PDA

View Full Version : PG: Team likely to look at CB early in draft

PSU_dropout43
02-26-2011, 02:38 AM
Team likely to look at cornerback early in draft
By Gerry Dulac

INDIANAPOLIS -- Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said the three deepest positions in the NFL draft are cornerback, offensive tackle and wide receiver, which means the Steelers "can get quality at those positions" in the first three rounds.

Of the three, cornerback is the area the Steelers most likely will target in those rounds, especially the first. And Colbert said there are more good corners because so many teams in college football run the spread offense.

"Spread offenses are going to be countered with, for lack of a better term, spread defenses, which is three down linemen and five linebackers or three linebackers and two hybrid linebackers/safeties and the secondary. So there's more defensive back types," Colbert said at the NFL Scouting Combine.

The Steelers had to play a lot of nickel and dime defensive packages late in the regular season and postseason, especially in the Super Bowl against quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' four-wide receiver sets. The Packers repeatedly picked on cornerback Bryant McFadden and also threw to wide receiver Greg Jennings whenever he lined in the slot away from Ike Taylor.

"You're going to be in nickel or dime more now and going forward, I'm sure, than we were in the past.

"You're only going to be able to dress four or five corners, so you've got to hope that they're quality and can help you win. You're not going to change the makeup of your team drastically, other than to get the best players that you can."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11057/11 ... z1F2ofPr6n (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11057/1128204-66.stm#ixzz1F2ofPr6n)

hawaiiansteel
02-26-2011, 03:34 AM
but why would we need to draft a CB when we have BMac, Willie Gay and Anthony Madison as our #2, #3 and #4 CBs? :roll:

Shawn
02-26-2011, 12:15 PM
I think the problem the Steelers will face is drafting at 31. I'm under the assumption that the DBs left by the bottom of the first will be questionable 1st rounders at best. Guys like Harris and Williams are not clear cut first rounders. I know some believe Harris to be more of a low second rounder. But, I do think the Steelers may find value at the bottom of the second at DB. With Colon likely leaving, I think the Steelers will find their value at OT. If an athletic guy like Sherrod is there, I think they would be tempted to take him even over Pouncey (not that I believe he will be there). I'm coming around to the notion that we will find our best value on the OL in the first and secondary in the second. I would not be sad at all to see us draft

1) Sherrod
2) Dowling

steeler_george
02-26-2011, 12:52 PM
I think the problem the Steelers will face is drafting at 31. I'm under the assumption that the DBs left by the bottom of the first will be questionable 1st rounders at best. Guys like Harris and Williams are not clear cut first rounders. I know some believe Harris to be more of a low second rounder. But, I do think the Steelers may find value at the bottom of the second at DB. With Colon likely leaving, I think the Steelers will find their value at OT. If an athletic guy like Sherrod is there, I think they would be tempted to take him even over Pouncey (not that I believe he will be there). I'm coming around to the notion that we will find our best value on the OL in the first and secondary in the second. I would not be sad at all to see us draft

1) Sherrod
2) Dowling

:Agree

I think you are 100% correct, although DB is more of a need, this draft is loaded with legit LT/RT that are projected to fall in reach or ay pick 31. Can we trade back from the first and still land a legit Tackle? With some one reaching for a player, one of the tackles might drop that much.

Yea, that Dowling dude is starting to grow on me, from what I have been reading.

grotonsteel
02-26-2011, 01:02 PM

1) Sherrod
2) Dowling

I think you are 100% correct, although DB is more of a need, this draft is loaded with legit LT/RT that are projected to fall in reach or ay pick 31. Can we trade back from the first and still land a legit Tackle? With some one reaching for a player, one of the tackles might drop that much.

Yea, that Dowling dude is starting to grow on me, from what I have been reading.

Not sure this is a correct thread maybe we can have sticky about combine details.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Com ... day-2.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Combine-notes-day-2.html)

Southern Cal OT Tyron Smith admitted that he did play at 285-pounds this past year. He said he met with the Steelers, Browns and Saints and is anticipating repping 225 pounds 35 times this week.

Tyron Smith-(36 3/8" arm length) ,Bench Press - 29. He has his weight now upto 307 lbs at combine. He will be Top-10 pick.

• The Steelers also met with Florida OC Mike Pouncey. BTW Mike Pouncey said he wants to play Center.

Anyone wanting to draft Marcus Cannon in Rd 2 i think he will be gone before 2-31. I need to see how he does in drill but physically he looks like a big ugly RG to me.

Marcus Cannon 6'5", 358 lbs, 34 arms 33 reps on the bench.

NJ-STEELER
02-26-2011, 02:01 PM
as a reference.

Bmac was also drafted at the end of the 2nd round

can we afford to wait another 32 picks to get better help in the secomndary?

grotonsteel
02-26-2011, 02:07 PM
as a reference.

If Steelers are not getting a CB in Rd 1 they better snatch someone from free agency. I don't have faith in Rd 3 CB.

