PDA

View Full Version : Potential Steelers Draft Pick Profiles: CB Ras-I Dowling

hawaiiansteel
02-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Potential Steelers Draft Pick Profiles: Ras-I Dowling, Cornerback, Virginia

by big_jay71 on Feb 26, 2011

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/552350/Dowling_medium.jpeg

As Tim (HSS) and I continue to bring you player profiles of potential Steelers targets in the 2011 NFL Draft, I thought I would shift the focus from the first round to the second round. If the Steelers take an offensive lineman in the first round, or address some other need besides the secondary, then they will definitely have to take the best cornerback available at pick 63. So with that in mind I decided to profile Virginia CB Ras-I Dowling who is a personal favorite of many of you in Steelers Nation.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/552362/RDowling_medium.jpg

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 200lbs.

2009 Stats: 58 Tackles, 3 Interceptions, 2 Forced Fumbles, 1 Sack

Pros: Ras-I Dowling's best attribute is his size. At 6'2", 200lbs. he's ideal size to defend NFL receivers. He also has good but not great hands, at Virginia he had 8 career interceptions. He plays best in zone coverage because of his vision and ability to break on the ball which is a perfect fit for the Steelers defense. He uses the sideline well like Darelle Revis to trap WR's into confining themselves. In run support he is a willing and vicious hitter but still manages to make secure tackles. While not known for his speed he has surprisingly good straight-line acceleration.

Cons: Dowling's biggest issue is his lack of speed which is why many people feel he'll have to move to Safety in the NFL. During the combine if he runs a 4.45-4.50 he'll be fine and may even find himself sneaking into the top 40 picks, but he's currently expected to run about a 4.55 which wouldn't be good for him. A 4.55 or worse means that he'll be a liability in man-coverage and will almost have to switch to Safety. In the NFL he'll definitely have trouble with faster WR's. The other issue is with his health. Dowling's 2010 season was a wash as he only played in 5 games, finishing only 3 of those, and sustained an ankle fracture which ended his season.

Draft Stock: As previously stated Ras-I Dowling's draft stock will be almost entirely dependent on how fast he runs the 40 yard dash at the NFL combine. If he runs slow he could make up some ground if he can get through the cone drills with speed and fluid motion. if he runs well Dowling could go as early in the second as Denver at 36, Houston at 42, Detroit at 44, and to many of the other CB hungry teams. Given that I expect him to run about a 4.55 40 he should be available at pick 63 for the Steelers. Keep in mind through that may teams may view him as a Safety instead which could change his draft stock altogether.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/552428/Ras-IDowling_medium.jpg

NFL Player Comparison: New Orleans Saints CB/FS Malcolm Jenkins
As with Jenkins Dowling has good size for the position, is great in zone coverage, but his questionable speed will probably facilitate his move to Safety at some point.

Final Word: As with most in Steelers Nation I am a big fan of Ras-I Dowling. He's a tough competitor and a perfect fit for the Steelers defense. His speed, or lack thereof, gives me concern though. While his abilities will help more than it will hurt the fact that he'll get burned by the faster receivers bothers me a lot. However if the Steelers draft him with the intention of eventually moving him to Free Safety I would be overjoyed. But who knows, this weekend at the combine he could run a 4.45 40 and his speed will be a moot point. With his speed and injury problems I wouldn't consider taking him in the first round, although he has first round talent, but at the end of the second I would be very happy taking him if he were available.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/2/26/2014761/steelers-2011-nfl-draft-combine-profiles-ras-i-dowling-virginia#storyjump)

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/552445/jersey_medium.jpeg

SteelCrazy
02-26-2011, 07:58 PM
I love this guy and hope we can snag him in the 2nd. I wanted him last year, but he stayed in school. Great size and would be as good as Ike, if not better in coverage by year 2.

hawaiiansteel
02-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Perfect CB is a rare find in draft

NFL Scouting Combine
Monday, February 28, 2011

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS -- When he talks about what he looks for in a cornerback, Kevin Colbert sounds as though he is ordering a pizza with all the toppings. He doesn't leave out an item.

"We always want size, we always want speed, we always want athleticism, we always want toughness, we always want ball skills and productivity," said Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations.

"You put it all together and you're going to have a great player. Sometimes they're going to be faster and not have great ball skills. Sometimes they're going to be slower and have great ball skills."

