PDA

View Full Version : Potential Steelers potential draft picks: Rounds 1 & 2

hawaiiansteel
03-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Potential Steelers draft picks by round, Round 1

by seton hall and steelers on Mar 4, 2011

This is a 7 part series. I will begin with round 1 and continue to post right through round 7 over the course of the next week

Round 1 has been one of the very controversial rounds on BTSC. We all know what we need: OG, OT, CB, and NT are our major needs. We all know that Colbert takes the BPA in round 1 as well. We also know that picking at 31, their is a lot of uncertainty about who will and won't be available. Lets take a look at some prospects that I think the Steelers will have on their board in round 1:

1. Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida: Pouncey is the best guard in the class and many say he will not be available when we pick. But I don't recall the last time (excluding Iupati who was just an exceptional prospect) a guard with no positional flexibility has went in the middle or latter portion of round 1. However, Mike's draft stock will be elevated by some teams because of his brother's success. If Mike is available, even though I would want somebody else, I think the Steelers will take him. Other teams that could look at Mike are the Bucs, Giants, Eagles, and Bears.

2. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami: Harris is the 3rd best corner in this year's draft (IMO) due to his great speed, athleticisim, ball skills, instincts, and tackling. While he is only 5-9, he makes up for his lack of height with a 41" vertical leap and a nose for the football. Harris is an incredible tackler and thrives in press man coverage (Alistar, I know you are going to tell me he is not good in press coverage but he played press coverage his entire year at UM). This would be my ideal 1st round pick for the Steelers. Other teams that could look at him are the Lions, Eagles, Seahawks, and Ravens.

3. Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor: Taylor is by far the best NT in the draft. He has incredible size and speed and has a great ability to eat up multiple blocks and still collapse the pocket. He has seen his stock rise incredibly over the last month and likely won't be available when we pick. Even if he is, I could see the Steelers going in another direction. Other teams that will look at Taylor are the Texans, Chiefs, and Jets.

4. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State: Sherrod is the 4th best tackle in this draft and if he is available, I would be happy taking him. He excels in pass blocking but is also strong enough to be a good run blocker. He works hard and has good footwork and could become a very good tackle in the NFL. Other teams that could look at him are the Patriots, Giants, Colts, Eagles, Falcons, and Bears.

5. Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA: Moore is the best safety by far in this draft class. He has great size and speed and has a nose for the football. I give him a 1st round grade due to his ability to become a stud FS. He would likely push Ryan Clark right away for the starting spot. He will almost definitely be available when we pick.

6. Anthony Costanzo, OT, Boston College: Costanzo is the 5th best tackle in the draft and has great potential. He could play either tackle spot and if we don't retain Colon, then tackle becomes a pretty big need. Costanzo works hard and loves to compete. Other teams that could look at him are the Colts, Patriots, and Bears.

7. Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado: This is how low I have Smith. Even though he is extremely talented, he is just too big of a headcase to be the Steelers pick. I honestly don't think the Steelers will even look at him but if we take him and get him to focus on football, he will be a great player. If he keeps acting like a thug, he will be traded away very fast. Other teams that will look at him are the Lions, Eagles, and Seahawks.

8. Marcus Cannon, OG, TCU: Cannon is a massive guard that is also very athletic. He would be a huge upgrade at RG and, IMO, is very close to Mike Pouncey's talent level. He is coming off a great combine performance and would be a decent pick in the 1st round.

Round 2:

Round 2 is going to be interesting to see what the Steelers do. If they take defense in round 1, will they take defense in round 2? Will they double dip on corners? Will they double dip on OL? Who knows. They will likely take the BPA again in round 2. Without further ado, here is the round 2 prospects:

1. Ras I Dowling, CB, Virginia: Dowling is a first round talent but injuries in his Senior season and at the combine will cause him to fall to the 2nd round. We might have to trade up for him but I would be happy if we did. He ran a 4.4 despite having to pull up and basically jog for the last 5 yards. He has great size, great speed, and is a good tackler.

2. Robert Sands, SS/FS, West Virginia: Sands is a freak athlete and has great size. He could start his career at FS and when Troy retires or becomes to slow to play SS, they can switch positions. Sands is a great hitter and tackler and has great instincts. Another player we might have to trade up for but I would not be opposed to trade up for him.

3. Benjamin Ijalana, OT/OG, Villanova: Another player we have to trade up for in the 2nd round. Ijalna has great versatility and has dominated at Nova. He needs some work on his strength but he will end up being very good. Could start at RG right away and eventually transition to RT.

4. Curtis Brown, CB, Texas: Brown is not my favorite prospect but he would be a fine pick at the bottom of the second round. He has good size and speed and is great in coverage. His biggest concern is tackling but with an NFL conditioning program and proper coaching, he could fix that flaw.

5. Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor: Watkins is 26 years old but he is a very good guard. He would be a big upgrade at RG and would start on day 1. He has great footwork and good size but could learn to use his hands better.

6. Jason Pinkston, OT/OG, Pittsburgh: Pinkston is another player with great versatility. He could start at RG and eventually transition to either tackle spot. Would be great insurance on the line. He has good footwork and uses his hands well but needs to add some strength.

7. Brandon Burton, CB, Utah: Burton was a first round pick possibility earlier in the year but other corners have knocked him down to the 2nd/3rd round. He has great coverage and tackling abilitites and would be a good pick. Reports are the Steelers are very interested in him.

8. Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa: I don't think DE is a need but if Ballard is available at 63 it could be very tempting.

9. Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada: Nothing like adding another pass rusher. Moch might just be the best pass rushing OLB in the draft besides Von Miller.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... nd-round-2 (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/3/4/2031071/potential-steelers-draft-picks-by-round-round-2)

Shawn
03-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Ballard might creep up into the late first range.

I would be very ok with Sherrod and Burton. That would be a very solid start to the draft.

steelerkeylargo
03-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Pinkston & Sands are most likely 4th rounders.

Oviedo
03-05-2011, 11:28 PM
I'd be happy with:

Round 1: Sherrod or Cannon

Round 2: Burton or Ballard

StarSpangledSteeler
03-06-2011, 12:08 PM
This is a very good thread. I was going to post one just like this.

The second round is extremely difficult to determine because (as you me i think ntioned) it depends a lot on which position we go with in the first. As of right now, Harris is probably the BPA in an area of need, but at 1.31 we'll just have to wait and see who slips. If Pouncey or one of the 5 OT's is there, we have to go OL IMO.

hawaiiansteel
03-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Post-NFL Combine mock draft

Peter Schrager is a frequent contributor to NFL and college football coverage on FOXSports.com.

Updated Mar 3, 2011

FIRST ROUND

1. Carolina Panthers (2-14), Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson: Though I could see either Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert making a late push after their pro days, I think the first overall pick comes down to two names: Bowers and North Carolina defensive end Robert Quinn. Panthers fans might be clamoring for a franchise quarterback after a dreadful 16-touchdown season out of the Carolina offense in 2010, but I think Ron Rivera and Co. will grab a pass-rushing defensive end who can contribute in Year 1, instead. The nation's leader in sacks (15.5), the All-America defensive end is a beast off the edge and a rare pass-rushing threat. Though this might not wow the local fan base, it's the right pick.

