PDA

View Full Version : Why Why Why

Prowler
02-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Why did we release Thaddeus Gibson? This to me is one the biggest blunders under Mike Tomlin in 2010. You never give up a young player just for the chance that another injury prone player like Smith might be healthy enough to play.

It would have been better to have got rid of Tony Hills who never dresses for games or another useless guy like Arnaz Battle, IMO.

What really irritates me about this is we keep getting older on defense and we could have used more young talent among all the old timers on defense.

Yet, Tomlin keeps getting credit and can't do no wrong among all the peeps of Steeler nation. :roll:

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Yet, Tomlin keeps getting credit and can't do no wrong among all the peeps of Steeler nation. :roll:

you really are LVG, aren't you?

grotonsteel
02-24-2011, 05:55 PM

I don't know if Tomlin is a great X and O coach to be frank but in my book he was the "Coach of the year" last season.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-24-2011, 06:10 PM

I don't know if Tomlin is a great X and O coach to be frank but in my book he was the "Coach of the year" last season.

Tomlin did a fine job on the season, but I have to give COY to McCarthy.

Shawn
02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Gibson isn't Steeler material. As an OSU fan I seen much of the very athletic Gibson. The problem with Gibson is his lack of desire for physical play. You need OLBs who will lock horns not just run in space.

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Gibson isn't Steeler material. As an OSU fan I seen much of the very athletic Gibson. The problem with Gibson is his lack of desire for physical play. You need OLBs who will lock horns not just run in space.

:Agree

the mistake the Steelers made was not in letting Gibson go, but drafting him in the first place.

Shawn
02-24-2011, 09:09 PM

the mistake the Steelers made was not in letting Gibson go, but drafting him in the first place.

And you get a big blue ribbon for that post. :D

phillyesq
02-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Why did we release Thaddeus Gibson? This to me is one the biggest blunders under Mike Tomlin in 2010. You never give up a young player just for the chance that another injury prone player like Smith might be healthy enough to play.

It would have been better to have got rid of Tony Hills who never dresses for games or another useless guy like Arnaz Battle, IMO.

What really irritates me about this is we keep getting older on defense and we could have used more young talent among all the old timers on defense.

What, exactly, has Gibson done to merit this post?

NJ-STEELER
02-24-2011, 10:27 PM

be cheaper then woodley this year???

MaxAMillion
02-24-2011, 10:36 PM

There are also plenty of people who think Tomlin can't do anything right and should get credit for nothing. You will seem those people post regularly.

papillon
02-24-2011, 11:37 PM

Mike Tomlin made it perfectly clear in a recent interview that the reason Smith was not IRd was, so that, his experience, locker room presence and leadership stayed on the sideline, in the weight room and in the stadium. He was used as a mentor to Hood who was proving himself to be an outstanding player and quick study.

Sometimes there's more to a player than actually putting on the pads.

Pappy

Snatch98
02-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Why, why, why is this being brought up right now? The Steelers cut Gibson MONTHS ago. Troll, troll, troll.

hawaiiansteel
02-25-2011, 01:28 AM

And you get a big blue ribbon for that post. :D

yay! :Clap :tt2

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2gHfMK0OmZw/TSyw6KcbUJI/AAAAAAAABys/0Am3fZ260ps/s1600/blue-ribbon-logo.jpg

snarky
02-25-2011, 09:47 AM
If releasing a fourth round draft pick because you think a cornerpiece of your defense will rehab from injury and become available in the playoffs is his biggest mistake of the season (or one of his biggest), then I would say he did a damn fine job this year.

Oviedo
02-25-2011, 10:10 AM

He had a whole 3 tackles. All Star in the making.

I guess 3 tackles are enough for a moron to criticize a very good coach.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Last I checked, Gibson didn't exactly tear up the NFL after he left the 'Burgh...

Does anyone doubt that we could find someone just as good as Gibson--or better--in the fourth round of this year's draft?

Non-issue. Move on.

Oviedo
02-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Last I checked, Gibson didn't exactly tear up the NFL after he left the 'Burgh...

Does anyone doubt that we could find someone just as good as Gibson--or better--in the fourth round of this year's draft?

Non-issue. Move on.

I have zero doubts. Gibson was a project nothing more. He could have been Woodley or Bruce Davis.

There will be another 50 project like players in this draft just like Gibson. His loss is meaningless except for trolls to write about.

Shawn
02-25-2011, 04:00 PM

Non-issue. Move on.

I have zero doubts. Gibson was a project nothing more. He could have been Woodley or Bruce Davis.

There will be another 50 project like players in this draft just like Gibson. His loss is meaningless except for trolls to write about.

He plays much more like Davis than Woodley. He is a speed, finesse, space player. With an open lane to the QB, he can close with the best of them. I think he would have been pretty good in coverage as well with some good coaching. With that said, he was rarely going to win a battle with an OT who locked him up. He would struggle wading through bodies to get to the ball. I have to assume on the pro level those tackles just absolutely swallowed him up. There is a reason when a guy with that kind of athletic ability falls to the 4th round.