PDA

View Full Version : Who's The 20 year old Super Athlete in the Draft?

flippy
02-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Any thoughts? This is likely the guy we'll be drafting in the 1st round. Wonder who's gonna be available. I haven't done my research yet.

snarky
02-24-2011, 12:18 PM
It will be a highly evolved K/P/CB/LT/OC.

steelblood
02-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Highly athletic 20 years olds the Steelers would have a shot at in the 1st round include...

Tyron Smith OT USC
Ryan Williams RB VT
Mikel Leshoure RB Illinois

I don't think any of them fill a need so I'd say they are very unlikely.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Highly athletic 20 years olds the Steelers would have a shot at in the 1st round include...

Tyron Smith OT USC
Ryan Williams RB VT

You don't think Tyron Smith would fill a need? Especially with the team not looking to re-sign Colon and Flozell Adams on the cusp of AARP membership?

grotonsteel
02-24-2011, 01:03 PM

Tyron Smith OT USC
Ryan Williams RB VT

You don't think Tyron Smith would fill a need? Especially with the team not looking to re-sign Colon and Flozell Adams on the cusp of AARP membership?

Steelers will definitely be looking at Tyron Smith from USC.

He is athletic and young. Also one must not forget the Kiffin connection. Tomlin definitely must be having inside info on Tyron Smith.

I don't think Tyron Smith will be available at 31 though.

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Smith also played OT at USC at 285 lbs. Although he has been trying to gain weight to break the 300 lb barrier at the combine weigh-in this weekend, he would still be undersized considering the behemoths we tend to prefer on our OL. Tyron would fit better on a team that runs an Alex-Gibbs-like zone scheme that values smaller, more athletic linemen. This guy just looks too thin for us:

http://www.nfldraftgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Tyron-Smith.jpg

steelblood
02-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Tyron Smith does not fill an immediate need for the Steelers. He is not a RT at this point in his career. He is not strong or physical enough to succeed there. He is a LT only. That said, Smith just weighed in at 307 at the combine. So he has shown that he can carry more weight. I'm not sure he can keep it on for an entire season, but if he can and he can get stronger, he'll be able to play on either side eventually in his career.

flippy
02-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Smith might be a nice pickup if he's there. But I have a hard time believing his talent will drop him that far with all of his potential.

With him being so small at this point, the Steelers would be a perfect situation where he'd have time to develop behind, Max, Hotel, and Scott. And possibly bulk up for year 2.

Oviedo
02-25-2011, 10:14 AM
I would be very disappointed if we picked Smith. The guy won't ever be able to maintain the weight to match up against some of the behemouths he would have to face in the AFC North.

We need power guys who can punch holes versus finesse guys.

SteelCrazy
02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Smith also played OT at USC at 285 lbs. Although he has been trying to gain weight to break the 300 lb barrier at the combine weigh-in this weekend, he would still be undersized considering the behemoths we tend to prefer on our OL. Tyron would fit better on a team that runs an Alex-Gibbs-like zone scheme that values smaller, more athletic linemen. This guy just looks too thin for us:

http://www.nfldraftgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Tyron-Smith.jpg

The knee brace may interest a few thinking of taking him in the 1st.........if that is a knee brace.

NJ-STEELER
02-25-2011, 06:17 PM
I would be very disappointed if we picked Smith. The guy won't ever be able to maintain the weight to match up against some of the behemouths he would have to face in the AFC North.

We need power guys who can punch holes versus finesse guys.

isn't that the philosophy we've used the past couple of years? with the results being mediocre

last year we brought in someone who is athletic in pouncey and we saw a drastic improvement in the OL

hawaiiansteel
02-25-2011, 06:26 PM

He is athletic and young. Also one must not forget the Kiffin connection. Tomlin definitely must be having inside info on Tyron Smith.

probably not after this Combine performance, at what number do the Raiders draft? :)

Tyron Smith, OT, USC

As many predicted, Tyron Smith was the big winner at the weigh-ins. Smith's arms measured in at 36 3/8 inches, which is really insane. Smith is also up to 307 pounds despite playing at 285 during the season. The high-upside tackle could go as high as No. 12 to Minnesota or No. 13 to Detroit.

http://walterfootball.com/combine2011stock.php

grotonsteel
02-26-2011, 01:10 PM

probably not after this Combine performance, at what number do the Raiders draft? :)

Tyron Smith, OT, USC

As many predicted, Tyron Smith was the big winner at the weigh-ins. Smith's arms measured in at 36 3/8 inches, which is really insane. Smith is also up to 307 pounds despite playing at 285 during the season. The high-upside tackle could go as high as No. 12 to Minnesota or No. 13 to Detroit.

http://walterfootball.com/combine2011stock.php

Steelers had a nice chat with him..

