PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network's Charles Davis Mock Draft

Dee Dub
03-04-2011, 02:46 PM
31. Pittsburgh Steelers
Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
Back-to-back first-round offensive linemen (Maurkice Pouncey in 2010) will add a spring to Big Ben's step.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... ule=HP_cp2 (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e9431a/article/postcombine-projection-has-panthers-taking-aim-at-newton?module=HP_cp2)

Dee Dub
03-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Interesting...he thinks Rahim Moore is a first rounder...hmmmmmm???

30. New York Jets
Rahim Moore, S, UCLA

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2011, 02:49 PM

30. New York Jets
Rahim Moore, S, UCLA

Charles Davis lost all credibility with that pick, huh? :D

steelerkeylargo
03-04-2011, 02:59 PM
1 former NFL scouts combine evaluation of Moore.

Rahim Moore/UCLA: Slow in reverse and reaches on his pedal. Not smooth. Marginal burst. Stop and go changing direction. Displays the ability to drive out of his plant.

Blockhead
03-04-2011, 02:59 PM

30. New York Jets
Rahim Moore, S, UCLA

Good, get him off the board and let a better more needed player like Solder fall.

Dee Dub
03-04-2011, 03:46 PM

Rahim Moore/UCLA: Slow in reverse and reaches on his pedal. Not smooth. Marginal burst. Stop and go changing direction. Displays the ability to drive out of his plant.

That dude should be fired. How many FS are asked to back pedal and play all that much in reverse?? :P Honestly how important is if for Ed Reed to be smooth in and out of his back peddle? Unbelievable. :roll:

I'll stick with what I saw..and what was said of him by Mike Mayock at the combine when he did his position drills. :idea:

Blockhead
03-04-2011, 04:04 PM

That dude should be fired. How many FS are asked to back pedal and play all that much in reverse?? :P Honestly how important is if for Ed Reed to be smooth in and out of his back peddle? Unbelievable. :roll:

I'll stick with what I saw..and what was said of him by Mike Mayock at the combine when he did his position drills. :idea:
a first round safety? That would be stupid, expecially when the highest rated safety isn't even a true first rounder. We need corners and lineman much more. Rahim has shown he can't play corner. The only way this makes sense is if we know Troy is retiring and Moore will never replace Troy.

Dee Dub
03-04-2011, 04:14 PM

a first round safety? That would be stupid, expecially when the highest rated safety isn't even a true first rounder. We need corners and lineman much more. Rahim has shown he can't play corner. The only way this makes sense is if we know Troy is retiring and Moore will never replace Troy.

Excuse me Mr. Blockhead...but Troy plays Strong Safety and Rahim Moore plays Free Safety. He would replace Ryan Clark who can't cover. Remember the problem with the middle seam the Steelers had in the Super Bowl?

Mike Mayock thinks he is a possible end of first rounder and the best FS in this draft.

Blockhead
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Excuse me Mr. Blockhead...but Troy plays Strong Safety and Rahim Moore plays Free Safety. He would replace Ryan Clark who can't cover. Remember the problem with the middle seam the Steelers had in the Super Bowl?

Mike Mayock thinks he is a possible end of first rounder and the best FS in this draft.

Safeties are pretty much interchangeable in today's game. They have to be. Moore may be a first rounder. Hopefully before pick 31, causing another to fall.

Clark was just extended and isn't going to be cut. We need corners. Moore cannot play corner. Therefore, Moore wouldn't be a good pick. Given his slow times in most every drill, he may fall, possibly to our 2nd round selection. He'd be worth the gamble there.

papillon
03-04-2011, 05:31 PM

Safeties are pretty much interchangeable in today's game. They have to be. Moore may be a first rounder. Hopefully before pick 31, causing another to fall.

Clark was just extended and isn't going to be cut. We need corners. Moore cannot play corner. Therefore, Moore wouldn't be a good pick. Given his slow times in most every drill, he may fall, possibly to our 2nd round selection. He'd be worth the gamble there.

Safeties may be interchangeable on a lot of teams, but not with the Steelers in my opinion. Troy is a unique talent and half of his talent (to play at or near the LOS) would not be utilized as often if he were to play as a FS. Plus, with his propensity to use his instincts and come out of the called coverage he could expose the middle of the field more often.

The Steelers drafting a FS wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't hate it either, especially, if they traded back a few places and then potentially moved up in the 2nd and take two good players in the top of the second. I know you need partners to move up or down in the draft, but if it were to happen the Steelers could get two good players quickly in the draft.

Pappy

Dee Dub
03-04-2011, 07:15 PM

Ok then please tell us what CB will be rated higher at or around pick 31 than what Moore will be rated at? A CB that will actually get on the field in 2011?

And I donít know if you noticed or not but over the end of this last season and throughout the playoffs that Troy was used differently by LeBeau?? He was used more in a 2 deep cover shell. Very rarely did we see him at or near the box or LOS. Do you know why that was? It's because in their system, with their personnel, their safeties are not interchangeable. Not when the other one (Clark), can't cover.

Blockhead
03-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Ok then please tell us what CB will be rated higher at or around pick 31 than what Moore will be rated at? A CB that will actually get on the field in 2011?
Well, there are quite a few CB's that will better suit our needs and likely have higher ratings. Jimmy Smith, Curtis Brown to name a couple. Martez Wilson, the LB is also another consideration as is a few OL/DL.

