PDA

View Full Version : couple of colbert questions...

steelblood
02-25-2011, 10:46 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 24579.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_724579.html)

I like Colbert. I think he's done a good job. But, a couple of things from the above article strike me as a little strange.

First, Colbert suggests that the evaluation of draft-able talent was held back by the Super Bowl and that he waited until after the Super Bowl to begin meeting with the scouts. Why? What was he doing during the playoff run that prevented him from meeting with the scouts? He wasn't negotiating new contracts. He was not searching for pro level talent. Other than attending the games, I think it should have been business as usual for our GM.

Second, as one of the Steelers allotted sixty interviews at the combine, they interviewed Stefen Wisniewski. The article says that "the Steelers see Wisniewski as more of a center in the NFL, and they are set at the position with Maurkice Pouncey." This is strange to me. First, why waste one of your 60 interviews on a local kid (Central Catholic grad) that you can interview back at your facility and not have it count against your visit list? Why waste time interviewing someone you see as a center (unless that is a misdirection attempt)? It seems to me that this was a wasted opportunity. A small one, but it irks me nonetheless. This is an important draft. I'd be taking every opportunity I can to interview DBs, OTs, OGs, NTs, etc. Not a center (maybe pro G) whom we can have stop by any time.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-25-2011, 11:41 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_724579.html

I like Colbert. I think he's done a good job. But, a couple of things from the above article strike me as a little strange.

First, Colbert suggests that the evaluation of draft-able talent was held back by the Super Bowl and that he waited until after the Super Bowl to begin meeting with the scouts. Why? What was he doing during the playoff run that prevented him from meeting with the scouts? He wasn't negotiating new contracts. He was not searching for pro level talent. Other than attending the games, I think it should have been business as usual for our GM.

Second, as one of the Steelers allotted sixty interviews at the combine, they interviewed Stefen Wisniewski. The article says that "the Steelers see Wisniewski as more of a center in the NFL, and they are set at the position with Maurkice Pouncey." This is strange to me. First, why waste one of your 60 interviews on a local kid (Central Catholic grad) that you can interview back at your facility and not have it count against your visit list? Why waste time interviewing someone you see as a center (unless that is a misdirection attempt)? It seems to me that this was a wasted opportunity. A small one, but it irks me nonetheless. This is an important draft. I'd be taking every opportunity I can to interview DBs, OTs, OGs, NTs, etc. Not a center (maybe pro G) whom we can have stop by any time.

Just a guess on my part, but I would guess he meets with the scouts along with the coaches to evaluate the guys. It isn't all Colberts choice on who we take.

Oviedo
02-25-2011, 11:51 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_724579.html

I think there may be more interest in Wisniewski as a Guard than they may let on.

Crash
02-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Not all interviews count against the list. I think "local talent" does not apply to it.

sentinel33
02-25-2011, 02:15 PM
seeing as to how colbert is regarded as one of the best GM's in the game, i'm pretty comfortable giving him a very long leash these days. he's earned it. his track redord, while not perfect, does speak for itself. in colbert i trust.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-25-2011, 10:02 PM
I would take everything that any GM says right now with a huge grain of salt.