PDA

View Full Version : Meet Rodney Hudson

steelerkeylargo
03-04-2011, 01:25 PM
http://thenationalfootballreport.com/dr ... ey-hudson/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/draft/player-profile/rodney-hudson/)

steeler_george
03-04-2011, 05:23 PM
From that scouting report on him, he sounds just as good or even better than Pouncey.

Is there that much of a drop off in talent between the top guards in this draft. Is there more value in drafting a G in the 2nd round than in the 1st round this year.

If Pouncey, Sherrod, or a top CB still there at 31 who would you take?

steelerkeylargo
03-04-2011, 06:52 PM
From that scouting report on him, he sounds just as good or even better than Pouncey.

Is there that much of a drop off in talent between the top guards in this draft. Is there more value in drafting a G in the 2nd round than in the 1st round this year.

If Pouncey, Sherrod, or a top CB still there at 31 who would you take?

I would take in this order

1)Sherrod-if you can get a premier LT you take one.
2)Pouncey-I love this kid and think he would make a great addition next to his bro
3)Brandon Harris is the only corner not named Peterson or Amukamara i would take 1/31

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2011, 05:08 PM
maybe the Steelers think Hudson has the frame to add some extra weight?

Steelers Hosting Florida State Center-Guard Rodney Hudson Monday

April 1st, 2011 Matt Loede

Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post reports Florida State center-guard Rodney Hudson is visiting the Steelers on Monday, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

Hudson has also worked out for the Baltimore Ravens. He’s a two-time winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy, recognized as the top offensive lineman in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The first-team consensus All-American was a three-time first-team all-conference selection.

http://www.steelersgab.com/2011/04/01/s ... ers+Gab%29 (http://www.steelersgab.com/2011/04/01/steelers-hosting-florida-state-center-guard-rodney-hudson-monday/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersGab+%28Steelers+Gab%2 9)

steelerkeylargo
04-02-2011, 05:59 PM
If we trade out of the first round (which is very possible if someone wants to come up & get a QB at that spot) look for Hudson to be a strong consideration in the 2nd. I also wouldn't be shocked if they took him at 1/31.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-02-2011, 07:00 PM
6'2", 291 (put on 8 "extra" pounds for the combine), 32 1/2 inch arms, 9 3/8 inch hands.

I'm worried Hudson may have some serious difficulty handling defensive tackles at the NFL level, especially from the OG position. Remember AQ Shipley was a top college center (award winning) but his measurements really hindered his ability to compete. I just don't want an OG who doesn't have the length or weight to handle the bull rush.

steelerkeylargo
04-03-2011, 12:38 AM
I broke down 8 game tapes of Hudson this season. A comparison to A.Q. Shipley is like comparing Terry Bradshaw to Bubby Brister. Hudson has elite talent. He only needs an NFL weight & conditioning program. Easiest fix there is.

Oviedo
04-03-2011, 08:40 AM

Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post reports Florida State center-guard Rodney Hudson is visiting the Steelers on Monday, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

Hudson has also worked out for the Baltimore Ravens. He’s a two-time winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy, recognized as the top offensive lineman in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The first-team consensus All-American was a three-time first-team all-conference selection.

http://www.steelersgab.com/2011/04/01/s ... ers+Gab%29 (http://www.steelersgab.com/2011/04/01/steelers-hosting-florida-state-center-guard-rodney-hudson-monday/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersGab+%28Steelers+Gab%2 9)

All these guys can add weight going into the season, but the question is really can they maintain the weight over the course of a 16 games season. That is the problem.."maintainable weight." That is what worries me most about Hudson because I guarantee you Ngata and Cody in Baltimore will maintain their 350lbs.

steelerkeylargo
04-03-2011, 12:55 PM

All these guys can add weight going into the season, but the question is really can they maintain the weight over the course of a 16 games season. That is the problem.."maintainable weight." That is what worries me most about Hudson because I guarantee you Ngata and Cody in Baltimore will maintain their 350lbs.

I honestly don't know why people don't think this is a reality. Muscle weighs more than fat. An NFL strength and conditioning program will turn Hudson into a guy who can play at 305 all year. With his technique that will be plenty. By the way Olin Kreutz is a 13 year veteran and 6 time pro-bowler who plays at #292. Eric Steinbach #295. Jon Jansen #297. Cooper Carlisle #295.

aggiebones
04-03-2011, 11:25 PM
I still say get the best player at 31 and trade up in the second for Hudson.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2011, 02:35 AM
PITTSBURGH STEELERS: OFFENSIVE LINE NEEDS

by: Jason Harding. Updated March 31, 2011

Entering the month of April the NFL Draft is on everyone’s mind. Unfortunately this year the lockout has put a small damper on the yearly event.

But let the league do what they do and let's talk prospects. Over the next few articles I will breakdown each position for Pittsburgh’s needs.

There is no secret what the Pittsburgh Steelers need, so lets start with the offensive line.

The depth chart:
LT: Jonathan Scott, Tony Hills
LG: Chris Kemoeatu
OC: Maurkice Pouncey, Doug Legursky
RG: Ramon Foster, Trai Essex
RT: Flozell Adams, Chris Scott

This was the depth chart at the end of last season. The offensive line most certainly needs some stability after the parade of starting lineups last season.

We have to think about the free agency situation with right tackle Willie Colon. Drafting a lineman would almost certainly push Colon away from Pittsburgh.

An ideal situation would involve Colon returning to Pittsburgh and sliding in to right guard and drafting a left tackle.

ESPN’s big board for offensive tackles:
1. Tyron Smith - OT - USC
2. Anthony Castonzo - OT - Boston College
3. Nate Solder - OT - Colorado
4. Gabe Carimi - OT - Wisconsin
5. Derek Sherrod - OT - Miss St

ESPN’s big board for interior lineman:
1. Mike Pouncey - C - Florida
2. Danny Watkins - G - Baylor
3. Orlando Franklin - G - Miami
4. Rodney Hudson - C - Florida St
5. Marcus Cannon - G - TCU

The top four tackles are projected to be off the board by No. 31, when the Steelers are slated to pick, so lets look a little deeper in the class. Mississippi State’s Derek Sherrod, who is a viable option, is expected to be a better run blocker than pass protector. Playing next to Kemoeatu could make the left side of the line Pittsburgh's power run side.

Another tackle is Villanova’s Ben Ijalana. Ijalana played in every game during his college career at Villanova. Ijalana is just about the complete opposite of Sherrod. He is a better pass protector than a run blocker. His durability is probably the only reason to consider him if Sherrod is still available.

If Pittsburgh decides to look inside in the first round there are many more options. In a few mock drafts experts have the Steelers selecting Danny Watkins from Baylor. He is an average-sized guard that plays with a mean streak.

The only concern with Watkins is that he will be a 27-year-old rookie. However, he was a firefighter prior to college and has only played four years of football.

In a few mock drafts, guys like Rodney Hudson were available until mid-second round. Pittsburgh would have to be willing to make some moves to pick him up, but it could be a feasible option.

Drafting Maurkice Pouncey as an interior lineman turned out to be a great decision last year. If Pittsburgh could land another diamond like Pouncey this year it would solidfy their line for at least one season. Unfortunately, it looks as though the Pouncey twins will not be teammates, at least not this season.

With uncertainty drawing from Colon and Adams probably only having one year left in them, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Steelers add a few linemen in the draft.

http://sportshaze.com/pittsburgh/pittsb ... needs-2586 (http://sportshaze.com/pittsburgh/pittsburgh-steelers/pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-lineman-draft-needs-2586)

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2011, 02:58 AM
Steelers Host NFL Draft Prospects

By: Mike Vukovcan
April 4, 2011

The Steelers will entertain two elite prospects today as they prepare for this month’s NFL Draft.

The team plans on talking with both a highly rated defensive end and offensive guard.

California defensive end Cameron Jordan will be on the South Side talking with Mike Tomlin and company.

Jordan recorded 51 tackles and six sacks for the Golden Bears last season.

With Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith aging, Jordan could be a guy the Steelers consider drafting.

Another area the team needs help is on the offensive line and drafting a lineman early could be another option.

Florida State center-guard Rodney Hudson will also interview with the team.

He’s a two-time winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy, recognized as the top offensive lineman in the ACC.

Hudson, who was a first-team consensus All-American, was flagged for just one penalty in 832 snaps last season.

Hudson, 6-2 and 300 lbs, could be a nice compliment to Maurkice Pouncey on the Steelers offensive line.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/04/ ... prospects/ (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/04/04/steelers-host-nfl-draft-prospects/)

Shawn
04-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Or trade down into the second and up in the second. You could grab both Hudson and Cannon. Then grab Ellis in the 3rd Chekwa in the 4th.

Our OL would be set for years barring injury. Our DL would be one member short of being the DL of the next decade. And let me say something Chekwa is no chump...very fast, highly athletic, moves very well just needs some good coaching to minimize positioning issues. Even though this draft wouldn't cure our secondary it sure would turn one of our greatest problems OL into one of our greatest strengths. Hudson is going to be special in this league. Smart, doesn't make many mistakes, a pure technician. Sounds alot like Pouncey.

Oviedo
04-05-2011, 11:12 AM

Or trade down into the second and up in the second. You could grab both Hudson and Cannon. Then grab Ellis in the 3rd Chekwa in the 4th.

Our OL would be set for years barring injury. Our DL would be one member short of being the DL of the next decade. And let me say something Chekwa is no chump...very fast, highly athletic, moves very well just needs some good coaching to minimize positioning issues. Even though this draft wouldn't cure our secondary it sure would turn one of our greatest problems OL into one of our greatest strengths. Hudson is going to be special in this league. Smart, doesn't make many mistakes, a pure technician. Sounds alot like Pouncey.

I'd love that approach but it is going to be difficult to find a team in the first 10 picks of Round 2 who will want to add a second Round 1 salary for 2011.

I would disagree that Hudson is going to be special. I just think the size issue is going to be a much bigger challenge than many think even with great technique. That is why I'd prefer to get Cannon if we could trade back into Round 2.

aggiebones
04-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Special is a strong word for Hudson.
I think he can be a progressively improving starter. But obviously like all draftees, he could flop.

I agree to trading up in the second or down from the 1st to get Hudson. I don't 'really' know where he'll get picked, but guards don't fly off the board.
Typically they are safe picks when you get past the guarantees at other positions. You kinda know what you are getting with most high rated guards. DEs, Tackles, NTs, CBs, obviously QBs etc, all have more of an element of risk. A guard won't lead you to a Super Bowl very often, but they can help. You obviously take the guarantee at QB over the guaranteed player at G. Its when the other guarantee players run out that the Gs are taken. Obviously why we never see a G taken in the top 5 or 10 picks. Last year with Iupati and Pouncey taken so early is rare.