PDA

View Full Version : Scouts snippets

PSU_dropout43
03-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Milwaukee Journal Sentinal

Nate Solder-" he's the most talented tackle overall. he's just got a ways to go with his anchor and learning the tricks of the trade. He doesnt have the grit and finish or the lower body-strength yet. Too tall

Tyron Smith-" his technique is all screwed up, but he has great body balance, feet, and quickness.

Castonzo- "technically, he may be the best of the tackles. he's got a little stiffness. He's athletic but I just dont see any power to him. I just dont like the way he's built. He's linear not real bulky guy.

Carimi- "I think he's probably the most ready to play. I dont think he will be elite type tackle but he will be a good solid pro." 2 scouts said right tackle only. " I think he's a first round pick almost by default. not as good as Bulaga. smart kid, will battle you, you could do worse.

Pouncey- "Brother was a little more powerful. He wont always be pretty but he anchors really well, which is a key for centers and guards. good range, above average athlete, good size, plays hard. had half a dozen faulty shotgun snaps in 2010.

J. Baldwin- " Best hands in draft, huge targert, great ball skills. definatley more of an X(split end) than a Z(flanker). not a good route runner. maneuverability in his hips is a little bit of an issue. chip on his shoulder wants to prove hes as good as Green and Jones.

Liuget- "He's a whole lot better than i thought he was going to be. he doesnt stay blocked long. hes going to beat you with his strength and his feet. quick off the ball, real stout, good insticts.

D Sherrod- " did not look good at senior bowl. hes a hit or miss fuy. Smarter than you average Mississippi State guy. He will be a starter."

Ijalana-" Athletically he's really good. he can bend. He plays to his competition level. the question is, does his fire burn all the time. turned it up only 2 or 3 times in his career. Hes a slab of a man who underachieves. hes willing to work just hasnt had a coach up his rear.

O Franklin-" I think he's better than Castonzo." another scout said "top 50 or 60 player, better than Carimi, more physical and athletic.

M. Cannon- " He tries to win with his size. he's go some stiffness. does not always finish. not ready to play. it will take him a year or so to get it. when he does he has the ability to play left tackle.

Marcus Gilbert- " Hes not real bright. Underachiever, bust waiting to happen."

Kerrigan- " Hes a Kerney, Vanden Bosch. going to make it because he persitstent and savvy. He cares so much. Hes a little tight.

Paea- "he's got a little bit of a height issue. He's a 3-technique. not a nose tackle.

P. Taylor- "He has to keep his weight under control. He's got ability no question about it. really gifted feet.

M. Austin- "if he had any character at all he would be a 1st round pick. he's a punk but he has special, special feet. He does some athletic stuff that makes you go Holy $@*#%

Jimmy Smith- " He's a pretty good player but he's a jerk." most scouts like him but had expressed major misgivings about his character.

Brandon Harris- " Plays with his eyes. he's confident. we see him more as a late second or third round guy."

Aaron Williams- "Hes more finesse than physical. Then again, Texas guys are pampered and cant fight through adversity. good

PSU_dropout43
03-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Cam Newton - " a big time athlete-he's more smooth and fluid than explosive. His mechanics are all off. He's more of a thrower than passer. He's got that flashy smile and the look in his eye and he's way too scripted-I don't like it. He's too fake. "

Tandon Doss - " might have the best hands in the draft. He's going to make a killing in the slot in this league. "

Torrey Smith - " has a great story. I wanted to like him when I read about his mom-he's a great story. Those Maryland WRs run fast. He'll tear it up on the track. But I watched 5 games and kept waiting for him to show up, and he didn't. He disappears too much for me. "

Jerel Jernigan - " will need time to learn routes. He's really little. Steve Smith (Panthers) went in the 3rd round and was more explosive than him. Mike Wallace was more explosive. Mike Thomas went in the 4th and was a better football player. For a little guy, I wish he were more explosive and shifty "

Virgil Green - " didn't get a lot of love from scouts during the fall, but he made a one handed grab on the sideline where he laid out, and you saw everyone start scribbling in their notebooks. He's more than just the workout warrior that he gets labeled as. "

James Brewer - " has long arms. He's a good athlete. He can run. He's a helluva zone blocker. You don't see him maul anyone in the run blocking, but he has the feet to play on the left side. They had Saffold there, so they kept him on the right side. "

