PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Drafting 31st not a concern

hawaiiansteel
02-27-2011, 03:23 AM
On the Steelers: Drafting 31st not a concern

Sunday, February 27, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers select 31st in the NFL draft, but there's no reason to believe that will be a detriment to them selecting a good or even great player on the first round.

Kevin Colbert came to the Steelers in 2000 and has never missed with the first pick.

Starting in 2000, they include Plaxico Burress, Casey Hampton, Kendall Simmons, Troy Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, Santonio Holmes, Lawrence Timmons, Rashard Mendenhall, Ziggy Hood and Maurkice Pouncey. All except Holmes spent his entire career with the team or stayed through his rookie contract of five years. All became at least good starters, if you include Hood. Five made Pro Bowls and a sixth was a Super Bowl MVP. All but three remain with the team and, of those, Holmes was traded and Simmons was at the end of the line with injuries and diabetes.

It is rare for a team to hit on 11 consecutive first-rounders, especially when they are drafting late. But they nabbed Simmons and Miller with the 30th pick, Hood with the 32nd, Mendenhall at No. 23 and Pouncey and Hampton at No. 19. They were picking No. 27 in 2003 when they made a trade to move to No. 16, where they grabbed Polamalu. They were drafting 32nd in 2006 when they traded up to 25 and took Holmes.

So, nearly anything is within reach if the Steelers want to do it on the first round in April. Many good draft observers believe the top three cornerbacks will be long gone and there is not a fourth worthy of the 31st pick, but the Steelers could make a move into the teens if they want one that badly -- and they should want one that badly. Even if they re-sign Ike Taylor, they need another good cornerback. Some teams have three; the Steelers have one. Plus, their No. 3 cornerback, William Gay, also can become an unrestricted free agent.

Colbert has not selected a cornerback in the first round in his 11 drafts. The Steelers most recent first-round cornerback was Chad Scott in 1997.

The ideal example of why drafting late in each round should be no impediment to a good draft came in 1974 when the Steelers had the greatest draft in NFL history and were drafting in the 21st position of what was then a 26-team league. They drafted Hall of Famers with each of their first four picks -- Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth and Mike Webster -- and they did not have a third-round pick, having traded it.

The draft is different now because more information is available and much of it is through group testing such as the combine and the individual workouts. The only things not shared are individual interviews with the players and a team's collective opinion of them.

Don't forget those important offensive tackles

Everyone knows the Steelers need help at cornerback, but what seems to be getting overlooked is their desperation at offensive tackle. Maybe Max Starks will return to his level of play after having neck surgery. He's still in his prime and won't turn 30 until January. And maybe Flozell Adams will play as well at age 36 as he did at age 35.

But what if neither plays up to those levels? The Steelers have plenty of players who can fill in here and there at tackle, as Jonathan Scott did last season, but they have no one who looks like a permanent replacement unless Willie Colon re-signs.

Tackle should be almost as high on their draft priority list as is cornerback. They last drafted a tackle in any of the first three rounds six years ago when they picked Trai Essex, who is now mainly a guard. They picked Starks on the third round the previous year (2004). The only other tackle drafted on the first three rounds since Colbert arrived was Marvel Smith, taken in the second round in 2000.

That's a lot of ignoring one of the most important positions on offense. Many football people subscribe to the theory that if you were building a team from scratch, you'd start with a quarterback and your next player would be a left tackle.

Hall of Fame process needs an overhaul

The Pro Football Hall of Fame has been soliciting opinions from its 44 selectors, of which I am one, about various changes they would like to see.

One that seems popular is what they label "transparency" or making public how each voter votes. Those in favor believe that would make the voting more honest. How would that be? Someone who now votes in privacy likely is voting his conscience more than he or she will if their vote is made public.

Another idea is to separate the candidates into various categories -- all players in one, maybe coaches in another, contributors in another. Now they are all lumped together and compete against each other. So an Ed Sabol, founder of NFL Films, makes it and keeps a player such as Dermontti Dawson out. Nothing against Sabol, but there should be a different category for him.

