PDA

View Full Version : Hines is "Dancing with the Stars"

SteelBucks
02-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Source: Hines Ward to be apart of Season 12 "Dancing with the Stars
2:17pm - Sun, Feb 27th, 2011 by DePaoli

With the lockout looming, word is Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward is taking his talents to the dance floor, close associates of Wards tell Inside Pittsburgh Sports.com.
Ward I'm told is en route to Los Angeles today and will be apart of the Season 12 "Dancing with the Stars" cast. The entire season 12 cast will be announced on Monday in Los Angeles.
The "Dancing with the Stars" season 12 will premiere Monday, March 21, 2011 at 8 p.m on ABC.
Chad O'chocinco, Jason Taylor and Emmitt Smith are among former NFL stars to participate in Dancing with the Stars.

Scarletfire1970
02-27-2011, 08:59 PM
He can't dance. This should be good. I've never watched that show, but I guess I will have to now

Crash
02-27-2011, 09:20 PM
"I only have one ACL and I was on Dancing with the Stars!"

Sugar
02-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Discipline of Steel
02-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Why is it always the wide receivers that flake?

MeetJoeGreene
02-27-2011, 10:07 PM
i hope he doesn't cry if he gets booted early.

hawaiiansteel
02-27-2011, 10:44 PM
i hope he doesn't cry if he gets booted early.

whadda ya mean I only got a 6 for that Tango?

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2009/12/hines-ward-crying.gif

NJ-STEELER
02-27-2011, 10:52 PM
he should start with that mock of ocho's riverdance he gave a few years ago

NC Steeler Fan
02-28-2011, 11:29 AM
OMG, I think this is great! :lol:

I am a huge fan of Dancing with the Stars. And, if you give it half a chance, you'll
find it's not quite as hokey as some of you may think.

Sure, they may have some "campy" moments, but if you ever watch the show long
enough to see how some of these folks progress with their lessons you realize
it's a whole lot of hard work and many just flat out crack under the pressure.

I have a lot of respect for the ones who have no dancing or choreography in their
background and yet who listen to their instructors and find out they are capable of
so much more than they thought. (It's the Kristi Yamaguchi's that should NOT be on
that show that really pisc me off.)

When Emmitt Smith won it, you could really see how hard he listened to the critiques
from the judges and how hard he paid attention to his instructor. He really looked
good. Chad Ochocinco played around too much, but even he had his humbler moments.
Jason Taylor was great too except he looked like a 747 out on the dance floor.

I think Hines, with his underdog attitude, will do just fine.

And, I can hardly wait to see him in those skin tight, bare chested outfits they put some of the guys in for the Latin dances like the Paso Doble. Ooooh baby! :Boobs :lol:

(Sorry Pap, couldn't resist! :wink: )

feltdizz
02-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Dancing with the Stars is suspect... the outfits aren't a good look but with a lockout looming it makes sense for Hines and other players to do whatever they can to keep their name out their and make some money while they are at it.

Is Hines a distraction now?

Will he throw Ben under the bus?

Will Ben be in the audience?

:stirpot

Crash
02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Can you imagine if he wins?

I have one ACL, and nobody gave me a chance, and I won!

hawaiiansteel
02-28-2011, 03:40 PM
(It's the Kristi Yamaguchi's that should NOT be on
that show that really pisc me off.)

I didn't think Jennifer Grey was fair either, if you watch her in the movie Dirty Dancing you can see she has had prior dancing experience.

http://www.thecheapgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/dirty-dancing-patrick-swayze-jennifer-gray.jpg

Crash
02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
See? Mark Madden gets it.

DANCE TO THE MUSIC
Monday 02-28-2011 2:55pm ET

How would Hines Ward react if a teammate followed a subpar season by appearing on "Dancing With the Stars"? Ward would go CRAZY, right?

So...how am I supposed to react if Ward, as rumored, participates on "Dancing With the Stars"? Ward had just 59 catches this past campaign, his low since 2000. Shouldn't I be OUTRAGED? Shouldn't FOCUS be an issue? PREPARATION? The Steelers LOST the Super Bowl. Ward's stats FADED. FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL!

Actually, I hope Ward does it. It's fun. I'm looking forward to Hines sashaying around the dance floor.

