior offensive lineman Orlando Franklin has also talked to the Steelers over the past few days according to Omar Kelly of the Sun Sentinel. Franklin likely projects at guard at the next level and despite having underwent knee surgery 6 weeks before the combine, he did took part in most of the drills. Franklin is projected as an early to mid-round second round pick by most of the scouting services.

The Pro Day was shortened by storm showers and lightning in the area and UM has postponed the remainder of the Pro Day workouts until March 25 at 9 a.m. Eastern. Several players had just started their workouts and will have A chance to participate in any drills they had not already completed later in the month.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/st ... s-pro-day/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/steelers-mike-tomlin-present-for-miami-hurricanes-pro-day/)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-11-2011, 09:21 AM
It is obvious Harris is on the radar. I just hope that if they can't trade up & Pouncey is off the board, the trade out of the 1st to a team still looking for a QB and take him in the second.

Franklin is the one I really hope they are looking at. I was going to mention him if someone didn't post. He looks good on film. He has the versatility the Steelers like. He could come in and play RG (hopefully) by next year and eventually kick outside to RT when Adams retires. I just wish this dam CBA would get done because so much hinges on what they decide to do with Colon, Taylor, and FA. If they get Taylor locked up they should dip into FA for another CB like Marshall or Wright who should be UFA if the UFA stays at 4 years. That would give the Steelers some great flexibility in this upcoming draft to really just make some waves and really get some quality young players because the immediate need list got smaller.

Oviedo
03-11-2011, 09:26 AM
It is obvious Harris is on the radar. I just hope that if they can't trade up & Pouncey is off the board, the trade out of the 1st to a team still looking for a QB and take him in the second.

Franklin is the one I really hope they are looking at. I was going to mention him if someone didn't post. He looks good on film. He has the versatility the Steelers like. He could come in and play RG (hopefully) by next year and eventually kick outside to RT when Adams retires. I just wish this dam CBA would get done because so much hinges on what they decide to do with Colon, Taylor, and FA. If they get Taylor locked up they should dip into FA for another CB like Marshall or Wright who should be UFA if the UFA stays at 4 years. That would give the Steelers some great flexibility in this upcoming draft to really just make some waves and really get some quality young players.

I think Franklin would be a good pick up. I'd be curious to find out whether Kugler is there.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-11-2011, 09:37 AM

Franklin is the one I really hope they are looking at. I was going to mention him if someone didn't post. He looks good on film. He has the versatility the Steelers like. He could come in and play RG (hopefully) by next year and eventually kick outside to RT when Adams retires. I just wish this dam CBA would get done because so much hinges on what they decide to do with Colon, Taylor, and FA. If they get Taylor locked up they should dip into FA for another CB like Marshall or Wright who should be UFA if the UFA stays at 4 years. That would give the Steelers some great flexibility in this upcoming draft to really just make some waves and really get some quality young players.

I think Franklin would be a good pick up. I'd be curious to find out whether Kugler is there.
That's a good point. Position coaches & coordinators usually give some clues about who they are looking at as well. I didn't see any mention of them. Just that both were interviewed.

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 09:56 AM
We WILL NOT draft an OL in the 1st round. Tomlin has proved that his passion is SKILL PLAYERS and I agree with that. You can always get good lineman in the later rounds

Chadman
03-11-2011, 10:03 AM
We WILL NOT draft an OL in the 1st round. Tomlin has proved that his passion is SKILL PLAYERS and I agree with that. You can always get good lineman in the later rounds

Chadman is going to guess that Maurkice Pouncey & Ziggy Hood are the exceptions that prove the rule...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-11-2011, 10:54 AM

Chadman is going to guess that Maurkice Pouncey & Ziggy Hood are the exceptions that prove the rule...

Lol
And to think...It wasn't like he had alot of research to do before making that statement since Tomlin has been apart of so many drafts. Also Scalaid, have the Steelers had great success in later rounds with these "good interior lineman"? Kemo was drafted in 2005 and we haven't found a RG since then. Look at OL drafted by the Steelers since 2000 from the 3rd round down. We won't count Chris Scott because we don't know how he will pan out. But hey...23% of the OL picked by the Steelers from round 3-7 have become starters. I'm not sure what your definition of "good lineman" is but...How can you like those kind of numbers.

