PDA

View Full Version : Arians signs his one-year contract

Oviedo
03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Let the bitching and moaning begin

Arians signs one-year contract with Steelers
Wednesday, March 02, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, whose contract expired after the season, has signed a one-year deal to return for the 2011 season.

The Post-Gazette reported last week that Arians, who was excused from attending the NFL combine in Indianapolis, intended to sign a contract and return for his fifth season as offensive coordinator

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11061/11 ... z1FTaiozcO (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11061/1129106-66.stm#ixzz1FTaiozcO)

RuthlessBurgher
03-02-2011, 04:51 PM
http://www.ripeshop.co.uk/ekmps/shops/ripeshop/images/ha28i-lar.jpg

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2011, 05:15 PM
whether yinz like it or not, Brucie is here for another year so you might as well:

http://www.danlew.com/wp-content/uploads/bitch.gif

Steelers>NFL
03-02-2011, 05:35 PM
He makes a dollar too much! :x

BradshawsHairdresser
03-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Dang.

Another season of under-achieving on offense.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-03-2011, 02:54 AM
F my life.

SteelTorch
03-03-2011, 08:10 AM
whether yinz like it or not, Brucie is here for another year so you might as well:

http://www.danlew.com/wp-content/uploads/bitch.gif
No. :P

fezziwig
03-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Dang.

:Clap :Agree

Oviedo
03-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Dang.

Yea!!! I definitely don't want to get to the Super Bowl again :wink: :stirpot

feltdizz
03-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Dang.

2 times in 3 years is 2 times too many!

Fire the bum!

ikestops85
03-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I thought the play calling improved dramatically in the last quarter of the season. We actually ran some sweeps and had designed passes to the backs. Maybe the guy is learning something.

Gawd I hope so. :(

Oviedo
03-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I thought the play calling improved dramatically in the last quarter of the season. We actually ran some sweeps and had designed passes to the backs. Maybe the guy is learning something.

Maybe the OL started performing up to an acceptable standard and he could call plays like that.

I've always said you can't do an objective evaluation of how good Arians is until the OL gets fixed. I believe the OL has limited what he can call and negatively influenced the outcomes of things he did call.

papillon
03-03-2011, 11:58 AM

Maybe the OL started performing up to an acceptable standard and he could call plays like that.

I've always said you can't do an objective evaluation of how good Arians is until the OL gets fixed. I believe the OL has limited what he can call and negatively influenced the outcomes of things he did call.

No, he's just an idiot. Don't you know that? The guy hasn't been around the NFL for more than 1 year or two. :tt2

Pappy

ikestops85
03-03-2011, 12:01 PM

You have a good point there but he also hasn't been very good minimizing the effects of that bad O-line. His calling of 7 step dropbacks has baffled me for years.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Dang.

Imagine if we had an OC who could put together a plan for more than half-a-game...we might have even WON the Super Bowl.

Oviedo
03-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Dang.

Imagine if we had an OC who could put together a plan for more than half-a-game...we might have even WON the Super Bowl.

I doubt that because we don't have a Defensive Coord who has no clue how to deal with a team that has a good QB and more than two good WRs. The Super Bowl simply confirmed that our DC won't adjust anything against good passing teams and he has no answers. :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Dang.

We'll never win a Super Bowl with Arians as our O.C.

http://www.donnan.com/images/SB11.jpg

:stirpot

SteelTorch
03-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Dang.

2 times in 3 years is 2 times too many!

Fire the bum!
It's so hilarious when idiots like yinz think that just cause we made the Superbowl, he must be the reason. :)

Even more hilarious is when you try to blame our DC for our woes, despite him fielding an excellent unit year after year. Probably just so you can feel smart, I'd wager.

ScoreKeeper
03-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Saying BA is a reason we won 2 rings is like saying Barry Switzer was a reason the Boys won a ring.

Crash
03-03-2011, 03:26 PM
My issue is why does LeBeau get a pass though?

If anything Arians is held to a different standard.

I don't give a rats as$ how long LeBeau has been in the league either. His defenses weakness has been the same everywhere he's been.

What ADJUSTMENTS does he actually make?

Arians at least tries to make them.

LeBeau justs rests on his reputation and name.

Oviedo
03-03-2011, 03:32 PM

I don't give a rats as$ how long LeBeau has been in the league either. His defenses weakness has been the same everywhere he's been.

You get it Crash. Huge double standard with regards to our coordinators.

Past performace is not a predictor of future success!!!!!

SteelTorch
03-03-2011, 03:34 PM

Since when does Arians try to adjust? If anything, he adjusts even less than Lebeau.

If LeBeau gets a pass, it's only because his system actually WORKS. Yeah it's not perfect, but it's won us far more games than lost us. 2008 ring any bells? That's more than Arians can say for his system. Since he's taken over, the offense has been average at best, and many times downright pitiful.

That's not saying I blame him for every loss. When DL screws up, I blame him too. He just screws up a lot less than BA. Even when BA doesn't hurt the team, I'm still convinced he does nothing to help it. Does not make the players better, does not adjust well to defenses, and does not call a good game. Probably the best thing he's done for the team is just letting Ben have more control over the offense.