Maybe he can re-learn how to get open. WHAMMY!

feltdizz
02-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Football players must play football at all times...

Ben and the OL should have never done WWE... it ruined our teams focus.

Crash
02-28-2011, 04:57 PM

You missed Madden's point. His point is Hines lives by his own rules and calls out others.

Btw, the Steelers won four straight after Ben hosted RAW.

hawaiiansteel
02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Mark Madden is an attention whore who has feuded with Hines Ward in the past...this was just another chance for Madden to get in another cheap shot.
ever since Madden suggested the Steelers should sign Pacman Jones I have stopped listening to him. :wft

Crash
02-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Mark Madden is an attention whore who has feuded with Hines Ward in the past.

And Hines fueds with everybody. Ben, ownership, Cowher, butted heads with Randy Fichtner when he was his WR coach, etc.

If Ward's going to call people out? He needs to practice what he preaches.

ScoreKeeper
02-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Mark Madden is an attention whore who has feuded with Hines Ward in the past...this was just another chance for Madden to get in another cheap shot.
ever since Madden suggested the Steelers should sign Pacman Jones I have stopped listening to him. :wft
He needs to take his act back to wrestling. The guy spews crap to get ratings.

eniparadoxgma
02-28-2011, 09:03 PM

You missed Madden's point. His point is Hines lives by his own rules and calls out others.

Btw, the Steelers won four straight after Ben hosted RAW.

Wow. Just wow. Do you really not see that Madden was (gasp) joking? And since when did his opinion matter on anything? Talk about grasping at straws. (zzzzzzzz)

Crash
02-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Do you really not see that Madden was (gasp) joking?

He's not joking one bit, about what Hines may have said about another teammate doing it coming off a bad season. Not at all.

Because thats what Hines does. Always has.

Blockhead
02-28-2011, 09:19 PM
This could actually help Hines improve his football. His footwork, balance and added flexibility could actually make his legs stronger and thus help his speed and agility.

eniparadoxgma
02-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Do you really not see that Madden was (gasp) joking?

He's not joking one bit, about what Hines may have said about another teammate doing it coming off a bad season. Not at all.

Because thats what Hines does. Always has.

Really?

This:

So...how am I supposed to react if Ward, as rumored, participates on "Dancing With the Stars"? Ward had just 59 catches this past campaign, his low since 2000. Shouldn't I be OUTRAGED? Shouldn't FOCUS be an issue? PREPARATION? The Steelers LOST the Super Bowl. Ward's stats FADED. FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL!

Actually, I hope Ward does it. It's fun. I'm looking forward to Hines sashaying around the dance floor.

Maybe he can re-learn how to get open. WHAMMY!

...is what you consider serious reporting? No joking going on here? Seriously? :)

Crash
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
I noticed you skipped this part of Madden's piece.

It's OK, we both know why.

DANCE TO THE MUSIC

How would Hines Ward react if a teammate followed a subpar season by appearing on "Dancing With the Stars"? Ward would go CRAZY, right?

THAT, is where he's not joking, because Ward is a jackass who doesn't think before he speaks.

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Lynn Swann's going to go all Natalie Portman "Black Swan(n)" on Hines Ward's dancing @$$.

I'm the only dancing Steeler wideout, bee-yotch!!! :lol:

eniparadoxgma
02-28-2011, 10:01 PM
I noticed you skipped this part of Madden's piece.

It's OK, we both know why.

DANCE TO THE MUSIC

THAT, is where he's not joking, because Ward is a jackass who doesn't think before he speaks.

Seriously? If you can't fathom the fact that the whole thing is meant in humor then there really is no helping you.

I didn't repost that part because that's the only part you gave any credence to. It's a classic tactic: Cherry picking. Your myopia has blinded you so badly that it's a running gag to the majority of posters as far as I can tell. You've become a caricature of yourself.

So...your point now...just to make sure...is that Madden, who most literate fans already dismiss as a shock jock with no substance, made a "serious" point about Ward's character initially, and then filled the rest of the above "piece" (and I use that term lightly) with obvious humor? And this is what you claim as proof that Madden "gets it"...which of course means agrees with your point of view...

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5864/brilliantmedium.jpg (http://img37.imageshack.us/i/brilliantmedium.jpg/)

Brilliant!!!