Starters:
Willie Colon
Chris Kemo
Max Starks

Others:
Trai Essex
Marvin Phillip
Caneron Stepenson
Tony Hills
AQ SHipley
Kraig Urbik
Bo Lacy
Drew Caylor
Mathia Nkwenti
Chukky Okobi

steelerkeylargo
03-11-2011, 12:27 PM
I will have a report on Orlando Franklin sometime next week. I will tell you that he is at best a 3rd round prospect and in my opinion no better than Ramon Foster.

Shawn
03-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Franklin is the one I really hope they are looking at. I was going to mention him if someone didn't post. He looks good on film. He has the versatility the Steelers like. He could come in and play RG (hopefully) by next year and eventually kick outside to RT when Adams retires. I just wish this dam CBA would get done because so much hinges on what they decide to do with Colon, Taylor, and FA. If they get Taylor locked up they should dip into FA for another CB like Marshall or Wright who should be UFA if the UFA stays at 4 years. That would give the Steelers some great flexibility in this upcoming draft to really just make some waves and really get some quality young players because the immediate need list got smaller.

I'm ok with this line of thinking. If we can fall back in the second in order to move up in the second, we could possibly land Williams and Cannon. That would be very ok by me.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I will have a report on Orlando Franklin sometime next week. I will tell you that he is at best a 3rd round prospect and in my opinion no better than Ramon Foster.

Yikes. Is that your evaluation? Brandt has him in his Top 60. I watched Foster at TN when we signed him and I watched Franklin. I don't think that is a good comparison. Franklin doesn't lumber when he pulls and hits his targets. He is very good at getting to the second level at staying on LBs. Foster just doesn't have those abilities.

Dee Dub
03-11-2011, 02:47 PM
It is obvious Harris is on the radar.....

I dont think that is who they are interested in.

Personally there is only one player from Miami that I would be interested in and that would be….ILB Colin McCarthy. He is the epitome what a Pittsburgh Steeler is. He is going to be a huge steal for whomever get's him.

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Morning take: Tomlin scouting Hurricanes

March, 11, 2011
By James Walker

Here are the most interesting stories in the AFC North:

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin attended the University of Miami's pro day Thursday, according to the school.

Morning take: Miami cornerback Brandon Harris could be a player of interest with the No. 31 overall pick. The Steelers have a big need at cornerback, and Harris is projected to go late in the first round or early in the second round.

Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer tells 97.1 The Fan in Columbus that most assistants, including himself, will have to take a pay cut if there is a lockout.
Morning take: This is an ugly aspect of the lockout not many people are talking about. The battle is between the owners and the players, while coaches are stuck in the middle trying to get ready for the upcoming season.

Baltimore Ravens cornerback Domonique Foxworth tells CNBC that he is not hopeful the NFL and NFLPA will reach an agreement this week.

Morning take: Brace yourself, folks. Friday is the second deadline following last week's extension.

According to Pro Football Weekly, the Cleveland Browns had one of the better drafts in 2010.

Morning take: President Mike Holmgren and general manager Tom Heckert did well in their first year together. But they still have a long way to go to make up ground on Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... hurricanes (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/25557/morning-take-tomlin-scouting-hurricanes)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Really Dee...I'm not picking on you. McCarthy is somebody I do not like in the Steelers defense. McCarthy needs to play MLB in a 4-3. He needs to be covered by 2 DT. He will struggle shedding blocks in 3-4. When he is clean, he is a playmaker. Yes, he is athlectic and looks good on film. He can play middle and run sideline to sideline. Could probably run with TEs and he's a physical player. However, when an OL gets those big'ol 35" arms on him and grab his jersey...Those little 29 1/2" t-rexers will make him look like Hines Ward dancing with his partner. He was able to run around & away from blockers in college...Not at the next level. He probably will end up being a Pro Bowl MLB in a 4-3 but he would just have been an average ILB in a 3-4. Of course that isn't a perfect formula but I don't want to be the team that test that theory and fail after we use a 2nd on him.

