PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Begin Talks With Taylor

drprwnap
02-25-2011, 11:35 AM
INDIANAPOLIS -- On the first day of the NFL Scouting Combine, Kevin Colbert said cornerback is no more a priority for the Steelers than any other position they might address in the draft.

But there is some sense of urgency about the position because the Steelers would like to re-sign their top cornerback, Ike Taylor, before the collective bargaining agreement expires March 4 and a lockout by the NFL owners ensues.

And they already have had what Colbert termed "preliminary discussions" on a new contract with Taylor, who is an unrestricted free agent.

The Steelers elected not use the transition tag on Taylor, which would have paid him the average of the top 10 cornerbacks in the league, or $11,817,000, in 2011. They had until 4 p.m. Thursday to do so.

But they would like to sign him to a new contract because the position would spring more holes without him.

"We're really just approaching this one guy at a time," Colbert said.

Even if the Steelers re-sign Taylor, who will turn 31 in May and is coming off arguably his best season in his eight-year career, it shouldn't impact what would appear to be a need for a top cornerback in the draft.

Colbert, though, wouldn't go that far. Aside from quarterback, he said every position is open to be addressed with their No. 1 pick, not just cornerback.

"We're not going to limit ourselves to one position," Colbert said. "We'll see where we stand draft day as far as what else we were able to achieve.

"Any position is open to our potential drafting. I mean that sincerely. I don't know where we're going to be in two months."

Re-signing Taylor would be part of the process. So would right tackle Willie Colon, another unrestricted free agent who missed all of last season.

Colbert said the Steelers want to re-sign Colon, whom they considered their best offensive lineman after the 2009 season. But Joe Linta, Colon's agent, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette last week there is little chance of his client returning to the Steelers.

Impacting that decision could be the future of right tackle Flozell Adams, whom Colbert said is in the "evaluating phase of whether he wants to continue to play." Adams, who will be 36 May 18, enters the final year of a two-year, $7.5 million contract he signed before the start of training camp last season.

"First of all, you don't know where Flozell is, whether he's going to continue or not, so you have to just continue the conversations with everybody," Colbert said. "There's so many unknowns that you can't specifically say, 'We're going to do this or that' because we haven't honestly approached guys in formal conversations."

The lone exception is Taylor. And, of course, outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who already has signed a one-year franchise tender that will pay him approximately $10 million -- the average salary of the top five linebackers in 2010 -- next season.

Colbert said the Steelers have told Woodley, who has 39 sacks in four seasons, they want to sign him to a long-term contract. They said much the same thing last year, too, when they placed the franchise tag on kicker Jeff Reed, who never was signed to a new contract. Reed was released later in the season.

"Both he and his agent are aware that, at some point, we want to do a long-term deal with him," Colbert said. "The rest of the guys ... you know how we operate -- we're going to step back and say, 'OK, we know we've got this with LaMarr.' Now, what could potentially happen, we don't know yet."

Colbert's reference was to the possibility of a lockout, which could occur next Friday, but also what might be outlined in a new collective bargaining agreement.

"Usually, at this time of year, you're evaluating free agency, the class," Colbert said. "Right now, we just evaluated the league and we'll react accordingly, and our pro scouts have done that throughout the year. But, really, our focus had just been on this draft because it's going to happen exactly as it has been, so we've got to give our full attention to the draft process."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11056/11 ... z1Ez9NjWgU (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11056/1127836-66.stm#ixzz1Ez9NjWgU)

Oviedo
02-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Ike is a must sign. Other CBs are crap.

hawaiiansteel
02-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Harris: Taylor loss could cripple Steelers

By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 26, 2011

Get to know Keenan Lewis. He has 12 career tackles and no interceptions in his two NFL seasons. He's a candidate to start at right cornerback if the Steelers don't re-sign unrestricted free agent Ike Taylor.

So are nickel back William Gay and Crezdon Butler, who has one tackle in four games.

That's the risk the Steelers are taking in their game of chicken with Taylor. In declining to make Taylor a transition player by Thursday's deadline, the Steelers will allow him to enter the free agent market if they are unable to sign him by March 3.

