PDA

View Full Version : My Mock 2.0

Shawn
03-02-2011, 05:03 PM
In light of some recent information ie desire to keep Colon, that changes a few things for me in my reasoning. If Colon is part of the Steelers future, tackle becomes much less of a priority. I certainly wouldn't drop it off my radar if one falls to us but I just don't see any of the top tackles or DBs falling to us at #31. I truly believe that our first round selection will be a mind blower, something we have to talk about all off season.

1) Jonathan Baldwin-WR Pittsburgh (as the whole Steeler nation lets out a huge moan) But, looking at the board I think there is a very real possibility that Baldwin falls to us at 31. If he does, and Pouncey, Wilkerson, and Sherrod are off the board I see no way the Steelers pass on Baldwin. 6 foot 5 225# and favors comparably to Plaxico Burress. Ben gets his tall WR, the Steelers get another playmaker and a solid possession WR to replace Ward. His skill set is very similar to Burress except he can actually use his body to his advantage. Colbert described what I believe is a Steeler desire to add another WR. I think the Steelers do, just earlier than most anticipated.

2) Brandon Burton-DB Utah speedy, shifty, and tackles well. The mistakes Burton makes seems to be coachable issues. He doesn't fit the big stiff DB mold that we have grown accustomed to in McFadden. This guy can be a legit #2 and should solidify our secondary.

3) Sione Fua NT/DE Stanford-I think the Steelers will like Fua's ability to hold ground, and fight off defenders to make run stopping plays. While he lacks elite NT size he is nimble enough to play not only NT but DE in our system.

4) Demarcus Love OG Arkansas-this guy has really fallen out of favor with some scouts. At one time considered a first rounder now he is being spoken of as a 4th round prospect. I think that is silliness. This is a guy who produced in the SEC. He is a mammoth who has really played well for most of his career. I really like Love in the 4th.

5) Noel Devine RB-UWV...I think Devine could be the steal of the draft. He reminds me of a smaller Maurice Drew Jones. He is lightning out of a bottle. He has elite vision and ability to change direction. He runs tough for a guy his size, and has good hands. I could see the Steelers using him to return balls, change of pace back and also splitting him out at WR. This is a guy who if he can stand up to the beating of the NFL...could be a VERY special player.

6) Clay Mathews-ILB Oregon, I have seen Mathews climbing up many draft boards...closer to where I first had us draft him. I like this kid, and no not just because of his family predigree. This is a football kid...with football running through his veins. He pursues well, plays with motor and has enough physical skills to be a very good linebacker at the next level. This is another guy I think will surprise alot of people.

7) to be added

Oviedo
03-02-2011, 05:10 PM
You have me with picks 1-3. You lost me with picks 4-7.

RuthlessBurgher
03-02-2011, 05:16 PM
You have me with picks 1-3. You lost me with picks 4-7.

That 7th pick especially. To Be Added is way overrated, in my opinion. :P

grotonsteel
03-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I like your 1-3 picks.

Baldwin playing for Steelers will be a dream come true. A tall physical possession receiver would be awesome. Baldwin is a freak. Steelers offense will be high octane. Imagine Baldwin-Wallace-Manny-Brown. Wow simply wow.

I am not a big fan of Burton but he does thing which none of our CB do except for Ike. He has good ball skills and can play man-to-man.

Fua is great run stopper. He is a perfect 3-4 NT.

I liked Demarcus Love but after his Senior bowl performance i am not a big fan. Love might drop further. Not a big fan of Noel or Clay Matthews either.

I would like an OT like Chris Hairston in Rd 4.

NJ-STEELER
03-02-2011, 05:30 PM
i dont know about baldwin. think he could bust

this coming for someone that likes to see pitt and its players do well

birtikidis
03-02-2011, 05:32 PM
who is your other #5 pick?

Blockhead
03-02-2011, 05:34 PM
No thanks on Baldwin.

RuthlessBurgher
03-02-2011, 05:39 PM

What other #5 pick?

birtikidis
03-02-2011, 05:41 PM

What other #5 pick?
dolt never mind.

birtikidis
03-02-2011, 05:41 PM

What other #5 pick?
dolt never mind.

Dee Dub
03-02-2011, 05:43 PM
In light of some recent information ie desire to keep Colon...

Cant you just be honest and say your first one just sucked? :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dee Dub
03-02-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm sticking with mine.

1-RAHIM MOORE FS UCLA
2-RAS-I DOWLING CB VIRGINIA
3-COLIN MCCARTHY ILB MIAMI
4-JOSEPH BARKSDALE OT LSU
5-DION LEWIS RB PITT
6-TYROD TAYLOR WR VIRGINIA TECH
7-ZACH HURD OG UCONN

Shawn
03-02-2011, 05:48 PM
We have 2 #5's?

I hear what ya'll are saying about Love. But, you just have to look at his career to know he held it down against really great SEC talent. I think the 4th would be a steal for this guy.

Baldwin does give me one reservation. I have read his route running is suspect. Anyone who knows me, knows route running and hands are the two things I look for. But, honestly he has almost the exact same skill set as Burress...decent speed, good hands, ok route running. But, Baldwin actually uses his size which Burress never did. I think Baldwin will be a very good one.

Shawn
03-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Cant you just be honest and say your first one just sucked? :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know if I would use suck but I did have Moore as my first pick. :)

steeler_george
03-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Great Minds think a like,

If we go best BPA I can see it happening...I had him origanally listed along with Derek Sherrod, OT in my thread, (that is why I only have one choice instead of 2 there.) " who is likely to slip to us " and I have him predicted selected by us.