Dee Dub
03-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Really Dee...I'm not picking on you. McCarthy is somebody I do not like in the Steelers defense. McCarthy needs to play MLB in a 4-3. He needs to be covered by 2 DT. He will struggle shedding blocks in 3-4. When he is clean, he is a playmaker. Yes, he is athlectic and looks good on film. He can play middle and run sideline to sideline. Could probably run with TEs and he's a physical player. However, when an OL gets those big'ol 35" arms on him and grab his jersey...Those little 29 1/2" t-rexers will make him look like Hines Ward dancing with his partner. He was able to run around & away from blockers in college...Not at the next level. He probably will end up being a Pro Bowl MLB in a 4-3 but he would just have been an average ILB in a 3-4. Of course that isn't a perfect formula but I don't want to be the team that test that theory and fail after we use a 2nd on him.

I disagree with you. I think McCarthy could fit into any scheme. And I can show you a laundry list of 3-4 ILB currently in the NFL who have trouble with shedding blocks.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-12-2011, 10:09 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3uxywctu]Really Dee...I'm not picking on you. McCarthy is somebody I do not like in the Steelers defense. McCarthy needs to play MLB in a 4-3. He needs to be covered by 2 DT. He will struggle shedding blocks in 3-4. When he is clean, he is a playmaker. Yes, he is athlectic and looks good on film. He can play middle and run sideline to sideline. Could probably run with TEs and he's a physical player. However, when an OL gets those big'ol 35" arms on him and grab his jersey...Those little 29 1/2" t-rexers will make him look like Hines Ward dancing with his partner. He was able to run around & away from blockers in college...Not at the next level. He probably will end up being a Pro Bowl MLB in a 4-3 but he would just have been an average ILB in a 3-4. Of course that isn't a perfect formula but I don't want to be the team that test that theory and fail after we use a 2nd on him.

I disagree with you. I think McCarthy could fit into any scheme. And I can show you a laundry list of 3-4 ILB currently in the NFL who have trouble with shedding blocks.[/quote:3uxywctu]

You can disagree with me...that's what I see when I watch highlights. That laundry list of ILB are just average guys. Exactly why I wouldn't want McCarthy if we have to burn a 2nd to get him. Anyone can go on youtube and watch highlights. When McCarthy is clean he is a playmaker running sideline to sideline. Looks like he can get better in coverage too. But most of the time when he has to engage an OL or FB between the tackles...He gets engulfed. Many times you will see him faking out a blocker or running underneath the blocker to get to the play. That's a no-no at the next level. He plays in a 4-3 at the U. Put two DTs in front of him to keep him clean...I would say he could be a Pro Bowler. If the Steelers draft him...I hope he disproves my opinion of him and turns out to be something special. If I had to project him from what I have seen in college...I would say he won't be a good fit for a 3-4.

Here is a link to youtube where you can watch him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wB-pouJkVw

Chadman
03-12-2011, 10:18 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3kjssos4]It is obvious Harris is on the radar.....

I dont think that is who they are interested in.

Personally there is only one player from Miami that I would be interested in and that would be….ILB Colin McCarthy. He is the epitome what a Pittsburgh Steeler is. He is going to be a huge steal for whomever get's him.[/quote:3kjssos4]

Aww Geez, I don't know Dee Dub. Reckon there's a good chance Tomlin isn't using every visit he makes as a smokescreen.

Harris fits a lot of the Tomlin/Colbert criteria, and he's projected to be around-abouts that #31 spot.

No doubt though, they used the visit as a means to check out a few other players too.

steelerkeylargo
03-12-2011, 12:43 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":39e8g12e]Really Dee...I'm not picking on you. McCarthy is somebody I do not like in the Steelers defense. McCarthy needs to play MLB in a 4-3. He needs to be covered by 2 DT. He will struggle shedding blocks in 3-4. When he is clean, he is a playmaker. Yes, he is athlectic and looks good on film. He can play middle and run sideline to sideline. Could probably run with TEs and he's a physical player. However, when an OL gets those big'ol 35" arms on him and grab his jersey...Those little 29 1/2" t-rexers will make him look like Hines Ward dancing with his partner. He was able to run around & away from blockers in college...Not at the next level. He probably will end up being a Pro Bowl MLB in a 4-3 but he would just have been an average ILB in a 3-4. Of course that isn't a perfect formula but I don't want to be the team that test that theory and fail after we use a 2nd on him.

I disagree with you. I think McCarthy could fit into any scheme. And I can show you a laundry list of 3-4 ILB currently in the NFL who have trouble with shedding blocks.[/quote:39e8g12e]

I agree with DD. McCArthy can play in any system. I know some scouts who think he would best fit as an OLB. However, I don't think LB is an area we should be looking at before the 4th round. We simply have bigger fish to fry. I would rather shore up our Lines and DB's and look at LBers next year early.