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Com ... day-2.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Combine-notes-day-2.html)

"He said he met with the Steelers, Browns and Saints and is anticipating repping 225 pounds 35 times this week." Kiffin connection anyone 8) . I am pretty sure Steelers have pretty good inside info on Tyron Smith.

He had bench rep -29. With those huge arms i think that is pretty awesome. I think he goes Top-10. He is easily the No.1 OT in the draft so far.

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Will Steelers Continue Trend of Drafting Young, Underclassmen in 2011 NFL Draft?

by Michael Bean on Mar 1, 2011

Several things stuck out to me while I listened to Jim Wexell share his thoughts about his weekend at the 2011 Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. The first was how he felt like there were numerous talented cornerbacks to be had in the second, third and fourth rounds, yet nobody really that stood out as a worthwhile investment in the first round considering where the Steelers are picking (31st). The second was something Wexell stated about Kevin Colbert's recent propensity to draft young, underclassmen in the first round. Wexell was accurate in his statement that the Steelers have used their first round pick on a 21-year old junior in three of the past four drafts. The trend actually goes back further than that though.

As a quick refresher, the Steelers first round picks this past decade.

2010 - Maurkice Pouncey (Jr.)
2009 - Evander 'Ziggy' Hood (Sr.)
2008 - Rashard Mendenhall (Jr.)
2007 - Lawrence Timmons (Jr.)
2006 - Santonio Holmes (Jr.)
2005 - Heath Miller (Jr.)
2004 - Ben Roethlisberger (Jr.)
2003 - Troy Polamalu (Sr.)
2002 - Kendall Simmons (Sr.)
2001 - Casey Hampton (Sr.)
2000 - Plaxico Burress (Jr.)

So, since Colbert took over as Director of Football Operations in 2000, seven of his 11 first round selections have been juniors who declared early. And since 2004 when Big Ben was selected, all but one of the Steelers top draft picks have been juniors. Timmons, Mendenhall and Pouncey were 21 when they joined the Steelers. As for the other juniors selected last decade? I'll take a pass on looking up which were 21 years of age rather than 22 when they suited up as rookies in the NFL, but if any of you are so inclined, by all means share.

Moving on to 2011. There are 56 underclassmen who have declared for the 2011 NFL Draft, which is a new record. So much for talented fringe juniors opting to return for their senior year because of the ongoing labor situation.

Here's the list, followed by some analysis about which underclassmen might make for a good fit in Pittsburgh in 2011 and beyond.

Player Pos. College

Adams, Darvin WR

Austin, Marvin DT

Ayers, Akeem LB

Baldwin, Jon WR

Bowers, Da'Quan DE

Brown, DeAndre WR

Burton, Brandon DB

Casey, Jurrell DT

Clay, John RB

Claytor, Nick T

Cobb, Randall WR

Dareus, Marcell DE

Doss, Tandon WR

Evans, Darren RB

Fairley, Nick DT

Gabbert, Blaine QB

Green, A.J. WR

Gurley, Tori WR

Guy, Lawrence DT

Hamler, Jamel WR

Harper, Jamie RB

Harris, Brandon DB

Hill, Will DB

Houston, Justin LB

Hynoski, Henry FB

Ingram, Mark RB

Jones, Julio WR

Keiser, Thomas LB

Leshoure, Mikel RB

Lewis, Dion RB

Lewis, Javes DB

Little, Greg WR

Liuget, Corey DT

Mallett, Ryan QB

Moore, Rahim DB

Newton, Cam QB

Parr, Zane DE

Peterson, Patrick DB

Quinn, Robert DE

Ridley, Stevan RB

Rodgers, Jacquizz RB

Rudolph, Kyle TE

Sands, Robert DB

Sash, Tyler DB

Siliga, Sealver DT

Smith, Aldon DE

Smith, Torrey WR

Smith, Tyron T

Tarrant, Jerrard DB

Todman, Jordan RB

Vereen, Shane RB

Watt, J.J. DE

Wilkerson, Muhammad DT

Williams, Aaron DB

Williams, Ryan RB

Wilson, Martez LB

Here's a few guys I highlighted in the list above that I believe are worth keeping a close eye on and learning more about this next month or so. By all means, share whatever you may know about any and all of the underclassmen that declared for the '11 Draft, as well as your thoughts on who I've identified as my intriguing, young, early-round prospects.