Yet another idea proposed is to add voters to the current 44. I began voting after Myron Cope stepped down for the 1996 class and, while I cannot remember the exact count of voters, it was in the 30s then. The problem with having a small number of voters is that each vote carries more weight -- just nine votes, for example, can knock out a candidate. But there is another problem with expanding the board of selectors.

We always meet to debate the candidates and then vote on the day before the Super Bowl. That first meeting for me in 1996 took, I think, about four hours. We started at 8, and the announcement came at lunchtime. In Dallas, that meeting took 71/2 hours. Add more people, and we might have to start meeting Wednesday in order to finish in time for the big announcement on the NFL Network Saturday night.

I have two suggestions that would take care of some of these suggestions. Copy what the Baseball Hall of Fame does. They have more than 500 voters, but the ballot is handled through the mail -- no debates in a room for 71/2 hours while a voter next to you continually complains about the length of the meeting. Plus, you can then expand the voting list to any number you want.

And don't have those voters consider anyone other than players, as they do in baseball. The voters in baseball do not consider managers, umpires, owners or even old-timers. Let someone else pick those.

That's my solution -- 500 voters, mail ballot, only players. Somehow, the Baseball Hall of Fame thrives without holding meetings to discuss the process, as they did Thursday in Indianapolis, or meetings to vote. Just vote. If you don't know if a player should be in the Hall of Fame, you don't need the power of persuasion by a colleague in Nashville to convince you. Just do your homework.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11058/11 ... z1F8bFFOQj (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11058/1128137-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1F8bFFOQj)

SteelCrazy
02-27-2011, 11:29 AM
I only hope the magic continues, considering Colbert admitted to getting a late start.

papillon
02-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I only hope the magic continues, considering Colbert admitted to getting a late start.

Colbert may have started late, but I have to believe that the scouting department as a whole hasn't been on hiatus.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
02-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Team Report

USA Today - 2/26

Mike Tomlin won't admit that the Steelers need cornerbacks or offensive tackles more than anything else in this draft. What he will admit to is that he is looking for "pedigree."
"It means their God-given athletic ability," Tomlin said. "Their ability to control their body, their ability to move through awkward movements, the things that aren't necessarily football related but are athlete or pedigree related."

Pittsburgh has a great record of spotting those kinds of players in the first round of the draft. Since Kevin Colbert became their director of football operations in 2000, they have not missed on one, and during many of those years they were drafting at or near the bottom of the pile.

Here's the rundown: Plaxico Burress, Casey Hampton, Kendall Simmons, Troy Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, Santonio Holmes, Lawrence Timmons, Rashard Mendenhall, Ziggy Hood and Maurkice Pouncey. Of those 11, five made Pro Bowls and the others have been significant starters for them.

So there is no reason to believe that because they do not draft 31st they won't find another, and they might move up to get him as they did in 2003. They had the 27th overall pick that year but traded to jump to No. 16 and drafted Polamalu, the NFL defensive player of the year for 2010. Miller came with the 30th pick, Holmes with the 25th after a trade up from 32, and Hood with No. 32.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers" director of football operations, has long said that they do not draft strictly on "need" but consider it if values are close on a player. They are in near desperate mode, though, for cornerbacks, partly because they have swung and missed at that position for years.

"No question we're going to have an interest in corner," Tomlin said, "but I don't know that there's been a year that I've been here that I can't say that."

It becomes more precarious because Ike Taylor, their only good cornerback, will become a free agent. So too will William Gay, who was their No. 3 cornerback last season and started in 2009.

That would leave them with Bryant McFadden, Keenan Lewis and Crezdon Butler as their top three corners. Lewis has not been able to even dress much since he was drafted in the third round in 2009. Butler hardly played as a rookie.

"I don't view those guys any differently than I view any of the young guys that we have in other positions," Tomlin said of Lewis and Butler. "We expect those guys to improve, to be better players in 2011 and take the necessary steps to do so."

And what does the coach look for in a cornerback?

"It is a physically taxing position. You have to have a great deal of God-given ability and belief in that. Now how do you measure their belief in their ability" Not by what they say but by what you see on tape: how they play, how they respond to positive things, how they respond to negative things. All of that helps you build a profile if you will."