Good luck with your myopic crusades. :Cheers

Crash
02-28-2011, 10:18 PM
The humor part of the piece is MMs opinion on the show and Ward's being there.

He's not joking one bit, about how Ward would react if a teammate would do the same thing after a sub par season. He's basically mocking Ward's assclown behavior over the years in the press with his comments towards teammates.

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2011, 01:41 AM
'Dancing With the Stars' bad idea for Ward?

February, 28, 2011
By James Walker

First it was AFC North receiver Chad Ochocinco who participated on "Dancing With The Stars." Now it's Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward.

The former Super Bowl MVP continued the trend of having current and former NFL players on the show. He adds to the list of NFL DWTS alumni which includes Ochocinco, Jason Taylor, Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith.

Is this a good idea for Ward? I have some concerns.

Similar to Ochocinco, participating on the spring reality show will take time away from Ward's offseason schedule. Ochocinco had two reality television shows last year, missed all voluntary workouts and had a down year, catching just 67 passes for 831 yards and four touchdowns.

Ward will turn 35 on March 8 and his numbers were also down last season. He caught 59 passes for 755 yards and five touchdowns for the reigning AFC champions.

With a pending lockout, maybe none of this will matter. If a new collective bargaining agreement isn't reached soon, which is very possible, there will be no offseason workout program for teams anyway. Maybe that factored into Ward's thinking, and he decided to take advantage of the spotlight and the opportunity.

But the idea of Ward dancing in Hollywood this spring seems to be an un-Steeler-like move, especially with Pittsburgh coming off a tough loss in Super Bowl XLV and trying to stay focused next season in order to get back to the big game.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

Scarletfire1970
03-01-2011, 06:22 AM
If he wants to be on Dancing with the Stars, let him be on Dancing with the Stars. No amount of Ward's dancing is going to fix our secondary.

NC Steeler Fan
03-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Dammit all to hell.

I swear some of you people could f*ck up a wet dream. :roll:

Lighten up and have fun with this, will ya?

Hines is going to be sweating and working his asc off for 6 to 8 hours a day. If he
goes deep into the season, he'll be lean and strong and his endurance and mental
focus under pressure will be sharpened in ways he can't fathom yet.

Hell, look at Kelly Osborne. She was the poster child for getting your asc in shape on
a show like this. They all get better physically during the course of their run
in this contest just from the constant exercise and moving.

That pig Madden should be so lucky...

We just need to do our part and no matter how many left feet Hines may have
we need to keep voting to keep him on the show! :D

feltdizz
03-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Dammit all to hell.

I swear some of you people could f*ck up a wet dream. :roll:

Lighten up and have fun with this, will ya?

Hines is going to be sweating and working his asc off for 6 to 8 hours a day. If he
goes deep into the season, he'll be lean and strong and his endurance and mental
focus under pressure will be sharpened in ways he can't fathom yet.

Hell, look at Kelly Osborne. She was the poster child for getting your asc in shape on
a show like this. They all get better physically during the course of their run
in this contest just from the constant exercise and moving.

That pig Madden should be so lucky...

We just need to do our part and no matter how many left feet Hines may have
we need to keep voting to keep him on the show! :D

Kelley Osborne is on PED's... :stirpot

f%ck up a wet dream? LOL...

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2011, 10:12 AM
I swear some of you people could f*ck up a wet dream.

Isn't that the point of a wet dream? :wink: :lol:

NC Steeler Fan
03-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Here is Hines interview this morning on ABC News "Good Morning America". It sounds like he's ready to have fun and looking forward to competing!

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Entertainment ... n-13027251 (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Entertainment/video/hines-ward-dwts-selection-13027251)

flippy
03-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Couple thoughts:

1. Did yinz hear folks calling out this season of DWTS for having no real stars on the cast? Ouch for Hines.

2. Rumor has it that Mendy is gonna help Hines with his spin move.

3. This will be good for Hines to get exposure beyond football as his career is winding down.

4. Hopefully Steelers will show up every week to support him. I'm planning to watch this show now.

5. How bout Kym Johnson? Chadman should be happy Hines is getting a gal from Down Under. From the shows I've seen, Kym seems to be the genuinely nicest person on the show. And she's the only dancer to win DWTS in 2 different countries. So hopefully Hines doesn't F it up. He already seems to have a chip on his shoulder for Sugar Ray.

http://hotcelebrity.name/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/kymjohnson.jpg

Crash
03-01-2011, 06:57 PM
And if Ben was doing this one month after knee surgery Hines Ward would throw a fit.

flippy
03-01-2011, 07:12 PM
And if Ben was doing this one month after knee surgery Hines Ward would throw a fit.

