PDA

View Full Version : SKL live from Indy

steelerkeylargo
02-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Checking in with you guys. I have been battling a cold in this crap Indy weather.
Have had a busy busy week. Did get to speak with Kevin Colbert (very briefly) just exchanged pleasantries and dont have a lot to say really. However, I did get a strong feeling that we may be looking at a move up the board to get a specific guy. It has been a who's who week in hotel lobbies and local establishments. Jay Glazer has been at St. Elmo's in the same seat 3 straight nights. Did get a chance to catch up with Charles Davis, Mike Mayock and Paul Burmeister all good, humble guys and even invite me out to the NFLN studios. Talked to a bunch of agents and media guys, scouts and former scouts. I can tell you that Mike Pouncey will undoubtedy go before pick 31. Will touch back with you guys tomorrow on a bunch more stuff tomorrow. I will also have some news about a first round corner who is "off the Steelers board". :Beer

steelerkeylargo
02-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Almost forgot...every NFL personality I talked too this week (dozens) have said that the probability of a lockout is 99.9%. I asked them when is the time to worry and the consenus is that if no deal is in place before the draft it will go to july or august.

NJ-STEELER
02-27-2011, 11:01 PM
why is that corner off the steelers board?

personal issues?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-28-2011, 12:10 AM
why is that corner off the steelers board?

personal issues?

Come on NJ...thats the hook. Thats why we have to check in tomorrow.

Great stuff SKL. Crappy news on the lockout potential, but glad to have you on the front lines nonetheless.

Shawn
02-28-2011, 01:46 AM
My money is that it's Harris.

Chadman
02-28-2011, 01:53 AM
reckon it's Patrick Peterson...

hawaiiansteel
02-28-2011, 02:30 AM

he's out of our reach, might as well take him off the list...

Chadman
02-28-2011, 09:25 AM

he's out of our reach, might as well take him off the list...

:D That's the whole point...

steelerkeylargo
02-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Ok fellas as promised I would give you a little info about a Corner that is off our board. I am not gonna tell you the source, but, I will say that he is the NFL agent for 2 VERY prominent members of the Steelers organization.

http://thenationalfootballreport.com/20 ... e-edition/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/02/28/five-on-the-fly-combine-edition/)

I have a couple more nuggets to share later.

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Ok fellas as promised I would give you a little info about a Corner that is off our board. I am not gonna tell you the source, but, I will say that he is the NFL agent for 2 VERY prominent members of the Steelers organization.

http://thenationalfootballreport.com/20 ... e-edition/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/02/28/five-on-the-fly-combine-edition/)

If I had to guess, I'd say the Steelers researched the Smith's past history getting caught underaged drinking as a freshman and also a failed drug tests as well. Steeler brass already knew the answers the questions that they were asking, and he probably lied about them. Pure speculation on my part.

grotonsteel
02-28-2011, 03:37 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say the Steelers researched the Smith's past history getting caught underaged drinking as a freshman and also a failed drug tests as well. Steeler brass already knew the answers the questions that they were asking, and he probably lied about them. Pure speculation on my part.

I will go with your assumption.

http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-bronc ... do-combine (http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2011/2/27/2018985/2011-nfl-draft-jimmy-smith-colorado-combine)

On Friday, there was a report from a Detroit beat writer that the Lions would not look at Colorado Buffaloes cornerback Jimmy Smith with the 13th overall pick because of off-the-field issues that teams were aware of already. Smith addressed that and several other questions during Sunday's combine activities.

According to Gary Miller, Smith wrote off those issues as "youthful mistakes [during] freshman year." However, teams have asked him about it over the last several days. Smith, it turns out, had been charged twice for possessing alcohol as a minor and had a positive drug test.

Moving on from that, Smith then discussed comparisons others have made between him and one of the top corners in the league, Nnamdi Asomugha. Smith "believes he has better ball skills." Nothing like a little boast to pique interest, right?

Smith noted as well that he hired Drew Rosenhaus as his agent recently to get "better representation." Rosenhaus is known to be a tough negotiator, and this move could drop Smith's stock a bit.

hawaiiansteel
02-28-2011, 07:33 PM
did Jimmy Smith get his drugs from that guy Hines hangs out with? :stirpot

eniparadoxgma
02-28-2011, 09:14 PM
did Jimmy Smith get his drugs from that guy Hines hangs out with? :stirpot

:tt2 :Cheers

Blockhead
02-28-2011, 11:00 PM

I will go with your assumption.

http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-bronc ... do-combine (http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2011/2/27/2018985/2011-nfl-draft-jimmy-smith-colorado-combine)

On Friday, there was a report from a Detroit beat writer that the Lions would not look at Colorado Buffaloes cornerback Jimmy Smith with the 13th overall pick because of off-the-field issues that teams were aware of already. Smith addressed that and several other questions during Sunday's combine activities.

