PDA

View Full Version : Schefter Tweet: Steelers could cut Flozell this week

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2011, 11:09 PM
More Willie Colon, Flozell Adams and Right Tackle News

Posted on March 1, 2011 by adam

The NFL and the Players Association are still fighting over which side gets the largest chunk of a pie filled with billions of dollars, and itís just about ready to bring the NFL offseason to a complete stop. That said, thereís still some news trickling out of the madness, and a bit more on the Steelers right tackle situation.

Willie Colonís future with the team has been a topic of discussion over the past week, with mixed messages about whether or not heíll return. Basically, it comes down to he wonít be back. Unless he is. And thatís where we stand.

On Tuesday, NFL Networkís Jason La Confora tweeted that the Steelers placed a first-round restricted free agent tender on Colon. That, of course, is pretty important news, but could also be completely worthless in the long run depending on what sort of free agency rules come with a new CBA. As La Confora points out itís possible that under the new rules (whatever they may be and whenever theyíre finally put into place) Colon could be an unrestricted free agent, free to sign with the highest bidder.

In semi-related news, ESPNís Adam Schefter mentioned this morning in a Tweet that Colonís injury replacement in 2010, Flozell Adams, could be on the cut list this week. When the Steelers signed Adams prior to this season my expectations were somewhere between this is going to be a disaster, and at least a false start wonít result in the quarterback getting blown up.

When all was said and done Adams not only exceeded my expectations (and the expectations of just about everybody), he became somewhat of a rallying cry leading up to Super Bowl XLV, getting the jersey treatment on the trip to Dallas that had previously been reserved for Steelers legends like Jerome Bettis and D!ck LeBeau. Nobody saw that coming.

Still, Schefterís Tweet is interesting given that a week ago Tuesday Mike Tomlin said that he would like Adams to be back with the Steelers for another season.

Iíve mentioned on more than one Steelers Lounge Podcast that it wouldnít shock me to see the Steelers cut Adams loose, even after his impressive season, simply because he carries a $5 million salary next season. Plus, given the choice of Colon or Adams at right tackle, I still think Iíd prefer to see Colon manning the position in 2011. Heís not only eight years younger, I simply like him more as a player at this point. Heís come a long way in a short amount of time and was perhaps the best player on the line in 2009, which is why his season-ending injury was thought to be such a damaging blow.

I may be in the minority, but I really donít hate the possibility of Colon and Max Starks serving as bookends on the offensive line with Maurkice Pouncey anchoring it in the middle. Starks and Colon arenít great by any stretch, but theyíre not exactly turnstiles, either. Plus, itís safe to assume that no matter who the Steelers suit up on the line, theyíre going to give up a lot of sacks simply due to the style of play coming from the quarterback position (as J.J. pointed out over at our former stomping grounds, the majority of the sacks on Roethlisberger this season were on passing plays where he held on to the ball for more than three seconds. The median ďsack timeĒ across the league was 2.7 seconds).

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/03/w ... ckle-news/ (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/03/willie-colon-flozell-adams-tackle-news/)

Flasteel
03-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Unless there is an implication that Colon will not want to return if Adams is still here, the decision to cut him loose would be foolish. I didn't see mention of a roster bonus, or any other offseason escalators. If his salary wouldn't become fully guaranteed until he's on the roster opening day, the why cut him now? We would need to see what is going to happen with Colon before we could ever dream of letting Flozell walk.

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2011, 12:21 AM
We would need to see what is going to happen with Colon before we could ever dream of letting Flozell walk.

that's the first thing I thought of, it doesn't make sense...what if the new CBA makes Willie Colon an UFA, then we've lost both Flozell and Colon?

Discipline of Steel
03-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Im not saying Shefter is retarded but that was a retarded tweet. Ill reference the learned opinions of the two gentlemen above and throw in that Colon's full return from an achilles injury is not a given. Tackles would be Fatt Maxx (returning form injury), Hills, Scott, possibly Essux (god forbid), a rook, and maybe Jordan Gross. Yeah, that last one was a bad joke but even with a 1st round rook, the OT situation would be concerning to say the least. We would almost be forced to reach for a 1st round OT and you know the Steelers wont allow themselves to be in that kind of position. Maybe Im retarded.

Crash
03-02-2011, 01:33 AM
Schefter's fishing. This is what he does. He throws sh*t against the wall and hopes he's right so he can say he was first.

If they cut him? It's only because Flozell told them he's done.