DWTS should have tried to get Antonio Bryant instead of Hines :P

eniparadoxgma
03-01-2011, 07:19 PM

DWTS should have tried to get Antonio Bryant instead of Hines :P

Bwahahahaha

:tt2 :Clap :Bow :Cheers

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2011, 08:40 PM
maybe Hines can hook up with Kendra and/or Cheryl, they both like NFL WRs...

http://en.terra.com/addon/img/600f94b9-kendra05p.jpghttp://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/files/2010/04/Chad-Ochocinco-and-Cheryl2.jpg

Flasteel
03-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Couple thoughts:

1. Did yinz hear folks calling out this season of DWTS for having no real stars on the cast? Ouch for Hines.

3. This will be good for Hines to get exposure beyond football as his career is winding down.

4. Hopefully Steelers will show up every week to support him. I'm planning to watch this show now.

5. How bout Kym Johnson? Chadman should be happy Hines is getting a gal from Down Under. From the shows I've seen, Kym seems to be the genuinely nicest person on the show. And she's the only dancer to win DWTS in 2 different countries. So hopefully Hines doesn't F it up. He already seems to have a chip on his shoulder for Sugar Ray.

1. You know of several rumors which surround this show
2. You use the acronymn DWTS
3. You know people from the show and are able to evaluate their personality in comparison to others
4. You know trivia from this show

Conclusion?
You don't need Hines Ward's appearance to tune in! :D :D

Seriously, this show is pretty friggin' ghey in my opinion. More power to those of you who like it, but I'd rather not see any member of the Pittsburgh Steelers associated with it.

Speaking of ghey...What happened to all of the emoticons? I can't even use the ones I want because of that halo around them.

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2011, 02:09 AM
Steelers' Ward to put moves on display for new audience

By Kevin Gorman, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Hines Ward might be counting on Steelers Nation to propel the Super Bowl XL Most Valuable Player to win ABC’s Dancing With The Stars, the popular, viewer-driven ballroom dance reality show.

What Ward shouldn’t count on are his teammates’ votes.

"He is probably the worst dancer on the show," linebacker James Farrior cracked. "I give him two weeks because of his popularity. I wish him all the best. That is all he has — personality. That is the only chance he has. Be nice and give them the old Hines Ward smile."

That smile attracted the attention of Dancing With The Stars senior producer and head of casting Deena Katz, who believes the Steelers’ career receiving leader could win the Mirror Ball Trophy as DWTS champion.

"I see Hines going real far," Katz said. "That smile alone could get him to the finals."

Katz initially was reluctant to cast another NFL player among the celebrities, but changed her tune once she learned that the four-time Pro Bowl pick was a "huge fan" of the show and willing to be a celebrity contestant.

"Once I met him, there's not a chance in the world you can’t have Hines on the show," Katz said. "He is so charming. That smile he has can light up a room. There's a twinkle in his eyes. That smile, even when he's standing on the sidelines, he's the one guy you want to embrace. I have a feeling he is going to be that one crossover star with men and women. I was hoping they would win the Super Bowl, but that didn’t make a difference."

Ward, who will be 35 by the show’s Season 12 premieres March 21, is trying to become the first active NFL player to win the popular reality show. Hall of Fame running back Emmitt Smith won Season 3, and Hall of Fame wide receiver Jerry Rice and former Woodland Hills star Jason Taylor, a defensive end with the New York Jets, also were finalists.

Ward's appearance on the show could come amid NFL labor strife. The league's owners are expected to lock out the players from off-season activities after midnight on Thursday. The series finale is May 24.

"If they’re going to lock us out, you've got to stay active. That’s one way of doing it," said Steelers right tackle Willie Colon, who was surprised to learn of Ward being cast as a celebrity contestant. "I think it's funny."

Ward said he hopes to survive the early cuts in a cast that includes actors Kirstie Alley and Ralph Macchio, WWE wrestler Chris Jericho, former world welterweight champion boxer Sugar Ray Leonard and rapper Romeo.