2. Denver Broncos (4-12), Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU: When the Broncos re-signed Champ Bailey with a long-term deal last week, the draft pundits immediately flipped the switch and eliminated a Peterson-to-Denver scenario. Why? Bailey’s the perfect mentor to groom Peterson, who’d be the highest cornerback selected in history if taken second. Peterson’s the rare 6-foot cornerback with blazing speed and physical cover corner attributes. With the Broncos moving from a 3-4 to John Fox’s 4-3 scheme, both Robert Ayers and Elvis Dumervil could slide from outside linebacker to defensive end. Pairing Peterson and Bailey together would only help the front seven get pressure on the quarterback because quarterbacks would likely have to hold the ball longer. It’d also give the Broncos the best corner tandem in the league. You don't pass on a guy like Peterson because you have another guy who plays the same position. You go with both of them and you let the other teams in your division try to figure out how to beat you.

3. Buffalo Bills (4-12), Marcell Dareus, DE/DT, Alabama: Though several draftniks have linked the Bills to Newton because of Chan Gailey’s history and fondness with athletic, mobile quarterbacks, I still think Ryan Fitzpatrick is the quarterback for both the present and the future in Buffalo. He might not be a household name or a first-round fantasy pick, but the Harvard grad had about as strong a season as a quarterback for a four-win team could possibly have had, carrying an offense littered with rookies and unknown veterans on his back for much of 2010. The Bills need help all over their defensive line as Buffalo gave up 169 rushing yards per game last season, worst in the league by a large margin. With a draft crop as bountiful as ever before at the defensive end and tackle positions, I like the Bills to scoop up Dareus, the do-it-all defensive end. Everyone’s talking about Nick Fairley after his dominant performance in the BCS national championship game, but I actually like his in-state rival as a better fit for Buffalo. With Kyle Williams set at defensive tackle in the 3-4, Dareus could be a pretty nasty addition to the three-man front at defensive end. He’s got great pass-rushing skills — go check the 2009 season's BCS title game — and can stop the run. With Marcus Stroud being released last week, the Bills’ defensive ends are Dwan Edwards, Spencer Johnson and Alex Carrington — not exactly the Purple People Eaters. There’s nothing flashy about Dareus; he’s just darn good. Buffalo fans will respect and admire what he brings to the table: production.

4. Cincinnati Bengals (4-12), Cam Newton, QB, Auburn: Owner Mike Brown has a long history of falling in love with quarterback prospects, grabbing them early in the draft, and seeing them sink or swim in Cincinnati. Whether it’s been Akili Smith (sink), David Klingler (sink) or Carson Palmer (swim), Brown loves going for the big splash at QB and stealing the draft headlines. There’s perhaps no bigger splash in this year’s draft than Mr. Newton. Cam had quite a weekend in Indianapolis, starting it off by getting roasted for the “icon” comment, owning up to those comments and explaining himself in interviews, showing up built like a super hero, and then having an up-and-down workout Sunday. Cincy has needs on defense and there’s an awfully impressive wide receiver talent in A.J. Green, but I think the Bengals go big and go with Newton. Join him with Jay Gruden — Cincy’s new offensive coordinator — and let’s see the sparks fly.

5. Arizona Cardinals (5-11), Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M: No one was higher on Miller than me before the Combine. Afterward? I’m even higher on him than I was then. Miller had a fantastic few days in Indianapolis, showing the physical attributes and raw skills we all expected, and impressing everyone who met with him. A perfect fit for Arizona’s 3-4 at outside linebacker, I think he’s going to be an incredible player right away. I’m talking All-Pro during his rookie year type good. So versatile that he had a position created for him at Texas A&M — aptly called the “joker” — Miller followed up a 17-sack junior campaign with a fine senior season, recording 9.5 sacks, 14.5 tackles for losses, six batted-down passes, three forced fumbles and two recovered fumbles in 2010. Arizona’s linebacker corps was among the worst in the league in 2010. Quarterback’s a need, sure — the Cards will have to consider Blaine Gabbert long and hard here — but I think Arizona goes with Miller.

6. Cleveland Browns (5-11), A.J. Green, WR, Georgia: If Blaine Gabbert’s still on the board, Cleveland will be fielding phone calls from several teams around the league — San Francisco, Tennessee, Washington and Minnesota in particular — looking to make a quick jump to grab him. Could the Browns trade the pick to Washington, scoop up the Skins’ second-rounder and select either Green or Julio Jones at No. 10? It’s possible. With Cleveland moving to a 4-3 scheme and both Nick Fairley and Robert Quinn — two elite defensive linemen — still on the board, there will be sentiment to take one of the big boys, too. In the end, I think Cleveland's braintrust takes the gamebreaker in Green. The Browns offense last year was Peyton Hillis, a little Colt McCoy, and a whole lot of fourth receivers playing the role of primary and secondary targets. McCoy gets an elite wideout to grow old with and Cleveland gets a star attraction. Though Julio Jones wowed at the combine last week, the 6-foot-4 Green is still my top rated receiver in this draft. In three years at Georgia, he recorded 166 receptions for 2,619 yards and 23 touchdowns. He’ll leave the Dawgs for the Dawg Pound.

7. San Francisco 49ers (6-10), Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri: San Francisco stays put and gets the guy it might have drafted with the No. 1 pick. Gabbert opted not to throw at the Combine, but should wow at his pro day. He’s built like an NFL quarterback, has the throwing skills of an NFL quarterback, and is thought to be a “first one in the facility, last one to leave” dedicated team leader. Coach Jim Harbaugh and owner Jed York could be tempted by some of the defensive line talent on the board and there might even be some fan sentiment to draft an elite corner like Prince Amukamara here. I think they’re going with Gabbert if he’s available.

8. Tennessee Titans (6-10), Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn: Thought by many to go first overall to Carolina heading into last weekend, I’ve got Fairley slipping all the way to No. 8 in this mock draft. He was fantastic in his workouts Monday and great in interviews, answering questions about a mediocre 2009 season head on. But the way I have this draft shaking out, Fairley—who could still go first overall—is going to slip to Tennessee, where the Titans front office and new coaching staff will be more than happy to grab him. Fairley can move inside and play the DT in Tennessee’s 4-3 defense, playing for his former college D-Line coach—Tracy Rocker.

9. Dallas Cowboys (6-10), Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska: A host of second- and third-tier quarterbacks like David Garrard, Rex Grossman and Shaun Hill lit up the Cowboys in 2010. The Cowboys defense gave up an unheard 33 touchdowns last year. Cornerback and safety are the most pressing needs on the roster, and I think Dallas goes with a defensive back over an offensive tackle with this pick. Though he didn’t rack up the interceptions in 2010, Amukamara (pronounced ah-MOO-kuh-MAR-ah) lived up to the hype: He was an All-American, Big 12 defensive player of the year and Jim Thorpe Award finalist. He'd be a welcomed addition to Rob Ryan's unit.

10. Washington Redskins (6-10), Jake Locker, QB, Washington: If it weren’t already up to this point, the 10th pick is where the draft would get reaaaaaaaaaaally interesting on April 28th. It will be about 9:30 pm EST on a Thursday. Had plans to settle in with the lady and take in a sitcom? Cancel them and buckle up, baby. With Robert Quinn — a player in the conversation of going first overall— sitting there in the green room, the Shanahans go with quarterback Jake Locker 10th overall. All those questions about Locker’s accuracy? I can’t imagine two better tutors than Mike and Kyle Shanahan. Rex Grossman isn’t the long-term answer at quarterback in Washington, but he certainly showed he has a little left in the tank at the end of the 2010 season. Perhaps Grossman starts the season, helps Locker learn the offense he’s been mastering since his days in Houston, and eventually hands off the reins midseason. The ‘Skins haven’t had a quarterback drafted this high since Heath Shuler. Hopefully, this pick turn out a bit differently.