Jonathan Joseph,Carlos Rogers or Richard Marshall would be my target in FA.

hawaiiansteel
02-26-2011, 02:19 PM
If Steelers are not getting a CB in Rd 1 they better snatch someone from free agency. I don't have faith in Rd 3 CB.

unfortunately, if there is a lockout we won't be able to sign any other team's FAs and can only rely on the draft to acquire help at CB.

Steelers’ emphasis on draft helpful in unsure times

By Vic Carucci |
Published: February 26th, 2011

INDIANAPOLIS — A potential lockout figures to disrupt the player-personnel dealings of some teams more than others.

One team that isn’t expected to be impacted all that much is the Steelers.

Why?

“We’re not big players (in free agency),” Kevin Colbert, the Steelers’ director of football operations, said Friday at the NFL Scouting Combine. “So it’s really business as usual for us.”

Instead, the Steelers heavily rely on the draft to keep themselves in Super Bowl contention. That’s good for them because in the event of a lockout, there wouldn’t be any free-agent signings or trades or any other player-personnel business, leaving the draft as the only means of acquiring new talent until a collective bargaining agreement is reached and free agency and trading can resume.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/02/26/steeler ... ure-times/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/02/26/steelers-emphasis-on-draft-helpful-in-unsure-times/)

Shawn
02-26-2011, 02:27 PM
as a reference.

For the 2011 season, I don't see us going after any big name DB and no rookie available at 31 will be ready this season as a starter. Any way you look at it, our secondary is slop for at least one more season.

UNLESS...

Butler develops...and develops quick. Honestly, I think he is the only young guy on the roster with a significant future with the Steelers. Gay and Lewis may eventually get it but I'm not holding my breath.

steeler_george
02-26-2011, 09:01 PM
I will admit, I am very confused about this draft. Some reports, I hear that it is deep with tackles, cbs, and dl. All 3 of theses postions are just as valueable as QB to me. Now on which direction we go is the million dollar question. Do we go for rebuilding or fortifing our OL, CB situations of do we just go for BPA. Do we draft a raw stud like Timmons, Hoods with the eye on the future ( 2 years time before make impact).

As we seen this past year, we are a VERY GOOD club, that can over come its weekeness, but those weeknesses can be exposed on any given Sunday.

I hope they draft for value rather than need, to keep the power house of talent flowing on this team. I hope they do solify our OL this year, Ben is not getting younger and with Mendl being more of a factor of time of position it would keep our D fresher and less exposed, but then again it is year we select defense 1st round with the value of need at CB and DL. ( If you noticed we USUALLY alternate 1st round picks between the d and o.)

In all reality it is who is there in reach and who is still there when we select. I would not be disapointed if the trade back in the first and then trade up in the second to get a combo of Marcus Cannon, Dowling, Rodney Hudson, or RAHIM MOORE. Some where someone is going to drop in the draft. And then again I would not be disapointed if we aggresively go after a player such as Pouncy or the top CBs in the draft.

**** sorry for the typos and long sentences, just got home from the bars****

steeler_george
02-26-2011, 09:05 PM
as a reference.

For the 2011 season, I don't see us going after any big name DB and no rookie available at 31 will be ready this season as a starter. Any way you look at it, our secondary is slop for at least one more season.

UNLESS...

Butler develops...and develops quick. Honestly, I think he is the only young guy on the roster with a significant future with the Steelers. Gay and Lewis may eventually get it but I'm not holding my breath.

steelz09
02-26-2011, 10:08 PM
The problem with Lewis is every time he's in the game, it seems like he does something stupid like a bad penalty.

Gay will never be any better than a #3. Even McFadden doesn't get AS abused as Gay did in the #2 role.

I want to draft someone that has playmaking ability, speed, and 1 on 1 coverage ability. That is why I think Brandon Harris should be considered at 1.31 if Pouncey is not available.

hawaiiansteel
02-28-2011, 03:04 AM
this is why I took Jimmy Smith out of my mock draft, prior drug use is not something the Steelers are usually interested in...ironically, another Smith (Marvel) is the only one I can think of.

Colorado CB Boasts He’s Better Than Nnamdi Asomugha At Combine

By Chuck Carroll»Football News Now Staff Writer
February 27, 2011

Jimmy Smith has yet to play a single down in the NFL, but he is already drawing comparisons to one of the game’s elite cornerbacks.

The Colorado product is being compared to Oakland Raiders free agent Nnamdi Asomugha and he’s just fine with that. In fact, he thinks he’s a little better than the perennial Pro Bowl cornerback.

“I like the comparison, he’s a shutdown corner in the NFL. I mean, I like the comparison a lot,” Smith said, per . “I think I have better ball skills than he does, though.”

It’s clear the youngster isn’t lacking confidence heading into his rookie season. When asked to describe himself Smith didn’t hold back either.

“I’m a big, athletic, physical corner, I love to press, I have great speed, great size, great ball skills. I’m a shutdown corner,” he said.