"I’m looking forward to it," Ward said Monday night during ABC’s Dancing With The Stars new cast reveal special. "A lot of our fears up here, we don't want to be eliminated first. For us, we want to compete hard."

Ward said he is recovering from "minor" knee surgery three weeks ago, and used his charm to gain sympathy for the Steelers’ 31-25 loss to Green Bay in Super Bowl XLV Feb. 6 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

"With us coming off a devastating loss in the Super Bowl against the Packers, the season was long," Ward said, drawing an "awww" from the ABC studio audience. "It was just a light scope, but I'll be fine."

Ward could not be reached Tuesday, and the Steelers declined comment. Katz said Ward's knee injury was "a big discussion with his dance partner," which will be announced today on Good Morning America. (TMZ.com has reported that Ward will be paired with Australian Kym Johnson). Contestants train three-to-four hours per day five days a week, Katz said.

"They'll do dance steps that won't hurt the knee as much," Katz said. "There have only been two rehearsals so far, but he can move. He's got the best feet in the NFL, doesn’t he? When it gets to the end of the competition and gets really intense he'll have to do more, but that’s 12 weeks away."

Katz said she first spoke to Ward in November about becoming a celebrity contestant, including a conversation with his camp 10 minutes after the Super Bowl to confirm his interest. Katz believes Ward's notoriety — he has gained a reputation as one of the NFL’s dirtiest players because of his crack-back blocks, but also has become an outspoken advocate for mixed-race Korean children like himself — will attract viewers to DWTS.

"That's part of the fun," Katz said. "You've got that big fan base and those people get behind you. The Steelers are a team the whole nation loves or loves to hate. It makes for great television, for people talking about the show and it helps with the buzz. Even if you are not a Steelers fan, to have a current guy with a marquee name like Hines Ward has, you're still going to root for him. People are going to say, 'Oh, my God. I want to see Hines.'"

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1FPqHruvt (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_725311.html#ixzz1FPqHruvt)

flippy
03-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Couple thoughts:

3. You know people from the show and are able to evaluate their personality in comparison to others

Conclusion?

Seriously, this show is pretty friggin' ghey in my opinion. More power to those of you who like it, but I'd rather not see any member of the Pittsburgh Steelers associated with it.

Speaking of ghey...What happened to all of the emoticons? I can't even use the ones I want because of that halo around them.

I'm an old married dude. So I see and hear about lots of shows targeted toward the ladies. I even know all about the Bachelor too. And Jersey Shore.

But at least my wife isn't into Lifetime Movies. That might push me over the edge.

NC Steeler Fan
03-02-2011, 01:44 PM
For those you guys who have never seen the show, just wait
until you see the VERY skimpy outfits they put those smokin' hot
female dance instructors in....my buddy in da burgh watches the
show just for that reason! :lol:

You will be completely jealous of Hines once you see him gyrate with
his partner and hold his instructor's body up close during some very
sexy moves!

Um, not that the women do anything for me mind you...I'm just
watchin' the guys! :Boobs :wink:

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
I wonder if Kendra Wilkinson's first dance will be the "Pole-Dance"...

http://www.fitceleb.com/files/images/kendra-wilkinson-sports-pole-lesson-0602097-429x647.jpg

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Hines' dance partner will be Kym Johnson:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201103/20110302getty_kym_johnson_005_330.jpg

Flasteel
03-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Couple thoughts:

Conclusion?

I'm an old married dude. So I see and hear about lots of shows targeted toward the ladies. I even know all about the Bachelor too. And Jersey Shore.

But at least my wife isn't into Lifetime Movies. That might push me over the edge.

:D

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2011, 12:42 PM
When reading about the other contestants, I'm not sure which surprised me more:

The fact that Ralph Macchio is 49 years old...

Or the fact that Kirstie Alley is 60 years old.

flippy
03-07-2011, 02:28 PM
When reading about the other contestants, I'm not sure which surprised me more:

The fact that Ralph Macchio is 49 years old...

Or the fact that Kirstie Alley is 60 years old.

You gotta stop watching the Karate Kid and Cheers reruns so often.

