PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Baldwin

SteelStallion
03-03-2011, 10:57 AM
I see a number of people are intrigued at 1-31. I follow the Pitt Panthers. The bulk of the fan base ( the 30k or so that remain from the glory days :( ) think he's a lazy underperformer. And he made a number of unendearing twitter remarks. I'll warn you now, he's extreme talent but a risk in the first round.

Oviedo
03-03-2011, 11:33 AM
The potential upside with Baldwin is so high that he would force serious discussions within the draft room about taking him. If he can play up to his potential you are talking a group of receivers that could become Top 3-5 in the entire NFL. That is not something you easily dismiss with your franchise QB entering his prime.

How could any team cover Wallace and a high performing Baldwin with Hine in the slot?

The Sodfather
03-03-2011, 11:34 AM
How could any team cover Wallace and a high performing Baldwin with Sanders in the slot?

FTFY

Mister Pittsburgh
03-03-2011, 12:00 PM
If he is the best guy sitting there at 1-31, I have no beef with taking him. After that though I would hope we would draft like this.....

CB, OL, CB, OL, S, TE, S, OL (threw a comp pick in there)

Shawn
03-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Can you imagine 3 WR's with 40's in the 4.4's and a 6 foot 5 WR who actually knows how to use his size and hands? This is failing to mention Ward and Miller. And we have a QB who isn't too shabby as well. I think this team is one prime time WR away from being truly elite in the passing game.

Shawn
03-03-2011, 12:18 PM
If he is the best guy sitting there at 1-31, I have no beef with taking him. After that though I would hope we would draft like this.....

CB, OL, CB, OL, S, TE, S, OL (threw a comp pick in there)

I think there is a strong possibility that the Steelers select two DBs in this upcoming draft. I don't think there is even a possibility of them selecting 2 CBs and 2 safeties.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Can you imagine 3 WR's with 40's in the 4.4's and a 6 foot 5 WR who actually knows how to use his size and hands? This is failing to mention Ward and Miller. And we have a QB who isn't too shabby as well. I think this team is one prime time WR away from being truly elite in the passing game.

One prime WR and 3 decent OL.

Crash
03-03-2011, 12:52 PM
If you had to deal with Bill Stull and Tino Sunseri you would be frustrated too. At #31 the risk is minimal.

Colbert is on record though stating he belives Baldwin will be gone in the first half of the first round.

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Mallett leads list of 2011 Combine Fallers

By Doug Farrar
Wed Mar 02

Stock at the scouting combine is a difficult thing to quantify. Whether a player rises or falls in the eyes of the scouting proletariat is dependent in an infinite number of things, and anything mental or physical, emotional or spiritual can trip them up along the way. No matter how well anyone does here, the NFL's personnel minds will always head back to their facilities from Indianapolis and turn on the game tape right away.
That's where most of the questions are answered, though the usefulness of combine drills varies per position and per player. Here are eight players who, for whatever reason, got back on the planes to their hometowns with a fall in several draft boards, and a lot to work on before their pro days.

Ryan Mallett, QB Arkansas Mallett didn't hurt himself on the Lucas Oil Stadium field. He threw the ball, which is the one thing he can do without any problem. But his evasive nature in front of the media when it came to the continued questions about his alleged drug use and overall character was unnecessary and self-destructive. Even if he doesn't have a legitimate strike against him from a character perspective, Mallett's attitude matched up with his iffy game tape at times could be a ticket to the second round.

Andy Dalton, QB, TCU People like Dalton because he won a lot at TCU and he's done well in key games, but his throwing performance at the combine reflected what I saw at the Senior Bowl. His stats inflated in a spread offense, Dalton has proven unable to make consistently forceful throws into narrow windows, even at the intermediate level.

Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa Like Dalton, Stanzi failed to dig his way out of an indifferent Senior Bowl performance. He struggled with accuracy and consistent velocity, and he was even less on target than Dalton. In Mobile and in Indy, Stanzi consistently came up short on simple throws, elevating concern about his ability to do more than carry a clipboard in the NFL.

Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, Oregon State Rodgers has always been a dynamic player; his size (5-foot-6, 196 pounds) is less a concern than you might think once you watch him play. But for the people wondering if he might be the next Dexter McCluster, Rodgers' 4.64 40-yard dash raised a lot of red flags, and his 33-inch vertical jump will make some wonder if he's explosive enough to hold up in the pros.

Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia Dowling was thought to be a potential first-round pick in 2009, but a series of injuries have derailed him since. It was the same at the combine, where he was in the process of running a 4.44 40-yard dash when he pulled up with a hamstring injury, leaving him out for the rest of the drills. Dowling has a lot of talent, but if he can't clear medicals and prove to be healthy, his draft stock will fall precipitously.

Jon Baldwin, WR, Pitt In college, Baldwin was known as a first-round player with mental lapses and consistency issues, and that carried over to the combine, where he lapsed in his routes and lost efficiency in certain drills. From a pure tools perspective, Baldwin has what it takes to succeed in the league, but the question marks could very well keep him out of the first round.

Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland A straight-line receiver with surprising toughness, Smith nonetheless looked very rough and raw in the drills, losing his footing on more than one cut in the cone drills and losing speed and momentum on several routes.

Ahmad Black, S, Florida Black had undeniable ball skills at Florida, but he went into the combine with one big question: how will a 5-foot-10, 184-pound safety succeed in the NFL? If he has 4.4 speed, the answer probably lies somewhere near the nickel back position. But when Black ran a 4.78, he looked a lot like a player too small for one position and too slow for another.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-328734

SteelStallion
03-03-2011, 02:41 PM
It's true, he played on a lackluster team with lackluster QBs and o-line. I'm just telling you guys, he's played badly at times. He gets outplayed by smaller, lesser talent. He's not polished with anything from his hands, to route running, blocking or anything else. He plays lazy at times and takes plays off. He's not Fitz, not even close. A tall body yes. On that basis, yes, he may very well be there at 31 as an underperformer. IMHO he's a risk. He could develop and be great as they all could, or he could get outhustled by our 3rd and 6th rounders while the team misses out on both BPA and need (some needs becoming chronic!). Whatever happens, I hope he does well. I don't mean to come off like I'm dumping on the kid. I just see risk there. We already have that with Sweed.

papillon
03-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Ben can make up for deficiencies at the WR position and he did it this year. Sanders and Brown will be a year older and wiser, Hines will be Hines and Wallace should continue to improve. Unless, a can't miss WR falls to 1.31 I don't see the Steelers taking a WR at that position in the draft.

I could see it happening anytime after round 1, but not in round 1, IMO.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Ben can make up for deficiencies at the WR position and he did it this year. Sanders and Brown will be a year older and wiser, Hines will be Hines and Wallace should continue to improve. Unless, a can't miss WR falls to 1.31 I don't see the Steelers taking a WR at that position in the draft.

I could see it happening anytime after round 1, but not in round 1, IMO.

Pappy

The only can't-miss WR's in this draft are A.J. Green and Julio Jones, and they ain't fallin'.

Shawn
03-03-2011, 03:35 PM
I really do take note of those who have seen Baldwin for much of his career. I know when the media was singing the praises of Ginn, I was saying he was overrated...sloppy. It's not because I'm an elite evaluator of talent...merely because I seen enough of him to know he wasn't that good...just fast. So, in that same light if Pitt fans say the guy is shakey, I believe it.

If he is in fact a guy who we will have to motivate...not sure I want him. I would rather have a guy with love for the game and a motor. It's why Wilkerson is very high on my desire list.

flippy
03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Tomlin seems to prefer high quality character with his 1st picks. I don't see Baldwin being the pick at all.

Think Timmons, Mendy, Hood, and Pouncey....

These guys all have something Baldwin doesn't. And half a$$ing it in college and severely underperforming isn't something I think the Steelers value.

Besides, we seem to be doing ok drafting WRs in the 3rd round. WRs are a dime a dozen.

Remember the formula for championships - QB + QB pressure.

Shawn
03-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Tomlin seems to prefer high quality character with his 1st picks. I don't see Baldwin being the pick at all.

Think Timmons, Mendy, Hood, and Pouncey....

These guys all have something Baldwin doesn't. And half a$$ing it in college and severely underperforming isn't something I think the Steelers value.

Besides, we seem to be doing ok drafting WRs in the 3rd round. WRs are a dime a dozen.