The Steelers no longer have exclusive rights to Taylor, who has never missed a game because of injury. As a result, the Steelers will be forced to negotiate against other teams.

The AFC champs traditionally offer contracts to key players before they enter the final year of their existing deal. It's a strategy that allows them to set the pay scale for their free agents.

Deviating from that strategy might cost them one of their best players.

The Steelers rarely lose control during contract negotiations. This appears to be one of those occasions. Taylor is represented by Joel Segal, whose client list includes Michael Vick, Reggie Bush, Chris Johnson, Santonio Holmes, LaRon Landry, Percy Harvin and Steelers Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.

In 2010, Business Insider Law Review recognized Segal as the ninth-most powerful sports agent in America. Segal was one of only two agents to represent multiple first-round draft picks each year from 2006-10. Segal is so good that he got a six-year, $54 million contract for cornerback DeAngelo Hall with the Washington Redskins after the Oakland Raiders released Hall less than a year into a seven-year, $70 million deal.

"This is a good time for me to be a free agent," Taylor said. "Teams (have seen) my tape. They know my consistency. What I'm doing now, I've been doing for a long time. People are finally paying attention."

The price tag for Taylor increased this week when Oakland re-signed little-known cornerback Stanford Routt for $31.5 million over three years. The deal includes $20 million guaranteed in the first two years.

"I think the front office has taken him for granted and thinks it can get a hometown discount," said Dave-Te' Thomas, the director of operations for Scouting Services Inc., a company used by 27 of the NFL's 32 teams. "Let Taylor walk, and watch the (New York) Giants, (Houston) Texans, Carolina (Panthers) and New Orleans (Saints) get in a bidding war for him."

Thomas, who also is the league's official biographer and authors the NFL Draft Report, introduced Taylor to scouts coming out of Louisiana-Lafayette. Thomas' studies of every team and his assessment of Taylor's game and its relation to the Steelers tells him the franchise made a mistake when it permitted Taylor to become a free agent.

"Who outside of Darrelle Revis, Charles Woodson and a handful of others can say they have the physical presence in the secondary that Pittsburgh had with Taylor?'' said Thomas, who also mentioned the Arizona Cardinals and New England Patriots as possible suitors. "The success of the linebackers is evident, but having Taylor to cover the underneath areas and play within the box as those linebackers penetrated the line of scrimmage actually gave Pittsburgh a fifth linebacker on the field.

"Without Taylor, looking at their present roster, you have a big guy in Lewis, but honestly he's better suited in the zone as a nickel or safety than (outside). Gay and (Bryant) McFadden? Both proved how lacking they are in the bump-and-run against Green Bay in the Super Bowl.

"With the size of the receivers in this league, you need an intimidator in the secondary. Yes, the media loves interceptions, and Taylor has hands like he hits — like a rock — but his ability to punish the opponent's top receiver is what he brings to the table. If you look at the cornerbacks in this year's draft, I dare anyone to find me someone that can step in and replace Taylor, especially right away, considering where the Steelers will pick in the first round (No. 31 overall)."

Taylor defended Green Bay's Greg Jennings so well early in Super Bowl XLV that the Packers were forced to move Jennings inside to get him open. Even though Taylor normally plays on the outside, the coaching staff eventually moved Taylor into the slot opposite Jennings because the Steelers didn't have another cornerback capable of covering Jennings.

By doing that, the Steelers took away Taylor's ability to blitz from the outside, as he did against the New York Jets in the AFC Championship Game.

If Taylor leaves, and it's a possibility, the Steelers not only will not lose their best cover cornerback against outside receivers but also their top cover man in the slot. It would be a blow for a team without a legitimate replacement.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1F5LuV8RM (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_724754.html#ixzz1F5LuV8RM)

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Clark: Ike Taylor Wants To Come Back

March 1, 2011 12:25 PM

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/108485864_8.jpg?w=420

(Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The FAN) – Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark joined the FAN Morning Show to talk about a variety of issues surrounding the team and the NFL.
Clark is excited to hear that teammate Hines Ward will be on the cast of “Dancing with the Stars” this year. He thinks Ward has a good chance at winning because he has shown his moves at practice and in the locker room.