Personally I'm hoping for a Daniel Laruso dance to "You're the Best", but I know it's more likely he'll be waltzing to Peter Cetera's Glory of Love with clips of Mr Myagi in the background the way Jennifer Grey played up Patrick Swayze's death.

[youtube:1dtdejht]XWHOF_0-6Hg[/youtube:1dtdejht]

Kirstie will probably do a fox trot to "Everybody Knows Your Name" with a montage to Coach from Cheers. Although she probably wasn't even on the show with him at the same time. But they'll make it sad somehow.

BTW, Sugar Ray has both of those 2 beat in my book. He looks 20-30 but he's really 55. I kinda expect him to come out of retirement to box again after he gets back in shape from DWTS.

RuthlessBurgher
03-08-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm just depressed that Daniel-san is now a "Karate Old Fart" and certainly can't be referred to as a "Ute" by Joe Pesci anymore (Chris Kemoeatu and Stevenson Sylvester are our two Utes :mrgreen: ).

Didn't Rebecca Howe always go crazy when they played Righteous Brothers music on Cheers?

NC Steeler Fan
03-08-2011, 03:46 PM
I am hoping that Hines does the Paso Doble to the
MNF theme!

I think it was Jason Taylor who danced to the MNF theme
when he was on there.

Either way, you know they'll work football props or uniforms
into one of Hines' dance numbers somehow. If it's not one
of the standard ballroom or latin dances, maybe they'll do
it for the Freestyle episode.

When Cheryl Burke and Nick Lachey (sp?) did their Freestyle
to "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy" that went down as a classic
and I believe was voted #1 viewer choice of favorite dance of
all time on that show.

Either way, we all need to vote, vote and vote again for Hines.

If Cloris Leachman could last MUCH longer than anyone ever
should on that show, I know Steeler Nation can keep Hines on
longer than his dance talents may allow otherwise. I think he's
going to be a crowd favorite even in the non-football audience.

RuthlessBurgher
03-08-2011, 04:12 PM
I've yet to see a single episode of "Dancing with the Stars" but I know that Cloris Leachman killed at the Roast of Bob Saget.

"I'm not here to roast Bob Saget. I'm here to #&@% John Stamos!"

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2011, 04:51 PM
shouldn't Hines be having the surgery now in order to give the thumb as much time as possible to heal?

MEDICAL WATCH

WR Hines Ward has put off surgery to repair a dislocated thumb until after his competition on Dancing With the Stars.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/repo ... side-slant (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/report/PIT/14796288/steelers-report-inside-slant)

Crash
03-11-2011, 05:01 PM
So he delayed surgery on a thumb, after already deciding to dance less than a month later on a surgically repaired knee?

Good to see #86 having his priorities straight.

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Kym Johnson’s ‘DWTS’ Diary: Practicing for the Big Premiere With Hines!

March 14th, 2011 4:49 pm / Author: OK! Staff

http://cdn03.okcdn.okmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/hines_kym_2_March14-300x222.jpg

Hi, everyone, and welcome to my OK! blog! Every week, I’ll be sharing with you all the behind the scenes stories as I train NFL wide receiver Hines Ward for this season’s Dancing With the Stars, trying to make the Pittsburgh Steelers pro look as cool in the ballroom as he does on football field for season 12!

This season, I’m dancing with Hines Ward (check us out at the Lakers game!). I didn’t really know how good he was! He’s incredible, I really like having an athlete for a partner. He’s an incredible athlete. He’s really intelligent, quick at picking up all the steps and choreography. Footwork is amazing, I’m sure that comes from football, he never has danced before but he gets up early for practicing, and is just perfect partner to have.

One weakness of his is that if we do the dance too many times, he starts over-analyzing things, but that’s the athlete in him. It’s great that he’s so concerned about what he’s doing. He’s very visual, and is good at correcting his mistakes. corrects mistakes.

Even though Hines is not a small guy, he’s so graceful, and a natural rhythm — and he has this amazing smile! As long as he smiles while he’s out there, he’ll be fine. He’s got the happy football player thing going on. He’s easy to teach, and he looks natural, when he’s out there he can enjoy it. Since the show starts next week, it’s a lot of practice. We have one day off a week. Five hours a day. He didn’t expect it to be so hard — he said it didn’t look as difficult from what he saw on TV! He’s already got a good grasp on faster dances like Foxtrot and the quickstep, and a natural rhythm for the jive and ChaCha.