Remember the formula for championships - QB + QB pressure.

After hearing what Pitt fans say about Baldwin I would agree. We need guys who have a love for the game and who are self motivators.

feltdizz
03-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I watched Baldwin a ton and I agree he was hot and cold last year but umm....

Sunseri was AWFUL.. and I mean AWFUL. If Sunsri targeted Baldwin half as much as he did Shanahan I think fans would view him differently.

Sunseri ignored Baldwin half the season and he had a terrible deep ball.

I think Baldwin is a risk but if we pass on him we might regret it.

grotonsteel
03-03-2011, 06:56 PM
I don't see how Jonathan Baldwin is a risk at 31. It is as good as being a 2nd Rd player. I would not mind drafting Baldwin if Pouncey or Sherrod are not available.

Baldwin is a very good blocker and he can definitely be a great possession WR at next level. He would be a great target in Red Zone.

I don't want any CB in first Rd except Peterson or Jimmy Smith. Well Peterson is top 10 pick and Jimmy Smith is stupid.

feltdizz
03-03-2011, 08:12 PM
I don't see how Jonathan Baldwin is a risk at 31. It is as good as being a 2nd Rd player. I would not mind drafting Baldwin if Pouncey or Sherrod are not available.

Baldwin is a very good blocker and he can definitely be a great possession WR at next level. He would be a great target in Red Zone.

I don't want any CB in first Rd except Peterson or Jimmy Smith. Well Peterson is top 10 pick and Jimmy Smith is stupid.

Baldwin is a risk because he looked frustrated when he didn't get touches last season.

I don't think anyone doubts his talent or upside.. it's the mental part of the game people are concerned with.

I also think being a half hour from all his friends in Aliquippa with a ton of cash in his pockets could be a serious problem.

Crash
03-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Baldwin is a risk because he looked frustrated when he didn't get touches last season.

Good. I'd want him to be.

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2011, 01:50 AM

me too. I would rather he gets frustrated than not to care.

feltdizz
03-04-2011, 09:29 AM

his frustration turned into "not caring" (lazy route running) and shorter DB's outplaying him on some pass plays.

Oviedo
03-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Remember the last time we passed on a talented Pitt player who fell in the 1st Round???? I think he was a QB. How'd that work out :stirpot

feltdizz
03-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Remember the last time we passed on a talented Pitt player who fell in the 1st Round???? I think he was a QB. How'd that work out :stirpot

he never won a SB so who cares :D

Baldwin is good but he isn't a Dan Marino type talent. Just my opinion...

I wouldn't be mad if we picked him but I would have concerns about his hustle and being so close to home.

flippy
03-04-2011, 11:10 AM

The guy we really missed out on from Pitt was Curtis Martin. I remember watching him the first time and thinking he was gonna be better than Tony Dorsett.

Total class act. Total Steelers type player. And if he landed with Cowher, he woulda been the all time leading rusher in the history of the NFL.

Having local access to him in Pittsburgh, it was unbelievable to me we let him get drafted in the 3rd round. Totally crazy.

The only other Pitt player I wanted a shot at was Fitzgerald who's another complete class act.

Baldwin seems the complete opposite of these 2 guys.

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2011, 11:21 AM

The guy we really missed out on from Pitt was Curtis Martin. I remember watching him the first time and thinking he was gonna be better than Tony Dorsett.

Total class act. Total Steelers type player. And if he landed with Cowher, he woulda been the all time leading rusher in the history of the NFL.

Having local access to him in Pittsburgh, it was unbelievable to me we let him get drafted in the 3rd round. Totally crazy.

The only other Pitt player I wanted a shot at was Fitzgerald who's another complete class act.