11. Houston Texans (6-10), Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina: After two hours of having ESPN and NFL Network cameras shoved in his face in the green room, Robert Quinn’s name is finally called, and he ends up in the defense where he actually fits the best. The Texans are moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 scheme, opening up a lot of questions about the personnel they currently have in-house. Analyzing the roster, one thing we know is that they’re thin on players capable to stop the run as 3-4 defensive ends. The Texans would be thrilled to see Quinn slip to 11. Dismissed after accepting an estimated $5,600 worth of benefits, the UNC star missed the entire 2010 season. He handled himself awfully well at the combine, answering questions about the situation and admitting he made mistakes. He also ran a sub 4.8 40-yard-dash and wowed in workouts. Eleventh overall is the absolute lowest he’ll go.

12. Minnesota Vikings, (6-10) Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas: Oh, baby. Here’s where things get a whole lot more interesting! Last week, industry leaders had Ryan Mallett going in the second or third round. After he was “abrasive” and “distant” in interviews with the media Saturday, I saw some draftniks mentioning him as a third — yes, third — day selection. To that, I said “Hog”wash — let’s see him throw the football. And on Sunday, throw the football he did. Mallett can toss the long ball with such relative ease and showed dramatic improvements last season in both his accuracy and consistency in the short passing game. There are questions about his maturity and his accuracy and footwork still aren't great, but those can be worked on. With quarterback questions in Minnesota, I can see the Vikings front office grabbing the biggest wild card in this draft at 12th overall. Ryan Mallett is not a second- or third-round pick. He’s a first-rounder. And in this case, barring any disastrous workouts or one-on-one interviews in the next two months, I’ve got him as a top 15 pick.

13. Detroit Lions (6-10), Nate Solder, OT, Colorado: Once Tyron Smith was ruled out of competing in the Combine’s drills because of fluid in his knee, the 6-foot-8, 319-pounder was able to steal the show in Indy on Saturday. The converted tight end had the top 10-yard split among all of the offensive linemen and was the fastest tackle in the 40. Detroit has needs at linebacker and in their defensive backfield, but I don’t see Jim Schwartz and Co. passing on the talented Solder. He needs to get stronger. He will.

14. St. Louis Rams (7-9), Julio Jones, WR, Alabama: The Rams front office would be jumping for joy, doing flips in the war room if Jones is still available. Sam Bradford needs a big, physical go-to guy and Jones certainly fits the bill. A 6-foot-2, physical target with elite blocking skills (compared to Hines Ward and Keyshawn Johnson by some), he’ll be an immediate upgrade for the Rams offense. Jones wowed his critics who’d called him “slow” with a surprising sub 4.4 40-time last weekend and nearly broad jumped 12 feet. Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels will look to improve the aerial game in St. Louis. Adding Jones would be a fantastic initial move. As for the player he models his game most after? Jones surprised reporters with his answer — Ray Lewis. "I have a defensive mentality. I'm not scared to hit. I'm a physical guy. I look for that. I like to hit defensive players because they're not used to getting hit. They're used to hitting offensive players and getting them out of their comfort zone. So when I hit them, I try to get them out of their comfort zone.''

15. Miami Dolphins (7-9), Mark Ingram Jr., RB, Alabama: Any doubts about Ingram’s junior season were erased with an unbelievable performance in the Capital One Bowl. Often compared to Emmitt Smith for his running style, Ingram is an every-down back and the Dolphins will always be a run-first team. Both Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown are free agents-to-be, and the Dolphins offense was a weekly horror show this past season. Ingram’s the top back in this draft and arguably the only running back worthy of a first-round pick in this year’s crop. He had a solid showing in Indy.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars (8-8), Cameron Jordan, DE, California: The Jaguars struck gold with a defender out of Cal in last year’s draft with Tyson Alualu and opt to go right back to that Berkeley well this year. Jordan’s a talented five-technique player who stole the show at the Senior Bowl in January. The son of a former NFL All-Pro — his father is Vikings great Steve Jordan — Jordan’s a hard-working, high-energy guy that will be right up Jack del Rio’s alley. Jacksonville has needs at corner and safety, and the team committed much of last year’s draft to the defensive line. They’ll look at UCLA safety Rahim Moore long and hard, but go with another elite defensive lineman instead.

17. New England Patriots (14-2, from Oakland, 8-8), Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College: With three of the first 33 picks in April’s draft, look for New England to address their needs along the offensive and defensive lines, and grab a pass rushing outside linebacker, as well. It’d be a strange day if there were still this many elite offensive tackles left on the board, but it’s certainly possible. I think Castonzo’s the right guy for New England. At 6-foot-7, 310 pounds, Castonzo’s a local kid who excelled for four years at BC. Castonzo started as a freshman in 2006, protecting Matt Ryan in Chestnut Hill, and only got better as the years went on. A 53-game starter in college, he fits the Bill Belichick mold. He was the buzz of Indianapolis after his Combine workout Saturday, solidifying his spot as a top-20 selection.

18. San Diego Chargers (9-7), Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri: The Chargers wouldn’t flinch if Smith’s still on the board. Though he played just two years at Missouri and missed some of his sophomore season with a broken leg, Smith was a high-impact player when he was actually on the field. In 2009, his freshman year, he recorded 19 tackles for a loss and 11.5 sacks. Smith would be a wonderful addition to an already stout Chargers defense.

19. New York Giants (10-6), Tyron Smith, OT, USC: There was a bit of concern heading into the Combine that Smith wasn’t big enough to play offensive tackle in the NFL. He put those worries to rest by weighing in at 307 pounds and carrying the weight well. With more potential than any other offensive tackle in this draft, he’s the perfect fit for the Giants — a team known to take a gamble on an uber-athletic talent with room for improvement. Smith didn’t work out for NFL teams last weekend because of fluid in his knee. He’ll get the opportunity to show his unlimited potential during his pro day on March 31.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (10-6), Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa: The Bucs struck gold all over the place in the 2010 draft and became the first team in history to start 10 rookies and finish a season above .500. They were the league’s youngest team after Week 8 and fell just one game shy of making the playoffs. Gerald McCoy, Roy Miller and Brian Price are three young interior defensive linemen who should be longtime studs in Tampa, and the defensive backfield was solid from start to finish. But the Bucs’ leader in sacks last season (Stylez G. White) had only 4.5. Clayborn had a solid season, facing double teams on most passing downs, after an incredible junior year in which he recorded 11.5 sacks. He’s considered one of the top seniors in this draft. He performed well at the Combine, answering any and all questions about his dip in production in 2010. I’m already giddy about the Tampa D for next season. Add Clayborn into the mix and they should be even nastier.

21. Kansas City Chiefs (10-6), Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia: In Eric Berry, Glenn Dorsey, Javier Arenas and Tyson Jackson, the Chiefs are already loaded with top SEC talent on defense. Add Houston to the mix and watch out. Houston is a natural fit to eventually replace Mike Vrabel at the outside linebacker spot in Kansas City. A 6-foot-3, 270-pounds, Houston ran a jaw-dropping 4.63 40-yard-dash Monday in Indy. He recorded 10 sacks in Todd Grantham’s 3-4 scheme in Athens this season. KC’s a good fit.