ScoreKeeper
03-03-2011, 03:34 PM
To be honest, I always fear what the D will do against good QB's more than I fear what the O will do against good D's.

Crash
03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Since when does Arians try to adjust?

Ben broke his foot? The pistol formation was unveiled to limit his drop backs in the biggest regular season game of the year.

Demoted Randle El, elevated Sanders and Brown's roles.

More sweeps with Mendy.

More short routes to get Wallace and his speed YAC yards.

Now what adjustments has LeBeau made?

SteelTorch
03-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Since when does Arians try to adjust?

Ben broke his foot? The pistol formation was unveiled to limit his drop backs in the biggest regular season game of the year.

Demoted Randle El, elevated Sanders and Brown's roles.

More sweeps with Mendy.

More short routes to get Wallace and his speed YAC yards.

Now what adjustments has LeBeau made?
1. That wasn't an adjustment to a defense, that was necessary because of Ben's injury.
2. That's something any competent OC should have done.
3+4. Oh really? Did you count them?

Now I ask you, how well did our offense do all season? How many times did Arians run on first down? How many times did he fail to adjust to the defense of a team mid-game and succeed?

As for the defense,

1. Put corners closer to the WR's for more pressure.
2. Put troy further off the LoS when he was hurt.
3. Utilized Timmons more in the defense.
4. Adjusted well in the absence of Smith
5. Demoted Gay back to nickelback after 09
6. Blah blah blah....I could come up with more. But this is missing the picture. You got to look at how well they adjust, too.

I see you pretty much ignored every other point I made in my previous post. Very typical of BA apologists. Go figure.

Crash
03-03-2011, 03:50 PM

When? Against the Panthers? What did he do in the playoffs? They played back with a big lead against the Jets and almost blew it. They did nothing but allow Rodgers the time to sit back and pick them apart.

3rd and 10 down three points, and we didn't blitz.

As usual.

But we'll Jason Cambell or Jimmy Claussen and LeBeau's a genius.

SteelTorch
03-03-2011, 03:56 PM

When? Against the Panthers? What did he do in the playoffs? They played back with a big lead against the Jets and almost blew it. They did nothing but allow Rodgers the time to sit back and pick them apart.

As usual.

I love how you take one point out of each of my posts and ignore everything else. :) Lazy, or just don't have any answers yet?

By the way, as far as the Jets game, maybe you should ask why our offense couldn't score a SINGLE POINT in the second half, and even gave up a safety. :D

feltdizz
03-03-2011, 04:02 PM
1. Put corners closer to the WR's for more pressure. Against bad teams
2. Put troy further off the LoS when he was hurt. This hurt our D
3. Utilized Timmons more in the defense. Really? I think Timmon's was more comfortable this year so it looks like he utilized him more
4. Adjusted well in the absence of Smith That's a joke right? Ziggy is a good replacement, it's not like we had a new scheme
5. Demoted Gay back to nickelback after 09 A year late
6. Blah blah blah....I could come up with more. But this is missing the picture. You got to look at how well they adjust, too.

I see you pretty much ignored every other point I made in my previous post. Very typical of BA apologists. Go figure.

BA is no genius.. but he isn't the villain you make him out to be and given the amount of injuries on the OL the last few years I think BA has done a decent job.

DL is still one of the best but fans need to get a grip on the Lebeau cushion they give him based on past success.

feltdizz
03-03-2011, 04:05 PM

As usual.

I love how you take one point out of each of my posts and ignore everything else. :) Lazy, or just don't have any answers yet?

By the way, as far as the Jets game, maybe you should ask why our offense couldn't score a SINGLE POINT in the second half, and even gave up a safety. :D

Ben missed a wide open WR and the pass was picked... it happens.

Why didn't the D hold GB on 2 TO's from scoring TD's or get a hand on any of Rogders passes in the SB? or the Pats game? or the Saints game?

The passing D is horrible and you won't admit it because EVERYTHING has to be BA's fault.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-03-2011, 04:55 PM
My two cents...

NEITHER BA nor DL are good enough at making adjustments. The Super Bowl is a prime example.

I'd like to see them BOTH replaced. Ain't going to happen, though.

feltdizz
03-03-2011, 06:08 PM
My two cents...

NEITHER BA nor DL are good enough at making adjustments. The Super Bowl is a prime example.

I'd like to see them BOTH replaced. Ain't going to happen, though.

Well there you go... throw the bums out! 8)

BURGH86STEEL
03-03-2011, 06:09 PM
In my mind, what many adjustments boiled down too for some fans goes directly back to player execution. When the players executed, the coaches made adjustments. When the players didn't execute, the coaches didn't adjust. I noticed certain changes that took place on offense and defense when I watched games. I am not sure if those changes were part of the game plan or adjustments made by the coaches.

It's very difficult to debate adjustments without knowing the game plans and by going over game film. Ultimately, adjustments failure or success depend on how well the players execute. It's something that's stated by players and coaches all the time.

feltdizz
03-03-2011, 06:18 PM
In my mind, what many adjustments boiled down too for some fans goes directly back to player execution. When the players executed, the coaches made adjustments. When the players didn't execute, the coaches didn't adjust. I noticed certain changes that took place on offense and defense when I watched games. I am not sure if those changes were part of the game plan or adjustments made by the coaches.

