PDA

View Full Version : Gerry: Troy's Achilles was a problem

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Gerry: Troy's Achilles was a problem

THURSDAY, 10 MARCH 2011
BY GERRY DULAC

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/1212/nfl_u_polamalu_576.jpg

If it looked as though Troy Polamalu was really hurting in the postseason, especially the Super Bowl, it’s because he was.

Sources have told me that Polamalu was playing with an injured Achilles tendon that robbed him of his trademark burst and explosiveness – an injury that occurred on his 45-yard interception return for touchdown against the Cincinnati Bengals on Dec. 12.

Despite the injury, Polamalu remained in the Bengals game and even had a second interception in the fourth quarter to help seal the victory. But he was never the same after that.

Polamalu missed two games after he injured his Achilles before returning for the season finale against the Cleveland Browns. In that game, Polamalu had an interception on the first series – his seventh of the season – that led to a quick touchdown and began a 41-9 rout of the Browns.

However, in three postseason games, Polamalu did not have an interception and combined for 10 tackles, including only three in the Super Bowl XLV loss to the Green Bay Packers. Polamalu would practice only one day a week – on Fridays – in an attempt to rest his injury and allow him to play in a game.

The good news: Polamalu does not need surgery to repair the problem. He is still getting treatment and rehabbing his injury in Los Angeles and is under the care of an orthopedic surgeon who is friendly with the Steelers medical staff.

Before the Bengals game, Polamalu was already bothered by an injury to the soleus muscle, or calf area, of the same leg. But, during his interception runback, he pulled up just short of the goalline when he injured his Achilles, forcing him to dive for the pylon.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... -a-problem (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108579-gerry-troys-achilles-was-a-problem)

Crash
03-10-2011, 03:26 PM
So Heinz Beach cost them the health of their best defensive player huh?

Keep playing on it though.

Blockhead
03-10-2011, 03:27 PM
That's not a shock. Anyone who watches the Steelers could see he wasn't the same.

rpmpit
03-10-2011, 08:23 PM
In other breaking news...water is wet.

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 09:36 AM
So Heinz Beach cost them the health of their best defensive player huh?

Keep playing on it though.
Best Defensive Player?

Polamalu is our best player

PERIOD

Chadman
03-11-2011, 10:12 AM
There are some who, Chadman suspects, post for the sake of posting.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Sad that a 60% Troy was our best option, by far.

SuperSize
03-11-2011, 11:17 AM
I agree, this certainly isn't a surprise to anyone who watched the playoffs. I think the same thing can be said for Ben, he wasn't anywhere close to 100%, either.

Pete

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 11:39 AM
I agree, this certainly isn't a surprise to anyone who watched the playoffs. I think the same thing can be said for Ben, he wasn't anywhere close to 100%, either.

Pete

Excuses much?

Mister Pittsburgh
03-11-2011, 11:54 AM

Pete

Excuses much?

Or truth...depends on how you choose to look at it.

Chadman
03-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Pete

Excuses much?

Or truth...depends on how you choose to look at it.

James Harrison played with a back that required surgery. No excuses made. Level of performance was not hindered anywhere near the extent of the two previously mentioned Steelers.

Perhaps we are all looking at it the wrong way?

Maybe Ben & Troy should have sucked it up Harrison style?

:D

Scalaid6
03-11-2011, 12:39 PM
There is evidence that Troy was hurt. There is no evidence that Ben was (late season). Thats just an excuse. Harrison as well (Obviously hurt)

Can anyone provide any proof as to what kind of after season Treatment Roethlisberger is receiving?

SuperSize
03-11-2011, 01:53 PM
There is evidence that Troy was hurt. There is no evidence that Ben was (late season). Thats just an excuse. Harrison as well (Obviously hurt)

Can anyone provide any proof as to what kind of after season Treatment Roethlisberger is receiving?

I guess you could be right, maybe he wasn't hurt at all. He probably wore that giant metal shoe on his right foot as a fashion statement.

I believe he was hurt; as the season progressed, his accuracy declined. He has never had a problem in the past with accuracy. Not being able to plant his foot at the conclusion of his drop back, or push off powerfully affected his throwing.

Is it possible that we haven't heard anything from Ben's camp because he doesn't want to be perceived as making excuses?

Pete

Crash
03-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Ben looked fine once the multiple TE sets were eliminated and the WRs were on the field.

Get rid of Spaeth and Johnson. Until that happens this is who we are.