NOTES, QUOTES

—LB LaMarr Woodley has approved the franchise tag the Steelers placed on him. The Steelers will try to sign him to a multi-year contract once there is a new CBA. If the rules do not change and if they do not sign him to a multi-year contract, Woodley would receive a guaranteed salary of around $10 million in 2011.

—Coach Mike Tomlin is still searching for a secondary coach to replace Ray Horton, who left to become defensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals. He said he has not interviewed former Titans defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil, as was reported.

Said Tomlin, "I'm just still in the information gathering process. I'm in no hurry to be honest with you. I want to make sure that we hire the right man and that has no timetable."

—Tomlin said he would like OT Flozell Adams to play right tackle again in 2011, when he will be 36 years old.

"I think he did a nice job for us," Tomlin said. "He's a good teammate, he had a very productive year."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I haven't even begun to discuss the potential possibilities. I have a skeleton of a calendar and I'm in wait-and-see mode like everyone else." — Coach Mike Tomlin, on when he will start informal workouts and OTAs.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

OFFSEASON STRATEGY

The Steelers placed the franchise tag on LB LaMarr Woodley and he signed it within a few days.

That may be their only decision before March 4 because they are a team of patience and with no CBA it requires even more patience this year.

TEAM NEEDS

1. Cornerback: Ike Taylor can become a UFA but even if they re-sign him, they need at least one more good corner because they do not have another good corner and the good passing teams exploited that the past season, including Green Bay in the Super Bowl.

2. Offensive tackle: Their two starters both were hurt and had surgeries - Max Starks (neck) and Willie Colon (ruptured Achilles). If both return in good health, the need eases but there is no guarantee they will and Colon will be a UFA. Flozell Adams will turn 36 and he's due a $5 million salary. The others are not deemed competent fulltime starters.

3. Defensive line: Ziggy Hood, drafted in 2009, played well for injured Aaron Smith but the Steelers need to find another starter-in-waiting either for NT Casey Hampton, who will be 34 before the start of next season, or DE Brett Keisel, who will be 33.

4. Linebacker: LaMarr Woodley may leave as a UFA, which would leave his spot to rookie second-round pick Jason Worilds but they have no backups on the outside and James Harrison will be 33 in May. It's time to get another linebacker-in-waiting.

MEDICAL WATCH: LB James Harrison underwent back surgery that had been postponed because of a fever.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... /notes.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/notes.htm)

NJ-STEELER
02-27-2011, 02:40 PM
i wonder how long some of the other teams in the league have that long of a run of not drafting a CB in the first round

i think it shows

SteelStallion
02-27-2011, 05:50 PM
I agree with this article. It's imperative that they address their secondary if they want to be a contender rather than pretender.

PSU_dropout43
02-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Our marvelous head coach supposedly cut his teeth coaching the secondary so I am sure he will save the day. Clearly, our corners are improving and getting better under the fine eye of secondary genius. :roll:

Training wheels!

NJ-STEELER
02-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Our marvelous head coach supposedly cut his teeth coaching the secondary so I am sure he will save the day. Clearly, our corners are improving and getting better under the fine eye of secondary genius. :roll:

Training wheels!

you would think teams cowher coached would have great special teams units with that logic
:Cheers

hawaiiansteel
02-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Pittsburgh Steeler’s Have Excellent Track Record When Drafting Late

~ by Steel Hurtin on February 28, 2011.

In 2000, Kevin Colbert signed on as the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Director Of Football Operations, and in the 11 drafts since he was hired, he has not once missed on first round selection. All of his selections became starters on the team, and many of them have been bestowed with various NFL honors.

Colbert is the reason that Steelers’ fans never worry about the draft, and who the team will select, because they have learned to trust in the man calling the shots, there is little choice but to do so, when the man has a track record of success, after all.

Let’s take a look back at the selections made by Colbert since he started making the picks in Pittsburgh.