Gabe Carimi - " is a big ole Wis. kid. He's not powerful, and he's not a good athlete. He falls off blocks. He's a leaner. Someone will take him high up there, but it won't be us. He's a right tackle for me. "

Derek Sherrod - " will start in the league, but I would be surprised if he's starting at LT. He doesn't get challenged much. We like him as a OG. "

Adrian Clayborn - " I'll take the one armed *** kicker over most of these guys. His arm is scary. It's noticeable in practice. He's still a damn good player but we'll leave it in the hands of the medical people. "

Corey Liuget - " is a quick and instinctive 3tech. A good athlete and plays with good effort. Even though we play in a 40 front, we want our guys bigger inside. Our coaches would be looking at us funny if we brought him here. He's not big enough for us. We wouldn't look at him until the 3rd. "

Phil Taylor - " flashed in one on one drills-he did not light it up. He pushes up field in drills but you get to team situations, he gets walled off and stuck. "

Casey Matthews - " is active but golly, he is short armed with small hands. He's a short, compact, self made, pumped up guy. I know everyone is going to get wrapped up in his name-I get it and I like his instincts-but he can't wrap or take on blocks. "

Martez Wilson - " is stiff, stiff, stiff-he can't bend down and touch his own ankles. There is a lot to sort through with him, medically and off the field. I don't know what he does for you. "

Justin Houston - " I watched 5 games and I kept waiting for him to make plays, and he didn't do anything. You hear how great he is, but he is over sold in my opinion. I don't see the athletic ability or elite edge speed. "

Patrick Peterson - " goes low too much as a tackler-it drives me nuts. I'm usually dialed in to height-weight-speed prospects, but he is horrible freelancing. He's not good with his back to the ball. If he lands in our division, bombs away. "

Prince Amukamara - " gets caught with his eyes in the backfield a lot-that's why they get him with the back shoulder throws and double moves. He likes to peek and squat. College OCs figured it out. They will go after him at our level. "

Jimmy Smith - " is really talented but I would not touch him. He's too inconsistent for me-he has good games and bad games. I don't like the way he competes. "

Ahmad Black - " is small, and we're not talking about Bob Sanders. Even if he pumps up to 190, he's still small at the end of the day. This is a big man's game. What I always ask myself is-could this guy step in front of Steven Jackson and Adrian Peterson and tackle. I don't see it. Some one else might like him early, but I don't. I think he has to be a CB."

PSU_dropout43
03-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Tyler Sash - " I like his instincts. He's somewhere in that same caliber of player as Giordano, Zbikowski, who I thought was overdrafted, and Sean Considine. "

Jake Locker - " has an ascend factor. What you see is what you get. I don't think you can throw him out there day one, but I would take him over all of them. He has so much upside."

Jacquizz Rodgers - " left school so he could help his mom out. That's why his brother was thinking of leaving last year. His brother has been the one who returns kicks, but that's not to say he can't do it. He'll be a factor just like Darren Sproles."

John Moffitt - "could be a helluva center. He's strictly an in line player, but he's smart enough to play both OG and OC. He's a tough 4 year starter."

Will Rackley - "stood out at the East-West shrine game. He was the best lineman there. It wasn't even close. He has such strong hands."

Marcell Dareus - " is a slam dunk. I would take him....He's a helluva football player.."

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2011, 03:24 PM
thanks for taking the time to post all these snippets, I love reading this kind of stuff. :Cheers

steelblood
03-09-2011, 03:56 PM
geez, they make patrick peterson sound terrible. Did someone poop in their cheerios?

It is really interesting how all over the place they are on some guys and how they seem to agree on others.

Thanks.

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Tyler Sash - " I like his instincts. He's somewhere in that same caliber of player as Giordano, Zbikowski, who I thought was overdrafted, and Sean Considine. "

What a shocker...Sash reminds him of the other 3 white safeties in the league. :roll:

Oviedo
03-09-2011, 04:44 PM
M. Cannon- " He tries to win with his size. he's go some stiffness. does not always finish. not ready to play. it will take him a year or so to get it. when he does he has the ability to play left tackle.