Alas, not many of those cornerbacks exist in the 2011 NFL draft, or any draft, for that matter. Maybe a Rod Woodson in 1987 or Deion Sanders in '89 or even Charles Woodson in '98.

But, if there is such a cornerback in this year's draft, he would be LSU's Patrick Peterson, the top-rated corner at the NFL Scouting Combine who has a chance to be the first defensive player selected in April. He is just about everything Colbert describes in the perfect corner, and then some.

He is 6 feet, 219 pounds, has been timed at 4.29 seconds in the 40-yard dash and gave up just one touchdown pass in 2010 (to Alabama's Julio Jones). He is also the cousin of Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden.

"I'm an all-around cornerback and that's what I wanted to do coming out of college," said Peterson, who left LSU after his junior season. "I definitely want to continue that trend going into the NFL."

No cornerback has been the No. 1 overall selection in the draft, but Peterson has a chance to tie the two corners who were the highest selected -- Bruce Pickens by the Atlanta Falcons in 1991 and Shawn Springs by the Seattle Seahawks in '97. Each was the third overall pick.

Not far behind Peterson is Nebraska's Prince Amukamara, who is rated the second-best corner at the combine because he can cover, tackle and is chiseled better than Herbie Husker. Like Peterson, he should be among the top 10 players selected, even though he did not have an interception in 2010.

Both those players will be well out of reach for the Steelers, who have the No. 31 pick in the draft. But, with a lot of quantity and quality at the position, the Steelers might have a shot at any number of other good cornerbacks in the first round, even if the rest of the crop is not as highly regarded as Peterson and Amukamara.

"Patrick Peterson is an amazing player," said Amukamara, a converted running back who measured at 6-0, 206 pounds. "Whatever attention or notoriety he's getting, he deserves it."

There are a number of other good cornerbacks who could fall to the Steelers as low first-round or early second-round selections, depending on their grades at the combine. Among them are Brandon Harris of Miami, Jimmy Smith of Colorado, Aaron Williams of Texas and Ras-I Dowling of Virginia.

Like Peterson, Harris and Williams are juniors who will get a long look at the combine because they couldn't compete in the Senior Bowl. And, like Peterson, Harris gave up only one touchdown pass in 2010 -- to Notre Dame's Michael Floyd in the Sun Bowl.

Like Amukamara, Williams did not have an interception last season with the Longhorns, raising questions about his ball skills.

"I try to mimic my game as close as possible to Charles Woodson," said Harris, referring to the Green Bay Packers' Pro Bowl cornerback and the 2009 NFL defensive player of the year. "I do a lot of things that he does as far as playing the outside corner position and busting inside in the nickel on certain packages and coming off the edge to blitz the quarterback and stick your nose in the run game. As a defensive back, that's a quality you have to have in the NFL."

That is something defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau demands of his corners in the Steelers defense.

LeBeau likes bigger, physical cornerbacks who can play the run -- one of the reasons the Steelers annually rank at the top, or near the top, of the NFL in run defense. But, as the Packers showed with their four-wide receiver sets in Super Bowl XLV, being able to defend the pass has become, or should become, the top prerequisite for a Steelers cornerback.

In the past two seasons, Steelers cornerbacks have combined for only seven interceptions -- the same number safety Troy Polamalu had in 14 games in 2010.

"There are a lot of good names out there," Peterson said. "Looks like I'm leading the class right now, but there's a lot of good guys who are definitely deserving to be No. 1."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11059/11 ... z1FHxN1lzZ (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11059/1128545-66.stm#ixzz1FHxN1lzZ)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Dowling just ran a 4.4 flat at the combine. Pulled out of 2nd attempt for hammy. That's step one. I want to see his shuttle, cones, and position workout. If he is fluid and can turn the hips & run...I think he can play CB. His game tape suggest he could but lets see how he times so we could try to project him better.

Oviedo
03-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Another zone coverage CB...no thank you.

We already have more than enough CBs who can't cover man to man. If we draft him that will just be proof that LeBeau has learned nothing and will stubbornly cling to doing things "his way"

grotonsteel
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM

We already have more than enough CBs who can't cover man to man. If we draft him that will just be proof that LeBeau has learned nothing and will stubbornly cling to doing things "his way"

:Agree

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2011, 11:51 AM

Dowling played as much man as your boys Williams & Brown. Dowling is more physical than both. Why you just want to throw a tag of zone CB on a guy cause you want to makes little sense. And your boy Brown who must be a non zone CB because you have him in your mock ran a 4.55. That is only one piece to the puzzle because shuttle, cones, and position drills must be taken into account but that doesn't show well for a man CB.