2000 NFL Draft: Plaxico Burress | WR | Michigan State | 8th Overall Selection

While Burress is currently sitting in a prison cell, during his five year career in Pittsburgh, he provided the offense with a perfect compliment to Hines Ward – a tall receiver with good hands, deadly in the red zone. Amassing over 4,000 receiving yards and 22 touchdowns in Pittsburgh. He started in eight of the 12 games that he played in during his rookie campaign, and five years later found himself playing lights out for the New York Giants.

2001 NFL Draft: Casey Hampton | DT | Texas | 19th Overall Selection

5 Pro Bowls

Hampton started in 11 games in his rookie season, and played in all 16, and ever since he has been a vital component to a Pittsburgh defensive unit that prides itself on leading the league nearly annually in stopping the rushing attack of opponents. He is a monstrous nose tackle that requires a minimum of two offensive linemen to keep him out of the play, and rarely gets the credit that he has truly earned. Number 98 is still standing tall as the starting nose tackle of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

2002 NFL Draft: Kendall Simmons | OG | Auburn | 30th Overall Selection

After being selected with the 30th pick, Simmons stepped directly into a starting position, holding it until an injury sidelined him in 2004. In 2005, he returned to his starting position, and helped lead the Steelers to a Super Bowl XL victory over the Seattle Seahawks. Three years later, he once again found himself on injured reserve, resulting in his being cut by the franchise. He started in every game he played in a Steelers uniform. Simmons is currently a free agent, but his signing with another team is highly unlikely.

2003 NFL Draft: Troy Polamalu | DB | USC | 16th Overall Selection

6 Pro Bowls

3 1st Team All Pro

2010 NFL Defensive Player Of The Year

In a rare move for the franchise, Colbert traded his 27th overall selection away, amongst other things, to secure the 16th overall pick in the 2003 NFL draft, and used it to select the man that finds himself being mentioned among all time Steelers’ greats. Polamalu played in all 16 games of his rookie season, and from there on has started in every game that he’s played in. Known as a do-it-all, rover of a safety, he can play the run and the pass equally well, and has a knack for making big plays in times of need. He was named the 2010 NFL Defensive Player Of The Year, en route to a Super Bowl XLV loss to the Green Bay Packers.

2004 NFL Draft: Ben Roethlisberger | QB | Miami (OH) | 11th Overall Selection

1 Pro Bowl

2004 NFL Offensive Rookie Of The Year

Roethlisberger was not slated to start immediately, but after an injury to then starting quarterback Tommy Maddox, the team gave him a shot – one that paid off quite well. He won 14 games in a row, before losing to the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship game, securing his selection as the 2004 NFL Rookie Of The Year. He has lead the team to three Super Bowls, winning two of them, and despite recent off-field issues, looks to become even better in the future. With his ability to create plays with his feet, his toughness, and his leadership ability, he reminds Steelers fans of old of four time Super Bowl champion quarterback, Terry Bradshaw, and in some fans’ eyes is even better than the latter.

2005 NFL Draft: Heath Miller | TE | Virginia | 30th Overall Selection

1 Pro Bowl

After addressing quarterback in the 2004 Draft, Colbert drafted that quarterback a safety net, a big, strong tight end with soft hands and an outstanding football intelligence. Miller isn’t recognized nearly as much as he should be, outside of Pittsburgh that is. He is the perfect compliment to a scrambling quarterback the likes of Roethlisberger – he can block well above average in tight end terms, and creates match up problems with the defense. In the 2006 opener, he caught an 87 yard touchdown pass, which is the longest in the history of Heinz Field, and was the longest by a tight end since 1974.

2006 NFL Draft: Santonio Holmes | WR | Ohio State | 25th Overall Selection

Super Bowl XLIII Most Valuable Player

Once more under Colbert, the Steelers traded, albeit not far from their original selection at number 32 and selected the Ohio State product. Holmes started four games in his rookie year, and from then on started every time he suited up for the Steelers (noticing a theme, yet?). Yet again a receiver that complimented Ward perfectly, with his lightning quick cuts and ability to stretch the field, he gave Roethlisberger a deep threat that could haul in spectacular catches when needed. He was traded to the New York Jets in the 2010 off-season, and is currently a free agent. There’s no question that he’ll find himself signing a contact, or re-signing with the Jets should the CBA be firmly set in place prior to next season.