Keep an Eye On:

Brandon Burton, CB, Utah: As Jim Wexell mentioned on Monday morning, Burton has two future meetings scheduled with the Steelers. That just about says it all in terms of why we should be keeping an eye on Burton.

Corey Liuget, DE/DT, Illinois: Color me extremely intrigued by Liuget as a potential first-round pick for the Steelers. He'll probably be off the board by the time the Steelers were to select at 31, but I could envision a scenario where the Steelers traded up to the early 20s were he still available. He didn't exactly turn heads at the Combine either, so perhaps his rising stock has flat-lined a little bit. I'll be writing more about this youngster soon.

Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh: I know it may sound blasphemous to think that the Steelers might consider drafting a WR in the first round, but really the situation at the position isn't quite as rosy as some might want to believe. Hines Ward is obviously finishing up his career here in the next several seasons, and beyond that, the Steelers have three guys that are all under 6 feet tall. Mike Wallace is a stud, no doubt. But even though I love Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown as complimentary weapons, I'm not one to believe that they're No. 2 type options. Baldwin would give the Steelers the tall presence at WR they've been sorely missing since Plaxico Burress' departure. Baldwin was a top performer in the bench press, the broad jump, and he posted the highest vertical jump at 42.0 in.

Rahim Moore, S, UCLA: Despite Wexell being less than impressed by his interviewing skills, Moore can't be ignored as an intriguing DB prospect because of his versatility to play both S and CB. I actually think S might be a position the Steelers target early on in this year's draft, but I've not yet done the legwork research-wise to give you much of an informed opinion just yet. But Moore could very well wind up in Pittsburgh if he's on the board at 31.

Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois: You can't have enough speed in today's NFL, especially over the middle of the field. Mike Tomlin knows this, that's for sure. And Wilson just showcased his ridiculous speed at the Combine, posting a 4.49 40. For a 250+ pound guy, that's just ridiculous. Wilson's stellar Combine almost guarantees he'll be the first middle/inside LB taken this year.

Will Hill, CB, Florida: I don't think the Steelers would select Hill with the 31st overall pick, but he's an intriguing prospect if you ask me. He's got solid size and speed, experience making plays on special teams, might be able to play some safety in a pinch, and could contribute as a nickel corner as early as next season.

J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin: This young man looks like he could be a perfect fit for the Steelers. My initial take on him is he could be a hybrid of Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. More Keisel in my preliminary estimation, as he's apparently got great closing speed and solid anticipation when batting down passes -- both Keisel traits. Watt tore it up this past weekend. He was a top performer in almost every workout at the Combine: the bench press, vertical jump, broad jump, three-cone drills, and 20-yard shuttle. I would be thrilled if the Steelers traded up in the first round to land Watt

Tyron Smith, T, USC: Don't necessarily put me in the camp of those who thinks that Smith is a likely candidate to end up in Pittsburgh, but he'd certainly be hard to pass up if he were still available late in the first round. Smith needs to put on some size, and he apparently lacks a solid football IQ at this point in his career. But give him some time in an NFL strength and conditioning program and the size issues will all but certainly be addressed. And get him with the right coaches and I think Smith might make significant strides with his understanding of what goes into playing OT at a high level.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... tt-combine (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/3/1/2022176/steelers-2011-nfl-draft-underclassmen-brandon-burton-corey-liuget-jon-baldwin-jjj-watt-combine)

flippy
03-02-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm hoping for JJ Watt

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm hoping for JJ Watt

from Wexell's "Combine buzz":

5:10 p.m.: J.J. Watt showed up at 6-5 3/8, 290 without an ounce of fat on him. The guy’s built like the perfect 3-4 defensive end, and of course said he’d play that position even if it meant occupying blockers and letting the linebackers make the plays.

That would seem like such a waste for a guy with his speed and motor, but it’s unlikely the Steelers will even get the chance to draft him with the 31st pick. In fact, a source just told me that “the Pats** are all over him.”

Watt said he transferred to Wisconsin a few years ago from Central Michigan in order to get a real shot at making it to the NFL. When reminded that five Chippewas recently played in the Super Bowl, Watt laughed, lauded his former teammates, and said that his problem had more to do with being a tight end in a spread offense and not being able to get anyone to consider moving him to defense. Wisconsin even made him walk on, but it didn’t take Watt long to show his pass-rushing skills.

Watt also was reminded that Mike Vrabel pulled out his old tight end skills in the NFL and Watt said he’d think about that at a later time. I do know that Brett Keisel regrets not stressing to the Steelers’ offensive coaches his skills as a tight end when he was a younger player.