Looks like Dowling pulled of position drills. That sucks, i wanted to see what he looked like. Maybe he does broad jump, vertical, shuttle, & cones. Williams is running his 40 soon
so lets see how he does.

grotonsteel
03-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Dowling played as much man as your boys Williams & Brown. Dowling is more physical than both. Why you just want to throw a tag of zone CB on a guy cause you want to makes little sense. And your boy Brown who must be a non zone CB because you have him in your mock ran a 4.55. That is only one piece to the puzzle because shuttle, cones, and position drills must be taken into account but that doesn't show well for a man CB.

Looks like Dowling pulled of position drills. That sucks, i wanted to see what he looked like. Maybe he does broad jump, vertical, shuttle, & cones. Williams is running his 40 soon
so lets see how he does.

If Dowling can play man coverage i am all for drafting him. I need CB who have speed and can play man-to-man.

Steelers drafting these slow CB who play in zone coverage is not working. Steelers have to modify their schemes if they want to win another SB.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2011, 12:54 PM

so lets see how he does.

If Dowling can play man coverage i am all for drafting him. I need CB who have speed and can play man-to-man.

Steelers drafting these slow CB who play in zone coverage is not working. Steelers have to modify their schemes if they want to win another SB.

I agree, the Steelers need athletic CBs. But really they have. Gay, Lewis, and Butler had athletic showing in their draft process. Its not like they drafted a safety & try to make him a CB.

Unfortunately, that's what the whole process is about. There are too may factors that just can't be measured in t-shirts & shorts. There is a jump in level of competition. They go into a pro system that has a specific design. Not like college were the go cover 1 and the DC tells you take the offenses #1 wherever he goes.

Gay can run & cover but is too slight. He gets knocked out of position and ends up playing the receivers eyes. Not always a good win percentage in man. He found his role in nickel & dime. Matches up better against a #3 or #4 if he has to go man but his stature just better suits him playing a spot on the field and not a man.

Lewis hasn't learned he is in the NFL yet. His pure physical skills in college would make up for his lack of discipline & technique. In the NFL, he needs to pay attention to "the little things" because the speed of the game went up a notch. He isn't seeing WRs that he could overwhelm or recover when he takes a false step. It is obvious with Lewis. He gets caught flat footed and grabbing the WR because he gets beat on a jamb or a guy gets even and his 2nd gear doesn't gain the ground it did in college. He is the perfect example of "Hope the light goes on!" because the physical skills are there.

Butler is the most athletic out of all of them and really no evidence to go on yet that he will succeed until he sees the field. Again, all the physical skills are there. Where does his mind take him. I'm hoping it takes him to a starting role but he has work to do.

It is very difficult to predict how the player will react or work at the next level. You can get a better gauge through the process but even the "sure thing" guys fall on their face. And the phrase "Paralysis by Analysis" can make a 4.2 guy look slow in game speed so just labeling a guy unathletic or zone CB because he doesn't pan out isn't accurate. Remember...The mind has "wheels" too.

Just a comment on this phrase of playing 10 yards off the WR. Many just throw that out there thinking it is based on lack of talent or fear. Steelers play a 3-4. PAssing down pressure isn't geared at generating that pressure from 4 guys with their hands in the dirt like the 4-3. DL's schemes have always been based on deception & zone blitz. A big part of the confusion is from pre-snap reads on pass protetction and WR options routes. These pre-snap reads the QB & WR go through are based upon alignment, mirrored motion, and CB alignment on WR. Simply getting up on the face of a WR tells the QB too much presnap. There is a time for it but DLs blitzing packages benefit more from this alignment especially given the state of the secondary. In reality, you wouldn't be complaining about the aligment with better personnel. It's the personnel playing the system not the system itself. Another good CB opposite Ike will prove that.

Dee Dub
03-01-2011, 01:14 PM
As most here know I have been touting Dowling for a long time. I have said all along had he not gotten hurt he was a lock for top 20 first round. Now that he showed his 4.4 he isn’t go to be nowhere near pick number 63. And forget his shuttle, his pack peddle, or anything else. Watch him on tape from 2009 and you will see all you need to see on him. He is the real deal. A perfect fit for the Steelers D.