2007 NFL Draft: Lawrence Timmons | LB | Florida State | 15th Overall Selection

Timmons didn’t crack the starting lineup as a regular until his third year in the league, due to two very good veteran inside linebackers – James Farrior and Larry Foote. But, he started making an impact in his second year, recording five sacks. He has the unique ability to be able to play any of the linebacker positions in the 3-4 defense, and has been seen sliding to outside linebacker on occasion, mostly during injuries to 2007 second round selection – LaMarr Woodley. He is currently the Steelers starting inside linebacker and had over 100 tackles this past season.

2008 NFL Draft: Rashard Mendenhall | RB | Illinois | 23rd Overall Selection

Although he played in only four games during his first year (starting one) he came back strong, surpassing 1,000 yards in each of the next two seasons. For a team that was in desperate need of a running back, Mendenhall has turned out too good to be true, possessing the ability to keep his legs churning and having a knack for making defenders miss. He has shown notable improvement from year to year, and the future looks bright for the young running back.

2009 NFL Draft: Evander Hood | DE | Missouri | 32nd Overall Selection

Hood was a head scratching pick to most Steelers fans, and after one year it appeared that the master had made a rare error, but after long time starter Aaron Smith once again found himself hurt, Hood took over the starting role and performed well above most fans’ expectations. He held the point of attack as firmly as any defensive end in the NFL in the 2010 season, and seemed very comfortable fitting into the Steelers defensive line rotation, like Mendenhall his future seems very bright.

2010 NFL Draft: Maurkice Pouncey | C | Florida | 18th Overall Selection

1 Pro Bowl

Stepping directly into the starting lineup from day number one, Pouncey answered the call and performed at an All Pro level, making a great case for himself as the NFL’s best center before his rookie season was even over. He has the ability to swivel his hips and pull with the best of them, while possessing the strength to take on multiple defenders at a time and the speed to get to the second level and lead the ball carrier to the end zone. Unfortunately for him his rookie season ended a bit prematurely, as he was injured just prior to the Super Bowl, missing the biggest game of his short career. He’ll return to the starting lineup next season, and with luck, help lead the Steelers to the promised land once more.

On this list, you’ll find a Super Bowl MVP, an Offensive Rookie Of The Year, a Defensive Player of The Year, 14 Pro Bowls, and three First Team All Pro players. All but three are currently on the Steelers roster, and all became starters for the franchise.

As expected, there has been a lot of speculation on who the Steelers will spend their 31st overall pick on this year, and while we all have our preferences Colbert’s track record of consistently picking winners stands tall, and rest assured, when he makes the selection, it will be the right one.

http://steelhurtin.com/2011/02/28/pitts ... ting-late/ (http://steelhurtin.com/2011/02/28/pittsburgh-steelers-have-excellent-track-record-when-drafting-late/)

The Sodfather
03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
i wonder how long some of the other teams in the league have that long of a run of not drafting a CB in the first round

i think it shows

The mighty Green Bay Packers, who just beat the Steelers in the SB like they were red headed step kids, have drafted two DBs in the 1st round since 97. Ahmad Carroll (2004) was definitely a corner but I think Antuan Edwards (1999) was moved to safety.

The Sodfather
03-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Some more recent champs:

Saints: Malcolm Jenkins (99)
Giants: Aaron Ross (07), Will Allen (01)
Colts: Marlin Jackson (05)

Obviously some mixed results.

NJ-STEELER
03-01-2011, 05:23 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":1s18ybfo]i wonder how long some of the other teams in the league have that long of a run of not drafting a CB in the first round

i think it shows

The mighty Green Bay Packers, who just beat the Steelers in the SB like they were red headed step kids, have drafted two DBs in the 1st round since 97. Ahmad Carroll (2004) was definitely a corner but I think Antuan Edwards (1999) was moved to safety.[/quote:1s18ybfo]

they also went out and signed one of the top CBs in the game when he became available

SteelStallion
03-01-2011, 06:18 PM
[quote="The Sodfather":310dvurd][quote="NJ-STEELER":310dvurd]i wonder how long some of the other teams in the league have that long of a run of not drafting a CB in the first round

i think it shows

The mighty Green Bay Packers, who just beat the Steelers in the SB like they were red headed step kids, have drafted two DBs in the 1st round since 97. Ahmad Carroll (2004) was definitely a corner but I think Antuan Edwards (1999) was moved to safety.[/quote:310dvurd]

they also went out and signed one of the top CBs in the game when he became available[/quote:310dvurd]

Right, they ADDRESSED the issue.

