PDA

View Full Version : Steelers checking out BYU Pro-Day..

Chadman
03-10-2011, 01:55 AM
Eight former BYU players, including Vic So'oto, Andrew Rich and Brian Logan, tried out for NFL scouts.

For many BYU football fans, March means an opportunity to start analyzing spring football practice as the team gears up for the upcoming season.

For Cougar players that finished their eligibility after the 2010 season, however, this is the time to chase dreams of playing at the next level.

Eight former BYU players had an opportunity to display their skills for NFL scouts at the 2011 Pro Day on Wednesday afternoon.

"Today was my day to come out and show them what I can do," said senior Vic So'oto, a 6-foot-3, 265-pound defensive end. "Hopefully I surprised some guys."

The players were measured in their vertical leap, their bench press, their 40-yard dash, their standing broad jump and in three different shuttle runs. They also ran a few other position drills.

So'oto put on the best show in the bench press portion, lifting the 225-pound weight 35 times. He also said he hit 4.5 in the 40-yard dash, speed that is rare among defensive ends.

"The scouts said I looked pretty good," So'oto said. "For the most part scouts are just scribes. I hope that a general manager or a position coach will want to come out so I can show them what I've got."

Other familiar names were also participating as scouts from the Denver Broncos, the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Arizona Cardinals, the Oakland Raiders, the Green Bay Packers and the Tennessee Titans looked on.

The majority of the defensive backfield was out there on the field as safety Andrew Rich and cornerbacks Brandon Bradley and Brian Logan also participated.

"I've worked for my whole life for a chance to complete for NFL teams," Rich said. "There was some anxiety leading up to it, so it was good to get it over with. I did my best and I hope that was enough."

Logan, listed at 5-foot-6 and 176 points, had the best vertical at 37.5 inches. Still, he knows he's going to have to get those making the decisions to evaluate more than his height.

"I think the chances are good if they look past my size and give me an opportunity," he said. "I had that in junior college and then at BYU with coach Bronco Mendenhall. If they do the same thing at the next level, I'll be able to prove myself again."

On the offensive side, wide receiver Luke Ashworth and lineman Jason Speredon were the main performers. Ashworth said that while Pro Day was a step, the goal is to reach an NFL mini-camp.

"The scouts said they'd seen good thing on film, that I run good routes," Ashworth explained. "I'm not all that worried about the draft because it's all about getting to a mini-camp. I just want to get that call."

The other two players who participated were kicker Mitch Payne and linebacker Zeke Mendenhall.

A number of family members and friends showed up to support the former BYU standouts, as did some players who have already made it to the next level. Bryan Kehl, Fahu Tahi, Ray Feinga and Harvey Unga were all around for Wednesday's Pro Day.

Many current Cougar football players also showed up to support their former teammates. It won't be long before they will be back to work themselves as BYU begins spring practice on Mar. 14.

Chadman
03-10-2011, 02:06 AM
So'oto could be an interesting UDFA pick-up to develop into an OLB. Andrew Rich could be a value late round Safety pick- a bit of a team leader type player. Both CB's look like fodder as does the WR.

Which scout lucked out in the straws & drew this day??