Dee Dub
03-01-2011, 01:16 PM

This is so untrue. Is he the best at man? No...but he isnt a slouch. He can hold his own

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Aaron Williams ran 4.53. Looked a little bigger that I though he would.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
I'll tell you what though...If Dowling is one 40 & done at the combine because of his hammy...I don't want him. This is one guy that couldn't afford an "injury" issue to surface after last year. As of right now, it looks like his combine is done. That right there turns me off him. Could be 2nd round talent....when he sees the field. That's one guy in my pre-combine mock I'm considered taking the eraser to. He is earning the new nickname Glass-I Howling cause I got another boo boo.

Dee Dub
03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
I'll tell you what though...If Dowling is one 40 & done at the combine because of his hammy...I don't want him. This is one guy that couldn't afford an "injury" issue to surface after last year. As of right now, it looks like his combine is done. That right there turns me off him. Could be 2nd round talent....when he sees the field. That's one guy in my pre-combine mock I'm considered taking the eraser to. He is earning the new nickname Glass-I Howling cause I got another boo boo.

We’re talking about a combine. Are you really concerned about him tweeking a hamstring and shutting it down at the combine? Look at the big picture. We are talking about draft position here for Dowling. Would you risk further injury and the possibility of millions of dollars to run again if you felt a little twitch? Ok…we got you down. You are off the Ras-I Dowling band wagon. Not me. I’ve seen what he can do when he is on the field. At the next level he is going to shine and be one of the biggest steals in this draft.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2011, 03:45 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1di0dpir]I'll tell you what though...If Dowling is one 40 & done at the combine because of his hammy...I don't want him. This is one guy that couldn't afford an "injury" issue to surface after last year. As of right now, it looks like his combine is done. That right there turns me off him. Could be 2nd round talent....when he sees the field. That's one guy in my pre-combine mock I'm considered taking the eraser to. He is earning the new nickname Glass-I Howling cause I got another boo boo.

We’re talking about a combine. Are you really concerned about him tweeking a hamstring and shutting it down at the combine? Look at the big picture. We are talking about draft position here for Dowling. Would you risk further injury and the possibility of millions of dollars to run again if you felt a little twitch? Ok…we got you down. You are off the Ras-I Dowling band wagon. Not me. I’ve seen what he can do when he is on the field. At the next level he is going to shine and be one of the biggest steals in this draft.[/quote:1di0dpir]

That is exactly why...It's ONLY the combine. If it is the same hamstring that caused him to miss some games this year...It is a big concern....Looking at the big picture. I have been on Dowling for a long time...But he didn't need any kind of injury to hit now. For a second round pick...It is a huge concern. I love the healthy Dowling I have seen on film...But if we find out it is the same hammy that he missed time with this season there has to be some concern this guy can remain healthy.

Dee Dub
03-01-2011, 03:57 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":3lvz26ls][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3lvz26ls]I'll tell you what though...If Dowling is one 40 & done at the combine because of his hammy...I don't want him. This is one guy that couldn't afford an "injury" issue to surface after last year. As of right now, it looks like his combine is done. That right there turns me off him. Could be 2nd round talent....when he sees the field. That's one guy in my pre-combine mock I'm considered taking the eraser to. He is earning the new nickname Glass-I Howling cause I got another boo boo.

We’re talking about a combine. Are you really concerned about him tweeking a hamstring and shutting it down at the combine? Look at the big picture. We are talking about draft position here for Dowling. Would you risk further injury and the possibility of millions of dollars to run again if you felt a little twitch? Ok…we got you down. You are off the Ras-I Dowling band wagon. Not me. I’ve seen what he can do when he is on the field. At the next level he is going to shine and be one of the biggest steals in this draft.[/quote:3lvz26ls]

That is exactly why...It's ONLY the combine. If it is the same hamstring that caused him to miss some games this year...It is a big concern....Looking at the big picture. I have been on Dowling for a long time...But he didn't need any kind of injury to hit now. For a second round pick...It is a huge concern. I love the healthy Dowling I have seen on film...But if we find out it is the same hammy that he missed time with this season there has to be some concern this guy can remain healthy.[/quote:3lvz26ls]