In 1994, we had Barry Foster, Bam Morris, and John L. Williams at RB. Bruener was a no-brainer 1st round pick in 1995 (Jonathan Hayes was our TE in 1994), and Kordell showed tremendous promise as a 2nd round pick. Perhaps if Martin lasted until our pick in the 3rd round, we would have taken him over Brendan Stai, but he didn't. In hindsight, Martin would have been a better pick for us than Kordell, but at the time, I thought Stewart was the right pick there. Then again, if we drafted Martin, we wouldn't have traded for Bettis. And there is also the possibility that Martin would have bolted for New York after 3 seasons like he did to New England.

flippy
03-04-2011, 11:38 AM

In 1994, we had Barry Foster, Bam Morris, and John L. Williams at RB. Bruener was a no-brainer 1st round pick in 1995 (Jonathan Hayes was our TE in 1994), and Kordell showed tremendous promise as a 2nd round pick. Perhaps if Martin lasted until our pick in the 3rd round, we would have taken him over Brendan Stai, but he didn't. In hindsight, Martin would have been a better pick for us than Kordell, but at the time, I thought Stewart was the right pick there. Then again, if we drafted Martin, we wouldn't have traded for Bettis. And there is also the possibility that Martin would have bolted for New York after 3 seasons like he did to New England.

I remember being bummed when NE picked Martin and thought they got the steal of the draft in the 3rd round. I remember he had injury concerns and that plus our roster of RBs was the most likely reason we didn't select him.

In hindsight, without Bruener, we may not have been as good at running the ball during Cowher's tenure.

And I like Kordell in the slash role and the way Gailey used him. But in the end, I think Cowher ended up misusing Stewart and wasted his supreme talent. I became happy with the Stewart pick after his first 2 seasons. And without him, we probably wouldn't have made the 95 SuperBowl. Or so many AFCCs. I'm kinda bummed thinking back on these years. It's a shame Kordell just wasn't a QB.

It's also a shame for Cowher's legacy that he was paired with Kordell for so long. Except for our QB, we fielded the best team in football for so many years.

Guess I should just be happy we have Ben now.

Crash
03-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Not only did we not draft Martin, Tom Donahoe stated that he didn't feel Martin would be drafted, AT ALL!

And this guy was a key member of the front office?

Larry Jr. a class act? Hilarious. LOL

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2011, 02:47 PM

his frustration turned into "not caring" (lazy route running) and shorter DB's outplaying him on some pass plays.

sounds like he would make a good Cincinnati Bengal then... :)

frankthetank1
03-04-2011, 04:59 PM
i hate seeing pitt players not drafted by the steelers and i would love it if we drafted baldwin but why would we be drafting a wr in round 1 or at all? i think we are pretty set at wr with wallace, ward, sanders and brown. both sanders and brown have #2 wr potential. why draft a wr so high for depth? we have bigger needs imo. i do think baldwin will be a stud in the nfl though. pitt was awful last year. if he wasnt frusterated that would be more of a red flag to me

Crash
03-04-2011, 05:12 PM
And I like Kordell in the slash role and the way Gailey used him. But in the end, I think Cowher ended up misusing Stewart and wasted his supreme talent.

I agree, Cowher insisted on playing him at QB.

papillon
03-04-2011, 05:50 PM
And I like Kordell in the slash role and the way Gailey used him. But in the end, I think Cowher ended up misusing Stewart and wasted his supreme talent.

I agree, Cowher insisted on playing him at QB.

If I recall correctly, Kordell didn't want to be a slot/slash player, he wanted to be a quarterback and, in the end, he simply wasn't suited to being a quarterback exclusively.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
03-05-2011, 08:02 PM
InsidePittsburghSports.com

NFL Combine Buzz

Tue, Mar 1st, 2011
by DePaoli

PITT COMBINE BUZZ

The combine was not favorable to former Pitt players Dion Lewis and Jonathan Baldwin. Lewis ran a 4.57 forty-yard dash which many believe will push him to a late round draft pick.

Baldwin who in the eyes of some scouts has late first round potential, continues to have character concerns that won't go away. One veteran NFL scout called Baldwin a "punk" when reached for comment on how Baldwin's viewed by scouts around the league.
Baldwin I'm told did not do well in interviews and there just appears to be a lot of concerns about whether he has what it takes to be an NFL player.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... ams/35726/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/nfl-combine-buzz-cal-u-qb-josh-portis-met-with-13-teams/35726/)

Crash
03-05-2011, 08:08 PM
We'll see if Colbert's right. He said Baldwin will be gone by pick #16.

RuthlessBurgher
03-08-2011, 01:16 PM

When do NFL personnel men ever say what they really feel about a prospect prior to the draft?

Oviedo
03-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Me thinks he doth protest too much!!!!

If Baldwin is sitting there at #31 the Steelers will seriously consider him