Currently, the Steelers are in negotiations with cornerback Ike Taylor.

Clark said, from what he knows, Taylor wants to come back to the Steelers and he should be compensated for his time with the team.

With the March 3 deadline fast approaching, Clark gives the FAN Morning Show an update on the current collective bargaining negotiations. He said there has been no talk from the Players Association about extending the deadline as they have been negotiating in good faith to secure a deal before it.

Clark responded to criticism about his previous comments on the collective bargaining negotiations. Clark said the criticism doesn’t bother him, because he and the union are looking out for more than the superstar players.

He said the lockout won’t affect him financially, but it will affect the practice squad players and those that don’t make millions of dollars a year.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/03/ ... come-back/ (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/03/01/clark-ike-taylor-wants-to-come-back/)

Shawn
03-04-2011, 12:05 AM
I would imagine the Steelers have less of an issue with the amount Taylor is requesting per season than they would with the amount of years. It wouldn't shock me if Taylor wants in the neighborhood of 6 yrs/65 million. I would say the Steelers are more in the line of wanting 3 years/30 million.

Taylor should have been first priority...not Woodley. Woodley is terrific but I believe we could move on without him. But Taylor? Without Taylor we are not SB caliber.

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2011, 03:08 AM
It wouldn't shock me if Taylor wants in the neighborhood of 6 yrs/65 million. I would say the Steelers are more in the line of wanting 3 years/30 million.

just out of principle, I can't see Ike accepting one dollar less than Stanford Routt got from Crazy Al and the Raiders...(3 years, $31.5 million; $20 million guaranteed)

flippy
03-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Taylor has always been in phenomenal shape and is one of the most naturally gifted athletes this team has ever had. The team should be safe giving him a 5-6 year deal.

I know most guy's age is a concern. But I think Taylor is an exception to the rule. Even if he loses a step, he's still one of the elite speed guys in the NFL.

Shawn
03-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Taylor has always been in phenomenal shape and is one of the most naturally gifted athletes this team has ever had. The team should be safe giving him a 5-6 year deal.

I know most guy's age is a concern. But I think Taylor is an exception to the rule. Even if he loses a step, he's still one of the elite speed guys in the NFL.

Not with huge guarantees. Can you imagine having a year investment of 10-11 mil per with a DB who has lost a step? If given the choice...6 years or nothing we should still sign but I would much rather have him locked up for 3 and at 33 years old renegotiate a more reasonable 33 yr old contract.

flippy
03-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Not with huge guarantees. Can you imagine having a year investment of 10-11 mil per with a DB who has lost a step? If given the choice...6 years or nothing we should still sign but I would much rather have him locked up for 3 and at 33 years old renegotiate a more reasonable 33 yr old contract.

I think we could factor in his age now and potential decline and convince Ike to do a long term deal. With so many other premeire players coming up for new contracts soon, I'd try to get a finish your career now and play for a chance a multiple more SuperBowls.

calmkiller
03-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Technically yesterday was the deadline to get Ike to sign. If they wouldn't have extended it 24 hours then he would have been a free agent. Ed Bouchette posted today that he will become a free agent. IDK if that means we aren't negotiating anymore or what. Hopefully it just means we are still working on it.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-04-2011, 02:06 PM
I would imagine the Steelers have less of an issue with the amount Taylor is requesting per season than they would with the amount of years. It wouldn't shock me if Taylor wants in the neighborhood of 6 yrs/65 million. I would say the Steelers are more in the line of wanting 3 years/30 million.

Taylor should have been first priority...not Woodley. Woodley is terrific but I believe we could move on without him. But Taylor? Without Taylor we are not SB caliber.

I can see - and would be happy with - a nice compromise like 4 years. I honestly believe that they will resign him. He has stated on a number of occasions that he wants to come back and would be willing to sign below market to do so. The Steelers know his value and his fit in our system. Getting him anything below the going rate is just a bonus.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Technically yesterday was the deadline to get Ike to sign. If they wouldn't have extended it 24 hours then he would have been a free agent. Ed Bouchette posted today that he will become a free agent. IDK if that means we aren't negotiating anymore or what.

Doesn't sound good to me.