This is why I like Cannon so much.

papillon
03-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Wow, the cornerbacks (all of them) got ridiculed by the scouts, including Peterson and Amukamura.

Pappy

Chadman
03-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Going by that- there may not be any genuine 1st round players!!

birtikidis
03-09-2011, 06:42 PM
geez, they make patrick peterson sound terrible. Did someone poop in their cheerios?

It is really interesting how all over the place they are on some guys and how they seem to agree on others.

Thanks.
I think the top end of the draft is very even this year. Not one guy stands out as a must have. There isn't a lot to distinguish these corners from each other (though I think Peterson is a very good player), none of them are Hands down incredible at their position (ie, there isn't a Rod Woodson or Revis among them). Some of you guys want Harris just because he's a corner, or even Smith, again, just because he's a corner, but guys around the NFL KNOW they're not going to be 1st rounders. just the armchair qb's here.

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2011, 07:02 PM
it's interesting how so many people can have so many different opinions on players, guess that's one of the things that makes the NFL Draft so much fun.

NFL mock draft: Mallett, Liuget and Sherrod moving up draft boards

by Russ Lande
Sporting News 3/9/11

As pro days are in full swing, here's a look at the players rising and falling on draft boards around the league:

Moving up

1. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas. As happens every year, one QB who looks so-so on film will fly up draft boards because he looks like an All-Pro in workouts. Mallett showed elite arm strength and good touch during his Combine and pro day workouts, and without a pass rush coming at him he can make every NFL throw with zip and accuracy. Mallett’s supporters are pushing him because of his elite arm and his experience in a pro-style offense. Still, choosing Mallett in the first round would be a huge risk because he struggles greatly under duress.

2. Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois. As more and more NFL coaches break down his film, they are amazed by his explosiveness, natural strength, competitiveness and speed. He has as much, if not more, physical talent as Auburn's Nick Fairley and Alabama's Marcell Dareus. Do not be shocked to see Liuget continue to climb draft boards and ultimately become a top-five pick.

3. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State. He is an athletic tackle we have hyped since early last season. After a strong Senior Bowl and solid Combine workout, NFL personnel men now see what we saw last September: Sherrod has the height, long arms, quick footwork and athleticism to be an elite pass blocker. He really improved as a run blocker in '10, too, and enhanced his strength to better handle bull rushers. Sherrod could work his way into the top 20 by April 28.

Moving down

1. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado. Solder is a far better athlete than football player. He struggled at the Senior Bowl and clearly needs a lot of work on his technique and footwork. At the Combine, he failed to "wow" anyone. As a former tight end, he is still learning the position and will be a bit of a project to get his production to match his potential. He would be a huge risk in the middle of the first round.

2. Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn. No one doubts he has the rare talent — as he displayed Tuesday at Auburn's on-campus workout — to merit being a top-three pick. Fairley's concern is that Dareus and Liuget have similar talent but no questions about their maturity level and work ethic, and thus both ultimately could be drafted ahead of Fairley. We think the knock on him — about taking plays off — is overblown, but any time there are questions about work ethic a player is going to slide, if only a couple spots.

3. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska. He ran well at the Combine and did well in position drills, personnel men are concerned about what they have seen on game film, especially vs. Oklahoma State. No one wants to knock a good prospect based on one bad game, but more and more NFL teams are using big receivers and Prince was abused by Oklahoma State sophomore Justin Blackmon (6-1, 207), beating him deep and exposing his lack of ball awareness. Scouts worry that he often is in position to play the ball but rarely bats it down or makes the interception.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/20 ... z1G8sgp2sY (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/nfl-mock-draft-mallett-liuget-and-sherrod-moving-up-draft-boards#ixzz1G8sgp2sY)

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I like Liuget as a prospect, but I don't see any way he goes ahead of Fairley.

Then again, I would have said last year that I liked Tyson Alualu as a prospect, but I don't see any way he goes in the top 10.

Shows what I know.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-09-2011, 11:56 PM

Just cancel the first round and add an eighth round.

:D

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2011, 12:16 AM

Just cancel the first round and add an eighth round.

:D

Reminds me of the old Mitch Hedberg bit about how some hotels don't have 13th floors because of superstition.

Those people on the 14th floor know what floor they're really on!