The Sodfather
03-02-2011, 07:38 AM
[quote="The Sodfather":v7rdbl5f][quote="NJ-STEELER":v7rdbl5f]i wonder how long some of the other teams in the league have that long of a run of not drafting a CB in the first round

i think it shows

The mighty Green Bay Packers, who just beat the Steelers in the SB like they were red headed step kids, have drafted two DBs in the 1st round since 97. Ahmad Carroll (2004) was definitely a corner but I think Antuan Edwards (1999) was moved to safety.[/quote:v7rdbl5f]

they also went out and signed one of the top CBs in the game when he became available[/quote:v7rdbl5f]

That wasn't the question.

Besides the other 2 of the top 3 CBs were far from 1st round picks.

feltdizz
03-02-2011, 10:24 AM
we have won 2 SB's and lost another by 6 points with 3 TO's and a TD given up by the offense.

Now I'm on the draft CB wagon but I think we are over reacting a bit. Sure it's frustrating to watch Brees, Brady and Rodgers pick us apart but we have 25 other QB's who can't.

Don't be surprised if we go DL the first round.

SteelStallion
03-02-2011, 11:03 AM
we have won 2 SB's and lost another by 6 points with 3 TO's and a TD given up by the offense.

Now I'm on the draft CB wagon but I think we are over reacting a bit. Sure it's frustrating to watch Brees, Brady and Rodgers pick us apart but we have 25 other QB's who can't.

I think you may be right. They won't risk a first round draft bust. They'll go BPA which is likely a lineman. Unless they like the Texas kid with the size and ball-hawking skills. It's just a frustrating situation. Like I said somewhere else, if they were even average in that secondary they might have one or even two more Lombardi's. They don't want to do free agency but they whiff terribly with their DB draft picks so what are they gonna do?

grotonsteel
03-02-2011, 11:07 AM

I don't know whether they need to draft a CB in Rd 1 but they have to do something about Cb position.

They have failed to develop a CB picked in later rounds except for Ike Taylor.

Ike taylor is 31 and his greatest asset is speed. 2-3 years down the line when he slows down Steelers could be in real trouble.

Steelers defensive players take 2-3 years to start playing so going by that they need to either draft a CB very early in the draft or make a move for a CB in free agency which they currently can't do it because of no CBA.

NJ-STEELER
03-02-2011, 11:31 AM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":mbt2t9vh][quote="The Sodfather":mbt2t9vh][quote="NJ-STEELER":mbt2t9vh]i wonder how long some of the other teams in the league have that long of a run of not drafting a CB in the first round

i think it shows

The mighty Green Bay Packers, who just beat the Steelers in the SB like they were red headed step kids, have drafted two DBs in the 1st round since 97. Ahmad Carroll (2004) was definitely a corner but I think Antuan Edwards (1999) was moved to safety.[/quote:mbt2t9vh]

they also went out and signed one of the top CBs in the game when he became available[/quote:mbt2t9vh]

That wasn't the question.

Besides the other 2 of the top 3 CBs were far from 1st round picks.[/quote:mbt2t9vh]

why would you need to draft a corner high if you trade for one of the best in the game?

if we went out and signed ASO, i doubt we would need a corner drafted in the 1st day of the draft

The Sodfather
03-02-2011, 11:52 AM
why would you need to draft a corner high if you trade for one of the best in the game?

if we went out and signed ASO, i doubt we would need a corner drafted in the 1st day of the draft

You're not to bright are you?

If we signed ASO but didn't bring Ike back (which would happen because of $$$) you're right back in the same boat. BMAC and Gay as 2 and 3 and people still screaming we need a CB on the first day of the draft.