22. Indianapolis Colts (10-6), Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin: Carimi had a very solid weekend at the combine, despite some critics saying they weren’t too overwhelmed. The 2010 Outland Trophy winner could sneak into the top 20, but if he’s available at 22 — the Colts will pounce. Capable of playing either tackle or guard, Carimi comes from a pro-style offense at Wisconsin where he starred for four years. The Colts could use an elite cornerback, too, but I think Carimi is the move.

23. Philadelphia Eagles (10-6), Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple: I’ve been a loud Wilkerson supporter for several months now. My sleeper pick lived up to the hype in Indianapolis, working out well Monday. The two-time All-MAC selection starred at Temple, where he played two years as a three-technique in a 4-3, and then one tremendous junior year as a five-technique in the 3-4. A hard worker with unlimited potential, this year’s big surprise name could very well be the 6-foot-5, 305-pound Wilkerson. A local kid, he’s a run stuffer inside with pass-rushing capabilities. Andy Reid loves building from the inside out, and in Wilkerson, he can add depth to a defensive line that was ravaged by injuries last season. New defensive coordinator Juan Castillo will get a nice draft day treat in the Philly product.

24. New Orleans Saints (11-5), Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State: At 6-foot-5, 294 pounds, Heyward looks to be the perfect fit for Gregg Williams’ attacking 4-3 alignment. The Saints' pass rushers didn’t apply the same pressure on opposing offenses last season as they did the year before. Heyward would do just that, and also has a personal connection to the Saints franchise. Heyward’s father was the late Saints great, Craig “Ironhead” Heyward. The Ohio State star must prove he’s recovered from reconstructive elbow surgery he underwent in January, but few doubt he will. He should be fine by April, where I see him going to New Orleans as a late first-round pick.

25. Seattle Seahawks (7-9), Brandon Harris, CB, Miami: The Seattle defensive backfield was lit up throughout the 2010 season and is the Seahawks’ primary need. Earl Thomas was a rookie phenom last year, but it’s pretty much him and a group of makeshift veterans manning the defensive backfield. Insert Harris, an exciting cornerback prospect who could go as high as No. 13 to Detroit.

26. Baltimore Ravens (12-4), Mike Pouncey, G/C, Florida: Oh, baby. What better way to spice up the already vitriolic Ravens-Steelers rivalry than pitting two twin brothers up against each other for the next decade. Though the Ravens have more pressing needs at defensive back than they do on their offensive line, they’d certainly love to scoop up an elite interior lineman like Pouncey if he slips to 26th. Capable of playing either center or guard, I could see Baltimore starting him out at the latter, letting him learn from 14-year veteran Matt Birk, and then moving him to center once Birk’s Baltimore playing days are done. Everyone I spoke with was blown away with Pouncey’s build, strength, quickness, and overall love and enthusiasm for the game at the Combine.

27. Atlanta Falcons (13-3), Titus Young, WR, Boise State: This one will be viewed as a shocker, but I think Atlanta grabs the speedy Young as a complement to Roddy White. There are needs on the defensive line and the defensive backfield in Atlanta, but Matt Ryan could use another reliable young weapon, too. Suspended for the 2008 season, Young had monster '09 and '10 campaigns. He ran a 4.4 40-yard dash at the Combine and showed off some impressive hands. This pick will cause confusion at Radio City, but is the kind of gutsy first-round pick that separates the elite teams from the second tier.

28. New England Patriots (14-2), J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin: The Patriots front office would be quite happy to see Watt — a top-10 possibility after a strong set of workouts in Indy — slip to 28th. As versatile as any defensive end in this draft, Watt can play defensive end in a 3-4 or a 4-3. A five-technique guy, he weighed in at 292 pounds, a tad light for a 3-4 defensive end, but he can beef up. A 260-pound tight end at Central Michigan, Watt is a tireless worker who’s developed into a terrific defensive end. A fine young man who’ll wow with his football IQ, look for Belichick and Co. to scoop him up if he’s still on the board this late.

29. Chicago Bears (12-4), Rodney Hudson, G/C, Florida State: The Bears have needs across the offensive line and would be more than pleased to snag Hudson, a fast-rising prospect who impressed during his workouts and interviews at the Combine. Though he played guard in college, Hudson — who weighed in at 299 pounds in Indy — could be a center in the NFL. Versatile, smart and sound, Hudson would be an immediate upgrade for Chicago’s shaky front five.

30. New York Jets (11-5), Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA: Rex Ryan’s already talking Super Bowl, and David Harris is going to get the franchise tag. But there are several more questions to answer for Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum this offseason. New York has 16 free agents to either lock up or let go, and three wideouts — Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith — are all about to hit the open market if/when a new CBA is worked out. If the lockout’s still going on come draft time, the Jets will be an interesting team to watch on April 28. If Ayers is still on the board, he could be the guy for Gang Green. A great physical specimen who’s familiar with the 3-4 and the 4-3, he’ll be a nice get this late in the first round for the Jets.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4), Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State: Though hardly considered the league’s gold standard last year, the Steelers offensive line did a pretty darn good job protecting Ben Roethlisberger in 2010. Flozell Adams obviously isn’t the long-term answer at tackle, though, and two other big boys are set to become free agents if a new CBA is worked out. Pittsburgh should go offensive line with this pick. Enter the rather versatile Sherrod. The All-SEC performer helped pave the way for a Mississippi State rushing attack that averaged 227.6 yards per game in 2010. He’s a road paver who can play all over the line. If Sherrod’s still hanging around at No. 31, it’s a solid pickup for the AFC champs.

32. Green Bay Packers (10-6), Danny Watkins, G/T, Baylor: If the Super Bowl champion Packers can land one of the top four offensive tackles with the 32nd pick, they’ll pounce. If they can’t, the possibilities with this pick open up substantially. Why not give Aaron Rodgers another wideout to work with? How about an other outside linebacker? There are several ways they can go. People forget, but in addition to the crew they won the Super Bowl with, the Packers also get Jermichael Finley back from injury in 2011. They’ll be loaded. With this pick, I’ve got them grabbing Watkins, a versatile offensive lineman who could likely play either left tackle or guard at the next level. Watkins’ path to the NFL is an incredible one. After being a firefighter for four years out of high school, he went to junior college where he was an All-America standout. He eventually left for Baylor and wowed there. At 26 years old, he’d be the oldest first round selection of the batch.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL- ... ngs-030211 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-mock-draft-after-Scouting-Combine-analysis-rankings-030211)

The Sodfather
03-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I see no sense in taking a 2 down player (Taylor) in the first.

hawaiiansteel
03-08-2011, 02:43 AM
Behind The Steel Curtain Mock Draft

by Rebecca Rollett on Mar 8, 2011

Round 1

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/560277/Pounc4ys_medium.jpg

Well, I've made my feelings plain - I would be ecstatic if Mike Pouncey, OG, fell to us. I can't imagine a better way to instantly upgrade the looks of our offensive line than by adding Maurkice's twin brother. And of course he doesn't just bring some very fine looks to the table - he brings an array of footbally skills. Furthermore, this way we aren't likely to lose our fabulous center as soon as he's a free agent to the team that signed his brother. Unfortunately, I'm well aware that Mike is the top-rated guard in the draft, and that unless the Steelers are prepared to trade up, possibly a rather long way, we aren't likely to get Mike. Therefore, I'm sticking with the O-line, which admittedly needs help, and pick #2 for Round 1 is Derek Sherrod, OT.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/560291/Sherrod_medium.jpg