I see it differently. I see a guy just taking precautions. Had this been a game he probably would have played through it. I see a player who had some injuries this past year but prior to that...never did . That's how I see it. I see what he is capable of doing on the field and outside of Patrick Petersen, he is the best fit for a 3-4.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2011, 04:21 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":ap9303b5][quote="Dee Dub":ap9303b5][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":ap9303b5]I'll tell you what though...If Dowling is one 40 & done at the combine because of his hammy...I don't want him. This is one guy that couldn't afford an "injury" issue to surface after last year. As of right now, it looks like his combine is done. That right there turns me off him. Could be 2nd round talent....when he sees the field. That's one guy in my pre-combine mock I'm considered taking the eraser to. He is earning the new nickname Glass-I Howling cause I got another boo boo.

We’re talking about a combine. Are you really concerned about him tweeking a hamstring and shutting it down at the combine? Look at the big picture. We are talking about draft position here for Dowling. Would you risk further injury and the possibility of millions of dollars to run again if you felt a little twitch? Ok…we got you down. You are off the Ras-I Dowling band wagon. Not me. I’ve seen what he can do when he is on the field. At the next level he is going to shine and be one of the biggest steals in this draft.[/quote:ap9303b5]

That is exactly why...It's ONLY the combine. If it is the same hamstring that caused him to miss some games this year...It is a big concern....Looking at the big picture. I have been on Dowling for a long time...But he didn't need any kind of injury to hit now. For a second round pick...It is a huge concern. I love the healthy Dowling I have seen on film...But if we find out it is the same hammy that he missed time with this season there has to be some concern this guy can remain healthy.[/quote:ap9303b5]

I see it differently. I see a guy just taking precautions. Had this been a game he probably would have played through it. I see a player who had some injuries this past year but prior to that...never did . That's how I see it. I see what he is capable of doing on the field and outside of Patrick Petersen, he is the best fit for a 3-4.[/quote:ap9303b5]

When you only play 5 games your senior year and there are questions about your health...You don't have the luxury of taking precautions. Bad luck...Call it whatever you like...It isn't helping him through the process. He was healthy before his 2010 season and that is the big reason I didn't worry about his injuries last year. But injuring a hamstring that lingured in 2010 on your first time you heat up with durability questions in the air...Not good. You are not going to play with a hammy in a game. Your recovery time for that position is tricky. You don't have to sell me on Ras Dowling. But nobody is an impact player or best fit for anything if you can't get on the field. In a couple of years, everyone could be saying it was just a run of bad luck because he never misses a game. But if I'm writing the name on the card for the 2nd round pick...I'm making sure any way possible I won't be hearing about the "Red Flags" that were waving me in the face before I drafted him when he can't stay healthy enough to get on the field.

ikestops85
03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
You guys can have your man-to-man corner or your zone CB. I want a cornerback who is a playmaker. A guy who can cut in front of the receiver and take it to the house. A guy who knows when to look for the ball on the deep pass instead of just reaching out and running into the receiver. A guy who is good at reading the receivers eyes and playing his hands. A guy who is not afraid of getting beat deep because he knows he has catch-up speed. A guy who has great instincts getting to the ball and great hands when he gets there.

I'm not big on the college players so please let me know which ones can do the above. 8)

Oviedo
03-01-2011, 05:27 PM
You guys can have your man-to-man corner or your zone CB. I want a cornerback who is a playmaker. A guy who can cut in front of the receiver and take it to the house. A guy who knows when to look for the ball on the deep pass instead of just reaching out and running into the receiver. A guy who is good at reading the receivers eyes and playing his hands. A guy who is not afraid of getting beat deep because he knows he has catch-up speed. A guy who has great instincts getting to the ball and great hands when he gets there.

I'm not big on the college players so please let me know which ones can do the above. 8)

We had that guy and we cut him because he dropped an interception as a rookie...Joe Burnett!!!! Guy played alot as a rookie but we kept Keenan Lewis who still can't get on the field in Year 2. Can you say mistake!!!!!!!!!!

NJ-STEELER
03-01-2011, 05:36 PM
8)

$$

ikestops85
03-01-2011, 05:41 PM

We had that guy and we cut him because he dropped an interception as a rookie...Joe Burnett!!!! Guy played alot as a rookie but we kept Keenan Lewis who still can't get on the field in Year 2. Can you say mistake!!!!!!!!!!

