PDA

View Full Version : Meet Jon Baldwin

steelerkeylargo
03-09-2011, 12:21 PM
http://thenationalfootballreport.com/20 ... n-baldwin/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/03/09/2011-nfl-draft-profile-jon-baldwin/)

Oviedo
03-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Got to say that if Aaron Williams, Brandon Harris, Derek Sherrod and Pouncey are gone at #31 and Baldwin is there I would be totally OK if we took him.

steelerkeylargo
03-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Got to say that if Aaron Williams, Brandon Harris, Derek Sherrod and Pouncey are gone at #31 and Baldwin is there I would be totally OK if we took him.

This is a very deep WR draft. I would rather pass.

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Mayock: Jonathan Baldwin has “well-earned” diva reputation

Posted by Evan Silva on March 26, 2011

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock held a live chat on NFL.com Friday afternoon, and the draft community’s top prognosticator pinpointed the main concern about Pittsburgh receiver Jonathan Baldwin that may result in a slide down the board in late April.

Calling Baldwin “one of the bigger questions in this year’s draft,” Mayock explained that Baldwin has a “well-earned reputation as a diva."

“And publicly trashed his starting QB at Pitt.”

The situation Mayock is referring to was documented by John Taylor of CFT on December 8. Prior to the Pittsburgh Panthers’ January bowl game, Baldwin was asked whether it was “safe to say” he’d leave for the pros after his third-year junior season.

“No it’s not safe to say that,” Baldwin replied. “It doesn’t change my quarterback! … Heck yeah I’m leaving. It can only get worse.”

According to Mayock, Baldwin “could be the third (wide receiver) off the board” next month, “or he could be the fourth or fifth,” depending on NFL teams’ feelings about his attitude.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... eputation/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/26/mayock-jonathan-baldwin-has-well-earned-diva-reputation/)

Mick'sTeam
03-26-2011, 06:37 PM

I'd rather take Austin Pettis in a later round & focus on greater needs at #31.

focosteeler
03-26-2011, 07:07 PM

I'd rather take Austin Pettis in a later round & focus on greater needs at #31.

:Agree

MaxAMillion
03-27-2011, 11:08 AM
I think this kid has Pro Bowl talent. He also reminds me of Plaxico off the field. Pretty sure the Steelers will pass.

steelblood
03-27-2011, 01:13 PM
I'd be completely shocked if the Steelers took a receiver who pouts when he doesn't get the ball at pick #31.

Shawn
03-27-2011, 07:09 PM
After getting the full story on this guy I am convinced the Steelers don't even have Baldwin on their draft board. Known divas are not drafted by the Steelers. I'm sure there has been someone but I can't remember them drafting anyone with a known reputation as being a "diva".

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2011, 07:34 PM
After getting the full story on this guy I am convinced the Steelers don't even have Baldwin on their draft board. Known divas are not drafted by the Steelers. I'm sure there has been someone but I can't remember them drafting anyone with a known reputation as being a "diva".

I'll bet that coaches first recognized the "diva" in Plaxico in Pop Warner...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RVLfSMIB7K0/STabpwH4bgI/AAAAAAAAMzo/RRH96IawovA/s400/PLAXmAN.jpg

birtikidis
03-27-2011, 07:47 PM
IMO any man who qualifies as being a diva, is not worthy of being a steeler... he should only be in SF>

Shawn
03-27-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure I would classify Plaxico as a diva. He lacked maturity, but not sure diva would be a proper description.

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure I would classify Plaxico as a diva. He lacked maturity, but not sure diva would be a proper description.

Plaxico Burress, a Diva Among Giants

12/1/08

http://images.nymag.com/daily/intel/20081201_plexio2_250x375.jpg

Photo: Getty Images

Players like Plaxico Burress — the ones with me-me-me issues, the sports equivalent of the spoiled pop diva — are famous for ruining delicate teams. Terrell Owens gutted the Philadelphia Eagles on the way out the door and might do the same to the Cowboys before he’s done. Chad Johnson has dragged the Bengals down with him. Jerry Porter would likely drive a team of Pop Warner kids to insurrection. Players like Burress serve as distractions, and with the hothouse flowers that make up an NFL team’s locker room, distractions are often what shove a fragile union of professional athletes off the psychological precipice. If what Burress has done lately had happened last year, it very well might have destroyed the New York Giants, and coach Tom Coughlin.