Dee Dub
03-12-2011, 08:28 PM
.....When McCarthy is clean he is a playmaker running sideline to sideline.....But most of the time when he has to engage an OL or FB between the tackles...He gets engulfed.

Do you realize you just decribed many of the NFL's best 3-4 ILB? Like Ray Lewis. When he's clean he too goes sideline to sideline. But when he's not he too struggles at times when he has to engage. Go see him after Tony Saragusa retired and before Hiloti Ngata arrived. Do you remember how he was overly campaining for the Ravens to get a two gap body to free him up a few years ago? Why is that?

.....He plays in a 4-3 at the U. Put two DTs in front of him to keep him clean...I would say he could be a Pro Bowler.

I am not saying he is better suited for a 3-4. I like you know he is best probably in a 4-3...but if a guy (like you yourself said), could be a pro bowler with two DT's in front of him then he can cleary play in a 3-4 at a descent level. And let's not forget the design of a 3-4 front is to have three widebodies across that can fill and plug 4 gaps. That is also designed to what? To free up the LB's to make plays.

Colin McCarthy could do that and be a lot better than you think,

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-14-2011, 09:29 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":msiv8ja5].....When McCarthy is clean he is a playmaker running sideline to sideline.....But most of the time when he has to engage an OL or FB between the tackles...He gets engulfed.

Do you realize you just decribed many of the NFL's best 3-4 ILB? Like Ray Lewis. When he's clean he too goes sideline to sideline. But when he's not he too struggles at times when he has to engage. Go see him after Tony Saragusa retired and before Hiloti Ngata arrived. Do you remember how he was overly campaining for the Ravens to get a two gap body to free him up a few years ago? Why is that?

.....He plays in a 4-3 at the U. Put two DTs in front of him to keep him clean...I would say he could be a Pro Bowler.

I am not saying he is better suited for a 3-4. I like you know he is best probably in a 4-3...but if a guy (like you yourself said), could be a pro bowler with two DT's in front of him then he can cleary play in a 3-4 at a descent level. And let's not forget the design of a 3-4 front is to have three widebodies across that can fill and plug 4 gaps. That is also designed to what? To free up the LB's to make plays.

Colin McCarthy could do that and be a lot better than you think,[/quote:msiv8ja5]

Not true Dee. There are LBs who can shed and still make a play. There are LBs who will meet a FB in the Hole taking the LB on with the correct shoulder and still make a play. Just watch highlights of Lewis or even Farrior over the years. They are both capable of taking on a OL, shedding, and making the play. Just watch McCarthy. When a OL gets locked on him he is out of the play. When he goes unblocked...He is around the ball. He won't be under cutting blocks or juking an OL to avoid getting blocked in the NFL.

When you have a stout NT in a 3-4, it sometime forces a double team up front and the ILB playside is left on a FB or TE iso block in the hole. Have to be able to take on that block & get off that block playside and make the tackle. Sometimes there still will be a combination block playside where the G initiates the double team and comes off for the LB. Have to be able to get off that block to make the play. Even with a stout NT in a 3-4, the ILB will need to come off blocks. The design of a 4-3 is to keep the MLB clean with the 2 DT in front of him on the inetrior 3. Very difficult to get any of the interior guys through the wash to get to the MLB. That is where McCarthy fits best. He will disappear ina 3-4.

Dee Dub
03-14-2011, 03:48 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":g8an5f3n][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":g8an5f3n].....When McCarthy is clean he is a playmaker running sideline to sideline.....But most of the time when he has to engage an OL or FB between the tackles...He gets engulfed.

Colin McCarthy could do that and be a lot better than you think,[/quote:g8an5f3n]

Not true Dee. There are LBs who can shed and still make a play. There are LBs who will meet a FB in the Hole taking the LB on with the correct shoulder and still make a play. Just watch highlights of Lewis or even Farrior over the years. They are both capable of taking on a OL, shedding, and making the play. Just watch McCarthy. When a OL gets locked on him he is out of the play. When he goes unblocked...He is around the ball. He won't be under cutting blocks or juking an OL to avoid getting blocked in the NFL.