According to Gary Miller, Smith wrote off those issues as "youthful mistakes [during] freshman year." However, teams have asked him about it over the last several days. Smith, it turns out, had been charged twice for possessing alcohol as a minor and had a positive drug test.

Moving on from that, Smith then discussed comparisons others have made between him and one of the top corners in the league, Nnamdi Asomugha. Smith "believes he has better ball skills." Nothing like a little boast to pique interest, right?

Smith noted as well that he hired Drew Rosenhaus as his agent recently to get "better representation." Rosenhaus is known to be a tough negotiator, and this move could drop Smith's stock a bit.
1. You get high walking down the street in Boulder.
2. A college kid drinking and smoking weed? What has the world come to? Craziness.
3. We won't draft a guy for smoking weed but we'll move up in the first to draft a guy who admits to selling drugs, has three kids, multiple fights, etc. Yeah, that makes sense.

steelerkeylargo
02-28-2011, 11:43 PM
The Steelers have met with Tyron Smith, Noel Devine & DJ Williams.

steelblood
03-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Did you say DJ Williams? That sounds like an excellent second round selection. :P

grotonsteel
03-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Did you say DJ Williams? That sounds like an excellent second round selection. :P

No way i draft D J Williams in Rd 2. He is 6'2" and 235 lbs. I think he could be drafted to replace Johnson but Rd 2 is too early for a player like him.

I would take a guy like Luke Stocker over D J Williams.

steelerkeylargo
03-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Talking to some people well connected. The Steelers are very interested in getting ahead of the Ravens who are drafting #26. It would probably mean giving up their 2nd and getting back a third.

grotonsteel
03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Talking to some people well connected. The Steelers are very interested in getting ahead of the Ravens who are drafting #26. It would probably mean giving up their 2nd and getting back a third.

Hmm..is it for a CB?? I think Ravens will look for a CB in Rd 1.

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2011, 01:20 PM

The Ravens also have OL issues at RG/RT (Yanda and Chester are both free agents, Gaither's future there is questionable after missing this past season with injury). Moving ahead of them would also be moving ahead of NYJ, CHI, NE, and ATL as well. All 5 of those teams could possibly be interesting in taking Mike Pouncey. If Pounce is available at #25, we may Pounce.

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2011, 03:06 PM

to move up to #25 (720 pts) would require the Steelers to give up their #31 (600 pts) and #95 (120 pts) - the trade works out perfectly point-wise.

in other words, we give our 1st and 3rd to move up to get Seattle's 1st round choice.

NJ-STEELER
03-01-2011, 04:35 PM

to move up to #25 (720 pts) would require the Steelers to give up their #31 (600 pts) and #95 (120 pts) - the trade works out perfectly point-wise.

in other words, we give our 1st and 3rd to move up to get Seattle's 1st round choice.

essentially the same deal that got us holmes. i guess drafting 32 that year , we needed a little more in points and also gave a 6th rounder up

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2011, 04:43 PM

essentially the same deal that got us holmes. i guess drafting 32 that year , we needed a little more in points and also gave a 6th rounder up

Actually, we gave up our 3rd and 4th to move up from 32 to 25 to get Holmes in 2006.

We gave up a 3rd and a 6th to move up from 27 to 16 to get Troy Polamalu in 2003.

NJ-STEELER
03-01-2011, 05:14 PM
thx

confused the 2

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2011, 05:24 PM

guess Jimmy Smith is going to get drafted by the Bengals, seems like a perfect fit...

phillyesq
03-02-2011, 08:05 PM

guess Jimmy Smith is going to get drafted by the Bengals, seems like a perfect fit...

Before or after they draft Ryan Mallet?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-03-2011, 04:36 PM
I think Ruth nailed it. Matt Birk will be 35 by the start of the season. Pouncey has expressed he wants to play C. The competition between the Pouncey twins is a friendly "heated" battle. Steelers & Ravens just love each other. Does anyone else see a better way to add some heat to a rivalry that seems cold, dead, & non-existent??? I can see ESPN's segue into the "Heated Rivals" theme opening up the first Steelers - Ravens game in 2011. A Pouncey standing in the mirror where it looks like he sees his reflection...The camera pans back and one is wearing a Steelers uniform & the other a Ravens. OH GOD...My tradeup theory just became more relivant with the added urgency of keeping P2 away from the Ratbirds.

For those of you that take things to seriously...That was called humor. Suggesting trading up for P2 is about getting P2 and not keeping another team away from him.

1 (TU W/1 & 3) M Pouncey G
2 (TO F/ 3* & 4*)
3* Lawrence Guy DE
4* Buster Skrine CB
4 Cortez Allen CB
5 Jah Reid OT
6 Chris Neild NT
7 Da'Norris Searcy S

grotonsteel
03-03-2011, 06:24 PM

Before or after they draft Ryan Mallet?

:lol: