PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin visits Wisconsin Pro-Day

Chadman
03-10-2011, 02:12 AM
Clay shows faster speed at UW's pro timing day

Former University of Wisconsin tailback John Clay certainly looked good when he pulled off his sweats prior to taking part in the annual UW pro timing day inside the McClain Center on Wednesday.

Clay has shed more than 30 pounds since the end of the last football season and his body looked muscular and firm. He wore black-and-gray spandex shorts and a form-fitting, red sleeveless shirt.

After weighing in at 233 pounds, Clay was asked the last time he was at that weight.

"Had to be high school, my junior, senior year," the Racine Park product said. "It's the lightest I've been since I came to college. I feel more explosive, faster. I got my quick muscles back and I feel real good."

Clay needed those "quick muscles" after running disappointing 40-yard dash times of 4.77 seconds and 4.84 seconds at the scouting combine in Indianapolis less than two weeks earlier.

A large contingent of NFL scouts and coaches — representing 31 of the 32 teams, apparently only missing the Cincinnati Bengals — were on hand to evaluate UW's draft-eligible players. In the case of Clay, who left after his junior year, they mostly wanted to see if he could run any faster on his home turf.

Clay ran the 40 twice and his official time range, according to UW strength and conditioning coach Ben Herbert, was between 4.73 and 4.77.

"In John's case, he was able to come and run a solid time for what guys consider a big back, which he is," Herbert said. "I think all of the guys I talked to felt good about what he did."

Coaches and scouts time players on their own, then confer afterward, so times can vary. Clay was pleased with his results, saying he believed he shaved one-tenth off his combine time. He said the best clocking he heard was "low 4.6."

"I felt like I made some progress from the combine at Indianapolis," Clay said.

Still, it remains an uphill battle for Clay prior to the draft, which will be held April 28-30.

In addition to the slow 40 times — 4.6 would have been a reasonable time for Clay — he has to prove to NFL teams he can be an every-down back. He didn't help his cause by dropping four passes in a row during the workout.

"Here at Wisconsin, I was just a first- and second-down back," said Clay, who rushed for 3,413 yards in his three-year career and was the Big Ten Conference Offensive Player of the Year in 2009.

In meetings with NFL coaches at the combine, Clay said he was asked frequently to go to the erase board and diagram blocking schemes for picking up blitzes.

"That was a big question mark because they only see me first and second down, just carrying the ball," Clay said of understanding blocking schemes. "Making sure I can block and also catch."

The top UW prospects did not do much at the workout. Defensive end J.J. Watt, who tested among the top players at his position in almost every category at the combine, only took part in position drills.

"I'm very proud of how relentless I am and how hard I work," Watt said. "But at the same time, that doesn't discount any of my talents or any of the athleticism I have. Just because I'm a big Wisconsin kid, doesn't mean I'm not athletic."

Offensive tackle Gabe Carimi ran the 20-yard shuttle, slightly aggravating a sprained ankle he suffered at the Senior Bowl in January. He also took part in offensive lineman drills.

Watt is projected to go as high as the top 10 picks and Carimi is also expected to go in the first round. The Badgers haven't had two first-round picks since 2001, when cornerback Jamar Fletcher was taken at No. 26 by the Miami Dolphins and Michael Bennett went at No. 27 to the Minnesota Vikings.

"Our coaches know how to develop players," Watt said of the 14 UW players who took part in the workout. "Our strength program is very good. They believe in us and we believe in the program, so they put out great players, because we work hard. That's what we do.

"We're not very flashy guys, we're not guys that are going to run a 4.2 40, but we're going to go out there and we're going to work our tails off to get what we want."

Both Super Bowl teams were well represented. The Green Bay Packers sent general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy. The Pittsburgh Steelers sent three people, including coach Mike Tomlin.
Thompson played it typically close to the vest when asked if Clay had done enough to change perceptions from the combine.

"I wouldn't presume to know what those perceptions are," Thompson said. "John Clay is a very good football player. I'll leave it at that."

Clay, who works with a personal trainer, said the weight came off easily and credited it mostly to a healthier diet. He's the second former UW running back to leave early and lose considerable weight before the draft, something P.J. Hill also did.

UW coach Bret Bielema wasn't upset that Clay didn't lose the weight sooner. Clay had offseason surgery on both ankles prior to last season and had less than two months to get ready for camp. Bielema thought Clay was close to his current weight for the Champs Sports Bowl against Miami (Fla.) in 2009.

"When he's in the position he's in right now," Bielema said, regarding Clay's weight, "there are very few backs I've seen be able to handle a game as well as he has."

Chadman
03-10-2011, 02:15 AM
Change all your mocks to Gabe Carimi or JJ Wattt!!

Add John Moffitt to the middle rounds!!

Spread the word!!

:D

Chadman
03-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Badgers Show Off for NFL Coaches, Scouts at Wisconsin Pro Day
Updated: Mar 10, 2011 3:54 PM
By Michelle Tuckner

Despite the labor cloud hanging over the next football season, preparations for the NFL draft continue.

Eleven former Wisconsin Badgers worked out for NFL coaches and scouts on Wednesday. Wisconsin's Pro Day drew a big crowd.