Highly rated for both character and ability, Sherrod was honored this season as one of 16 players to be selected to the National Football Foundation’s Scholar-Athlete Class of 2010. Candidates must "have a grade point average of at least 3.2 on a 4.0 scale, have outstanding football ability as a first team player and have demonstrated strong leadership and citizenship." He would be a wise choice if we don't manage to re-sign RT Willie Colon, and although Colon is an accomplished tackle, Sherrod is a definite upgrade in the looks department. Given the current uncertainty at the tackle position, Sherrod would be a worthy first round pick. If Sherrod is unavailable, or other factors (such as which of our free agents we sign) make an OT not the best fit for round 1, I hereby present a prospect for OG who is really intriguing me - Danny Watkins.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/560298/Watkins_medium.jpg

Fortunately I watched an interview with Watkins rather than just skimming over the Google Images, because I would have missed a fine-looking man who definitely doesn't photograph well. At age 26 he is the oldest player in the draft, but he only has four years of football on him, and has a lot of maturity and life experience that would be a fabulous addition to the Steelers locker room. Obviously his visage would be a fabulous addition to the right guard slot as well, and he has the flexibility to play tackle if necessary. Fortunately he is a former fireman, because it's going to be pretty hot when he's around!

Round 2

Although my BLA metric implies that only the best-looking player available to us in any given round will be selected, I am no more bound by my metric than I think the Steelers are by the BPA metric - in other words, practical considerations naturally color the final result. The practical considerations that led me to pick O line first and defensive backs second should be obvious - the best of the defensive backs will almost certainly be long gone by the time we pick in round 1, but there are a number of interesting possibilities available in later rounds. And even if we manage to re-sign Ike Taylor, only a hitherto unimagined new defensive strategy on the part of our resident genius Dick LeBeau would make the selection of a corner or two unwarranted. And while I'm not discounting that possibility, I'm taking the more conventional route and choosing three corners for round 2. My first choice, who like my first round pick of Mike Pouncey might not be achievable, is Ras-I Dowling.

Dowling seems to be a popular choice on many BTSC mock drafts, and from a footbally perspective he's certainly interesting. But one glance at the photo below should demonstrate why he was my top corner pick.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/560346/Picture_1_medium.png

His defensive coach made two interesting statements - a) "he has no weaknesses as a player," and b) "this is the kind of man that you get down on your knees and pray every night that your daughter brings home." Because of injury concerns, it seems that we might be lucky enough to pick him up in round 2, and that would suit me just fine. If we don't, my second Round 2 pick is Brandon Burton:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/560360/Picture_3_medium.png

Burton is a junior, which it seems that Tomlin likes. Admittedly his stock seems to be rising, and he may go well before we pick in Round 2, but if he's there and Dowling isn't I'd be happy to see him fall to us. If not, Davon House is my backup pick.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/560368/Picture_4_medium.png

House has great hair, which is always an asset, and turned in some nice numbers at the combine, so his tenure at lowly NMSU shouldn't unduly influence us.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/3/8/2033569/mommas-mock-draft#storyjump)

RuthlessBurgher
03-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Although this woman seems to base a good deal of weight to how attractive the players are, I can't argue with who she settled on. Her top targets in the first two rounds, like mine, are Mike Pouncey and Ras-I Dowling. If neither is there, however, I would certainly not be upset with her secondary fallback selections of Derek Sherrod and Brandon Burton. I would not be surprised to see the Steelers end up with those two.

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2011, 07:19 PM
I think DeeDub wrote this mock for Behind The Steel Curtain... :D

steel.curtain's 2 Round Mock

by steel.curtain.number2 on Mar 8, 2011

Round 1:

1. Carolina Panthers: AJ Green WR, Georgia

Before the combine, this pick came down to Green or Fairley in my opinion. But Fairley's subpar combine made it easier to go with Green. He'll pair with (and eventually replace) Steve Smith to take attention away from the Panther's strong running game.

2. Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson CB, LSU

The Broncos resigned Champ Bailey, but I still think it would be a mistake to pass on a talent like Peterson. Denver has nothing behind Bailey at CB and they have to get some youth in their secondary. Peterson should be a shutdown corner who is also a beast in the return game.

3. Buffalo Bills: Marcel Dareus DT, Alabama

Dareus capitalized on Fairley's miscues at the combine and is now the top DT on most draft boards. The Bills should operate as if Ryan Fitzpatrick will be their QB for the foreseeable future. They need to retool their OL, but there aren't any OL worth the pick and Dareus is too good to pass on. Dareus could play 3-4 DE or DT if they decide to switch back to a 4-3

4. Cincinatti Bengals: DaQuan Bowers DE, Clemson

Mike Brown seems set on keeping Carson Palmer, so like the Bills, he should operate as if he has his QB. Bowers is an elite pass rusher and would pair nicely with Carlos Dunlap. With Bowers providing pressure on the QB, the Cinci defense should return to 2009 form.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller OLB, Texas A&M

The Cardinals are probably going to pursue a veteran QB rather than draft one, so they should be looking to rebuild their defense. Miller is the best 3-4 OLB in this draft, and would provide an immediate impact while learning from Joey Porter. Still, the Cardinals' defense is a few pieces away from being a solid unit.

6. Cleveland Browns: Robert Quinn DE, UNC

While Quinn hasn't seen football action since 2009 and didn't quite have the combine people expected from him, his tape speaks for itself. He's a top 10 pick and the Browns need a ton of new pieces in their transition to a 4-3 defense. The Browns might look at Julio Jones to give Colt McCoy some weapons, but its too early for him.

7. San Francisco 49ers: Blaine Gabbert QB, Missouri

I think San Francisco is in a good position to draft its franchise QB. They have a new coaching regime and a lot of talented young pieces on offense. That said Jim Harbaugh might have some confidence left in Alex Smith, in which case they would look at Fairley, Jordan or Amukamara with this pick. Gabbert is the best QB in this class though which is hard to pass up as a new coach.

8. Tennessee Titans: Nick Fairley DT, Auburn

Tennessee could be looking at a good steal with Fairley here at #8. His stock has fallen after he came to the combine much smaller than expected, but he was dominant this year at Auburn. The Titans like to rely on their front four to create pressure, but their defense hasn't been the same since Albert Haynesworth left. Fairley would fit nicely bringing pressure up the middle.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Cameron Jordan DE, California

With Jason Garrett taking over, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cowboys try to help their offense by taking the top OL available. Jordan is a great talent though and Dallas's DL could use a guy to eat up blockers so Demarcus Ware can get to the QB. Dallas also has to seriously consider Amukamara here too, as their secondary needs help.

10. Washington Redskins: Julio Jones WR, Alabama

Washington will be very tempted to take Cam Newton, as the fan base is hungry for a franchise QB. I think Newton's bust potential is too big though, and Mike Shannahan knows better than to take a workout warrior for a QB. Jones had a great combine and is an immediate upgrade over anything they have at WR.

11. Houston Texans: Prince Amukamara CB, Nebraska

Wade Phillips is bringing the 3-4 defense to Houston, which means a lot of changes in the front 7. The Texans have very few pieces to run that scheme and will need this draft to bring in guys that fit. Still, this is one of the worst secondaries I've seen in a long time and Amukamara is a stud at CB.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Cam Newton QB, Auburn

I've said for a while now that Newton's bust potential is way too high to take in the top 10, but there's no way he slips past the Vikings. They need to move on from the Brett Favre era and there's no better way than to take a former Heiman winner and the most hyped player in the draft. Drafting a QB will also take pressure off Leslie Frazier and the notion that Minnesota as to win now.