I tend to agree with you O. I was shocked they got rid of Burnett because I thought he could be that guy.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-01-2011, 05:59 PM
is this the same joe burnett who was unemployed for an entire season last year?

future pro-bowler!!!!!!

lol.

Oviedo
03-01-2011, 06:01 PM

future pro-bowler!!!!!!

lol.

Sorta like the early career of a guy named James Harrison...lol :wink:

Eddie Spaghetti
03-01-2011, 06:04 PM

future pro-bowler!!!!!!

lol.

Sorta like the early career of a guy named James Harrison...lol :wink:

time will tell.

burnett was too small, IMO.

he "might" have developed into a decent nickel back. he was never going to be a quality starter. and as you have stated over and over and over we have plenty of those.

ikestops85
03-01-2011, 06:08 PM

future pro-bowler!!!!!!

lol.

Really ... I thought he was on the Giants practice squad.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-01-2011, 06:12 PM

future pro-bowler!!!!!!

lol.

Really ... I thought he was on the Giants practice squad.

signed on january 5, 2011.

SteelStallion
03-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I thought I heard Mayock regard Dowling with a "red flag" for injuries. I don't think the Steelers can afford another DB draft bust.

Oviedo
03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
I thought I heard Mayock regard Dowling with a "red flag" for injuries. I don't think the Steelers can afford another DB draft bust.

I thought I heard Dowling pulled a hammy trying to run his second 40. I agree. Seems like a recurring trend.

papillon
03-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Dowling just ran a 4.4 flat at the combine. Pulled out of 2nd attempt for hammy. That's step one. I want to see his shuttle, cones, and position workout. If he is fluid and can turn the hips & run...I think he can play CB. His game tape suggest he could but lets see how he times so we could try to project him better.

I'd have no problem moving him to FS if they drafted. He has good size and can tackle, appears to have decent ball skills, so instead if a head hunter the Steelers may find a ball hawk. I'd prefer that.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2011, 09:56 AM

I thought I heard Dowling pulled a hammy trying to run his second 40. I agree. Seems like a recurring trend.

So Dowling's official time for his one 40 came in at 4.46. He pulled out of the combine after his first run with a hammy. Not a way to answer any questions.

SteelStallion
03-02-2011, 10:55 AM
For the record, I saw Joe Burnette play in college and thought he was a fine day 2 draft pick, Too bad it didn't work out. I just don't get why the Steelers are whiffing so badly in the draft with DBs. My word, if they had even an average secondary they might have one or even two more Lombardi's.

grotonsteel
03-02-2011, 11:12 AM
For the record, I saw Joe Burnette play in college and thought he was a fine day 2 draft pick, Too bad it didn't work out. I just don't get why the Steelers are whiffing so badly in the draft with DBs. My word, if they had even an average secondary they might have one or even two more Lombardi's.

I will say Joe Burnett atleast got on the field. Keenan Lewis could not even do that. I think Steelers got rid of wrong player. I am not saying Joe Burnett is good but he was better than keenan Lewis.

RuthlessBurgher
03-02-2011, 11:26 AM

Aaron Williams looked a lot bigger than I thought he would. Dude's upper body looked like a linebacker. I'm just a bit pensive about taking a guy who wore the same number as Sweed in Austin.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/249/836/91191511_display_image.jpg?1275958220 http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/ap_photo/20110301/all/l5050532.jpg

ikestops85
03-02-2011, 11:38 AM

I will say Joe Burnett atleast got on the field. Keenan Lewis could not even do that. I think Steelers got rid of wrong player. I am not saying Joe Burnett is good but he was better than keenan Lewis.

I still think Burnett had to have done something off the field that caused him to be released. He certainly showed promise when he played and he was very successful in college. Either he couldn't learn the D, didn't pay attention in meetings or something bad came up in his personal life to be released the way he was because he wasn't any worse than the other DBs on the team (except for Ike).

Oviedo
03-02-2011, 11:52 AM

I still think Burnett had to have done something off the field that caused him to be released. He certainly showed promise when he played and he was very successful in college. Either he couldn't learn the D, didn't pay attention in meetings or something bad came up in his personal life to be released the way he was because he wasn't any worse than the other DBs on the team (except for Ike).

I don't think so. Burnett was a very high character guy here at UCF. I just think that the Steelers were so concerend about special teams they took the safe route with Madison to the detriment of our secondary.