Hopefully it just means we are still working on it.

Hope so, but if he hits the open market, I think we can kiss Ike good-bye.

The "experts" on this board will undoubtedly come after you for saying that, but I agree.

hawaiiansteel
03-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Taylor had no intention to reach deal with Steelers before CBA deadline

Sat, Mar 5th, 2011 by DePaoli

Steelers Free Agency Buzz

The Pittsburgh Steelers, as expected, did not reach a deal with cornerback Ike Taylor before yesterday's deadline and once a new CBA is in place, the Steelers No. 1 cornerback will become a free agent.

Following a meeting between high powered agent Joel Segal and front office executive Omar Khan at the combine, what's been relayed to me for over a week now is that Taylor expressed to the Steelers that he has all intentions on testing the free agent market.

Those in the media calling Taylor re-signing with Pittsburgh a slam dunk due to Taylor wanting to stay in Pittsburgh, are said to be a "bit too optimistic" on that front.
The cornerback position has become a premium in the NFL with over 8 cornerbacks making at least $9 million in 2010 (including all bonuses).

So where does Taylors future in Pittsburgh stand?

In 2006, Taylor received a four year extension worth $22.5 million from the Steelers with $6.4 million in guarantees.

According to sources, Taylor is seeking over $10 million in guaranteed money on at least a four year deal and word around the league is that Taylor's camp believes at least two specific teams are prepared to make a "big run" at Taylor.

Leigh Bodden's four-year, $22 million agreement to remain with the New England Patriots last off-season, that included $10 million in guaranteed money and $14 million over the first two years of the deal, will just be the starting point for Taylor's camp.
One NFL agent predicted to me that Taylor will land a 4 year deal worth $24-$27 million with $12-$13 million in guaranteed money on the open market.

Just because free agency has been put on the back burner for now due to the CBA, doesn't mean tampering at the combine between agents and teams all of a sudden went away this off-season.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... ine/35800/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/taylor-had-no-intention-to-reach-deal-with-steelers-before-cba-deadline/35800/)

BradshawsHairdresser
03-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Looks like the Steelers botched this one.

He may never make the Pro-Bowl, but Taylor has been effective, and extremely durable.
He takes care of his body, and rarely misses action due to injury.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-05-2011, 11:21 PM
One NFL agent predicted to me that Taylor will land a 4 year deal worth $24-$27 million with $12-$13 million in guaranteed money on the open market.

If Ike got an offer for 4 years at $27M with $13M guaranteed (top end of this spectrum) then I would instantly offer to sign him to that deal.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-06-2011, 12:40 AM
And we didn't slap a transition tag on him because....?

hawaiiansteel
03-06-2011, 12:56 AM
And we didn't slap a transition tag on him because....?

putting the transition tag on Taylor meant that we would have had to pay him the average of the top 10 CBs in the NFL, or $11,817,000, in 2011.

fezziwig
03-06-2011, 11:09 AM
I know a lot of people knock Ike for not making the interceptions but don't allow that to be the benchmark of a good corner.

Remember the days of Dwayne Washington and Chad Scott ? They had their shares of picks that I recall but, couldn't cover a newborn.

Ike was a great sign when we drafted him and this team will be down the tubes without him.

Oviedo
03-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I know a lot of people knock Ike for not making the interceptions but don't allow that to be the benchmark of a good corner.

Remember the days of Dwayne Washington and Chad Scott ? They had their shares of picks that I recall but, couldn't cover a newborn.

Ike was a great sign when we drafted him and this team will be down the tubes without him.

I'd love two more Ike's with or without the INTs. He can at least cover man to man versus the other bums we have who can't cover a bed with a blanket.

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2011, 01:29 PM

If Ike got an offer for 4 years at $27M with $13M guaranteed (top end of this spectrum) then I would instantly offer to sign him to that deal.

:Agree

grotonsteel
03-06-2011, 01:46 PM

+1

fezziwig
03-08-2011, 09:53 AM

+1

X2

sentinel33
03-08-2011, 11:20 AM
I agree. 4 yr. deal for 27-30 Million with a 13-15 Million $ signing bonus. Thats where this probably will land. at least I hope so.