13. Detroit Lions: Tyron Smith OT, USC

There was concern about Smith being too small to play OT, but he really helped himself by weighing in at over 300lbs at the combine. If Detroit keeps pretending their pass protection is good enough to keep Matt Stafford off the ground, their prized QB will be out of the league faster than David Carr. Something needs to be done.

14. St. Louis Rams: Akeem Ayers OLB, UCLA

The Rams were really hoping Julio Jones would fall to them, but his great combine pushed him into the top 10. Since there are no other receiving weapons worth it at #14 to give Sam Bradford, they look to help their defense. Ayers should fit in well with young James Laurinaitis to give them a solid LB core, while providing an edge rush to complement Chris Long.

15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram RB, Alabama

Not a very original pick, but the talent meets a desperate need so the Dolphins need to take Ingram. The "other" former Heisman winner will give the Dolphins a workhorse in the backfield and take pressure off Chad Henne. I still think Henne can become a good QB, but he lacks confidence so a reliable run game should help a lot.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jimmy Smith CB, Colorado

A lot of people think the Jags need to draft an edge rusher with this pick, but they've invested a LOT of money at DE the past few years and none of them have worked out. I think getting Smith here would help their defense just as much, as he is a solid cover corner with great size at 6'2". Rasheed Mathis is getting old and their secondary needs young talent.

17. New England Patriots (via Raiders): JJ Watt DE, Wisconsin

Even with their 14-2 record, the Patriots have a lot of needs. They could take the top OL available, or get an edge rusher like Aldon Smith. But Watt is a perfect fit at 3-4 DE and they have very little talent on the DL other than Vince Wilfork.

18. San Diego Chargers: Aldon Smith OLB, Missouri

The Chargers could probably take anyone who fits in their front 7 and it would fill a need. Ever since Shawn Merriman was let go, the Chargers have been lacking an edge rusher. Smith is a good prospect who should provide the pressure that this defense needs.

19. New York Giants: Anthony Castonzo OT, Boston College

The Giants need some youth on the OL and Castonzo is the type of all around OT who could contribute early. He's equally good in pass or run blocking, and can play either LT or RT. New York also has needs at LB and in the secondary, but the talent doesn't meet the pick.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Ryan Kerrigan DE, Purdue

Tampa is similar to Jacksonville in that their primary need is an edge rusher, but could also look at CB to replace an aging vet (in Tampa's case Ronde Barber). They took two DTs early last year in Gerald McCoy and Brian Price, so getting outside pressure would really help round out their DL. Kerrigan led the nation in tackles for loss last year while getting 12.5 sacks.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Phil Taylor NT, Baylor

For all their success in 2010, I can't see them holding on to the division for 2011. They need another receiving threat to take pressure off Dwayne Bowe, another pass rushing threat to pair with Tamba Hali, and could use help on the OL. However, every 3-4 defense needs a cornerstone NT and Taylor should be just that. After putting away some character concerns from his past and dominating the Senior Bowl and combine, Taylor has solidified his 1st round status and is a great value here.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Nate Solder OT, Colorado

The Colts are about to make Peyton Manning the highest paid player in league history, which would look really foolish if they can't protect him and his career is cut short. Solder is the type of physical monster that should protect his blindside for the remainder of his career. At 6'8" and 319lbs, Solder's potential is too great to ignore.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Gabe Carimi OT, Wisconsin

Much like Indianapolis, the Eagles need to make protecting Mike Vick a priority if they're going to continue the success they had in 2010. Carimi has a great frame at 6'7" and with some coaching could be a good LT. He's already a perfect fit at RT though, which works well for the left handed Vick. Carimi is also a run blocking beast.

24. New Orleans Saints: Adrian Clayborn DE, Iowa

DC Gregg Williams loves to bring the blitz, but he lacks a good pass rusher who can bring pressure by himself. Getting a guy like Clayborn will allow Williams to rely less on the blitz while getting more creative with them as well. Also, DE Will Smith will probably be facing a suspension.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Brandon Harris CB, Miami

After mocking Jake Locker to the Seahawks for a while now, I've changed course and have them upgrading their defense. FS Earl Thomas looks like a star, but he needs help in the secondary. He's a bit undersized, but Harris is a baller at CB and can make plays on his own.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Jonathan Baldwin WR, Pittsburgh

With all the 1st round CBs gone, the Ravens look to upgrade their receiving core to help Joe Flacco. The Ravens are well aware that their rival Steelers are weak in the secondary, and what better way to attack that than to bring in a massive WR to throw deep to. Baldwin has Calvin Johnson size, and would provide the deep threat that this offense lacks.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Torrey Smith WR, Maryland

Roddy White is a beast and has great chemistry with Matt Ryan, but his talent can only go so far if teams continue to double and triple team him. This offense lacks explosiveness and Smith is a great deep threat. The Falcons will also have to consider Justin Houston, as Jon Abraham is the only great pass rusher on this team and will be 33.

28. New England Patriots: Mike Pouncey C/G, Florida

Stephen Neal is retiring, Logan Mankins wants out, and RT Sebastian Vollmer is the only one left under 30. Many think Mike cannot play Center, while others think he could. I think he can be a good Center, but he'll a Probowl Guard. Either way, the Pats are getting desperate at Guard.

29. Chicago Bears: Derek Sherrod OT, Mississippi State

After the physical and verbal beating Jay Cutler took this year, the Bears' priority needs to be protecting him. Sherrod has the chance to develop into a good LT but will probably start on the right side. Chicago could also look at Muhammad Wilkerson to replace the recently cut Tommie Harris.

30. New York Jets: Justin Houston OLB, Georgia

For all the praise Rex Ryan's defense gets, there aren't many playmakers in the front 7. Ryan relies heavily on the blitz, but an elite pass rusher would make it easier to bring pressure. The Jets had success against Brady in the playoffs when they faked the blitz and still got pressure on Brady with only 4 rushers. Houston, who had 18.5 tackles for loss in 2010, would allow them to continue that.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Rahim Moore FS, UCLA

This isn't a conventional pick for the Steelers, but it seems like classic Kevin Colbert to me. Taking a FS to replace Ryan Clark could help the pass defense just as much as taking a CB to replace Bryant McFadden. Plus, Moore is definitely the best player available at this point. He's a true ball-hawking safety who specializes playing centerfield and reading the QB. He could provide a blanket of coverage behind freelancing Troy Polamalu. Don't be surprised if they trade up to pair Mike Pouncey with his brother, but if they stay at 31 other options would be Ben Ijalana, Muhammed Wilkerson, and Aaron Williams.

32. Green Bay Packers: Muhammed Wilkerson DE, Temple

The Packers' biggest need is to find a pass rush specialist to play opposite Clay Matthews. But after missing out on most of the 1st round talent at rush linebacker, they need to work on the DL. Cullen Jenkins may leave in free agency, which would leave them with virtually nothing at DE. Even if Jenkins is resigned, they could use an upgrade over Ryan Pickett at the other DE position. They might also look at an OT to take over once Chad Clifton retires.

Round 2:

33. New England Patriots (via Panthers): Mikel Leshoure RB, Illinois

After getting pieces on the offensive and defensive lines, the Pats look to get a weapon in the backfield. They've been getting by with guys like Lawrence Maroney and Benjarvis Green Ellis for years, and its time to get a real threat.