And I donít know if you noticed or not but over the end of this last season and throughout the playoffs that Troy was used differently by LeBeau?? He was used more in a 2 deep cover shell. Very rarely did we see him at or near the box or LOS. Do you know why that was? It's because in their system, with their personnel, their safeties are not interchangeable. Not when the other one (Clark), can't cover.
Somebody should really explain coverage techniques to you and yes, pretty much all safeties in the NFL are interchangeable. Troy was dropped back in cover 2 and cover 3(alot) due more to his injured achilles and the lack of cornerback man coverage skills. As I said above, Clark isn't going anywhere. We will focus on better coverage corners and pressure on the QB. Health with the defense was a big issue at the end of the season, with Troy and Harrison both injured. We needed our offense to really step up except for the big game, they pretty much did.

If you want a safety that has a chance of covering, look at Chris Culliver.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2011, 12:38 AM

...on the third day of the draft.

steelerkeylargo
03-05-2011, 12:58 AM
When you look at Moore physically, he possesses the frame more so of an NFL corner. Heís narrow, lacks ideal bulk and isnít a guy who will consistently tackle in the run game. However, what was even more alarming was his lack of straight-line speed, officially timing in the low 4.6 range. To his credit he does showcase natural fluidity when asked to turn and open up his hips, and does get back up to speed quickly. The UCLA product also does a nice job staying low in his drop and has the ability to transition quickly out of his breaks and track the football. However, despite being the top safety prospect in the class, I still donít see him as much more than a third-round pick and he doesnít look like nearly the safety prospect last yearís third-round picks Morgan Burnett and Major Wright were.

Blockhead
03-05-2011, 01:18 AM

Don't be surprised if he goes a lot earlier but regardless, I'd much rather have Culliver in the 4th round than Moore in the 1st.

grotonsteel
03-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Don't be surprised if he goes a lot earlier but regardless, I'd much rather have Culliver in the 4th round than Moore in the 1st.

If Culliver does not have football IQ i don't think he can grasp DL play book.

I have not seen Culliver play much but this is from another Steelers board. He is a SC alum and obiviously follow SC football.

"I do not want any part of [FILTH]ing Chris Culliver. It seems like he is always injured and he makes enough bone headed plays we would beg for Anthony Smith and Keenan Lewis back.And, while he ran well in short, he does not play to that speed. "

Another SC fan view on Culliver:

"Chris Culliver is an idiot. He has Terrible football instincts and plays SLOW. Maybe that is because he is stupid, I just don't know. I am a huge carolina fan, but the guy just can't play. Crezdon Butler is 2X the player, and we already have him. "

Blockhead
03-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Differering opinions of players is nothing new when it comes to draft time. You are perfectly welcome to believe these people if you wish.

pfelix73
03-06-2011, 09:50 PM
I'll save you all the trouble of trying to pick our player at 31. It'll be the BPA. Whoever it is, probably won't start in 2012 anyway. Aldon Smith playing alongside Ziggy would be a nice addition. He's only like 20 and he'd have a year or so to learn under coach LeBeau. That is- IF he would fall down the board. NE or TB might grab him.

:tt1

hawaiiansteel
03-07-2011, 03:58 AM
New England Patriots Draft: Can Derek Sherrod Be Matt Light's Replacement?

By Tony Santorsa (Patriots Featured Columnist) on March 7, 2011 - Foxborough

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/149/551/sherrod_crop_340x234.jpg?1299477778

As we move further and further away from the NFL Combine, more mock drafts are released and start to paint a better picture.

In NFL Network's Charlie Davis' recent mock draft, he has Mississippi State's offensive tackle Derek Sherrod going 28th overall to the New England Patriots.

Sherrod hasn't necessarily been a "big-name" throughout the offseason. However, Sherrod can be a franchise's future left tackle.

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 305 lbs.

Projection: Late First - Early Second

Strengths: Sherrod, who's leaving Mississippi State as a senior, started for the team in all of his four years. In his first year, Sherrod lined up as a right tackle, but made the switch to left tackle his final three years.

Sherrod is a considered to be a very good athlete for his position and put up a 5.2 forty-yard dash time in this year's combine.

When run blocking, he's very fast off the ball and can deliver a nice blow right off of the bat. For pass blocking, Sherrod flourishes against speed rushers with his elite foot-work.

When blocking, pass or run, he always has a quality balance in his stance.

Weakness: With Sherrod's above average speed and ability, he doesn't exactly have the power.

Previously stated, Sherrod does well against speed rushers, but has struggled with powerful defensive linemen at the college level. He will need to gain more strength to compete at a high level.

When moving in space, he doesn't always line up his blocks correctly ó he tends to lunge at defenders.

Conclusion: Sherrod would be a nice fit for New England, and could be effective his rookie season.

He does have speed and agility, but needs to get stronger. Unlike other linemen, who lack speed, he needs to bulk up which is always possible, especially with his large frame.

New England's left tackle, Matt Light, isn't the biggest guy on the field, but was effective and productive as a rookie, and has had a solid NFL career. But, Light isn't getting any younger as he sits at 32 years old.

Light is a free agent, and it's unclear what the Patriots will do, but Sherrod would be a nice pick if Bill Belichick does choose to address the offensive line early in this years draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6284 ... eplacement (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/628471-new-england-patriots-draft-can-derek-sherrod-be-matt-lights-replacement)