When you have a stout NT in a 3-4, it sometime forces a double team up front and the ILB playside is left on a FB or TE iso block in the hole. Have to be able to take on that block & get off that block playside and make the tackle. Sometimes there still will be a combination block playside where the G initiates the double team and comes off for the LB. Have to be able to get off that block to make the play. Even with a stout NT in a 3-4, the ILB will need to come off blocks. The design of a 4-3 is to keep the MLB clean with the 2 DT in front of him on the inetrior 3. Very difficult to get any of the interior guys through the wash to get to the MLB. That is where McCarthy fits best. He will disappear ina 3-4.[/quote:g8an5f3n]

Have you never watched James Farrior play ILB in the Steelers 3-4? Farrior has always been a better fit in a 4-3 and he too struggles at times at the point of attack and shedding but overall…he has done as better than descent job over the years. I believe a team could get the same from Colin McCarthy in a 3-4….even if he too is better suited in a 4-3.

Oviedo
03-14-2011, 03:55 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":35p6hz74]Really Dee...I'm not picking on you. McCarthy is somebody I do not like in the Steelers defense. McCarthy needs to play MLB in a 4-3. He needs to be covered by 2 DT. He will struggle shedding blocks in 3-4. When he is clean, he is a playmaker. Yes, he is athlectic and looks good on film. He can play middle and run sideline to sideline. Could probably run with TEs and he's a physical player. However, when an OL gets those big'ol 35" arms on him and grab his jersey...Those little 29 1/2" t-rexers will make him look like Hines Ward dancing with his partner. He was able to run around & away from blockers in college...Not at the next level. He probably will end up being a Pro Bowl MLB in a 4-3 but he would just have been an average ILB in a 3-4. Of course that isn't a perfect formula but I don't want to be the team that test that theory and fail after we use a 2nd on him.

I disagree with you. I think McCarthy could fit into any scheme. And I can show you a laundry list of 3-4 ILB currently in the NFL who have trouble with shedding blocks.

I agree with DD. McCArthy can play in any system. I know some scouts who think he would best fit as an OLB. However, I don't think LB is an area we should be looking at before the 4th round. We simply have bigger fish to fry. I would rather shore up our Lines and DB's and look at LBers next year early.[/quote:35p6hz74]

I agree that we don't need to be looking at LBs in the first three rounds.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-15-2011, 10:08 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1jutz55r][quote="Dee Dub":1jutz55r][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1jutz55r].....When McCarthy is clean he is a playmaker running sideline to sideline.....But most of the time when he has to engage an OL or FB between the tackles...He gets engulfed.

Colin McCarthy could do that and be a lot better than you think,[/quote:1jutz55r]

When you have a stout NT in a 3-4, it sometime forces a double team up front and the ILB playside is left on a FB or TE iso block in the hole. Have to be able to take on that block & get off that block playside and make the tackle. Sometimes there still will be a combination block playside where the G initiates the double team and comes off for the LB. Have to be able to get off that block to make the play. Even with a stout NT in a 3-4, the ILB will need to come off blocks. The design of a 4-3 is to keep the MLB clean with the 2 DT in front of him on the inetrior 3. Very difficult to get any of the interior guys through the wash to get to the MLB. That is where McCarthy fits best. He will disappear ina 3-4.[/quote:1jutz55r]

Have you never watched James Farrior play ILB in the Steelers 3-4? Farrior has always been a better fit in a 4-3 and he too struggles at times at the point of attack and shedding but overall…he has done as better than descent job over the years. I believe a team could get the same from Colin McCarthy in a 3-4….even if he too is better suited in a 4-3.[/quote:1jutz55r]

Apparently you don't watch Farrior or know him to well. Farrior a better fit in a 4-3??? Come on. Farrior couldn't get on the field in a 4-3 with the Jets. He didn't show enough range to move into the middle and served as a back-up for many years at LOLB. He was such a good fit in a 4-3 the Jets allowed the 8th pick in the draft to leave via FA. Had enough range to move to the middle in a 3-4 where he is better suited. The Farrior that got here from the Jets was a good ILB and didn't struggle at the point of attack. The 36 year old Farrior right now isn't a fair example to use in your argument because he isn't the same player he was.

As far as McCarthy, our opinions vary. But if I am watching an MLB struggle to get off blocks against no name lesser competiton in college playing in a 4-3...Then there is no way I target him if my team is playing the 3-4. That's my opinion of him. You might get a Dan Morgan or Zach Thomas in a 4-3 but I believe he will be just "another" ILB in a 3-4.