34. Buffalo Bills: Martez Wilson ILB, Illinois

The Bills need new guys all over their defense. Wilson is a do-it-all ILB who can develop into a good leader in the middle of their defense.

35. Cincinnati Bengals: Titus Young WR, Boise State

While Bowers's talent was too good to pass up on in the first round, the offseason has to be about appeasing Carson Palmer for Cinci. Carson has gotten sick of working with divas at receiver, so Young will continue the youth movement.

36. Denver Broncos: Corey Liuget DT, Illinois

Switching back to a 4-3 defense, the Broncos need an inside force to work with Elvis Dumervil.

37. Cleveland Browns: Leonard Hankerson WR, Miami

The Browns have no weapons for Colt McCoy to throw to.

38. Arizona Cardinals: Danny Watkins G, Baylor

Alen Faneca wasn't quite the stopgap Guard coach Wisenhunt thought he would be.

39. Tennessee Titans: Ryan Mallett QB, Arkansas

With the luxury of sitting behind Kerry Collins for a year, Mallett will hopefully mature as a QB. He has a great arm, but needs to grow a bit more before taking over a team.

40. Dallas Cowboys: Benjamin Ijalana OT, Villanova

Protecting Tony Romo is their best chance to succeed. He's been getting manhandled since playing the Vikings in the 2009 playoffs.

41. Washington Redskins: Jake Locker QB, Washington

Locker is the type of QB Shannahan will want. He's hardworking and all the potential is there, but he needs more time.

42. Houston Texans: Cameron Heyward DE, Ohio State

They need guys who fit the 3-4 defense. Heyward has first round talent but falls because of a deep DL class.

43. Minnesota Vikings: Stephen Paea DT, Oregon State

Paea has some injury concerns, but has monster strength (combine record 49 reps on bench press) and can take over for Pat Williams.

44. Detroit Lions: Aaron Williams CB, Texas

Lions could take the BPA on defense for the rest of the draft and it would be a success. Williams will hopefully help out that awful secondary in Detroit.

45. San Francisco 49ers: Brooks Reed OLB, Arizona

They need help getting to the QB, Reed is a good fit at 3-4 rush linebacker.

46. Denver Broncos (via Dolphins): Stefen Wisneiwski C/G, Penn State

Denver was hoping Maurkice Pouncey would fall to them at 22 in the 2010 draft, but missed out on him to the Steelers. Wisneiwski is an upgrade over anyone they have at Guard or Center and should help their run game.

47. St. Louis Rams: Kyle Rudolph TE, Notre Dame

Rudolph is the best TE this year and would give Sam Bradford a nice safety net over the middle. They still need help at WR though.

48. Oakland Raiders: Marcus Cannon G/OT, TCU

At 6'5" and 358lbs, Cannon is the type of physical beast that Al Davis will love.

49. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jabaal Sheard DE, Pittsburgh

For all the money they've thrown at DEs the past few years, their pass rush is still terrible. Sheard will hope to end the drought.

50. San Diego Chargers: Allen Bailey DE, Miami

After getting a powerful edge rusher, the Chargers still need help on the DL. Bailey should transition to the 3-4 well.

51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Curtis Brown CB, Texas

Brown will be a good successor to Ronde Barber. He and Aqib Talib should make a good CB tandem for the next few years.

52. New York Giants: Bruce Carter OLB, UNC

The Giants have a good DL, but they need help pretty much everywhere else on defense. Carter could be a steal here after dropping because of injury concerns.

53. Indianapolis Colts: Marvin Austin DT, UNC

The second former Tar Heel in a row, Austin's stock dropped after missing the 2010 season due to suspension. Like Carter, he could be a steal in the second round and the Colts haven't had a dominant DT in years.

54. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Burton CB, Utah

Other than Asante Samuel, the Eagles have nothing at CB.

55. Kansas City Chiefs: Tandon Doss WR, Indiana

The Chiefs pass offense ranked 30th in 2010. Doss will hopefully take some attention away from Dwayne Bowe, but Matt Cassel needs to step his game up.

56. New Orleans Saints: Mason Foster OLB, Washington

Foster is a good fit at OLB for the Saints, who need consistency from their defense. He'll immediately provide good depth and contribute on special teams.

57. Seattle Seahawks: Christian Ponder QB, Florida State

Hasselbeck is nearing the end of his career, and Charlie Whitehurst is not the answer. Ponder has a lot of work to do, but has a chance to be a good QB in a few years.

58. Baltimore Ravens: Dontay Moch OLB, Nevada

The Ravens need a pass rush specialist to help Terrel Suggs. Sergio Kindle could be that guy, but he might not be able to play football anymore.

59. Atlanta Falcons: Sam Acho DE, Texas

They need a DE to take over once Jon Abraham retires, and they could use pass rush help as it is.

60. New England Patriots: Joseph Barksdale OT, LSU

LT Matt Light is 33, and the rest of the line is in transition. Barksdale will probably play on the right side while current RT Sebastian Vollmer moves to the left when Light either leaves in FA or retires.

61. San Diego Chargers (via Jets): Randall Cobb WR/RB, Kentucky

The Chargers usually target tall receivers, and at 5'10" Cobb certainly doesn't fit the bill. Darren Sproles is probably going to leave in free agency though, and Cobb would be a cheaper great replacement as a scat back, slot receiver, and return man.

62. Chicago Bears: Drake Nevis DT, LSU

Tommie Harris's play deteriorated to the point that Chicago had to cut him. They need a new 3-tech DT to stuff the run and take attention away from Chicago's strong DEs.

63. Pittsburgh Steelers: Ras-I Dowling CB, Virginia

Dowling has first round talent but saw his stock drop because of speed and injury concerns. Well, he put to rest the speed concerns by running a 4.4 at the combine only to strain his hamstring in the process. His skill set fits what Pittsburgh asks of their corners almost perfectly, and he has a good chance to contribute early if he learns the playbook quickly enough.

64. Green Bay Packers: Clint Boling G, Georgia

Boling is a good fit for the Packers and should be able to start on day 1.

hawaiiansteel
03-16-2011, 02:22 AM
ESPN: Steelers On The Clock

Mel Kiper and the ESPN gang discuss what the Steelers will do...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6219268

Chadman
03-16-2011, 02:40 AM

You know, with all the knuckleheads that put their opinion in come Draft time, this was a pretty good assessment. Agree with Kiper- the value at CB may not be there at #31. Not sure if Danny Watkins is the right pick, but he's very safe.

Even Dilfer sounds like he knows what he's on about. Interesting that Dilfer didn't say the DB's are not good enough- instead said that the Steelers SCHEME needs to improve to best utilise Troy Polamalu...just a different take of it...

Oviedo
03-16-2011, 08:35 AM

You know, with all the knuckleheads that put their opinion in come Draft time, this was a pretty good assessment. Agree with Kiper- the value at CB may not be there at #31. Not sure if Danny Watkins is the right pick, but he's very safe.

Even Dilfer sounds like he knows what he's on about. Interesting that Dilfer didn't say the DB's are not good enough- instead said that the Steelers SCHEME needs to improve to best utilise Troy Polamalu...just a different take of it...

Just don't see the value in Watkins who will be 27 when the season starts. You are burning a Round 1 pick on a player likely only to have one NFL contract. I think you can get other Guards who will give you longer term value.

hawaiiansteel
03-16-2011, 03:47 PM

Just don't see the value in Watkins who will be 27 when the season starts. You are burning a Round 1 pick on a player likely only to have one NFL contract. I think you can get other Guards who will give you longer term value.

the Steelers are bringing Danny Watkins in for a visit, he may be 26 years old but would probably be able to start at RG from Day 1.

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 05:20 PM
3. Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor: Taylor is by far the best NT in the draft. He has incredible size and speed and has a great ability to eat up multiple blocks and still collapse the pocket. He has seen his stock rise incredibly over the last month and likely won't be available when we pick. Even if he is, I could see the Steelers going in another direction.
Other teams that will look at Taylor are the Texans, Chiefs, and Jets.

I personally think some are missing the boat on this guy. If he goes to a 3-4 team I think he will never see NT. I see him more as a 5 technique ala Hiloti Ngata. He will bring far more value there than he will at the NT.

5. Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA: Moore is the best safety by far in this draft class. He has great size and speed and has a nose for the football. I give him a 1st round grade due to his ability to become a stud FS. He would likely push Ryan Clark right away for the starting spot. He will almost definitely be available when we pick.

Cha-ching!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmm?? Where have I heard this before?

1. Ras I Dowling, CB, Virginia: Dowling is a first round talent but injuries in his Senior season and at the combine will cause him to fall to the 2nd round. We might have to trade up for him but I would be happy if we did. He ran a 4.4 despite having to pull up and basically jog for the last 5 yards. He has great size, great speed, and is a good tackler.

Cha-ching again!!!

It aint hard folks. You watch these guys play on the football field and you can easily see they fit the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Dee Dub
03-16-2011, 05:22 PM
I think DeeDub wrote this mock for Behind The Steel Curtain... :D

No....there are others who actually get it as well. :wink:

hawaiiansteel
03-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers’ Draft Value Board

Posted on March 19, 2011 by ted

Although projecting trade-ups and trade-downs are fun for fans, historically the Steelers are not a squad that maneuvers much during the draft. As such, the draft-value board below is simply a list of players I like who address team needs.

It is also is based on the Steelers’ staying at their slotted pick in each of the first four rounds (not trading up or down), as well as the percentage (%) chance that the player listed will be available at that spot in that specific round. Now, please remember these are just estimated percentages of the chance certain players will be available at the end of various rounds and any guesses after the first round are just crap-shoots, especially with players still working out in prodays that will result in their stock rising or falling.

Moreover, I did not even bother including guys unless there was at least a 25% probability that the player could be available to the Steelers at that spot in the draft. Thus, even though Pittsburgh fans probably fantasize about drafting LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson, there is no chance he could fall out of the first seven picks or that the Steelers could/would trade up high enough to draft him. However, the Steelers do like to take the BPA (best player available) in each round, so long as that player also fills a short-term or long-term need. Thus, the front office often quickly tabs players in rounds that represent great value on their overall draft board.

Some interesting physical prospects were kept off this list because I am assuming they are off the Steelers’ big board due to character concerns (e.g., CB Jimmy Smith, WR Greg Little, NT Kenrick Ellis, WR Niles Paul, etc.,) with others (e.g., CB Johnny Patrick, NT Jerrell Powe) possibly off Pittsburgh’s board for similar reasons but kept on this list for now until more details emerge about teams possibly backing off these players due to character concerns.

One player I purposely kept off my board was Baylor guard Danny Watkins, who Mel Kiper is currently projecting as the Steelers’ first-round pick. While I am a long-time Kiper admirer and value his opinion, I see Watkins as a middle of the second-round type pick, and doubt the Steelers would select a 26-year offensive guard with their first-round pick. Likewise, I also kept lazy Miami right guard Orlando Franklin off my list, even though he is the Steelers’ projected first-round pick by ESPN’s Todd McShay.

Neither Watkins or Franklin is worthy of a first-round pick. Moreover, right guard is not as much a major need for the Steelers as cornerback and there is better value at guard in rounds 2-4 than there is at offensive tackle, where the fall-off in talent-level is precipitous after the opening round at a position where the Steelers have a major long-term need.

The Steelers’ first-round pick will likely be a defensive back, offensive lineman or defensive lineman. But after that tight ends, wide receivers, running backs and inside linebackers could be all considered in rounds 2-4, along with defensive backs, offensive linemen and defensive linemen.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS’ DRAFT VALUE BOARD

Pos., Player Name, HT, WT, College, % Chance of Being Available

1st round (31st overall)

OG Mike Pouncey, 6-5, 300, Florida, 25%
OT Gabe Carimi, 6-7, 315, Wisconsin, 25%
DE Cameron Heyward, 6-5, 295, Ohio State, 45%
OT Derek Sherrod, 6-5, 320, Mississippi State, 50%
CB Brandon Harris, 5-10, 190, Miami, 50%
OT Nate Solder, 6-8, 320, Colorado, 30%
CB/FS Aaron Williams, 6-0, 205, Texas, 65%
DE Muhammad Wilkerson, 6-4, 315, Temple, 40%
RT/G Ben Ijalana, 6-4, 315, Villanova, 80%
FS Rahim Moore, 6-0, 200, UCLA, 65%

2nd round (63)

CB Curtis Brown, 6-0, 185, Texas, 35%
RT/G Ben Ijalana, 6-4, 315, Villanova, 30%
CB Brandon Burton, 6-0, 190, Utah, 45%
OG Rodney Hudson, 6-2, 300, FSU, 50%
DE Christian Ballard, 6-3, 285, Iowa, 35%
CB Johnny Patrick, 5-11, 190, Louisville, 60%
TE/FB Lance Kendricks, 6-3, 245, Wisconsin, 55%
CB/FS Ras-I Dowling, 6-1, 200, Virginia, 70%

3rd round (95)

CB/FS Ras-I Dowling, 6-1, 200, Virginia, 25%
G/RT Clint Boling, 6-5, 310, Georgia, 30%
RB Kendall Hunter, 5-7, 200, Oklahoma St., 35%
CB Rashad Carmichael, 5-10, 190, Virginia Tech, 55%
TE/FB D.J. Williams, 6-3, 245, Arkansas, 40%
DE Jarvis Jenkins, 6-4, 310, Clemson, 35%
RT/G Jason Pinkston, 6-3, 315, Pitt, 60%
DE Lawrence Guy, 6-4, 305, Arizona State, 55%
CB Shareece Wright, 5-10, 185, USC, 55%
OT James Brewer, 6-6, 325, Indiana, 45%
ILB Quan Sturdivant, 6-1, 240, North Carolina, 35%
NT Jerrell Powe, 6-2, 335, Ole Miss, 55%
CB Chimidi Chekwa, 5-11, 190, Ohio State, 50%

4th round (127)

RT/G Jason Pinkston, 6-3, 315, Pitt, 25%
FS Deunta Williams, 6-2, 205, North Carolina, 45%
CB Curtis Marsh, 6-1, 195, Utah State, 30%
WR Terrence Toliver, 6-3, 210, LSU, 40%
NT Sione Fua, 6-2, 310, Stanford, 50%
RB Jacquizz Rodgers, 5-6, 195, Oregon State, 40%
CB Buster Skrine, 5-10, 185, Chattanooga, 40%
OG John Moffitt, 6-4, 320, Wisconsin, 35%
NT Ian Williams, 6-1, 320, Notre Dame, 50%
ILB Casey Matthews, 6-1, 230, Oregon, 35%
SS Shiloh Keo, 5-11, 220, Idaho, 60%

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/03/p ... aft-board/ (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/03/pittsburgh-steelers-draft-board/)