But after winning a Super Bowl and storming out the next season to achieve a 10–1 record, a team tends to see distractions less. The only person the diva can hurt, at that point, is himself. Plaxico Burress has spent most of the season estranged from his teammates. While he could still be one of the NFL’s top receivers, Burress has been metaphorically shooting himself in the leg for months now: He was suspended for a game in September for skipping a practice, and word leaked out that Jersey police have been called “several” times to his home for “domestic disturbances.” (He has also been fined 40 to 50 times since joining the Giants.)

It’s worth noting that Burress’s crime was more out of carelessness than chicanery. Out drinking with teammates Ahmad Bradshaw and Antonio Pierce at a midtown club Friday, Burress was carrying a firearm to protect himself and his “expensive jewelry.” This is more common than you might think — an ESPN.com report from a couple of years ago details athletes’ obsessions with weaponry — and on the one-year anniversary of the murder of Redskins star Sean Taylor, protection is on many players’ minds. Burress’s concealed-weapon license in Florida had expired, and New York State wouldn't have honored it anyway. The incident was stupid, not evil. It was vintage Plaxico.

And of course, the Giants responded to the fracas by completely trouncing the Washington Redskins. (And next week they may clinch the NFC East.) Antonio Pierce, who allegedly helped Burress hide the gun after the incident, played, and played well. It was as if no one noticed. Burress will spend today talking about the incident to police. The Giants will spend the week talking about Burress. And eventually, the team will finally drop him and go about their business, winning games, putting together perhaps the best regular season in team history. Shame Burress won't be there for it.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/12/pl ... ong_g.html (http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/12/plaxico_burress_a_diva_among_g.html)

Shawn
03-28-2011, 01:29 AM
I would disagree...never seen anything diva like from Plax in the Burgh. I seen immaturity but never an Owens like break down. But, hey it's just my opinion take it for what it's worth.

hawaiiansteel
03-28-2011, 02:08 AM
I would disagree...never seen anything diva like from Plax in the Burgh. I seen immaturity but never an Owens like break down. But, hey it's just my opinion take it for what it's worth.

we could both be right, we might just have a different definition of "diva"...

I have considered Plax to be one ever since he skipped the mandatory mini-camp weekend in 2004 and claimed it was because of Mothers Day. Burress' decision to not attend was the first time that a Steelers player under contract skipped a mandatory minicamp during Bill Cowher's tenure.

and here's a quote about Plax's time with the Giants after he left us, I'll bet you the NY Giants would consider Burress to be a diva:

"You can grab a star player here or there and win with them for a while,'' he said. "But usually not for long. Look at the Giants. They knew exactly what they were getting with Plaxico Burress, and they also knew what they had to do when he became a problem. Cut him loose. After he left, it came out that they had more than 90 different [internal] incidents with him. But they got that one big season out of him, won that Super Bowl, and then he pushed it too far and they cut their ties and moved on without him.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... z1Hs6RH7Y4 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/06/19/receivers/1.html#ixzz1Hs6RH7Y4)

feltdizz
03-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Mayock: Jonathan Baldwin has “well-earned” diva reputation

Posted by Evan Silva on March 26, 2011

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock held a live chat on NFL.com Friday afternoon, and the draft community’s top prognosticator pinpointed the main concern about Pittsburgh receiver Jonathan Baldwin that may result in a slide down the board in late April.

Calling Baldwin “one of the bigger questions in this year’s draft,” Mayock explained that Baldwin has a “well-earned reputation as a diva."

“And publicly trashed his starting QB at Pitt.”

The situation Mayock is referring to was documented by John Taylor of CFT on December 8. Prior to the Pittsburgh Panthers’ January bowl game, Baldwin was asked whether it was “safe to say” he’d leave for the pros after his third-year junior season.

“No it’s not safe to say that,” Baldwin replied. “It doesn’t change my quarterback! … Heck yeah I’m leaving. It can only get worse.”