Dee Dub
03-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Apparently you don't watch Farrior or know him to well. Farrior a better fit in a 4-3??? Come on. Farrior couldn't get on the field in a 4-3 with the Jets. He didn't show enough range to move into the middle and served as a back-up for many years at LOLB. He was such a good fit in a 4-3 the Jets allowed the 8th pick in the draft to leave via FA. Had enough range to move to the middle in a 3-4 where he is better suited. The Farrior that got here from the Jets was a good ILB and didn't struggle at the point of attack. The 36 year old Farrior right now isn't a fair example to use in your argument because he isn't the same player he was.

As far as McCarthy, our opinions vary. But if I am watching an MLB struggle to get off blocks against no name lesser competiton in college playing in a 4-3...Then there is no way I target him if my team is playing the 3-4. That's my opinion of him. You might get a Dan Morgan or Zach Thomas in a 4-3 but I believe he will be just "another" ILB in a 3-4.

Ok we are done here. If James Farrior couldn’t get on the field in a 4-3 with the Jets how did he have one of the best years statically of his career? Maybe you should go back and look at what Farrior did in a 4-3 in 2001?? Just a suggestion.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-16-2011, 10:47 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":7axrmvin]

Ok we are done here. If James Farrior couldn’t get on the field in a 4-3 with the Jets how did he have one of the best years statically of his career? Maybe you should go back and look at what Farrior did in a 4-3 in 2001?? Just a suggestion.[/quote:7axrmvin]

What about his first 4 years in the league Dee??? What was that? No mention of the fact from his rookie year up to year 4 he started 27 out of a possible 64 games? Out of the 60 games he was active he started 27? That's called "cant get on the field ". So after 4 years of mediocrity he puts up his career stats in his contract year. Maybe you should go back to football 101.

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 11:11 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":18o5dcu6][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":18o5dcu6]

Ok we are done here. If James Farrior couldn’t get on the field in a 4-3 with the Jets how did he have one of the best years statically of his career? Maybe you should go back and look at what Farrior did in a 4-3 in 2001?? Just a suggestion.[/quote:18o5dcu6]

What about his first 4 years in the league Dee??? What was that? No mention of the fact from his rookie year up to year 4 he started 27 out of a possible 64 games? Out of the 60 games he was active he started 27? That's called "cant get on the field ". So after 4 years of mediocrity he puts up his career stats in his contract year. Maybe you should go back to football 101.[/quote:18o5dcu6]

No offense here but I think I get it. You really dont know much about James Farrior prior to his playing with the Steelers. In his first year (in a 4-3), Farrior actually had a very solid rookie season. In year two he had some injuries and was regulated to only 12 games played. But it’s ok. I understand you and I aren’t going to agree on this topic. But you don’t really know much about James Farrior’s years in NY while he played in a 4-3.

Peace.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-16-2011, 02:14 PM
No offense here but I think I get it. You really dont know much about James Farrior prior to his playing with the Steelers. In his first year (in a 4-3), Farrior actually had a very solid rookie season. In year two he had some injuries and was regulated to only 12 games played. But it’s ok. I understand you and I aren’t going to agree on this topic. But you don’t really know much about James Farrior’s years in NY while he played in a 4-3.

Peace.

I don't get offended unless someone just takes for granted that he is talking to someone that doesn't know as much. I don't think you do get it and apparently you know less about Farrior in a 4-3 then you "think" you know. You preached Farrior in a 4-3. You put yourself there...When you get to the end you will see what hole you made. But for now, go back to his starts.

Since nearly half of his games started in his first 4 years came his rookie year when "Parcells" came on board tells me something. Over his next three years Farrior was active for 44 games. Active. Dressed. Served as back-up. Not injured. He missed 4 games in '98, the year you mentioned, but only started 2. Over years 3 & 4 he was active for all 32 regular season games....Started 10.