It’s too early to tell right now who our biggest competition will be, we haven’t seen or heard of how anyone else is doing, but we’re happy with how he’s doing, you never know. I’m sure Chris Jericho could be good because he’s a wrestler and kind of independent in what he does.

I’m having fun going out with Hines in Atlanta, people have been showing us around and taking us to great restaurants, it’s not what you’d expect and it’s been a really fun time. We’ve had fun going to big Atlanta shopping malls and having a little bit of down time.

It was Hines’ birthday as well, so I made him rehearse on his birthday! But I felt kinda mean about it so I made him some cupcakes — for after we danced, of course! I didn’t know what to get him cause he’s got everything! So I ended up buying him gold cuff links to remind him of what the goal is. They could be like a good luck charm.

I think he’ll be wearing them during the first dance!

Until next week — and tune in on Monday, March 21 for the premiere!

Kym

http://www.okmagazine.com/2011/03/kym-j ... ith-hines/ (http://www.okmagazine.com/2011/03/kym-johnsons-dwts-diary-practicing-for-the-big-premiere-with-hines/)

flippy
03-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Is Hines dating her now?

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Is Hines dating her now?

They are doing the vertical mambo, not the horizontal mambo. :lol:

NC Steeler Fan
03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Is Hines dating her now?

Most of the "stars" and their instructors go out and attend
a lot of promotional activities for the show and just get out
in public together to do fun things that you'll see clips of later
during the season.

And, after enduring weeks of training in the 'dance' world of their instructors,
and feeling wholly inadequate at times, many of the stars can't wait to
take their instructors to their "world" to show them what their professional
life is like too.

I remember Emmitt Smith took Cheryl Burke to a Dallas game and
down on the field to get accustomed to what the 'office' was like for
a professional football player.

On the flip side, sometimes the instructors will take their star out to
something like a latin dance club so they can get more in tune with
that style of dance when it comes up in the show for them.

And, often they'll just show clips of the instructors and their partners
out in public hamming it up for votes. It's all just a way to get to know
some of these people outside of their public persona too.

There have been a few off camera flings though...so who knows?

flippy
03-15-2011, 07:20 PM
That article made it sound like she's his gf.

I think it was the shopping thing that made me think it. Men don't shop. There's an ulterior motive at play.

hawaiiansteel
03-16-2011, 02:05 AM
Hines Ward: Racism towards Asians isn't new

Tue, Mar 15
by Lynn Hoppes

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, who was born in South Korea to a Korean mother and an African-American father, isn't surprised that racism toward the Asian community still exists.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0315/pg2_g_hwardts_200.jpg

Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images
Hines Ward of the Pittsburgh Steelers and his mother, Kim Young-Hee, at a function in Seoul, South Korea.

"I've been dealing with this my whole life. I still remember being called the Jackie Chan of football," Ward said from his home in Atlanta. "I can't believe people today still want to say negative things about another race. People need to be more sensitive."

The list of people taking negative shots toward the victims of the recent Japanese earthquake and tsunami is unfortunately growing.

Conservative commentator Glenn Beck rationalized that the national disaster was God's work, saying, "I'll tell you this … there's a message being sent." Cappie Pondexter of the WNBA's New York Liberty agreed, tweeting and later apologizing for saying, "What if God was tired of the way they treated their own people in there own country! Idk guys he makes no mistakes." And comedian Gilbert Gottfried was fired Monday as the voice of the Aflac duck after tweeting, "Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach. The beach comes to them."

Ward just shakes his head thinking about the devasation and how the tragedy has affected so many lives.

"Imagine if those people had said the same thing about Haitians or African-Americans? All hell would break loose," Ward said. "But when it comes to the Asian community, it's easy to crack jokes because no one is coming out of the woodwork to defend those people."

Ward, who was appointed by President Obama to his Advisory Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, said people should think before speaking.

"I'm not going to be the next Martin Luther King and say what's right and what's wrong. Am I OK with it? No. There are just some things I can't control," Ward said. "I was just taught that you should treat someone like you want to be treated. I wish they would think about it if the shoe were on the other foot."

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6220265

flippy
03-16-2011, 07:12 AM
Hines should be proud of the Asians. They have dealt with this situation with more dignity and resolve than I have ever seen from a group of people.