Jump out the window...you'll die faster!

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2011, 02:57 AM
Kiper discusses fallers in the draft, like Da’Quan Bowers

Posted by Evan Silva on March 9, 2011

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper began his media conference call Wednesday discussing prospects with “falling stock.” Kiper touched on a number of players he believes fit this description, including Clemson defensive end Da’Quan Bowers.

Kiper rattled off about nine prospects that have a chance to be the No. 1 overall pick. Bowers was listed toward the back end because of January meniscus surgery. Later in the conference call, Kiper speculated the 2010 NCAA sacks leader could fall to the Browns at No. 6.

Iowa defensive end Adrian Clayborn is another draft-eligible on the downslope, according to Kiper:

“Clayborn’s stock has dropped a bit … because of the arm situation (injury). I’ve got him in the late first (round) now.”

Texas cornerback Aaron Williams is also among Kiper’s fallers, due to “concerns about whether he’s a corner or safety.” Kiper alluded to Williams’ forty time in Indianapolis (4.56, officially), saying “his stock dropped a bit after the Combine.”

According to Kiper, Oregon State running back Jacquizz Rodgers was another Combine faller. “He didn’t test out well. His stock is dropping.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... an-bowers/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/09/kiper-discusses-fallers-in-the-draft-like-daquan-bowers/)

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Iowa defensive end Adrian Clayborn is another draft-eligible on the downslope, according to Kiper:

“Clayborn’s stock has dropped a bit … because of the arm situation (injury). I’ve got him in the late first (round) now.”

Clayborn doesn't have an arm injury per se. He was born with Erb's palsy. Nerve damage during the birthing process has caused restricted range of motion in his right arm. Through physical therapy, he has improved the motion in that arm. It's not like it's some injury that suddenly just popped up and is effecting him now. He's always had it and was able to play in high school and college with it (much like the concern of Hines Ward not having an ACL in one of his knees).

Flasteel
03-10-2011, 11:59 AM
thanks for taking the time to post all these snippets, I love reading this kind of stuff. :Cheers

Agreed! I know very little about the vast majority of draft-eligible players. Even though it's only the opinion of one or two scouts (who may or may not have ulterior motives), this stuff really helps narrow down the list of players to look at.

PSU_dropout43
03-10-2011, 01:49 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 6/27824389 (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6384866/27824389)

Bowers was flagged by a physician at the NFL scouting combine.

A scout I trust told me that a knee injury will cause Clemson defensive lineman Da'Quan Bowers not to participate in the school's Pro Day Thursday and that he has re-scheduled his NFL workout for early April. Bowers is considered the most outstanding defensive end in this year's draft and an almost certain top five choice -- provided, of course, he checks out OK.

But that's where our story gets interesting. This same scout also told me he heard that Bowers was flagged by a physician at the NFL scouting combine for a knee that had the doctor concerned -- something that an AFC coach later confirmed and something that almost certainly will be re-examined.

Bowers hurt his knee during the season and played through the injury, waiting until the season was over to undergo surgery.

PSU_dropout43
03-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Tight ends coaches from the Jaguars and Steelers were among 14 scouts on hand Wednesday to check out Portland State’s Julius Thomas (6-foot-4 3/8, 248 pounds).

Thomas stood on his numbers from the combine but did position drills outdoors on FieldTurf and looked very good.

Julius Thomas
Height: 6043
Weight: 246
40 Yrd Dash: 4.64
20 Yrd Dash: 2.63
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.31
3-Cone Drill: 6.96
Arm: 33
Hand: 10 1/4

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Tight ends coaches from the Jaguars and Steelers were among 14 scouts on hand Wednesday to check out Portland State’s Julius Thomas (6-foot-4 3/8, 248 pounds).

Thomas stood on his numbers from the combine but did position drills outdoors on FieldTurf and looked very good.

Julius Thomas
Height: 6043
Weight: 246
40 Yrd Dash: 4.64
20 Yrd Dash: 2.63
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.31
3-Cone Drill: 6.96
Arm: 33
Hand: 10 1/4

He's another former basketball player who switched to football to play TE. He's a top 10 TE prospect in this draft who could come off the board in round 5 or so.

http://www.norcalsportsroots.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/medium_Thomas-4731.jpg