According to Mayock, Baldwin “could be the third (wide receiver) off the board” next month, “or he could be the fourth or fifth,” depending on NFL teams’ feelings about his attitude.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... eputation/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/26/mayock-jonathan-baldwin-has-well-earned-diva-reputation/)

That isn't exactly how the question was asked. The actual question was "If Wanny is fired is it safe to say you are leaving"

and Baldwin said.. "Wanny leaving doesn't change who the QB is"

Baldwin was right to say it though... the QB stunk and was the primary reason PITT had a horrible season. Wanny sabotaged the Panthers by going with the young guy so he could say "we are young" after every loss. Baldwin slid in the draft due to the QB. He targeted Shanahan twice as many times as Baldwin regardless if he was covered or not.

I have no problem with a WR calling out a QB who plays bad... WR are supposed to be selfish and want the ball all the time. A WR who doesn't think he is open on every play is a WR I don't want.

Now Plax... that dude was a diva and I watched him curse out the Giant coaches anytime one of them tried to talk to him. He screwed himself over...

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Sure, WR's think they are open every play. That's fine.

Sure, WR's want the ball more than they are getting it. That's fine too.

But calling out your QB is a diva move, plain and simple, even if his shoddy play might deserve it. We've had some crappy QB play over the years here, but I wouldn't want any of our wideouts badmouthing the play of, say, Kent Graham in public (even though we all know he sucked). That stuff can be dealt with behind closed doors, not via the media like a prima donna.

Oviedo
03-28-2011, 10:07 AM

But calling out your QB is a diva move, plain and simple, even if his shoddy play might deserve it. We've had some crappy QB play over the years here, but I wouldn't want any of our wideouts badmouthing the play of, say, Kent Graham in public (even though we all know he sucked). That stuff can be dealt with behind closed doors, not via the media like a prima donna.

Baldwin's comments may be a "diva" move but the reality is that Baldwin is a "diva" like most top WRs. That isn't always bad and the fact is that Sunseri probably cost Baldwin a million plus dollars. Would you be gracious if you were in that same situation? I wouldn't if I essentially had my season and the chance for reaching the goal I wanted and worked for my entire life screwed up by a piss poor coach and QB.

The young man may have expressed frustration in a way that some didn't like but in my mind it is very understandable.

grotonsteel
03-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Baldwin's comments may be a "diva" move but the reality is that Baldwin is a "diva" like most top WRs. That isn't always bad and the fact is that Sunseri probably cost Baldwin a million plus dollars. Would you be gracious if you were in that same situation? I wouldn't if I essentially had my season and the chance for reaching the goal I wanted and worked for my entire life screwed up by a piss poor coach and QB.

The young man may have expressed frustration in a way that some didn't like but in my mind it is very understandable.

:Agree

Sunseri was pathetic...

Maybe not a correct way to express your frustration but he is still in college...He never opened his mouth during the season. Whatever he said was in the off season.

feltdizz
03-28-2011, 11:30 AM

true.. but Wanny getting fired this season says a lot about this PITT team and his decision to go with Sunseri. The kid had all the tools and a strong arm but he was too scared to use it.

It's not like Baldwin was alone he was just honest enough to say something about it.

It's one thing to call out a decent QB but when you are calling a bum a bum I don't really have that big of a problem with it. The way Sunseri was ignoring Baldwin and staring down Shanahan all season looked personal. Maybe it wasn't but it sure looked like Sunseri tried extra hard not to go to his best weapon.

I think it was personal on both players part and the season was lost over it.

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2011, 01:13 PM
http://www.gbnreport.com/draftbuzz.html