In New Orleans, we saw looting and danger in the streets post tragedy. American tragedies have more knuckleheads than anywhere else on the planet.

But in Japan, the people wait patiently. And they show amazing poise and respect for one another.

This is truly a model society that we should all strive to be more like.

The great thing about Hines' comments, is he's put a big chip on his shoulder prior to even a dancing competition. Sugar Ray and Danielsan better watch out. I now have a feeling Hines will do a crane kick in one of his routines to upstage Ralph Machichachio.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2011, 09:39 AM
I now have a feeling Hines will do a crane kick in one of his routines to upstage Ralph Machichachio.

Flippy needs to be more sensitive to the plight of childhood stars from the 80's. :wink:

feltdizz
03-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Hines Ward: Racism towards Asians isn't new

Tue, Mar 15
by Lynn Hoppes

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, who was born in South Korea to a Korean mother and an African-American father, isn't surprised that racism toward the Asian community still exists.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0315/pg2_g_hwardts_200.jpg

Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images
Hines Ward of the Pittsburgh Steelers and his mother, Kim Young-Hee, at a function in Seoul, South Korea.

"I've been dealing with this my whole life. I still remember being called the Jackie Chan of football," Ward said from his home in Atlanta. "I can't believe people today still want to say negative things about another race. People need to be more sensitive."

The list of people taking negative shots toward the victims of the recent Japanese earthquake and tsunami is unfortunately growing.

Conservative commentator Glenn Beck rationalized that the national disaster was God's work, saying, "I'll tell you this … there's a message being sent." Cappie Pondexter of the WNBA's New York Liberty agreed, tweeting and later apologizing for saying, "What if God was tired of the way they treated their own people in there own country! Idk guys he makes no mistakes." And comedian Gilbert Gottfried was fired Monday as the voice of the Aflac duck after tweeting, "Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach. The beach comes to them."

Ward just shakes his head thinking about the devasation and how the tragedy has affected so many lives.

"Imagine if those people had said the same thing about Haitians or African-Americans? All hell would break loose," Ward said. "But when it comes to the Asian community, it's easy to crack jokes because no one is coming out of the woodwork to defend those people."

Ward, who was appointed by President Obama to his Advisory Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, said people should think before speaking.

"I'm not going to be the next Martin Luther King and say what's right and what's wrong. Am I OK with it? No. There are just some things I can't control," Ward said. "I was just taught that you should treat someone like you want to be treated. I wish they would think about it if the shoe were on the other foot."

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6220265

I heard a talk radio guy saying it was too soon to joke about the Japan tsunami but said in time the jokes will be OK because we need humor to move on. Then he says 9/11 is still sensitive and he feels it should never be joked. He was honest in saying it was hypocritical but still...

:wft

I think people are so desperate for attention they will say anything. One thing I really hate is when people try to tell you what God's intentions are.

flippy
03-16-2011, 10:59 AM
I heard a talk radio guy saying it was too soon to joke about the Japan tsunami but said in time the jokes will be OK because we need humor to move on. Then he says 9/11 is still sensitive and he feels it should never be joked. He was honest in saying it was hypocritical but still...

:wft

I think people are so desperate for attention they will say anything. One thing I really hate is when people try to tell you what God's intentions are.

Gilbert Godfried was joking about 9/11 the week it happened. I really don't have a problem with people using humor in uncomfortable situations. That's what comedians do. I thought Gilbert's jokes were relatively tame by his standards.

The tweet I saw that dropped my jaw was from one of the Family Guy writers: "If you wanna feel better about this earthquake in Japan, google 'Pearl Harbor death toll.'"

I've been watching lots of footage and the videos just don't seem real to me. I know they are, but the tragedy is ridiculous to the point of it seeming almost movie or cartoon like. So I can understand the source of where these jokes come from.

Not that they are tasteful. But when do comedians have taste? They usually try to shock us with honesty and saying things others would never consider saying.

But at the same time, I don't think making comments makes these people monsters. Or heartless. I suspect they detach the situation from reality in their minds and aren't considering the real death and sadness of the situation.

On the other hand, many of these folks probably hope people are laughing and smiling when they die. WHen I've considered my own death, I hope people laugh at it and at me rather than feeling sadness.