Chadman
03-02-2011, 01:59 AM
In other breaking news around the NFL- Mike Tomlin MIGHT become an astronaut. Tom Brady is POSSIBLY male, and there are uncomnfirmed reports that Payton Manning is POTENTIALLY a robot.

fordfixer
03-02-2011, 02:08 AM
In other breaking news around the NFL- Mike Tomlin MIGHT become an astronaut. Tom Brady is POSSIBLY male, and there are uncomnfirmed reports that Payton Manning is POTENTIALLY a robot.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BURGH86STEEL
03-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Even with a 5 million dollar salary, I don't feel it will be a wise move to cut Adams.

The Sodfather
03-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Why cut him at this time???

Makes no sense

Oviedo
03-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Makes no sense to cut Adams unless he is due a big roster bonus which I don't think he is. The $5M means nothing because it is next seasons salary.

I'd keep Flo and hope he has one more year in him. We have already retained the rights to Colon. Getting both them back for next season just make the options stronger along the OL.

steelblood
03-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Makes no sense to cut Adams unless he is due a big roster bonus which I don't think he is. The $5M means nothing because it is next seasons salary.

I'd keep Flo and hope he has one more year in him. We have already retained the rights to Colon. Getting both them back for next season just make the options stronger along the OL.

Right, and if there is a new CBA, there will likely be a flex-cap (where teams are given a ceiling and then allowed to be slightly over this year in order to ease into a hard cap the next season). So, the money is a little irrelevant. Besides 5 million for a good RT is a steal.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Plus, given the choice of Colon or Adams at right tackle, I still think Iíd prefer to see Colon manning the position in 2011. Heís not only eight years younger, I simply like him more as a player at this point.

That statement is enough to tell you the author is on crack. Adams was better last season than Colon ever was.

Oviedo
03-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Plus, given the choice of Colon or Adams at right tackle, I still think Iíd prefer to see Colon manning the position in 2011. Heís not only eight years younger, I simply like him more as a player at this point.

That statement is enough to tell you the author is on crack. Adams was better last season than Colon ever was.

A truer staement has never been made on this board. Unfortunately Flo is 36 and we are unsure he has decided to saddle up for one more season.

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2011, 04:45 PM
unless Flo has informed the Steelers that he's retiring it would make no sense to let him go...

Hold the Phone: The Steelers Tender Offer to Willie Colon Will Almost Certainly Be Rendered Irrelevant

by Michael Bean on Mar 2, 2011

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/555792/96238221_medium.jpg

On Tuesday, news broke that the Pittsburgh Steelers had used a first round tender offer to restricted free agent Willie Colon. As was to be expected, a conversation broke out amongst fans about what that all meant for Colon and the likelihood of him returning to the black and gold in 2011 and beyond.

Well, not so fast. There was a reason that I structured my free agent analysis of Willie Colon the way I did several weeks ago. In the post, I assessed Colon's future from the standpoint that he was going to be an unrestricted free agent once a new Collective Bargaining Agreement was ultimately reached. However, on Monday, I pushed John S. to publish the news that Colon had been tendered before taking time to really think if the move carried any real significance. Had I done so, I might have decided to pass on the story, or ideally, waited until I collected my thoughts about the subject as I'm trying to do now.

It wasn't until this afternoon that I finally realized that Colon's current restricted status could vanish under the new CBA. And for obvious reasons. In the comments section of that post I non-nondescriptly wrote:

The new CBA may very well make him unrestricted rather than restricted. He would have been an URFA if not for the change in rules a year ago.

To expound upon that more thoroughly: Colon should have been an unrestricted free agent after the '08 season. Maybe should is not the right word, but the man had four accrued NFL seasons under his belt, which for years was the benchmark for reaching unrestricted status. Not that year though. Here's what I wrote several weeks ago about Colon's story:

Unfortunately for Colon, sheer bad luck stood in the way of him signing an unrestricted free agent deal at about this time last year. Under the provisions of the last CBA, Colon's four years of service were no longer enough to qualify him for URFA status. Instead, Colon had to sign a one-year RFA deal last offseason that paid him a nice sum. But make no mistake about it: had Colon entered the league just one year earlier and qualified for URFA after the '09 season, he would have been able to find a suitor willing to offer a multi-year deal in the eight digits, with perhaps as much as $10-$15 million in guarantees.

Alas for the Bronx native, four or even five seasons no longer cut it. Six accrued seasons was suddenly the magic number before a player truly hit the 'open' market.

Even though your guess is as good as mine about what the new CBA might look like, while writing that post I felt confident predicting that NFL players won't have to sacrifice six years of head trauma inducing collisions and (relatively) marginal compensation financially before being free to shop their services around the league. I still feel that way, and perhaps even more strongly. It ain't happening. Not in a league where the average shelf life for players is fewer than five years.

Perhaps the NFL ownership and the NFLPA will split the difference and agree upon five years for URFA status, but you can bet your bottom dollar it won't be six.