It's very difficult to debate adjustments without knowing the game plans and by going over game film. Ultimately, adjustments failure or success depend on how well the players execute. It's something that's stated by players and coaches all the time.

when we win... BA still sucks..
when we lose.. he sucks even more.

when the D blows a late lead.... BA is the devil :twisted:

grotonsteel
03-03-2011, 06:47 PM

Steelers Defense was very disappointing in the Superbowl.

And i am not sure how they will improve next season...??? Rookies don't play for Steelers D because they just can't understand the play book. So we are stuck with BMac,Gay and Madison at CB position and Clark as a safety who can't cover.

feltdizz
03-03-2011, 06:49 PM

And i am not sure how they will improve next season...??? Rookies don't play for Steelers D because they just can't understand the play book. So we are stuck with BMac,Gay and Madison at CB position and Clark as a safety who can't cover.

:Agree

Tyrone Carter was a prime example of everything wrong with our DB development.

Crash
03-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Understand the playbook my as$. Darren Perry was calling defenses and started every game the minute he walked into Dom Capers' meeting room. How many rooks played on defense for GB this season? They run the same GD defense we do.

Blockhead
03-03-2011, 07:27 PM

Not nearly as much as the offense and the giveaways.

Our defense held them to less pts, 1st downs and total yards than their defense. If not for our offense giving the ball away, giving multiple short fields and giving points away, we win handedly.

feltdizz
03-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Understand the playbook my as$. Darren Perry was calling defenses and started every game the minute he walked into Dom Capers' meeting room. How many rooks played on defense for GB this season? They run the same GD defense we do.

what does GB's D have to do with our development of DB's under Lebeau?

feltdizz
03-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Our defense held them to less pts, 1st downs and total yards than their defense. If not for our offense giving the ball away, giving multiple short fields and giving points away, we win handedly.

The D didn't make any splash plays and GB dropped 2 TD's.

Blockhead
03-03-2011, 07:51 PM

The D didn't make any splash plays and GB dropped 2 TD's.
How many opportunities did our offense blow? Counting what if's won't help the cause. They were on both sides.

Facts, the offense gave the ball away three times. Fact, the offense gave away a pick 6. Without them, we win.

feltdizz
03-03-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm not disagreeing with the TO's and pick 6... the O wasn't up to par.

It would've been nice if our D was able to generate a TO or hold them to 3 points on one of the TO's.

SteelTorch
03-04-2011, 01:52 AM

As usual.

Why didn't the D hold GB on 2 TO's from scoring TD's or get a hand on any of Rogders passes in the SB? or the Pats game? or the Saints game?

The passing D is horrible and you won't admit it because EVERYTHING has to be BA's fault.
Nobody here is saying EVERYTHING is BA's fault. You're just saying that because you have to find some excuse to cover his sorry behind And you wonder why I call you dumb. :)

And the pass D isn't perfect, I've never denied that. But they aren't horrible as you like to pretend they are. Fact. If they were, we wouldn't have even made the Superbowl and even mediocre QB's would have an easy time against it. Again, your stupidity shines through. :Cheers

feltdizz
03-04-2011, 09:23 AM

As usual.

Nobody here is saying EVERYTHING is BA's fault. You're just saying that because you have to find some excuse to cover his sorry behind And you wonder why I call you dumb. :)

And the pass D isn't perfect, I've never denied that. But they aren't horrible as you like to pretend they are. Fact. If they were, we wouldn't have even made the Superbowl and even mediocre QB's would have an easy time against it. Again, your stupidity shines through. :Cheers

the pass D is horrible... a ton of mediocre QB's had good games against our D.

We played the Ravens and the Jets in the playoffs... those teams are built to run. When we play teams that are pass heavy we look suspect on D. If we played the Pats* we would've been on the couch watching the SB.

idiot. :wink:

SteelTorch
03-04-2011, 12:48 PM

We played the Ravens and the Jets in the playoffs... those teams are built to run. When we play teams that are pass heavy we look suspect on D. If we played the Pats* we would've been on the couch watching the SB.

We ranked 2nd last year in defensive passer rating, 7th in forcing negative pass plays, FIRST in passing YPA allowed, 3rd in passing TD's allowed, and 5th in interceptions. Even in total passing yards per game, we were 12th - just barely middle of the pack.

Once again, talking without having a single factoid to pack yourself. Very typical of you. :moon

feltdizz
03-04-2011, 01:51 PM

We ranked 2nd last year in defensive passer rating, 7th in forcing negative pass plays, FIRST in passing YPA allowed, 3rd in passing TD's allowed, and 5th in interceptions. Even in total passing yards per game, we were 12th - just barely middle of the pack.

Once again, talking without having a single factoid to pack yourself. Very typical of you. :moonthe only thing typical is your weak insults.

saying the pass D is horrible is an opinion.

You go ahead and raise your pom pom's for the pass D if it makes you happy.

The pass D stinks.