I think would be outstanding pick, bring our O to a new level. Imagine Miller, Ward, Wallace,Sanders, Brown, El, and Baldwin. 6 WR sets anyone, just joking.
Add in Mendy and Moore as receivers, that is alot of playmakers on this team.

This draft being is pretty deep in the 2nd and 3rd round in OL, DL, and DB. I believe there are potetial starters in those rounds at those positions.

Shawn
03-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Great Minds think a like,

If we go best BPA I can see it happening...I had him origanally listed along with Derek Sherrod, OT in my thread, (that is why I only have one choice instead of 2 there.) " who is likely to slip to us " and I have him predicted selected by us.

I think would be outstanding pick, bring our O to a new level. Imagine Miller, Ward, Wallace,Sanders, Brown, El, and Baldwin. 6 WR sets anyone, just joking.
Add in Mendy and Moore as receivers, that is alot of playmakers on this team.

This draft being is pretty deep in the 2nd and 3rd round in OL, DL, and DB. I believe there are potetial starters in those rounds at those positions.

Yep, we are thinking alike on this one. I don't think Sherrod falls to us in the first. Pouncey is long gone. Wilkerson is probably gone by mid 20's. The only DBs available are guys who probably deserve a second round grade. We go with a legit O threat in Baldwin. We can do so because the depth is so good on the OL and at DB in rounds 2-4.

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2011, 07:10 PM
this is an excerpt from:

Wexell's Combine "buzz":

12:20 p.m.: Jonathan Baldwin spoke to reporters a few minutes ago. He measures 6-4 3/4, 228 with a wingspan of 79 inches and 10 1/2-inch hands. He's a physical freak, and he has pedigree. One scout, when asked about the Pitt WR, said, "How can he fail? He's from Aliquippa." Baldwin took the comment with a smile and ripped off the names Darrelle Revis, Ty Law, Sean Gilbert and Mike Ditka. Baldwin forgot to mention perhaps the greatest football player ever to come out of the rusting Pittsburgh-area steeltown: Tony Dorsett, who matriculated to Hopewell H.S.

Anyway, the word, as written before, is that Baldwin will be chosen in the middle of the first round.

7 a.m.: Anyone who watched the Outback Bowl has to be hoping for the Steelers to draft Florida G/C Mike Pouncey and line him up next to his twin brother here in Pittsburgh. So Mike's many fans were probably disappointed that I didn't list him among those who visited with the Steelers here in Indianapolis. But don't fear, because Pouncey didn't show up in the media room yesterday. We're expecting him early this morning. All 3 of the Pittsburgh reporters are waiting on him. We checked with the officials here and they assured us they'll have their fastest transcriber at his media session, so the update should come fairly early here.

We've already asked Kevin Colbert about Mike Pouncey and Colbert doesn't think the Steelers will have a chance to draft him, that he'll be gone before they pick, and that he can play center in the league. Colbert also said he doesn't think the Steelers would bump his grade up over any perceived extra chemistry with his brother, but I'm not so sure of that.

Anyway, Mike's transcript will likely be full of Steelers questions, and some info, so be patient. Many O-linemen didn't show up yesterday.

Late last night, Auburn OT Lee Ziemba showed up and told me he did have a quick meeting with the Steelers. We also talked a bit about Kendall Simmons, the former Auburn LT who was drafted by the Steelers and moved to RG. Simmons is now a part of the Auburn coaching staff and Ziemba said that Kendall's one of his favorite people. He was one of mine, too. That's what made it so hard to criticize him when he was with the Steelers.

A couple of other notes: Derrek Sherrod and Steve Schilling are a couple of linemen who didn't visit with the Steelers, for whatever that's worth.

As for my impressions from yesterday, I'd have to say the two most impressive physical specimens were guards Zach Hurd and Andrew Jackson. They are massive men who are also very serious men. The Steelers visited with both and I'll have more about them in my Pouncey/guard story later today.

Shawn
03-02-2011, 08:40 PM
I hope Wexell is wrong. I know the latest Walter mock had him falling to late 20's I believe the 28 range. Heyward is the only playmaker I would want that I'm fairly sure will be there at 31.

Dee Dub
03-02-2011, 08:52 PM

I don't know if I would use suck but I did have Moore as my first pick. :)

And what have you seen that has made you change your mind on Moore? Me personally I think I would rather have Moore than another receiver. I think it benefits the Steelers far more. Yesterday Mike Mayock was talking about Moore's cover skills and how he is probably the only safety in this draft who can cover a slot. That and the fact that he can actually cover man up is something the Steelers are laking.

MeetJoeGreene
03-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Truly a reasoned mock draft that merits praise, laud, and consideration.

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2011, 09:31 PM
And what have you seen that has made you change your mind on Moore?

I saw that Rahim Moore ran a 4.62 40-yard dash...that won't get you drafted in the first round as a DB.

Oviedo
03-03-2011, 09:15 AM
And what have you seen that has made you change your mind on Moore?

I saw that Rahim Moore ran a 4.62 40-yard dash...that won't get you drafted in the first round as a DB.

His Pro Day will determine whether Moore is a Round 1 pick or not. He was by far one of the best DBs from a positional drill standpoint at the Combine. If he can get into the low 4.5 range at his Pro Day he will be a late Round 1 pick and probably wouldn't be a bad pick for us.

The kid does have some serious ball skills and would be an immediate upgrade over Lewis, Madison and Gay (probably Butler too).