I think Burnett will be successful with the Giants and will work his way into a nickle role on their good defense. I also think we will see him returning punts and kicks for them.

The thing that burns me about this is that we kept two inferior DBs in Madison and Lewis when we let Burnett go. I would have rather given Burnett the chance to improve on special teams because he is already a better DB than both those players.

grotonsteel
03-02-2011, 11:52 AM

Aaron Williams looked a lot bigger than I thought he would. Dude's upper body looked like a linebacker. I'm just a bit pensive about taking a guy who wore the same number as Sweed in Austin.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/249/836/91191511_display_image.jpg?1275958220 http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/ap_photo/20110301/all/l5050532.jpg

Aaron Williams played a lot like a Safety than a CB at Texas. Longhorns played with 5 Dbs, 3 safeties + 2 CB. I maybe wrong but that's what i heard.

SteelStallion
03-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Does that improve his stock? That is, you draft him as a corner with the full intention that he can be good if not great- worst case senerio if it doesn't work out you have one helluva safety?

D Rock
03-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Maybe this scares teams enough that Dowling falls to the third. I also read that Brandon Harris looked great in all the drills. How do you all think he fits for the steelers?

Dee Dub
03-02-2011, 12:57 PM
When did getting hurt in one season become a red flag? Football is a physical sport. A violent sport. There are years when players will get hurt. I see Ras-I Dowling as having played 4 years at Virginia and having been hurt one out of those 4 years. That too me isn’t a red flag.

SteelStallion
03-02-2011, 01:13 PM
All I know is what Mayock said on TV. And literally he no sooner made the comment when the kid pulled up in his 40 grabbing his hammy.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
When did getting hurt in one season become a red flag? Football is a physical sport. A violent sport. There are years when players will get hurt. I see Ras-I Dowling as having played 4 years at Virginia and having been hurt one out of those 4 years. That too me isn’t a red flag.

Dee...I was in love with the kid before this too. But having a 2nd round grade and playing only 5 games you senior year because of injuries, one of which was this hammy, it isn't good when you come to the combine after months away from the game and you pull up lame on your first act of physical activity. Dowling ended up missing every workout at the combine where questions needed to be answered.

Look at this in comparison to this. A very good starting CB in the last year of a rookie deal ends up playing only 8 games out of the season. His previous years he was relatively injury free. He misses time all year with nagging knee and hamstring injuries. Upon his return at the end of the season, he ends up fracturing his ankle. The next year when he is a free agent, he visits a club to do a workout. On the first run of his workout, he pulls up lame with a hammy. Do you discount his last year and pay him top dollar to join your team? One thing considered in this scenario is the player has a body of work in the NFL to go back on when he was healthy. Dowling doesn't even have that to show, just his collegiate career as his resume. You have to see the risk of burning a 2nd rounder on him.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-02-2011, 03:28 PM
madison was more valuable to last years success than joe freaking burnett would have been.

does anyone remember our coverage units in 2009?

NJ-STEELER
03-02-2011, 03:28 PM
i'm assuming he's still going to have his pro day. no?

NJ-STEELER
03-02-2011, 03:31 PM
madison was more valuable to last years success than joe freaking burnett.

does anyone remember our coverage units in 2009?

i think thats why he was released. he wasnt a good special teamer. and being a reserve DB, you have to play ST. Tackling wasnt a strength of his either

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
i'm assuming he's still going to have his pro day. no?

His Pro day is scheduled for 3/17. He has a shot a getting healthy before that. Still, to me, the chin rubbing started pulling up lame at the combine. That's my opinion and I have heard some that share the same as well as some say he needs his pro day to erase concerns. We will see.

hawaiiansteel
03-08-2011, 02:53 AM
2011 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Ras-I Dowling

by Matt McGuire

http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/RDowling.jpg

Ras-I Dowling, 6-2/200

Cornerback

Virginia

Strengths:
Elite height and body frame for a corner
Can run stride for stride with receivers down field
Shows burst to close
Knack for jumping routes; instinctive
Physical on line of scrimmage; nice hands
Very athletic
Great feet and balance
Takes proper angles in run support
Fluid hips
Comfortable in press coverage
Shows awareness in zone
Mirrors receivers well
Highly competitive
Will take on a block

Weaknesses:
Lapses in concentration
Could improve form tackling
A little too high in backpedal
Must locate ball more precisely; might lack some vision
Occasionally looks sluggish coming out of breaks

Summary: Dowling has the physical traits to be a starting corner in the NFL and I love his competitive attitude. However, he needs better coaching at the next level, and if someone can perfect his technique, he could be a playmaker. Looks like a first-round talent.