Blockhead
03-11-2011, 02:27 PM

I guess you could be right, maybe he wasn't hurt at all. He probably wore that giant metal shoe on his right foot as a fashion statement.

I believe he was hurt; as the season progressed, his accuracy declined. He has never had a problem in the past with accuracy. Not being able to plant his foot at the conclusion of his drop back, or push off powerfully affected his throwing.

Is it possible that we haven't heard anything from Ben's camp because he doesn't want to be perceived as making excuses?
Pete
There is a history of Ben dramatizing injuries. Tomlin himself downplayed the injury, as did Cowher when Ben said he had broken toes that weren't broken. He certainly ran fine with the supposed foot injury. Maybe the clown shoe slowed him down more than the "injury?"

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Steelers' Polamalu was hurt for all playoffs

Friday, March 11, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201103/20110311steelers_160.jpg

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
Steelers safety Troy Polamalu.

If it looked as though Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu was hurting in the postseason, especially the Super Bowl, it's because he was.

Sources have confirmed to the Post-Gazette that Polamalu was playing with an injured Achilles tendon that robbed him of his trademark burst and explosiveness and was much worse than the Steelers let on. The injury occurred near the end of his 45-yard interception return for a touchdown Dec. 12 against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Despite the injury, Polamalu remained in the game and had a second interception in the fourth quarter to help seal the victory. But he was never the same after that.

Before the Bengals game, Polamalu already was bothered by an injury to the soleus muscle, or calf area, of the same leg. But, on his interception runback, he pulled up just short of the goal line when he injured his Achilles, forcing him to dive for the pylon.

Polamalu missed two games after the injury before returning for the season finale against the Cleveland Browns. In that game, Polamalu had an interception on the first series -- his team-high seventh of the season -- that led to a quick touchdown and began a 41-9 rout of the Browns.

In three postseason games, however, Polamalu did not have an interception and only had 10 tackles, including three in the Super Bowl XLV loss to the Green Bay Packers. Polamalu practiced only one day a week -- Fridays -- in an attempt to rest his injury and allow him to play in a game.

The good news: Polamalu does not need surgery to repair the problem. He is getting treatment and rehabbing his injury in Los Angeles and is under the care of an orthopedic surgeon who is friendly with the Steelers' medical staff.

Barber could come here
Could former New York Giants running back Tiki Barber, who is considering a comeback, end up with the Steelers?

A story in the New York Post said Thursday that Barber, who has been out of football for four years, could re-start his career with the Steelers because he is interested in playing for a successful franchise and a player-friendly coach such as Mike Tomlin. The paper cited two sources in the story.

The possibility may not be that far-fetched.

According to a Steelers source, Tomlin is good friends with Barber and his twin brother, Ronde, a cornerback with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who played for Tomlin when he was the Buccaneers' secondary coach from 2001-05. Signing Barber might be a possibility, the source said, if Mewelde Moore leaves the team in free agency. Moore, the team's third-down back, is an unrestricted free agent.

Lockett is leaving
Steelers communications coordinator Dave Lockett is leaving the team after 13 seasons. A source said his departure is not related to the ongoing labor situation in the NFL in which some teams already have laid off front-office personnel or are preparing to do so. Lockett's assistant, Burt Lauten, remains the team's public relations/media manager.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11070/11 ... z1GJf9w353 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11070/1131141-66.stm#ixzz1GJf9w353)

SuperSize
03-11-2011, 06:04 PM

Pete
There is a history of Ben dramatizing injuries. Tomlin himself downplayed the injury, as did Cowher when Ben said he had broken toes that weren't broken. He certainly ran fine with the supposed foot injury. Maybe the clown shoe slowed him down more than the "injury?"

Don't know. The question bears asking though, why wear the "clown shoe" if it isn't protecting something? The fact is that his accuracy wasn't what it has been in the past, so I drew the (possible) conclusion that it was because his foot was injured more than they let on. I have no proof of this other than my two eyes.

Pete

Blockhead
03-11-2011, 06:10 PM
That's a question only Ben can answer.

If he had a broken bone or a bone sticking out of his foot, one would think he would have needed surgery, no?

Seems the injury was more drama than substance.

NJ-STEELER
03-11-2011, 06:19 PM
i guess not missing a snap after having his nose rearranged is also drama queenish.

damn, why cant we have a QB like the pats or colts and sit out when they they have a fingernail clipped. or tell the back up to go in cause of a perceived bad thumb on the final drive of an ACCC ....until the center tells you to get your azz in there. thats the qualities i want in my team's quarterback