Which brings me back to the original point, don't make a pick based solely on need.

The Sodfather
03-02-2011, 11:56 AM

Very good

People need to realize it's the NFL in 2010 and that the whole league is geared to lots of scoring and passing. You're not going to "shutdown" the really good QBs for 4 quarters on a consistent basis.

NJ-STEELER
03-02-2011, 03:23 PM

You're not to bright are you?

[/quote:10ssm862]

LOL

good job with the bash and then mis spelling a word there, Einstein.

and who said anything about releasing Ike to sign ASO. and even if they did have to let ike go in favor of ASO its STILL an upgrade because its not like Ike doesn't get beat

The Sodfather
03-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Yep

Definitely not bright

NJ-STEELER
03-02-2011, 03:35 PM
thx buddy

you're too kind

The Sodfather
03-02-2011, 03:45 PM
I've witnessed your posts on several message over a few years now and you're the last person who should be taking about someone's spelling, grammar or typing.

Of course when you post such stupidity attacking an error in typing is about all you have,

Isn't that right NJGump?

NJ-STEELER
03-02-2011, 05:45 PM
normally, i dont go around around correcting spelling/grammatical mistakes. and i certainly have a ton of them myself.

what i dont do is go around bashing people for no reason, as you did in this post

i found it ironic that you didn't know how the use the proper to/too after posting "i wasnt too bright"....so i responded the same way you would.
refresh my memory and show me i insulted you. here or another board. if you want to be a jagoff, you should expect the same back

is this Shultz? are you gonna cry again when i come back at you after insulting me first?
like you did on SN?

NJ-STEELER
03-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Back on topic

my position is that the Cb who may be ranked 40th overall on the big board will help us a lot more then a DE rated 31st.
so if we have to "reach" for that player, so be it. Or if there is bigger fall off then that at CB , then a FS/OT/OG/ would be a better value and likely have a more immediate impact

the front seven is the best in the league and i dont see them slacking off much in the next 2 years. hood is only going to get better and aaron can spell both DE spots next year.
personally, i wouldnt even look for a DL until the 3rd rd. the secondary is in dire need of improvement

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Steelers 1st Round Targets That Could Still Be On The Draft Board At 31

Over the last few weeks a few readers have asked me if I could put together a realistic list of players the Steelers most likely will have a shot at drafting should they stay at the #31 spot where they are currently slated to pick. As the players with first round grades are starting to settle in following their combine performances and the early pro days, it is easier now to get a better picture of the first round. I will do later rounds as we go, but there is so much movement going on still with the mid round guys it would be ludicrous to project past round one for at least a little while longer. It is too easy to list guys here like Mike Pouncey and Nate Solder as it is pretty obvious in my opinion that if either of those two guys were to somehow drop to 31, the Steelers would snap them up. I just can't see those guys falling. What this post is trying to do is provide a realistic narrowing down of players, who at this point of March, look to have a chance at being on the board when the Steelers pick at 31. These players also fit the biggest overall needs the Steelers have as well. These are in no particular order:

T Gabe Carimi (Wisconsin) - Carimi is still passing all the sniff test that he can play left tackle in the NFL. Currently he is my 4th rated tackle and could be selected from pick 20 on. He still has a legitimate chance of sliding to 31 still in my opinion.

HGT WGT ARMS HANDS 40 TIME 10 TIME 225 REPS VERT JUMP 20 S 3 CONE
6070 314 35 10 3/8 5.27 1.82 29 31.5 9'1" DNP DNP

DE Cameron Heyward (Ohio State) - A few days away from his private work-out still, but Heyward could be the best 3-4 five technique defensive end in the draft. If he is not selected by the Chargers at 18, he will likely slip all the way down to the bottom of round 1.

HGT WGT ARMS HANDS 40 TIME 225 REPS VERT JUMP 20 S 60 S 3 CONE
6050* 294 34 1/4 10 1/8 DNP DNP 30.0 DNP DNP DNP DNP

DE Muhammad Wilkerson (Temple) - Another 3-4 five technique defensive end that can move around to either side. The more I see of this kid, the more I like. Had a great combine showing and could be on the board at 31. Motor is in good shape.

