PDA

View Full Version : We tendered Colon? I'm so confused.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Steelers place first-round restricted tender on T Colon

By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
NFL Network Insider
Published: March 1, 2011 at 02:01 p.m.
Email Print
Read Discuss
The Pittsburgh Steelers placed a first-round restricted tender on tackle Willie Colon on Tuesday, according to league source.

Colon, who missed the entire 2010 season due to a torn Achilles' tendon he sustained during training camp, could be an unrestricted free agent pending new labor rules once the NFL and the players union agree on a new collective bargaining agreement.

The fifth-year pro started every game from 2007-09 for the Steelers.

Crash
03-01-2011, 03:20 PM
He's a RFA. They can always remove it before he signs or they can even allow him to seek a deal and then trade him.

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2011, 03:29 PM
the Steelers tendered Sepulveda also, here's a good explanation:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/03/st ... sepulveda/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/03/steelers-tender-t-willie-colon-p-daniel-sepulveda/)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2011, 03:58 PM
From what I heard this morning, there could several things that go down before Thursday's midnight deadline. A new CBA doesn't have to be in place for the business part of the game to move forward as long as they can come to some type of agreement for short term. The bigger issue could come down to keeping stability while moving toward an agreement. They could agree to extend and play under same rules a last year while they put a new deadline in place. Which I believe carries the extended years for a restricted free agent and would allow the Steelers to tender Colon & Sepulveda. Someone who is more "in tune" could verify. Perhaps since they are so far apart on some major issues the mediate talks this week were more centered around putting something in place to protect their business in 2011 since it is a lose-lose for both sides with a lock-out. If this is the case...It's not great news....But it is better news.

steeler_george
03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
StarSpangleSteeler, I am just as confused as you with this move.

I have a few ponits to make about Colon:

1) I admit, I am probably the biggest basher of Colon on here, not based on his play, but his unfortune injury. I don't want want another Simmons fiasco on our hands, where 3 years on and we are still looking for our starting RT.

Please people, remind me again was Simmons demise soley on his achilles, or was the combo of achilles, previos injuries and his diabetes. Did we tender him too or was he under contract?

2) I don't think under the NFL rules, coaches and team Drs can talk or meet with players, such as Colon. Is a medical check up an exception to the rule? So how did montitor his condition, and why would the offer a contract of that amount to a seriously injured player with out testing to see where he stands. There is no way he is healed after just 6-7 months with that injury.

3) Is this a smoke screen move to cover up our intents in the draft?

4) Can we trade his right for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, if all goes well with nfl union negotiations.

5) Can he play center....sorry had to throw that in there! lol

Crash
03-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Simmons was extended in 2007 after the knee surgery and his diabetes diagnoses. He was just a physical wreak, dating all the way back since college. He was let go after his achillies though.

Iron Shiek
03-01-2011, 05:15 PM
StarSpangleSteeler, I am just as confused as you with this move.

I have a few ponits to make about Colon:

1) I admit, I am probably the biggest basher of Colon on here, not based on his play, but his unfortune injury. I don't want want another Simmons fiasco on our hands, where 3 years on and we are still looking for our starting RT.

Please people, remind me again was Simmons demise soley on his achilles, or was the combo of achilles, previos injuries and his diabetes. Did we tender him too or was he under contract?

2) I don't think under the NFL rules, coaches and team Drs can talk or meet with players, such as Colon. Is a medical check up an exception to the rule? So how did montitor his condition, and why would the offer a contract of that amount to a seriously injured player with out testing to see where he stands. There is no way he is healed after just 6-7 months with that injury.

3) Is this a smoke screen move to cover up our intents in the draft?

4) Can we trade his right for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, if all goes well with nfl union negotiations.

5) Can he play center....sorry had to throw that in there! lol
:HeadBanger
Good thing we don't have to ask that anymore. But now we can ask, can he play Tackle (or Corner)?

steeler_george
03-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Simmons was extended in 2007 after the knee surgery and his diabetes diagnoses. He was just a physical wreak, dating all the way back since college. He was let go after his achillies though.

Thanks Crash, I do rember something to extent that his play was demising, but i couldn't remeber why.

Do you see him comeing back from the achilles injury?

I am a Debbie Downer on this, I just don't see it since the OL base starts from footwork. How is he going to pivot, pull, push, gain leverage on a wobbly leg?

Crash
03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Dan Marino did, and that was after 10 years.

I think what helps Colon is he doesn't seem to have the big wear and tear that Simmons did. But what hurts him, is the lockout itself. If he's serious about his re-hab he may need to hire a personal trainer to help until they make a deal.

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Steelers offer Colon 1-year contract

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 2, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-03-01/colon-a.jpg

Willie Colon
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

The Steelers offered a one-year contract to right tackle Willie Colon, though it may not be valid after NFL owners and players reach a deal on a new collective bargaining agreement.

Joe Linta, Colon's agent, said he received the offer the Steelers made to Colon as a restricted free agent Tuesday. It's similar to the one Colon signed last year, when the Steelers put a first-round tender on the player who had started 54 consecutive games at right tackle from 2006-09.

Colon received $2.198 million last year but missed the season after rupturing his Achilles tendon.

The Steelers would have had the right to match any offer made to Colon before he signed. If another team had signed Colon, it would have had to give the Steelers a first-round draft pick in return.

That provision is in the latest contract the Steelers have offered Colon, but the deal didn't come with a dollar amount, reflecting how tenuous it is for several reasons.

The unsettled labor situation — the NFL is moving inexorably toward its first work stoppage since 1987 — has cast questions on the devices teams use to keep their players from becoming unrestricted free agents.

Also, Colon has accrued five seasons of NFL service, making it likely that the 6-foot-3, 315-pounder will be an unrestricted free agent after a new CBA is in place.

If Colon is an unrestricted free agent, that would nullify the offer the Steelers made to him as a restricted free agent.

Read more: Steelers offer Colon 1-year contract - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1FPnffG7R (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_725346.html#ixzz1FPnffG7R)

papillon
03-02-2011, 07:42 AM
I must be a bit obtuse about this offer. This seems like a win-win situation for the Steelers. They'd like to have Colon at 2 million plus dollars for one more year; if Willie gets an offer the Steelers don't like they get a 1st round pick. I don't see how this doesn't work out for the Steelers either way.

If he signs the Steelers get the best right tackle in the NFL :stirpot ; if he doesn't sign they get a 1st round pick.

Pappy

Oviedo
03-02-2011, 08:58 AM
I must be a bit obtuse about this offer. This seems like a win-win situation for the Steelers. They'd like to have Colon at 2 million plus dollars for one more year; if Willie gets an offer the Steelers don't like they get a 1st round pick. I don't see how this doesn't work out for the Steelers either way.

If he signs the Steelers get the best right tackle in the NFL :stirpot ; if he doesn't sign they get a 1st round pick.

Pappy

:Agree This is a win-win for the Steelers. It also, and I know some will take issue, leaves open the option that if Flo comes back they still have some leverage to give Colon a try out at Guard. If he can hold up for a year , proves he has recovered from the injury and performs well enough he could earn himself a good contract so he doesn't lose out by agreeing to that either.

Everyone can say Colon is a RT but I saw Flozell at 36 play better RT than Colon ever did. The whole he is "the best RT" was from old Coach Z. I'd like to have Kugler make his assessment and try him at Guard.

RuthlessBurgher
03-02-2011, 11:10 AM
I must be a bit obtuse about this offer.

What did you call me?

http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes3/ShawShank38.jpeg