You want to know what's funny about this whole thing Dee...You really fell into it all on your own. Did you see his coach his rookie year I mentioned? Bill Parcels...Is that registering yet? Farrior played in a 4-3 one year with the Jets. His last year when Edwards came on board. Edwards brought in the 4-3 cover 2 where Farrior played weakside LB. Off the LOS like a 3-4 ILB. His rookie year under parcels and all the way until 2000, Parcells had Farrior playing LOLB in a 3-4. So it looks like "you don't really know much about James Farrior’s years in NY while he played in a 4-3." That was your line. :wink:

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 06:37 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":3el07t35] No offense here but I think I get it. You really dont know much about James Farrior prior to his playing with the Steelers. In his first year (in a 4-3), Farrior actually had a very solid rookie season. In year two he had some injuries and was regulated to only 12 games played. But it’s ok. I understand you and I aren’t going to agree on this topic. But you don’t really know much about James Farrior’s years in NY while he played in a 4-3.

Peace.

I don't get offended unless someone just takes for granted that he is talking to someone that doesn't know as much. I don't think you do get it and apparently you know less about Farrior in a 4-3 then you "think" you know. You preached Farrior in a 4-3. You put yourself there...When you get to the end you will see what hole you made. But for now, go back to his starts.

Since nearly half of his games started in his first 4 years came his rookie year when "Parcells" came on board tells me something. Over his next three years Farrior was active for 44 games. Active. Dressed. Served as back-up. Not injured. He missed 4 games in '98, the year you mentioned, but only started 2. Over years 3 & 4 he was active for all 32 regular season games....Started 10.

You want to know what's funny about this whole thing Dee...You really fell into it all on your own. Did you see his coach his rookie year I mentioned? Bill Parcels...Is that registering yet? Farrior played in a 4-3 one year with the Jets. His last year when Edwards came on board. Edwards brought in the 4-3 cover 2 where Farrior played weakside LB. Off the LOS like a 3-4 ILB. His rookie year under parcels and all the way until 2000, Parcells had Farrior playing LOLB in a 3-4. So it looks like "you don't really know much about James Farrior’s years in NY while he played in a 4-3." That was your line. :wink:[/quote:3el07t35]

A 4-3 is a 4-3. You can color it anyway you want. He played in a 4-3 for the Jets. I dont think the issue of what kind of 4-3 he played was ever even mentioned until you just did. But it's all good. Whatever.

Peace.

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 06:46 PM
You want to know what's funny about this whole thing Dee...You really fell into it all on your own. Did you see his coach his rookie year I mentioned? Bill Parcels...Is that registering yet? Farrior played in a 4-3 one year with the Jets. His last year when Edwards came on board. Edwards brought in the 4-3 cover 2 where Farrior played weakside LB. Off the LOS like a 3-4 ILB. His rookie year under parcels and all the way until 2000, Parcells had Farrior playing LOLB in a 3-4. So it looks like "you don't really know much about James Farrior’s years in NY while he played in a 4-3." That was your line. :wink:

And by the way...I personally dont think that I feel into anything. This is a discussion board. My opinion really isnt any better than anyone else's. But if you feel like you have won something here then by all means..............celebrate. :Bow

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-17-2011, 01:44 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1i55bmc8]

And by the way...I personally dont think that I feel into anything. This is a discussion board. My opinion really isnt any better than anyone else's. But if you feel like you have won something here then by all means..............celebrate. :Bow[/quote:1i55bmc8]
At no point did I celebrate the fact that you were clearly under the impression that Farrior played every year in the 4-3 with the Jets. Deflect it any wany you want. A man would have said "My mistake." instead of saying "4-3 is a 4-3." However you want to leave it is ok by me.

Dee Dub
03-17-2011, 01:57 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":2dfs37jz][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":2dfs37jz]

And by the way...I personally dont think that I feel into anything. This is a discussion board. My opinion really isnt any better than anyone else's. But if you feel like you have won something here then by all means..............celebrate. :Bow[/quote:2dfs37jz]
At no point did I celebrate the fact that you were clearly under the impression that Farrior played every year in the 4-3 with the Jets. Deflect it any wany you want. A man would have said "My mistake." instead of saying "4-3 is a 4-3." However you want to leave it is ok by me.[/quote:2dfs37jz]

Be fair now. I never said he played every year with the jets in a 4-3.

"Ok we are done here. If James Farrior couldn’t get on the field in a 4-3 with the Jets how did he have one of the best years statically of his career? Maybe you should go back and look at what Farrior did in a 4-3 in 2001?? Just a suggestion."

I will admit I was incorrect when I said in his first year with the Jets at a 4-3. You were correct that year under Parcells they were running a 3-4.