More than a dozen NFL teams were on-hand for Badger pro timing day. Both teams from the Super Bowl were well-represented. From the Packers brass, general manager Ted Thompson, head coach Mike McCarthy and Shaun Herock. For the Steelers, head coach Mike Tomlin and their director of football operations were here.
The Badgers could potentially have two former players taken in the first round of the draft, defensive end J.J. Watt and left tackle Gabe Carimi.

"Coming out today, I knew I was only going to participate in D-line drills because I was pleased with my numbers from Indy. I hope the coaches are pleased with them, too. I came out here today and showed a little more of my athleticism, just tried to show the coaches what they want," Watt said.

"I think it shows we have a good program here to develop players. That's the big thing at Wisconsin is we develop players. They developed me into the great tackle I was, and they developed J.J. into a great defensive lineman," Carimi said.

Coach McCarthy said, "It's fun to watch them on film, watching their offense on film this morning before coming down for the workout. I like the way they run the ball, the play action pass. I really like their style of play, and it's a type of football player that's ready to play in the NFL."

Running back John Clay has dropped 30 pounds since the Rose Bowl but his stock fell at the Combine when he ran the 40 in 4.7. He wanted to improve that time at Pro Day. He said the teams clocked him at a low 4.6.

"Just to show people that I can put up better times than I did, being out here I knew what time I could run and hopefully I got it," Clay said.

The Chicago Bears were also well represented. Offensive coordinator Mike Martz was on hand, and offensive line coach Mike Tice ran the O-line drills. The Bears have the 29th pick in the draft and they're in need of an offensive lineman.

Chadman
03-10-2011, 02:22 AM
2 different sites now- is that confirmation?

PSU_dropout43
03-10-2011, 02:32 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-p ... day-report (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/09000d5d81eafae5/Wisconsin-pro-day-report)

You can see both Tomlin and Sean Kugler in this video.

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2011, 02:32 AM
Change all your mocks to Gabe Carimi or JJ Wattt!!

I would be very happy with Gabe Carimi or JJ Watt in Round 1...

Chadman
03-10-2011, 02:40 AM
Lance Kendricks had a great workout too- late 2nd round pick perhaps?

Chadman
03-10-2011, 02:43 AM
Honestly- Chadman thinks both Carimi & Watt will be gone by #31, so if they want either, a trade will be required.

Hendricks fits though...

And Kugler would no doubt have seen Moffitt while he was there too...

The Sodfather
03-10-2011, 07:24 AM
A large contingent of NFL scouts and coaches — representing 31 of the 32 teams, apparently only missing the Cincinnati Bengals

And they wonder why they have a winning season about as often as the Pirates.

Oviedo
03-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Honestly- Chadman thinks both Carimi & Watt will be gone by #31, so if they want either, a trade will be required.

Hendricks fits though...

And Kugler would no doubt have seen Moffitt while he was there too...

I think Hendricks and Moffitt are probably the one they were trying to get a feel for. No way Watt is at #31 and unlikely Carimi is just as you say.

The fact that Kugler was there really leads me to believe they are looking at Moffitt.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-10-2011, 02:47 PM
On NFL network one of the talking heads said that they compare JJ Watt to Aaron Smith (who was a fourth rounder). High and mighty praise indeed and would put the guy on my radar immediately.

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2011, 03:58 PM
The fact that Kugler was there really leads me to believe they are looking at Moffitt.

• It wasn't difficult to deduce why the Steelers and Bears were at UW in full force. Both teams are in the market for offensive line help, and that's the strength of this impressive Wisconsin draft class. Carimi is a first-round lock, and Badgers guard John Moffitt looks like a solid mid-round prospect. Guard-center John Nagy is also in the mix and could go on the third day of the draft.

"We need some offensive linemen,'' Tice told me, not exactly breaking that particular news. "And they've got some here.''

Carimi, last season's Outland Trophy winner, is the big prize. I just don't happen to think he makes it to either No. 29 Chicago or No. 31 Pittsburgh. But clearly the Bears and Steelers are doing their homework on him nonetheless. Tice ran Carimi, Moffitt and guard-center Nagy through their offensive linemen and agility drills, and Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler also worked with the threesome, having Moffitt try his hand at some center snaps.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1GDzKVtSJ (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/03/10/nfl-pro-days/index.html#ixzz1GDzKVtSJ)

SteelCrazy
03-10-2011, 05:12 PM
We trade up to take Pouncey...That's it folks. Everything else is a smoke screen! :P

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2011, 07:56 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/09000d5d81eafae5/Wisconsin-pro-day-report

You can see both Tomlin and Sean Kugler in this video.

What the hell are Tomlin and Kugler doing in the "Je t'aime moi non plus" video?

Oh...you meant the link to the NFL.com video instead...I see... :wink:

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2011, 02:38 AM
Per Wexell:

THURSDAY, MARCH 10

I'm reading more and more about how LT Gabe Carimi might fall to pick 31, and that he's the reason Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert and Sean Kugler attended Wisconsin's Pro Day (along with D-Line coach John Mitchell.) I had just assumed -- after watching Carimi dominate Cameron Heyward and play Adrian Clayborne to a stalemate in back-to-back weeks -- that he was out of the Steelers' reach. Perhaps he's not. Or perhaps Tomlin's using Carimi to shield his interest in Lance Kendricks and/or John Moffitt. Oh, let the smokescreens begin.