In watching Smith’s demeanor at the podium it’s clear that although he doesn’t lack confidence, he also genuinely believes in himself.

Perhaps his Asomugha comments will be blown out of proportion by some media. The honest take is that he was asked a question and answered it to the best of his ability with no disrespect meant.

He also paid homage to former Raiders DB Charles Woodson during his interview saying he was “one of the best corners in the game” and somebody he could look up to.

Some NFL scouts have concerns about Smith transitioning to the pro game according to Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post. Their doubts are compounded by a failed drug test in 2007.

Smith will interview with 28 teams during his time at the combine.

So what will he tell the teams when asked about drug use at college? He’s going to talk about his growth both as a person and player.

“I will tell them I’m a great person,” he said. “I was young when I first got to college. I made young mistakes, but I grew as a person. I grew as a football player.”

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2011/col ... t-combine/ (http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2011/colorado-cb-boasts-hes-better-than-nnamdi-asomugha-at-combine/)

grotonsteel
02-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Drug use in college.???....hmm...i think its a huge issue.

Oviedo
02-28-2011, 03:06 PM

1) Sherrod
2) Dowling

Not sure this is a correct thread maybe we can have sticky about combine details.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Com ... day-2.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Combine-notes-day-2.html)

Southern Cal OT Tyron Smith admitted that he did play at 285-pounds this past year. He said he met with the Steelers, Browns and Saints and is anticipating repping 225 pounds 35 times this week.

Tyron Smith-(36 3/8" arm length) ,Bench Press - 29. He has his weight now upto 307 lbs at combine. He will be Top-10 pick.

• The Steelers also met with Florida OC Mike Pouncey. BTW Mike Pouncey said he wants to play Center.

Anyone wanting to draft Marcus Cannon in Rd 2 i think he will be gone before 2-31. I need to see how he does in drill but physically he looks like a big ugly RG to me.

Marcus Cannon 6'5", 358 lbs, 34 arms 33 reps on the bench.

Cannon will be a early Round 2 pick before all is said and done. he is showing very good athleticism for a man his size.

Because the CB class is so deep he may have value at 1.31 if the other OL are all gone.

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
The Importance of Shopping at the Corner Market

by maryrose on Mar 2, 2011

Since the 2006 NFL Draft, there have been 78 defensive backs chosen in the first and second rounds of those five Drafts. Thirty-one of the NFL's 32 teams have taken (or traded for) at least one of those players. The lone NFL team not in that mix is the Pittsburgh Steelers. Twenty-four teams, three-quarters of the league, have selected more than one defensive back in the first two rounds of the last five Drafts. Moreover, the seven teams selecting just one blue-chip DB have also added a key free agent, something else Pittsburgh has not done (since Ryan Clark).

Interestingly, the two teams with the most of those 78 defensive backs, five apiece, are the New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints. I guess when you have Tom Brady and Drew Brees, elite quarterbacks in prolific passing offenses, you had better understand the necessity of shielding against your own strategies.

I am not implying that the Steelers have erred with this omission (we have been to a few Super Bowls); though it does stand out when you are the only one of 32. (It pains me every time I think of the 2007 Draft where the Jets leapfrogged Pittsburgh to grab Derrelle Revis.) What I am implying is that multiple upgrades are needed, right here and right now.

The options are as follows:

Re-sign Ivan Taylor.

Be confident that Crezdon Butler or Keenan Lewis can become a Tramon Williams-type, who also didn't start in his first three years.

Draft a corner or safety in the first two rounds, even if it means moving up to get an impact player.

Sign a free agent defensive back who is an upgrade over what we have.

The Troy Polamalu component is another interesting factor in the equation. To begin with, Polamalu is like an expensive European sports car - beautiful performance when all the parts are in tip-top shape, but anything less renders him a Chevy Malibu. The stronger the entire defensive backfield, the more the Steelers can absorb a less-than-perfect Troy. In addition, better cornerbacks allow Polamalu more freedom to use his instincts and make signature plays. When Troy is busy covering for cornerback shortcomings, his impact is greatly diminished. The Steelers can add two birds with one stone by upgrading their cornerback situation. Improving one position actually improves two, by allowing Troy to be Troy.

During last year's offseason, Art Rooney issued two simple mandates to Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin - run the ball more efficiently when we have to, and get the young players ready quicker. The Steelers improved in both those areas. I'm sure that each of us dreams from time to time that we could be Art Rooney. I do, and if I were, I would hand the above list to Colbert and Tomlin and tell them to make two or three of the items happen. Demanding all four is overkill, but I would insist on two or three. Sure, we have other areas of concern. The lines on both sides of the ball are always a concern. But if I am Art Rooney, and maybe someday in some heaven I will be, I am walking around the complex every day with that list above and I am talking to my people about making things happen. If the Steelers go at it with a hearty degree of resolve, this team will be as good as any to win a Super Bowl in the next couple years.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/