Player Comparison: Ike Taylor. Taylor and Dowling have great size, athleticism, and the competitive attitude you love to see.

http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingr ... owling.php (http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010rdowling.php)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-08-2011, 11:01 AM

Well Dee, I will give him until I see how his proday goes. If he does EVERYTHING at his proday with no hamstring issues...Then I will pull for him. If he is 100% healed with over two weeks to heal...Then perhaps the "mumblings" of Dowling's agent pulling his hamstring might make sense. The question of his straight line speed was erased with one run of his 40. What better what better way to gain attention again then put up a good 40 and say " Now come see me at my proday." A risky move but it does take away a comparison table.

Now if he runs in 4.4's at his proday, with a 36"+ vertical, 10' + broad jump, stays below 4.10 20 shuttle, stays around 11.00 60 shuttle, and stays between 6.5-6.9 3 cone...I'm all in again. The 40 isn't what is most important to me. I want to see a nice vertical and the shuttle & cone times are the most important along with the position drills. I want to see his ability to get up for the ball and change direction. I went back to watch some highlights now that we have measurables for his competition. Dowling does often look like he is coasting so I see where the questions of his speed came in. However, he rarely is out of position to make a play on the ball and the "coasting" can be attributed to a gear down to stay in position if his straight line speed is really that good. The difference will be in the change of direction drills & position workouts now. If he looks good coming out of his backpedal and turning his hips...And his measurables are there...I'm back in. But if the workout is limited because of his hammy or the measurables aren't there...I will pass. Unfortunately for the Steelers, if everything goes well...He may not be around at the end of round 2.

I also see the interest in Burton from the Steelers. He needs an over the top proday for me to like him. I'm not a big fan of his right now. He misses alot of tackles when he is playing off and that doesn't fit well in the Steelers scheme. He finds himself out of position often and that will be exposed on the next level. I wish I could see his whole body of work because the limited highlights I can see doesn't speak well. Of course, the Steelers have access to all that and perhaps his whole body of work looks better than the Pitt & Boise State games.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Path to the Draft: April 4, 2011

Mike Mayock: All the measurables checked out with Ras-I Dowling. People think he's every bit as gifted as Chris Cook.

http://www.walterfootball.com/pathtothe ... 1_0404.php (http://www.walterfootball.com/pathtothedraft2011_0404.php)

focosteeler
04-05-2011, 11:46 PM
is he one of the teams pre draft visits?

Chadman
04-06-2011, 12:09 AM
"We always want size, we always want speed, we always want athleticism, we always want toughness, we always want ball skills and productivity," said Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations.

So...Aaron Williams at #31 then?

hawaiiansteel
04-08-2011, 06:55 PM
And now for my Steelers mock draft:

Round 1 - Ras I Dowling, CB, Virginia

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/693216/ras-i_dowling_medium.jpg

6’1", 198 lbs
4.46 40, 19 bench,
139 tackles, 8 int, 3 FF, 27 PBU

OK, hear me out on this one before you go crazy. I am assuming here that Muhammed Wilkerson, Pouncey, Phil Taylor and the top tackles will be gone. Ras I Dowling is being call injury prone because of a few leg injuries this season. Before the season started he was considered the top CB prospect in the nation and a top 10 lock. Folks, his play didn’t drop, and for anyone that has ever had an ankle injury, continuing to play often results in other leg injuries from your body compensating to protect the injured part. He is a shutdown corner with a great size/speed combination. As a DB Coach I can tell you, he has great hips, great ball skills (as indicated by his interceptions and PBU) and more importantly is the most physical corner in the draft and an eventual successor to Ike as our #1 CB. With his Pro Day workout he won’t last past 34 and is a steal at 31, much like Heath Miller was. One hiccup to this is if Tomlin and company decide to draft young like Timmons, Holmes, etc. Then a possible young Athletic Freak would be ILB Martez Wilson. But I feel Dowling is BPA here.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... nd-my-mock (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/4/8/2098019/behind-the-steelcage-why-i-dislike-brandon-harris-and-my-mock)