This point was hammered home in my mind when I read Ed Bouchette's most recent article about how mutliple Steelers players will have to wait as long as half a calendar year or longer before seeing the roster bonuses they were set to make in early March. In the event of a lockout -- which we all agree is just a few short days away from being a reality -- guys like James Harrison, Maurkice Pouncey, and Hines Ward would have to wait for the first day of the new 'football year' before seeing those bonuses. Usually that's March 4th when free agency opens. But not this year.

More relevant to our conversation though is that Bouchette also mentioned the following in the article:

Many teams are even sending out restricted tender offers to players who usually would become unrestricted free agents Friday, and that includes the Steelers. Under past CBA rules, players would become unrestricted after four years of service. That changed last year when rules changed for the final year of the CBA -- players could not become unrestricted until they had six years of service.

Colon was among those affected; he was restricted last year rather than unrestricted, and for the third consecutive year, the Steelers have tendered him a contract as such. He earned $2,198,000 last season.

A new CBA, though, is unlikely to make players go six years before becoming unrestricted free agents so the Steelers' tender to Colon likely will be rendered useless, ultimately.

"Obviously, the union doesn't expect that to be upheld," Metz said of the RFA tenders to players who have completed at least four years. "That was what the strikes in the '80s were for; they're not going to give that back."

Bless Bouchette of succinctly bringing this point up for us. We're in the business of forecasting as fans, and with the 2011 NFL Draft less than two months away, the prognostications and 'logical' assumptions are about to spike to extreme leves like they do every year around this time. Myself included.

The Steelers situation at tackle just so happens to be unusually complicated and intriguing. Three are free agents, one is owed over $7 million dollars in 2011, one is 36 years old. Crazy. And speculating about any of their futures inevitably requires making assumptions and best guesses about others. That's part of the fun, but in this instance, it would be particularly useful and a lot more fun if we carried on with the shared understanding that it's 99 percent likely that Colon will not be a restricted free agent in '11. That doesn't mean he won't be back in Pittsburgh, just that it's going to take more than a one-year ~$3 million dollar investment in '11 to keep him in the fold.

So, let's all just forget about Tuesday's news about Willie Colon being offered a qualifying tender for the 2011 season. You and I are more likely to win the lottery or walk on to the Steelers squad at Latrobe next season than there being a six-year waiting period before NFLPA members can become unrestrcited free agents.

Fine, maybe it's not that unlikely. But since we're in the business of 365-days-a-year speculation and discussion about our favorite team in the world's best sporting league, let's at least all agree that, moving forward, our conversations about Willie Colon should be directed by the overwhelming likelihood that Colon will eventually be granted URFA status under the terms of the new CBA.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/3/2/2024537/hold-the-phone-the-steelers-tender-offer-to-willie-colon-will-almost#storyjump)

Blockhead
03-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Even with a 5 million dollar salary, I don't feel it will be a wise move to cut Adams.
NOt if it's a salary. If it was a bonus, he'd be cut.

Crash
03-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Rooney: We want Flozell back
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 3, 2011, 9:19 AM EST

ESPN ran a report earlier this week that tackle Flozell Adams was a candidate to be released this offseason.

That was hardly a surprise: Adams is due $5 million next season and itís uncertain if heíll have a starting job waiting for him. Adams has a big backer, however, in the building.

Team president Art Rooney II said Wednesday via the Pittsburgh Post Gazette that the Steelers want Adams back next year. Thatís not really a surprise, either: offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said he didnít know where the offensive line would be without Adamsí steady play in 2010.

Perhaps the Steelers ask Adams to take a pay cut on the other side of this CBA mess. Maybe not. For now, it looks like Adams may wind up a starter in the Steel city again.

Willie Colon was given a restricted free agent tender, but it appears like heís on his way out.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-03-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm confused myself. Why tender when the only way it would mean anything is if they extended and went by 2010 rules until a new CBA was reached or the new CBA went to 6 years for UFA which I'm sure the players wouldn't agree to. So the tender doesn't make sense on Colon unless the Steelers have an idea where the talks are going.

Now to releasing Adams. Doesn't make sense to me. If he wants to play, he more than deserves the RT spot going into camp if Colon isn't here. If Colon is here, it should be open competition for RT "OR" try the fan favorite move of Colon to RG.

Maybe if I stop scratching my head on this and scratch my a$$ instead, the answers will come.

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Flozell Adams' roster spot is safe for now

Today - 6:55 PM ET

Team president Art Rooney II seconded coach Mike Tomlin's sentiment that the Steelers want RT Flozell Adams back in 2011.

ESPN's Adam Schefter speculated via Twitter days ago that Adams could be among the veterans released this week. The Steelers will hang onto him with Willie Colon's future in doubt. It's a good bet that Adams will still be asked to restructure.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41895 ... layer_news (http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41895821/sports/player_news)