March 24
(8:00 PM): As we speak, the 2011 draft is just 5 weeks away! Hang in there! Not much buzz out there today, though, there are a couple of items of interest to ponder. First, there seems to be a growing sentiment around the league that unless there is a new CBA in place by the time the draft gets underway - did we mention ts just 35 days away today as we speak - there likely won’t be much trading going on, at least in the early going. While there is the expectation that there will be a rookie salary cap in any new CBA, if for some reason the old CBA remains in place, say if the players suing the league get their injunction to suspend the current lockout, then team’s picking early in the draft would again likely be subject to paying those huge salaries to incoming rookies and that may be just too much uncertainty for most teams … If there is to be a plethora of trades this year, they may come after the first ten or so picks are off the board. Two teams to watch are New England and San Diego which have the 17th and 18th picks respectively, and both have extra picks in reserve as trade bait, have not been shy about moving in the past, and likely will be interested in players who may not last until the 17-18 range. Chargers’ G.M. A.J. Smith, though, is being very coy about any possible moves saying that #18 is a “wonderful position to be sitting in” given the overall depth in the 2011 draft. We have had several astute readers ask why NFL personnel people were not allowed to watch the workout of Georgia WR A.J. Green because the only QB available to throw him the ball that day, was considered ‘ineligible’ to participate given the lockout rules, hen it appears that pro scouts did stay and watch the Colorado workout earlier this month despite the fact that Jets’ QB Mark Sanchez was throwing to his old buddy Scotty McKnight … The rule change that will move KOs to the 35-yard line whenever the NFL resumes play could have a minor impact on the draft grade of LSU CB Pat Peterson. Peterson, who also is a top return man, is considered by many to be the best available player in this year’s draft, but a CB has never been the first player selected - or even taken second overall - in the modern era. There had been some speculation that Peterson’s return abilities could just make him that corner so the rule change isn’t going to help... We'll be doing a full update of the GBN Big Board in a few days, but for now it seems pretty clear that Alabama WR Julio Jones has cracked the top 10 on most boards around the league these days and that USC OT Tyron Smith is close. Meanwhile, Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara is likely slipping which could be good news for Houston and/or Detroit which pick 11th and 13th respectively and both need help on the corner. Another player on the rise is Pitt DE Jabaal Sheard, who reportedly could get some late-first round consideration, while WRs Titus Young of Boise State and Pitt's Jon Baldwin could be sliping into the latter part of the seond round.

Steelerphile
03-28-2011, 03:35 PM
The thing about comments like the one Baldwin makes about Sunseri is that I think it needs clarification, because I am just not sure what he means by saying he is dissatified with the QB. Is he saying that Sunseri just is not a big-time QB, or is he upset that Sunseri did not throw him the ball enough for his satisfaction.

I tend to think it is the latter because there were times that I thought Sunseri played well and that just athletically and arm-wise I think he can play at Pitt. There were times that he didn't lead Baldwin correctly, but Sunseri completed around 65% of his passes overall, not bad, and I think Pitt has had worse QBs than him.

Baldwin still had a pretty good season with 53 receptions and more than 800 receiving yards; so he was a big part of the offense. I guess he wanted to be the entire offense. That was somewhat of a comedown from the prior season but not drastically so. I think he should aspire for great heights, nothing wrong with that. but the guy that thinks the world should revolve around him will probably create internal team problems. He more than likely won't catch 53 balls as a rookie WR. How ticked off will he be then?

feltdizz
03-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Baldwin calling out Sunseri after last season would be like Wallace calling out Ben next season for having a 40 receptions.

This Pitt team was expected to reach the BCS because of Baldwin and the RB. Wanny stole it from them by going with a scrub.

How do you go with susneri when you have a QB who beat ND and a few other teams last year and isn't afraid to put it up for his playmaker?

Sunseri completed a 65 percent because he threw a four yard pass on 3rd and 9 all season. He was average at best and Wanny was too scared to play the best QB because he may have went 12-1 and raised the programs expectations. Wanny is Bill Cowher. Everything but a QB...

I'm not a Flacco fan but how does Flacco leave PITT? Its Wanny and the guy hated QB,s who made plays

Shawn
03-29-2011, 08:01 PM

we could both be right, we might just have a different definition of "diva"...

I have considered Plax to be one ever since he skipped the mandatory mini-camp weekend in 2004 and claimed it was because of Mothers Day. Burress' decision to not attend was the first time that a Steelers player under contract skipped a mandatory minicamp during Bill Cowher's tenure.

and here's a quote about Plax's time with the Giants after he left us, I'll bet you the NY Giants would consider Burress to be a diva:

"You can grab a star player here or there and win with them for a while,'' he said. "But usually not for long. Look at the Giants. They knew exactly what they were getting with Plaxico Burress, and they also knew what they had to do when he became a problem. Cut him loose. After he left, it came out that they had more than 90 different [internal] incidents with him. But they got that one big season out of him, won that Super Bowl, and then he pushed it too far and they cut their ties and moved on without him.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... z1Hs6RH7Y4 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/06/19/receivers/1.html#ixzz1Hs6RH7Y4)

Ehh...I tend to be wrong quite often. I suppose I just didn't see Plax with a ton of embarassing rants on camera.