6041 315 35 1/4 10 4.96 27 26.0 8'10" 4.59 7.31

CB Brandon Harris (Miami) – Harris is a tad bit undersized, but very talented. Probably projects as a nickel back first before trying to move outside. He was the best looking corner in position drills at the combine. Reportedly not a huge character concern. His stock is climbing and he could have already passed Smith as the 3rd rated corner in the draft.

5094 191 30 5/8 8 1/2 4.53 13 35.5 9'5" 4.12 N/A 6.77

ILB Martez Wilson (Illinois) - I mentioned this guy back on a podcast a while ago and also in my best player available post. Since then, everyone is finally giving him respect as a possibility for the Steelers in round one. James Farrior is another year older and free agent Keyaron Fox likely will not be back. Larry Foote is under contract still, but not irreplaceable either. Wilson has a great tool set and could probably play inside and outside if needed. He also could cut his teeth on special teams in year one.

6036 250 34 5/8 9 3/4 4.49 23 36.0 10'4" 4.28 DNP 7.04

NT Phil Taylor (Baylor) - Taylor will likely be the 1st true nose tackle off the board. The Steelers just nailed down Casey Hampton prior to the 2010 season for a few more years and Chris Hoke is currently an unrestricted free agent. It might be one year too early for the Steelers to draft the heir apparent to Big Snack, but I am not ready to cross him off the list of suspects just because of that.

6032 334 34 10 3/4 5.14 31 29.5 8'4" 4.77 7.75

T Derek Sherrod (Mississippi State) - Easily the 4th or 5th best tackle in the draft. Because of that he should be available late and could even slide to the early part of round 2. I still have Solder and Carimi rated ahead of him and Sherrod would likely be better suited on the right side as well. He had a good Senior Bowl showing.

6053 321 35 3/8 11 5.20 23 28.0 8'1" 4.63 7.43

G Danny Watkins (Baylor) - Easily the second best interior lineman on the board, but also easily the oldest guy of the early rounders. Because of his age and the fact he projects as a guard, it would be easy to rule him out as a possibility of being drafted by the Steelers in the 1st round. I am not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet with him, because the talent certainly is there.

6033 310 34 1/4 10 1/8 5.40 29 26.0 7'8" 4.62 7.61

CB Jimmy Smith (Colorado) - Physical corner with questions about his character and work ethic. Certainly is talented and fits what the Steelers need. Some reports suggest he did not interview too well at the combine. Certainly has a shot at dropping to 31, but would the Steelers risk it with him? Too early to rule him out just yet as many are trying to do.

6022 211 32 1/4 9 3/4 4.46 24 36.0 10'3" 4.06 6.93

CB/S Aaron Williams (Texas) - Is he a corner or a safety? Not the best of tacklers, but is still raw. Easily the 5th rated corner in the draft if that is what he is deemed. Would probably be a reach for the Steelers in round one, but I am not ready to rule him out as a possibility just yet.

5117 204 31 1/2 9 1/4 4.56 18 37.5 10'7" 4.07 6.72

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/st ... ard-at-31/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/steelers-1st-round-targets-that-could-still-be-on-the-draft-board-at-31/)

Shawn
03-23-2011, 02:28 AM

I wouldn't be shocked in the least if they selected a guy like Heyward.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2011, 07:34 PM

I wouldn't be shocked in the least if they selected a guy like Heyward.

from Scott Brown's blog:

View From The Press Box

Quick hits
March 23rd, 2011

NEW ORLEANS – Some thoughts and observations before leaving the Big Easy…

-- Assuming a CBA is reached at some point and there is free agency, look for Ike Taylor to re-sign with the Steelers.

The reason? Simple. The veteran cornerback wants to stay in Pittsburgh and the Steelers want him back.

-- Don’t be surprised if the Steelers go defensive, not offensive, line with their first-round draft pick. The draft is flush with defensive linemen, meaning a very good one could fall to the Steelers at No. 31.

They hit with Ziggy Hood at No. 32 two years ago, and they still need to get younger along their defensive line.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2011/03/23/quick-hits/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)